Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 5, 2015, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: scubaccr
List of properties that have (or have not) recognised Spire. AND Provided Spire 'Specific' Benefit.

I suggest listing country, brand, property, how you were recognised (Club/not at all etc) and the month you stayed that way if anyone stays after that date we can have an update on whether things have changed.

Or if anyone can think of a better solution feel free to change it.

INDIA
CP JAIPUR - Suite upgrade, club access, happy hour with free snacks, Spire Elite label placed on your table for better treatment - Sep 2016

INDONESIA
IC Bali - local gift at check-in, room upgrade, free breakfast - Jan 2016

JAPAN

IC Tokyo Bay, not recognised at all, August 2015

NETHERLANDS
CP Amsterdam South - Spires Amenity choice now 'Lounge/Drink/600pts' on both paid+Award nights.
(On paid nights at checkin likely to be offered Junior Suite upgrade too if room is free, but not offered on awards.)

UNITED KINGDOM

CP London Heathrow. Free breakfast only. Offered discounted cash payment of 24 GBP pp for lounge access June 2016
Indigo Paddington, no recognisition. September 2015 (this hotel now gives good upgrades to Spire even when checking in late)
Indigo Kensington/Earls Court - apparently recognised. Got nothing not even Welcome Amenity, October 2015
HI Haydock M6 - J23, recognised as club. September 2015
HI London Gatwick Worth, Recognised as Club, September 2015
HI Express Birmingham NEC recognised as "basic member" August 2015
HIX Birmingham Star City, no recognition or amenity - January 2016
HIX Hamilton, recognised as club Aug 2015, recog. Spire Aug 2016
HI Birmingham M6, recognised as club Sept 2015 & Oct 2015, recognised as Spire January 2016
HIX Leigh Sports Village, recognised as club Sept 2015
HI Portsmouth, recognised as Club 22/October/2015
HI Leeds - Wakefield, recognised as club 19th December 2015
HI Luton Airport Recognised as Club 18th March 2016
HI Norwich Airport Me Recognised as Platinum June 3rd 2016
HI Norwich Airport MrsB Recognisd as Club June 3rd 2016.

USA

HI Express, Chicago, IL, recognized at Platinum (not Spire), October/2015. No benefits

THAILAND

HI Pattaya, Thailand, recognized at Platinum (not Spire), November/2105. August 2016, recognized as Spire, upgrade to Ocean View Suite but no benefits

CHINA

CP Guangzhou Haidu letter recognising as a Spire but no benefits additional to Golds. No room upgrade
CP Qingdao No letter, no recognition nothing
Print Wikipost

Discussion about new top tier: Spire

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2018, 1:52 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, ALL Silver,, Miles&More
Originally Posted by 2old4coach
We have qualified for Sprire 3 years in a row.
I too was shocked to find out after 100 nights a year in CP and HI that there were few if any perks. Even on my IC stays we received an upgrade of sorts , just a 2 floor higher room... 8 to 10 In a 28 floor hotel... I am reading that even Royal Ambassador status had been "enhanced" = significantly downgraded.

I love when I get an "enhanced" membership. Up on obtaing Spire the first time I was expecting something more but some hotels had heard of Spire but did not know how to handle it. We received nothing extra EVER!

Welcome to Spire You have been "Enhanced". OUCH! Sorry!
PS you can get 25,000 points on the web site or gift gold to someone else. I used my bonus poits to "buy" ambassador membership for the free weekend night.
This program is a joke for frequent stayers. The times I have stayed in HI express have been marginal experiences. In this hotel category Hampton Inn is far better and Hiton does upgrade Diamonds and Golds. I am avoiding all Holiday inns and Holiday inn expresses and when I have to stay in a small town with few hotels even Best Western ... is better than HIX.
Not agreed.

4 of 5 times I get the best floors and rooms including large suites at HIX, HI and ICs.

Last week and this week: HI Hamburg, HIX Frankfurt Messe, HI Düsseldorf Hafen, HI Essen City Centre (no upgrade), HI Brno, IC Vienna (now).

Greetings from IC Vienna Club floor.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 3:16 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
First year of Spire was a pig for IHG. Far too many Spires due to incorrect 60k EQP CC signups, so Spire bennies not persued by IHG with their franchices in 2015 and thus also 2016 as Spire earned in 2015 is valid next calendar year of 2016

I could accept above, but now that EQP flood is fixed, i had expected worthwhile bennies from Spire status to commence 2017 which never happened.

Trouble is also some hotels that gave good Platinum recognition, then stopped that, and instead give only to lower number of Spires , downgrading value of Platinum which is not IHGs intent
Old Oct 19, 2018, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
The promise of Spire equivalent to other chain top-tier benefits to come is becoming an awful lot like Lucy and the football these days.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 12:36 am
Suspended

Programs: M&S, Radisson
The amount of irrational decisionmaking ITT is just staggering. It's absolutely nothing new that IHG rewards club is a points-focused, not a recognition-focused program. It's been like that for years, and IHG hasn't given any indication that things are about to change. So how can people be continually disappointed?

If you want recognition as opposed to free nights, you're in the wrong place... Is that so hard to understand?
Old Oct 20, 2018, 1:48 am

Originally Posted by scubaccr
First year of Spire was a pig for IHG. Far too many Spires due to incorrect 60k EQP CC signups, so Spire bennies not persued by IHG with their franchices in 2015 and thus also 2016 as Spire earned in 2015 is valid next calendar year of 2016

I could accept above, but now that EQP flood is fixed, i had expected worthwhile bennies from Spire status to commence 2017 which never happened.

Trouble is also some hotels that gave good Platinum recognition, then stopped that, and instead give only to lower number of Spires , downgrading value of Platinum which is not IHGs intent
Unfortunately nothing will change until you can stop getting Spire with approximately 12x1 night stays at around £50 each. Yes the 5k rates are now more difficult to find but with 3k ones readily available you are probably looking at around 20 nights at around £60 instead.

The reality is it will probably take another new level to fix this or someone with balls to go into IHGRC and completely rewrite the top two tiers. Whatever possessed them to think that they could make platinum easier to attain with no change to benefits whilst introducing a whole new level and expecting the hotels to deliver on it is beyond me.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 2:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
The promise of Spire equivalent to other chain top-tier benefits to come is becoming an awful lot like Lucy and the football these days.
I had to Google that. It's an apt and entertaining metaphor - so thanks for enriching my cultural environment
Points Scrounger likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 2:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chrism20
Unfortunately nothing will change until you can stop getting Spire with approximately 12x1 night stays at around £50 each. Yes the 5k rates are now more difficult to find but with 3k ones readily available you are probably looking at around 20 nights at around £60 instead.
Clearly I've missed something - what's this all about?

My "natural" travel easily triggers a Spire renewal, so I've not paid much attention to the alternative roads to stardom in the programme.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 3:44 am

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
Clearly I've missed something - what's this all about?

My "natural" travel easily triggers a Spire renewal, so I've not paid much attention to the alternative roads to stardom in the programme.
Bonus point packages are elite qualifying - including the bonus points.

its possible to get IHG top status with circa 12 stays. Until that is fixed nothing is ever going to change. I doubt it will change though as IHG will make money from the sale of the points.

Old Oct 20, 2018, 6:40 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by 1flyer
The amount of irrational decisionmaking ITT is just staggering. It's absolutely nothing new that IHG rewards club is a points-focused, not a recognition-focused program. It's been like that for years, and IHG hasn't given any indication that things are about to change. So how can people be continually disappointed?
For most the act of creating a new, harder to attain top tier was taken as an indication of change.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 6:54 am
Suspended

Programs: M&S, Radisson
Originally Posted by Keefy-boy
For most the act of creating a new, harder to attain top tier was taken as an indication of change.
That was in 2015, three years and four months ago.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 8:41 am

Originally Posted by Keefy-boy
Originally Posted by 1flyer
That was in 2015, three years and four months ago.
To be fair when IHG launched Spire the press release said

This is just the start of a series of exciting enhancements we will be introducing to continue recognising and building rewarding relationships with our members.”
From memory we have had 5* with Hertz and ebooks via Kindle. Hardly what I would describe exciting.

I think that is as exciting as it’s going to get though and as @1flyer said the programme is points focused and in general the benefits and perks are better found elsewhere.

https://www.ihgplc.com/en/news-and-m...el-spire-elite
Points Scrounger likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 9:26 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist
Looking at it purely as a vacation traveler . . . The main reason I make an attempt to reach Spire each year is for the Kimpton recognition--room upgrades. For those who are able or have a desire to stay at Kimpton. Also Holiday Inn Resort properties have come through with some good room upgrades (1 bedroom suites with kitchens). Infrequent vacations outside the U.S. have yielded some nice Crowne Plaza upgrades. Also the 100% bonus points on stays is important to me, as well.

Last edited by Steph58; Oct 20, 2018 at 9:28 am Reason: Typo
Old Oct 20, 2018, 11:28 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, ALL Silver,, Miles&More
Originally Posted by Steph58
Looking at it purely as a vacation traveler . . . The main reason I make an attempt to reach Spire each year is for the Kimpton recognition--room upgrades. For those who are able or have a desire to stay at Kimpton. Also Holiday Inn Resort properties have come through with some good room upgrades (1 bedroom suites with kitchens). Infrequent vacations outside the U.S. have yielded some nice Crowne Plaza upgrades. Also the 100% bonus points on stays is important to me, as well.
I am member (located in Germany and Austria) since 2007 ("Priority Club"), Platinum before and Spire since 2015, and mainly a business traveller, using points for holiday stays. The room upgrades for Spire members are up to some categories in HIs including their largest suites on best floors, and to the best rooms on the best floors at HIXs. To enhance the stay experience on paid or reward stays at ICs I do recommend to pay one time a year the small AMB membership fee. CPs grant eventually lounge access for Spire members.

Breakfast is not complementary (HIX provides breakfast for any guest), which was a no-go for me in the past. But I see it relaxed meanwhile, I pay for breakfast resp. book the discounted breakfast rates.

Points earning is most generous for Spire members plus promotions allows you to earn even more. Redemption rates are yet relatively reasonable even for luxury hotels compared to Marriott and Hilton.

Comparing with other programs it has to be considered also that practically one gets IHG rooms at reasonable rates of 100 to 200 Euros per night during times of high occupancy (which seem to be normal during the past months) in metropolitan areas in Germany where there are many HI and HIX (Frankfurt, Düsseldorf, Cologne, Hamburg etc.). I was searching for Marriott/SPG and Hilton hotels which during the same period of time were practically unavailable for stays or available for 300-500 Euros per night including limited service brands like Moxy or Hampton (I must admit Marriott and Hilton do have more upscale and premium branded hotels). That might not be everywhere the case. In Vienna, Austria, you find only two IHG hotels (IC and HI), it is easier to find an available Marriott hotel (they have 12 there) and with a reasonable rate.

To renew Spire with 12 stays or nights is theory, but using bonus points packages allow you to reach Spire in 20-30 stays (nights) which is comparable to Hilton Honors Gold/Diamond. You can reduce the number of stays/nights further by spending more money.

I am undecided meanwhile how IHG should handle the Rewards Club program and Spire in future. Actually I am not that dissatisfied that I would insist in a change. If a change to more benefits like comp. breakfast would mean stricter rules like less eligible bonus points packages I would go with it. What I really miss are more premium properties like new or upgraded Holiday Inns or Crowne Plazas, the announced "Voco" branded collection not in five years after announcement but now, more or renovated InterContinentals, "Regent" branded luxury hotels like in Berlin now, and integrated in the program now, and not some years after like Kimpton.

Last edited by submonte; Oct 20, 2018 at 12:38 pm
Old Oct 20, 2018, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by Steph58
​​​​There is the fact that Spire is not exempt from the $25 fee at Kimptons, and they seem to be in no hurry to have Kimpton incidentals earn IHG point credit.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by submonte
...CPs grant eventually lounge access for Spire members....

Some do, but most don't.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.