Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HIX Breakfast was awful

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2015, 8:10 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, ALL Silver,, Miles&More
Originally Posted by Foxtbh
I find that HIX in Europe consistently fails to live up to the standards of HIX in the US and the breakfast provision is no exception. HIX Europe very much feels like Super-8 level accommodation in Europe but a cut above in the US.
I have been staying at many HIX in Europe (Germany - Essen, Dortmund, Frankfurt Main city and area, Munich, Cologne, Baden-Baden, others -, Switzerland - Affoltern am Albis which is Zurch area, and another one more Motel type at a Swiss highway near Zurich -, France - Strasbourg) in the past years. Breakfast always was fully ok for that type of breakfast service, without exception. Never experienced such things like described (HIX Liverpool airport). Also no fail of consistency. If happened so, I would have been the first to complain and finally avoid to stay at that brand, which would have had negative influence on my IHG loyality as well.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 9:20 am

Programs: IC Spire Ambassador
With HIX it really seems to be hit and miss.
Even with the "same breakfasts" at most of them, I definitely can tell big differences in the quality.

For instance, the one I stayed at over this weekend has probably one of the most horrible breakfasts out of all them - the juice was watered down, meat and eggs were cold, but the biscuits were the best I've had at an HIX.

The one I stayed at a couple of weeks ago had a much better breakfast. The eggs were actually decent, sausage and bacon were great.... But the biscuits were hard as a rock.

Ultimately though, I'm happy enough with the frosted flakes and yogurt. I'll pass on the cooked foods usually. so long as I get what I paid for lodging-wise, the breakfast, if it's decent is a bonus, and if its not I still got my money's worth with the room.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Froggitt
You would have very few takers. Standard is way below chain breakfast providers eg Beefeater, Wetherspoon. You couldn't charge for it.
but my cunning scheme has nothing to do with passing customers: just a cosmetic exercise to allow IHG to demonstrate over-nighters are being given (free) a service they'd otherwise have to pay for

Of course, the hotels could always up their act to attract passing trade. That way we'd be winners as well...
Old Jun 21, 2015, 1:53 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, ALL Silver,, Miles&More
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
but my cunning scheme has nothing to do with passing customers: just a cosmetic exercise to allow IHG to demonstrate over-nighters are being given (free) a service they'd otherwise have to pay for

Of course, the hotels could always up their act to attract passing trade. That way we'd be winners as well...
Well I imagine I need to get something in my stomach (after having arrived late night before) plus (urgently ) coffee in the early morning before I sit in the car and rush to the next meeting.

Observing myself during business stays, for me it is sufficient breakfast what HIX provides. In Crown Plazas or HIs I pay for it, if I have time enough left for breakfast, eat one roll or bread ("Semmel" in South Germany) with butter, cheese, salami, two cup of black coffee no milk no sugar. Very seldom scrambled eggs and sausages. That is all. Waste of money to pay for a full buffet breakfast every time.

So for business stays the HIX breakfast concept is exactly what I need, except I invite a business guest to breakfast, but then I do not stay at an HIX.

On the contrary at leisure stays. I take my time and enjoy a (paid or comp) full buffet breakfast (at upscale or luxury hotels).

I have another wish for HIX, which is of course not topic of this thread. More choices in the evening than three types of pizzas. Maybe some pastas and sausages and schnitzel and French fries. Many HIX are not located where restaurants are in the near so I have to look for a McDonalds or rest stop before to not go to sleep hungry or again leave the hotel by car.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
Equally, I don't think you can walk in off the street and buy the breakfast. I'm not sure you'd want to (), but by offering a retail avenue to breakfast HIX's would go some way towards validating their claim to offering room-guests a free breakfast.
Actually, at one of the HIXs in Berlin, they offer breakfast to non-guests (for purchase). I think it is around 7 or 8 Euros. They even put a sign on the sidewalk in front of the hotel.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 2:38 pm

I've seen a HIX in the US offer breakfast to non-guests for $5. The sign was at the entrance to the breakfast area.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 4:53 pm

Programs: AA LifeTime PLT (2.982 MM, But 3MM+ Total), HHonors GOLD, IHG AMB
Stayed Liverpool JL Airport HIX on a 5,000 pointbreak. I know breakfast is free there, but I would rather pay for something edible.

* OJ tasted like hydrated OJ syrup
* Scrambled eggs and beans tasted the same as each other.....an odd cardboardby taste
* Needed paper napkin to drain unidentified liquid coming out of the egg from my plate before it made my warm bread (see below) soggy
* Grapefruit segments tasted of another syrup that they were sitting in
* Hot chocolate tasted like pish water
* Toaster makes warm bread rather than toast.
Oh! No cinnamon buns, huh? This must be taken care of----how dare they. :-:

Too bad HIX Buckhurst Hill is no more. Loved that place for Ł35, a 1km walk, and the complaints that followed during B-fast. Great entertainment.
Old Jun 22, 2015, 1:32 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Honors Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb, Marriott Platinum,SQ, DL, AA, Hyatt
HIXs breakfast are hits and misses, really, depending where they are.

Generally, breakfast at HIXs in China are good, with varieties that include non-meat (bread, buns, fried rice, plain porridge, etc) and meat (pork and non-pork as well).

Some even have cooking staff making eggs and noodle where most are self-service.

Some HIXs in Hong Kong give you a selections of set meal, generally 3, to choose. So, it is a break away from buffet style.

For Bangkok, breakfast at HIX Sathorn and HIX Sukumvit are not bad.

For Jakarta HIXs, the one at Pluit is good but not the one at Tharmin. Tharmin has by far the worst breakfast I ever had. And I am not a particular person.
Old Jun 22, 2015, 2:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: PC Platinum, CC Gold Elite, VS Red
Originally Posted by submonte
I have another wish for HIX, which is of course not topic of this thread. More choices in the evening than three types of pizzas. Maybe some pastas and sausages and schnitzel and French fries.
Pizzas and industrial 2 foot by 1 foot slabs of scrambled egg you shove in an oven and wait for the "ding". Anything more than that, like pasta, and you're in cooking territory, which HIX don't do.
Old Jun 22, 2015, 3:29 am

Pizzas and industrial 2 foot by 1 foot slabs of scrambled egg you shove in an oven and wait for the "ding". Anything more than that, like pasta, and you're in cooking territory, which HIX don't do.
There are some HIXs that do fairly decent food out there. Preston South, Burnley, Greenock, Strathclyde are ones off the top of my head that I can think of, Preston even does steak.

Any of the BDL or ex More Than properties have a reasonable menu available and at least try, most of the others though it's just the pizzas.

Others such as Glasgow Theatreland & Aberdeen Exhibition will allow you to eat in the neighbouring HI and you can charge it to your HIX room.
Old Jun 22, 2015, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by Fanjet
My experience is quite the opposite. I find the the breakfasts at U.S. HIXs quite unhealthy. Mostly pre-packaged crap loaded with fats and sugars, put out on a tray for guests. I will agree that the HIXs in the U.S. have larger rooms with more furnishings inside them. But the HIXs I stay at in Germany and Poland put out a nice (and healthier) breakfast. Real bread rolls. Hard boiled eggs (sometimes soft-boiled eggs). And not the scrambled eggs made from those cartons of egg mix used in the U.S.
American HIX have hard boiled eggs in the refrigerator case, along with milk and yogurt. I have no idea what you mean by "put on a tray" exactly? They have gluten-free pastries as well, although at some places one must request those from the kitchen.
Old Jun 22, 2015, 9:18 am

Programs: IC Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
They have gluten-free pastries as well, although at some places one must request those from the kitchen.
Really? Is that rather standard? I just assumed it was what you see is what you get. I will have to keep that in mind in the future. I have no problem with gluten, but my partner has celiac so that is very interesting to know. I shall be sure to ask next time we end up staying in one.
Old Jun 22, 2015, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Originally Posted by submonte
I have been staying at many HIX in Europe (Germany - Essen, Dortmund, Frankfurt Main city and area, Munich, Cologne, Baden-Baden, others -, Switzerland - Affoltern am Albis which is Zurch area, and another one more Motel type at a Swiss highway near Zurich -, France - Strasbourg) in the past years. Breakfast always was fully ok for that type of breakfast service, without exception. Never experienced such things like described (HIX Liverpool airport). Also no fail of consistency. If happened so, I would have been the first to complain and finally avoid to stay at that brand, which would have had negative influence on my IHG loyality as well.
Yes, the breakfasts I have had at HIX Frankfurt am Main (Messe/convention center) were WAY above the U.S. standard. Real food, lots of variety, in a very spacious, pleasant, attractive setting. (Admittedly, it's been a few years since I was last there.) On the other hand, the rooms there were very sparsely furnished -- almost spartan.

With regard to the comments about dinner food, I haven't stayed at any HIX in the U.S. that had any. But the abovementioned HIX Frankfurt had a small bar (selling, if I recall correctly, beer & wine), which offered pizzas for sale in the evening. Since this particular HIX is in a somewhat out-of-the-way location, that came in handy.
Old Jun 22, 2015, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
American HIX have hard boiled eggs in the refrigerator case, along with milk and yogurt. I have no idea what you mean by "put on a tray" exactly? They have gluten-free pastries as well, although at some places one must request those from the kitchen.
All of those things are pre-packaged and removed from their packaging in the back kitchen before being put on a tray or pan for guests. Do you think that they are boiling the eggs there? No. They come delivered by U.S. Foods (or another distributor) in a sealed plastic bag. The sausage patties? Pre-cooked at the distribution center. Then re-heated in a convection oven at the HIX. That "fresh" fruit salad? It comes delivered in a large palstic jar.

Now, at the HIXs in Germany and Poland, those hard boiled eggs are still in their shell.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 2:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Fanjet
Now, at the HIXs in Germany and Poland, those hard boiled eggs are still in their shell.
And grapefruit are peeled, the segments separated and de-skinned by hand; the sausage skins filled with freshly minced meat in the kitchens ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.