Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Account hacked, points spent

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2017, 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by puchong
What is the best way to protect against such hacking? Changing passwords very frequently or some other technique?
I have dummy bookings several months out, so that my point balance is low.

Same with Hilton, Marriott etc.

If the hackers try to cancel any dummy booking (they likely won't) I will immediately get an email
Old Dec 4, 2017, 10:02 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by joe_miami
At minimum, one would think IHG would take a middle-ground approach and require people to change their password away from the current PIN as they log in. That would get IHG's most regular customers switched over in relatively short order, while leaving occasional users, who assuredly have much lower points balances, on average, on the old PIN.
IIRC, this is how Delta handled a switch a couple of years ago. Only recently did they finally stop any access by pin. (This is based on experience of only needing to enter 4 characters into the password box before the check in button became active.)
Old Dec 4, 2017, 11:08 pm

Programs: Amex Centurion
Originally Posted by chongcao
You still do not understand that the account with minimum balance is targeted too. Your information is available for sale in dark web.

So let us say, the alleged IHG employee had to firstly be an IT expert to steal information from its system; then the said employee had to be a web engineer to set up online shops to sell those points; and the said employee had to be a master con-artists to make sure his/her online trail to be clean after such transaction; not to mention ample free time for such extra activities.

The hack is real. There are several patterns I have outlined in previous posts:
1, There are two groups of people: the hackers who sell your information on dark web; and the fraudster who bought your information and then sell your points for profit;
2, Fraudster log in to your account to be able to spend your points;
3, The scale of problem is well beyond the capabilities of any hotel employee.

Look, with your membership number and account balance, a simple human being could not pull the trigger. Without sophisticated hacking skills, one can do best is to guess your PIN number. And IHG website does lock you out from action if you guessed wrong. If the IHG employee has the skills of a junior hacker, he/she would not work for IHG for minimum wages.

Get real.
You should get real.

I never said the IHG employee does the actual hacking (necessarily). Maybe yes maybe not. You seem to think that all 25,000+ of them are "simple human beings" without the intelligence, experience or time to have the ability to create and run a program to attempt 9999 possibilities for a password crack.

The IHG employees DO have the ability to identify:

- Accounts with lots of points (high value accounts)
- Account Numbers of those "high value accounts"

So, even going with what you said, all 25,000+ IHG employees are incapable of this type of hack, it would take them literally minutes to put high value account information on the dark web or maybe even easier to an associate or friend they might know who is "smarter" than them.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 12:23 am
Suspended

Programs: M&S, Radisson
Originally Posted by nomiiiii
If the hackers try to cancel any dummy booking (they likely won't) I will immediately get an email
No you won't. Please don't propagate wrong info and give others a false sense of security after implementing measures that won't work.

The attacker will clearly change the email before spending the points so the user doesn't get emails on account activity. He will most likely attempt to change it right back after cleaning the account (so the users continuous to receive other emails from IHG such as promotional emails).
Old Dec 5, 2017, 2:06 am
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Wait, on top of the lousy 4-digit PIN, if the email address associated with an IHG account is changed, no "your email address was updated (or changed)" message goes out to the old address?
Old Dec 5, 2017, 3:57 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by ChinaShrek
Maybe it is cheaper to refund points for stolen accounts than to fix website software?
Ah, so they're using the Ford Pinto model of business accounting.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 4:00 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by joe_miami
Wait, on top of the lousy 4-digit PIN, if the email address associated with an IHG account is changed, no "your email address was updated (or changed)" message goes out to the old address?
That's the beauty of it (see the post immediately above yours). At least IHG are consistent in their wholesale incompetence and negligence.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 9:57 am

Programs: Priority Club
Publicity ???

In the UK we have a consumer rights TV programme called Watchdog. If anyone with accounts hacked lives in the UK or a country that has a similar TV programme, maybe they would be interested. Cyber crime is big news, and it would have mileage as a story. The downside is the publicity - we'll all suddenly be vulnerable to account hacking once it goes on TV !!

Any thoughts ?

UKD
Old Dec 5, 2017, 11:29 am

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Not attempting to defend the indefensible, but IHG has been struggling to upgrade its reservation system for a couple of years now, appears 2018 will be yet another bumpy year http://hotelmarketing.com/index.php/...ollout_to_2019 http://hotelnewsnow.com/Articles/256...hanges-company
Old Dec 5, 2017, 11:51 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by UKDegsy
In the UK we have a consumer rights TV programme called Watchdog. If anyone with accounts hacked lives in the UK or a country that has a similar TV programme, maybe they would be interested. Cyber crime is big news, and it would have mileage as a story. The downside is the publicity - we'll all suddenly be vulnerable to account hacking once it goes on TV !!

Any thoughts ?

UKD
In the US, most local news shows have a segment similar to this. But, since IHG is resolving the issues (admittedly not the root cause though), I doubt there would be enough interest.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 10:22 am

Guess it was just a matter of time, but I had my account hacked for 60,000 points for a 2-night stay in Thailand. I found out before the reservation happened because they opted me out of text messages, which prompted an opt-out text. The rep was very nice and reversed the points immediately and had me change my email and pin. But now I'm concerned about the extra info the hacker has (membership #- it wasn't changed, name, address, birthday, phone, cell phone, old email address that I use for other things, credit card last four digits + expiration date). Any ideas for security measures I can take at this point?

Just out of curiosity -- is the person who bought from the hacker likely to show up at the hotel?
Old Dec 17, 2017, 11:40 am

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by readyforvacation
Just out of curiosity -- is the person who bought from the hacker likely to show up at the hotel?
Difficult to say who will show up and claim the room. The hotel where my stolen points were used: Mark Hopkins San Francisco, didn't bother to verify identification upon check in since the room was actually booked in my name. When IHG restored the points, the hotel generated a bill with my name and address on it for the stolen room.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by Tanic
Difficult to say who will show up and claim the room. The hotel where my stolen points were used: Mark Hopkins San Francisco, didn't bother to verify identification upon check in since the room was actually booked in my name. When IHG restored the points, the hotel generated a bill with my name and address on it for the stolen room.
Thanks for sharing - unbelievable. It seems like putting simple security measures in place - like requiring id at check-in - could prevent this whole mess.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 10:45 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by readyforvacation
Thanks for sharing - unbelievable. It seems like putting simple security measures in place - like requiring id at check-in - could prevent this whole mess.
I think maybe fake ID is used in this case, or people with the same name. Hackers and fraudsters are getting clever. They would try to match the name of the victim and the buyer.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 10:51 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by TravelStar
You should get real.

I never said the IHG employee does the actual hacking (necessarily). Maybe yes maybe not. You seem to think that all 25,000+ of them are "simple human beings" without the intelligence, experience or time to have the ability to create and run a program to attempt 9999 possibilities for a password crack.

The IHG employees DO have the ability to identify:

- Accounts with lots of points (high value accounts)
- Account Numbers of those "high value accounts"

So, even going with what you said, all 25,000+ IHG employees are incapable of this type of hack, it would take them literally minutes to put high value account information on the dark web or maybe even easier to an associate or friend they might know who is "smarter" than them.
Please. You still have no idea how corporate cyber security works. The hack is pandemic, there is no way one single employee or a cluster employee could pull it off. They can see limited information and by doing that they will leave a trace in system. It does not take a lot of detective works by IHG IT contractor to trace repeated membership enquiries from employee and figure out the connection. If that is the case, IHG is by law obligated to inform the public in both USA and UK regarding any possible inside theft of information as it is dual listed. The current IHG recommendation to change email and PIN frequently is an indication that is an outside job of hacking. You are entitled to your own opinion. But it is wrong to assume the worst of other innocent people and making baseless suggestions. And it is also a good gesture to try to listen to other's people's insight and reasons.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.