Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Point and Cash

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2015, 3:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Platinum, Marriott LT Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Platinum Pro, AS MVP Gold
Point and Cash

Posting since I couldn't find relevant info after searching for about half an hour.

As we know, if you book a point + cash booking, then cancel it, the dollar amount you paid will be refunded back to you in the points format (@ 0.7cent/p).

My question is - is it possible to get refunded by the original dollar amount? Can I write to IHG to request that?

Thanks!
Old Jun 26, 2015, 8:01 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
No. No refunds.

-If I cancel a Rewards Night reservation that was made through the Points & Cash program, can I get a refund?
You will get your points back instantly when you cancel a Reward Nights reservation, however, no cash will be refunded.

https://www.ihg.com/hotels/us/en/cus...re/faq/rewards
Old Jun 27, 2015, 3:26 am

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by jazzmailman
Posting since I couldn't find relevant info after searching for about half an hour.

As we know, if you book a point + cash booking, then cancel it, the dollar amount you paid will be refunded back to you in the points format (@ 0.7cent/p).

My question is - is it possible to get refunded by the original dollar amount? Can I write to IHG to request that?

Thanks!
You agreed the us$70 was NON-refundable at the time you made your p&c booking, you could so easily have checked that by making another dummy booking night under p&c

"I authorize a charge of $70.00 per night for a total of $70.00 charged to my specified payment method for the immediate purchase of 10,000 total IHG® Rewards Club points to be applied towards this Reward Night booking. This point purchase fee is non-refundable."
Old Jun 27, 2015, 8:39 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by scubaccr
"I authorize a charge of $70.00 per night for a total of $70.00 charged to my specified payment method for the immediate purchase of 10,000 total IHG® Rewards Club points to be applied towards this Reward Night booking. This point purchase fee is non-refundable."
And that is the reality of making a Points & Cash reservation.

There are really two transactions that take place. First, you purchased the points. Second, you make an award hotel reservation using points. Each transaction has its own T&Cs. Points purchases aren't refundable. Award room reservations usually are refundable (up to a certain point before the actual stay.)

So you can cancel the reservation and get your points back, but you can't cancel the points "purchase" and get your money back.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 6:35 am

Programs: UA P, Delta SL, US SL, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, IHG PL AMB, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat
I just went through this and what happens is that the points you purchased as part of the points & cash reward are deposited to your account, that is if it was $50 plus some number of points, you will get $50 worth of points back in your account when you cancel within the cancellation period. The points portion of the reservation also goes back into your account.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 1:45 pm

Programs: IC Spire Ambassador
While it's by no means guaranteed, you might have luck contacting customer service and asking. Even if things are "nonrefundable" if you ask nicely enough they will sometimes make an exception.

I know when I first purchased my Ambassador membership (which is also nonrefundable) within 5 minutes I called to cancel it (misread the terms and thought it applied to all properties rather than just IC) and the customer service agent told me it would be impossible to get a refund. The next morning I had an email offering to go ahead and refund my money and cancel the membership (by which point I'd already decided to keep it, so it was a moot point)

The point being, it never hurts to ask for a one-time exception. Worst they can do is say no. Just don't expect it, and if it does happen it probably won't happen more than once.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.