Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Account hacked, points spent

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2017, 4:51 pm
yse

80K points got stolen from my account as well. I did't get any email notification when the reservation was made nor the person checked in.

Talked with CSR and she told me the guy who steal my points typed in another email address when made the reservation, and then I will not get any email for this reservation.

Jeez IHG should really update the IT infrastructure
Old Sep 30, 2017, 8:33 pm

Programs: Cathay MPC, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Domestic Airline Nobody
Originally Posted by yse
80K points got stolen from my account as well.
Did you get your points back?
Old Oct 1, 2017, 4:33 pm

I got hacked - 80k too. Only reason I knew, I got an email from IHG thanking me for my stay at Staybridge suites in Times Square. I was not in New York, obviously. Call IHG and they deposited the miles back and I changed my pin.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 1:15 am
yse

Originally Posted by jkenn
I got hacked - 80k too. Only reason I knew, I got an email from IHG thanking me for my stay at Staybridge suites in Times Square. I was not in New York, obviously. Call IHG and they deposited the miles back and I changed my pin.
Mine was hacked and redemption was made towards the same hotel, after googling I found Alibaba's China travel website Taobao seems to be the thief. They are selling IHG reward night at 180 CNY per night(about $30) which obviously is not possible.

The seller seems getting a lot of businesses, so apparently IHG is having some data breach and victims shouldn't be just one or two.
Attached Images   
Old Oct 2, 2017, 1:17 am
yse

Originally Posted by Gongzuokuang
Did you get your points back?
Not yet. CSR was not helping and I might have to call again.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 12:42 pm
yse

Originally Posted by jkenn
Change the pin might not help as the thief was able to redeem points using Member# and name only

Member# and name are sold on Alibaba's Taobao travel website for CNY180($30) per night
Old Oct 5, 2017, 7:12 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
The stolen points were returned to my account, but now there's an invoice with my name and address on it from the hotel which I never stayed in. It appears to be an employee rate.

Hotel management does not return my calls, so I filed a police report.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 3:20 am

Programs: IHG Spire RA
Lightbulb

For those been hacked, have you guys stayed in IHG hotel in China before??

The only solution I can think of to secure our points; is by booking future reward nights till the time you actually need it. At least in this case you should get a cancellation notification when hacked!!
Old Oct 6, 2017, 10:25 am

Programs: Priority Club
Originally Posted by Voucher
For those been hacked, have you guys stayed in IHG hotel in China before??

The only solution I can think of to secure our points; is by booking future reward nights till the time you actually need it. At least in this case you should get a cancellation notification when hacked!!
That seems a very clever idea, although we shouldn't be put to all that trouble with better security from IHG

Just about to book 10 reward nights in an IC for 12 months time - must remember to cancel them
Old Oct 9, 2017, 11:36 am

Programs: Nexus/GE, UA/MPG, Bonvoy Tit, LTP
Just happened to me. 60K points taken for 6 individual night bookings in a Crowne Plaza in Japan ( Kumamoto New Sky) . I only found out when I went on line last night to see if I had been credited for a stay in the UK last week. Funnily enough the stays are still live, so presumably the guest is still there. Called IHG , who suspended my account and said I should hear within 3-5 business days. Never stayed in China and my last stay, before last week, was in Canada about a year ago.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 12:56 pm

My account has also been hacked!!!! No emails of reservation or anything. Never used a public computer. Can’t believe it’s still only a 4 digit password.

its been very slow with IHG doing their investigation, I’ve heard nothing in a couple of weeks now
Old Oct 11, 2017, 3:58 am

Programs: NZ
Originally Posted by UKDegsy
...Just about to book 10 reward nights in an IC for 12 months time - must remember to cancel them
Good way of protecting your points. Think I will do the same once I have completed Quarter 4 offers.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 12:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2Millon Mile Flyer, IC Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle, Bonvoy Gold
I just joined the "hacked' club. 500K points in my account and all but 20K were taken yesterday in 2 separate transactions. It appears the thief used the points to purchase some unknown product.

I called IHG customer service as soon as I got the email alerting me of the Profile Update on my account. The hacker changed the email on the account so I couldn't even get in and change the pin. I was just locked out of my account last month due to many unsuccessful log in attempts, so they've been at it before.

Aside from getting points returned, what are my fellow victims doing regarding their travel plans? I just made two reservations as a "non status" person. IHG says they may reissue a new IHG number. I can't even imagine what that will do with Royal Ambassador renewals coming up, and all the current reservations I have in que.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 3:13 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by PremExecSNA
Aside from getting points returned, what are my fellow victims doing regarding their travel plans? I just made two reservations as a "non status" person. IHG says they may reissue a new IHG number. I can't even imagine what that will do with Royal Ambassador renewals coming up, and all the current reservations I have in que.
You can keep your old number but you need to update your account with new email address and the new email address needs to have a password you have never used before. Preferably a new telephone number as well but not required.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 8:52 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by chongcao
You can keep your old number but you need to update your account with new email address and the new email address needs to have a password you have never used before. Preferably a new telephone number as well but not required.
Since I can sign in using an email address or a member number, how does a new email address help secure the account? I might use the email address, but the hacker can just use the old member number.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.