Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Suggestion: make pointbreaks an elite only promotion

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2015, 9:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by demue
The one thing I could see though would be to have Elites get an extra 24-48hrs head start to book Pointsbreaks when they come out.
And when exactly is that??? When they're previewed, or when they're beyond-preview? This whole "preview" business makes it murky to declare when PointsBreaks actually come out.

And besides, haven't some people reported some hotels bookable at PointsBreaks before they were on the list, and others not yet not bookable at PointsBreaks immediately after the list appears (or is that the preview? ).

My #1 suggestion, therefore, is start by getting rid of this preview garbage. Decide when to put out the list, and then put it out all at once, and enable the PB rate on all those hotels at the very same time!

But doesn't that require as much of a competent IHG IT as any other of the suggestions in this thread?
Old Jul 12, 2015, 9:30 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by sdsearch
And when exactly is that??? When they're previewed, or when they're beyond-preview? This whole "preview" business makes it murky to declare when PointsBreaks actually come out.

And besides, haven't some people reported some hotels bookable at PointsBreaks before they were on the list, and others not yet not bookable at PointsBreaks immediately after the list appears (or is that the preview? ).

My #1 suggestion, therefore, is start by getting rid of this preview garbage. Decide when to put out the list, and then put it out all at once, and enable the PB rate on all those hotels at the very same time!

But doesn't that require as much of a competent IHG IT as any other of the suggestions in this thread?
When they become "bookable" assuming those IT guys can manage to implement that.
Old Jul 12, 2015, 11:55 pm

I had never actually heard of point breaks until this thread. Correct me if I'm wrong, but from the website it looks like limited discounts for IHG hotels in the middle of nowhere?

IF you restrict it to elites, are the people who spend a significant portion of their lives in hotels as it is really going to want to go out of their way to stay in the Holiday Inn Express Woodward Highway 270 because its a bit cheaper??
Old Jul 13, 2015, 1:01 am

Originally Posted by phol
I had never actually heard of point breaks until this thread. Correct me if I'm wrong, but from the website it looks like limited discounts for IHG hotels in the middle of nowhere?
You have it spot on!

It's normally random hotels at the side of the motorway/highway although on each round there are usually a few decent ones make their way onto the list but the majority are like that.

Think of them as either a saving on somewhere you were going to go anyway or a cheap getaway to somewhere new and it's great.

You have learned about them at the right time though as a new list should be coming towards the end of this month I think
Old Jul 13, 2015, 2:21 am

Programs: IC Ambassador, IHG Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Miles & More FT
Originally Posted by phol

IF you restrict it to elites, are the people who spend a significant portion of their lives in hotels as it is really going to want to go out of their way to stay in the Holiday Inn Express Woodward Highway 270 because its a bit cheaper??
That's true in general about non attractive hotels on the list but occasionally happens that some nice European IC is on the list. I stayed in IC Wiena, IC Athens and IC Kiev on poinbrakes which was quite good deal.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 2:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by doktor24
I stayed in IC Wiena, IC Athens and IC Kiev on poinbrakes which was quite good deal.
Vienna, Athens and Kiev on Point Breaks is more than "quite good deal" indeed.

There is simply no other loyalty program which offers such benefits.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 3:13 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chrism20
You have it spot on!

It's normally random hotels at the side of the motorway/highway although on each round there are usually a few decent ones make their way onto the list but the majority are like that.

Think of them as either a saving on somewhere you were going to go anyway or a cheap getaway to somewhere new and it's great.

You have learned about them at the right time though as a new list should be coming towards the end of this month I think
You are wrong. When PB was firstly out, we had three years of good run. In memory we have ICs in:
Kiev
Vienna
Rome
Spain
Mexico
Hua Hin
Bali
Vietnam
Johannesburg
Athens
Paphos
Stockholm
Santiago Chile
Argentina
Atlanta (not sure if it was, someone pls correct me)
Beijing
Hangzhou
Shenzhen (very nice IC by the way)
Jakarta
Doha
Toronto
Phnom Penh
India
Fiji
Mauritius
Tahiti

And we had CPs in
Beijing
Shanghai
Prague
Bratislava
Istanbul
Lots lots of USA/Mexico locations

And we had HIs in
Panama
Maldives
Vanuatu

The list only started to get worse and worse when bloggers told it to the world and people from a certain country started to benefits from using the script to book the rooms once the great hotel on preview list open for booking and some even sell the rooms for profit...
Old Jul 13, 2015, 4:00 am

I believe the poster was referring to the current pointsbreak lists which is also what I refer to rather than historical lists from years ago.

That would probably explain the "Normally" and "Although on each round there are a few decent ones make their way onto the list". I didn't indicate it was all crap.

I agree we had a good run years ago however it is not indicative of current trends, whether bloggers are to wholly to blame is another debate altogether, part of it will be them but then you also have to factor in an improving economy in some markets where rates are back to pre-recession levels. And yes the behaviour from some in a particular market definitely didn't help.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.