HIX Breakfast was awful

Old Jun 23, 2015, 4:31 am

Programs: DL PM/MM, IHG SA, National EE, Hertz PC, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Fanjet
My experience is quite the opposite. I find the the breakfasts at U.S. HIXs quite unhealthy. Mostly pre-packaged crap loaded with fats and sugars, put out on a tray for guests. I will agree that the HIXs in the U.S. have larger rooms with more furnishings inside them. But the HIXs I stay at in Germany and Poland put out a nice (and healthier) breakfast. Real bread rolls. Hard boiled eggs (sometimes soft-boiled eggs). And not the scrambled eggs made from those cartons of egg mix used in the U.S.
The HIXs I have stayed in Germany have all had good breakfasts, much better than the US. Everything seems fresh, unlike the US.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 4:31 am

Originally Posted by chrisksc
HIXs breakfast are hits and misses, really, depending where they are.

Generally, breakfast at HIXs in China are good, with varieties that include non-meat (bread, buns, fried rice, plain porridge, etc) and meat (pork and non-pork as well).

Some even have cooking staff making eggs and noodle where most are self-service.

Some HIXs in Hong Kong give you a selections of set meal, generally 3, to choose. So, it is a break away from buffet style.

For Bangkok, breakfast at HIX Sathorn and HIX Sukumvit are not bad.

For Jakarta HIXs, the one at Pluit is good but not the one at Tharmin. Tharmin has by far the worst breakfast I ever had. And I am not a particular person.
you can't be if you think breakfast at HIX in China is good.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 4:37 am

Programs: DL PM/MM, IHG SA, National EE, Hertz PC, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Thumper
While inedible food is not a great way to start the day, I know there is fresh fruit, boxes of cereal, etc.

You chose the most "cost effective" (cheap) solution in the IHG inventory and are upset that you got what you paid for.
I don't know if I agree with that....

HIX & SB breakfasts in the states for free, beats the crap out of most of the breakfasts at HI and some CPs these days.

While not great HIX & SB have a standard, unlike HIs and CPs.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 6:10 am

Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat.,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
Originally Posted by aljacket
I don't know if I agree with that....

HIX & SB breakfasts in the states for free, beats the crap out of most of the breakfasts at HI and some CPs these days.

While not great HIX & SB have a standard, unlike HIs and CPs.
Most HI breakfasts I have had have been very good. About half the time they comp. because I am IHG member. When I do have to pay the prices are reasonable especially for a hotel. CP I have less experience with but so far their breakfast was the worst. While it was a fairly extensive buffet, it was poor quality food and not prepared well (lots of burnt items). Ironically the same CP had an okay restaurant for dinner. YMMV...

--Jon
Old Jun 23, 2015, 8:06 am

Originally Posted by camsean
I've only ever tried HIX Shenzhen (Luohu) - it was not lavish but certainly much better than any HIX in the US.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 9:43 am

Programs: IHG Spire Elite,Star Alliance
I think prices for breakfasts in HI's are terrible....even serving yourself to congealed eggs.... Dry bacon....dead beans....etc etc

The HIX are a bit hit or miss but certainly in mainland Europe it is far more like a trad brekkie. .meats and cheese plus the one I am in now in Paris does fresh cooked eggs ....fried or omlette for 3 euro

Maybe I am easily pleased or some of you guys need to lighten up.....joke!!!
Old Jun 23, 2015, 12:39 pm
Suspended

They are really good. Actually the HIXs in Asia are very much better than those in the USA and Europe.

In USA, as others have mentioned, you get food prepared by server or come with pre-packaged stuff. In many places you have meat paste instead of bacon. If there is bacon it is paper thin and dry. The only good thing is the cinnamon bun but those are factory made too.

In China, you generally have a buffet that provide a mix of Chinese and Western food. It is not great but good enough. For example, in HIX Dongzhimen, there are properly trained chefs making breakfast. In fact, almost all HIX breakfast in China are prepared by chefs with certain degree of training.

In Hong Kong, HIX Soho and Causeway Bay have breakfast prepared by restaurant on site. Both are very high quality. Although Causeway Bay serve set breakfast rather than buffet from memory.

HIX Kowloon East use the ballroom in Crowne Plaza next door to serve breakfast and it is prepared by the same chef from Crowne Plaza. And the breakfast in Crowne Plaza is way ahead of some ICs in the USA I have stayed.

In Thailand, the HIX serve real fruit juice and a selection of health breakfast items. Could you tell me when last time you had REAL fruit juice in any the US or European HIXs?

Have not tried the HIX in Taiwan and Singapore yet. But the one in Taiwan have very good report.

In UK the HIX breakfast is not bad but can be better. Nowadays in the USA I prefer to stay in HI rather than HIX as I can drive to any Denny's, Ihop or diners to have breakfast there. And more chance of upgrade in HIs too.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 2:18 pm

Recent stay at the HIX Amsterdam Airport I was pleasantly surprised by the breakfast. Did not try the pastries, but had fresh fruit (satsumas), soft boiled egg, bread roll, cheese - simple, but all decent quality and the breakfast room was clean, bright and spacious. Also passable coffee, and take away cups in case you need a second one on the way to the airport for an early flight (I did). For evening meals they had a range of menus from local restaurants who deliver to the hotel (some free delivery, some with a nominal delivery charge). All round better that I expected.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
And grapefruit are peeled, the segments separated and de-skinned by hand; the sausage skins filled with freshly minced meat in the kitchens ...
Actually, there have been a couple of HIXs in Germany and Poland that serve cuts of fresh fruit. However, the grapefruit and oranges are peeled by knife, and then cut into circular rings. But most HIXs there will have cut up tomatoes and cucumbers; and whole fruit. As for the sausage... no one is expecting them to have a sausage grinder in the back kitchen. But pre-cooked sausage that is packaged, shipped, then reheated weeks or months later is something for a 7-11 convience store.

Last edited by Fanjet; Jun 23, 2015 at 6:19 pm
Old Jun 23, 2015, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Actually, there have been a couple of HIXs in Germany and Poland that serve cuts of fresh fruit. However, the gradefruit and oranges are peeled by knife, and then cut into circular rings. But most HIXs there will have cut up tomatoes and cucumbers; and whole fruit. As for the sausage... no one is expecting them to have a sausage grinder in the back kitchen. But pre-cooked sausage that is packaged, shipped, then reheated weeks or months later is something for a 7-11 convience store.
I know, i was being silly

But I really wonder how much of what we understand as "fresh" is valid. Months' old frozen vegetables offer equal or better nutritional value than fresh versions only a few days' old: or so they tell me.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
I know, i was being silly

But I really wonder how much of what we understand as "fresh" is valid. Months' old frozen vegetables offer equal or better nutritional value than fresh versions only a few days' old: or so they tell me.
Who's telling you that? It all depends upon how you prepare the vegetables. When they are boiled, their nutrients are being boiled out as well. Fresh or frozen. Eating them raw is the most nutritious. However, one is more likley to eat fresh vegetables raw than they are frozen ones.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 7:04 pm

Programs: IC Spire Ambassador
Who's telling you that? It all depends upon how you prepare the vegetables. When they are boiled, their nutrients are being boiled out as well. Fresh or frozen. Eating them raw is the most nutritious. However, one is more likley to eat fresh vegetables raw than they are frozen ones.
Not necessarily true:
http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...are-healthier/

As with most things, it depends on what it is and what you need out of it.

However, strictly speaking, fresh raw veggies vs flash-frozen raw veggies are still basically identical to one another, nutrition wise, with the exception that yes, sometimes frozen is actually healthier due to the ripeness level when it was frozen:
http://www.eatingwell.com/nutrition_...fo?from_m=true
Old Jun 24, 2015, 12:16 am

Programs: KF Gold, QF Gold, MR Platinum, Accor Platinum, IHG Platinum
I always skipped my breakfast in HIX China

I believe the best breakfast I had in HIX was in HIX Semarang. ^
Old Jun 24, 2015, 1:05 am
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Eating breakfast off disposable plates sets the scene for disappointment. Food on proper plates presents better than on paper/plastic - and the impression is more favourable.

Please, please, please - why can't HIXs in North America use proper plates. Can't we reduce the amount of trash coming out of these places?
Old Jun 24, 2015, 2:58 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by og
Eating breakfast off disposable plates sets the scene for disappointment. Food on proper plates presents better than on paper/plastic - and the impression is more favourable.

Please, please, please - why can't HIXs in North America use proper plates. Can't we reduce the amount of trash coming out of these places?
I believe the breakfast staff is contracted by hour. So it is cheaper and easier to have disposable paper/plastic tableware. If they are to change to real plates, they need to extend the hours of contract employee by at least two hours each day thus more money to be spent. To do that, the hotels will need to either reduce the offering in breakfast or raise the rates. either way it will have negative impact on the brand. While HIX hotels in Asia can generally afford real plates, there is less room for implement such measures in the USA where the labour rate is high. Just my 2c.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.