Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador
Reload this Page >

IHGSteve: Can we get a final ruling on Resort Fees on Reward Night stays?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2015, 10:09 am
Original Poster

Some IHG Properties have resort fees.

When booking a free night through points or a free night certificate, all costs should be included (including resort fees).

Correct?

If so, can you post a link to this policy so that I don't have to spend an hour arguing with check-out clerks anymore.

I have also been having issues with IHG hotels charging my credit card for a reward night stay for the full cost of the room and having to spend hours / days resolving the issue if ever. It is beyond frustrating.

Thanks!
breakthrough37 likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 7:35 pm
Original Poster

Ok...let's open this up to anyone.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 7:45 pm

Programs: Hyatt PL, PC Spire/RA, HH GOLD, SPG Green, Marriott Silver, Skywards B, CSA Gold, Lufthansa Paper,UA
Dear Mr. Whatever

Thank you for your email regarding billing concern with the The Venetian Las Vegas, NV. We apologize for any inconvenience this situation may have caused you.

As previously explained to you by our Rewards Club Agent, Reward Nights and Free Nights only covers Room and tax/vat. However, other charges such as Resort Fees, gratuities, etc. are to be paid directly to the hotel. For more information on your resort fee coverage, you may contact The Venetian hotel at 702-414-1000 or send email to [email protected].

Once again thank you for contacting us.

Best regards,
John Doe JR.
Case Manager
Guest Relations
IHG
Old Jun 12, 2015, 1:13 am

Programs: QF: GLD, VA, PLAT, HI: DIA; IHG: RA; AM: CENT
I have generally just checked and confirmed that if there are any resort fees that they be removed as a gold member the majority of the resort fee "inclusions" which used to be wifi and i think gym from memory were basic privileges assigned any way. The front desk was happy to remove them.
Old Jun 12, 2015, 8:45 pm

Programs: US Air, Hilton, Priority Club, AA, UA
fees

At the IC Scottsdale. now an omni hotel. We were not charged the $25 resort fee per day on award travel because we are platinum members. But at the Hamilton crown plaza we were charged an extra $10 day room upgrade which was not worth it
Old Jun 14, 2015, 2:07 pm
Company Representative, Intercontinental Hotels

Programs: IHG Rewards Club
Hi. I'll pass along your questions to the service center. Stay tuned.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 3:35 pm

From the IHG Rewards Club Service Center: Members should not have to pay for resort fees when staying on reward nights.

In instances when you've been charged, I'd always suggest contacting the service center. Apparently resorts don't always communicate to the service center that there are resort fees also to cover for a guest.
TravelinSperry likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 4:49 pm

Programs: WN A-list CP, IHG plat, Hyatt plat, United Silver, Hilton Gold
I wasn't charged fees at the HI Resort in Cabo
Old Jun 16, 2015, 8:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IHGSteve
From the IHG Rewards Club Service Center: Members should not have to pay for resort fees when staying on reward nights.

In instances when you've been charged, I'd always suggest contacting the service center. Apparently resorts don't always communicate to the service center that there are resort fees also to cover for a guest.
Thanks Steve. I will let the hotel know and get them in touch with the resort service center.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 8:41 am
Original Poster

Steve:
Here is what the service center said:

"Unfortunately, we do not have access to the hotel's billing information. Since most hotels are independently owned and/or operated, all billing information is handled by each property locally. Please contact the hotel directly for billing inquiries."

I suppose I can get them to call the service center while I am trying to check out in the future to clarify and get the fees removed at the local level. What should I do about getting fees removed on a stay from last week where I sat in the lobby and argued with them for an hour over the incorrect charges?
Old Jun 22, 2015, 8:39 am

Just to clarify: Someone else has reminded me this isn't true. The Venetian and The Palazzo in Las Vegas are exceptions. You DO have to pay resort fees at these properties.

Last edited by IHGSteve; Jun 22, 2015 at 8:51 am
Old Jun 22, 2015, 8:48 am

Originally Posted by MoneyWOMcom
Steve:
Here is what the service center said:

"Unfortunately, we do not have access to the hotel's billing information. Since most hotels are independently owned and/or operated, all billing information is handled by each property locally. Please contact the hotel directly for billing inquiries."

I suppose I can get them to call the service center while I am trying to check out in the future to clarify and get the fees removed at the local level. What should I do about getting fees removed on a stay from last week where I sat in the lobby and argued with them for an hour over the incorrect charges?
Which property?
Old Sep 2, 2016, 3:50 pm

Programs: IHG
Originally Posted by IHGSteve

Steve, is this still true? I've heard a mixture of things about the Crowne Plaza Z Ocean Hotel in Miami, and I spent 40 minutes on the phone with IHG reps that kept repeating that the hotel sets the policy and that a resort fee is not included in the point redemption or Chase anniversary night.

However, my price summary for the reservation on the IHG website lists the "Service Charge" as "FREE," which shows up as "$29" when trying to make a paid reservation.
Old Sep 2, 2016, 11:47 pm

Programs: IHG
Hi Steve,

Is what you stated above about reward nights not being subjected to the resort fee still true?
Old Sep 3, 2016, 2:32 am

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by parkjiny
Hi Steve,

Is what you stated above about reward nights not being subjected to the resort fee still true?
Only need to pay at the 2x Las Vegas resorts. Elsewhere should be no resort feeson free night stays.

The Vegas hotels after all are not actually IC's, hence the excemption regards resort fees

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.