Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador
Reload this Page >

Did you want the welcome gift or 500 bonus points that we will never really post?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Did you want the welcome gift or 500 bonus points that we will never really post?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2016, 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by KMPete
I always get points at European ICs, except for the new one in London. Sometimes they try to get me to accept a drink voucher, which is useless to me since I don't drink alcohol, but if I say I'd rather have the points they will do that instead.
At which ICs do you get welcome points?
Old Jun 26, 2016, 1:38 am

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, BA Gold, Hyatt
Originally Posted by 336
At which ICs do you get welcome points?
I've gotten them at ICs in: Warsaw, Prague, Dusseldorf, Berlin, Malta and Vienna (I think), Austin TX (not EuropeanI realise), Paris, and Madrid - these are the ones that I could check. It does not appear that I received them at the ICs in Osaka, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, or Hong Kong though. I can remember getting drink vouchers in Osaka for sure, and one of the other Asian ICs but can't remember which one, but they wouldn't allow me to trade it in for points sadly.

I've been surprised to get them on reward stays in the US at Holiday Inn and Candlewood Suites recently too.

Personally, I don't know why they even give them out as it just seems to make everyone irritated then when they don't get them. One more benefit to their rewards program that isn't done at all properties, so it makes for bad feelings when you don't receive them.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 9:06 am

Programs: UA 3.6MM, AF/KL Lifetime Plat, BA Gold, AA 1MM, IC Spire RA, Kimpton IC, Marriott Plat, et alia
Becoming ever more bizzarre

Until recently, they would either hand you a voucher for your 300-500-600 points depending on the brand, and you would deposit it at the IHG rewards deposit site, or they would do it themselves. So quite often I'd get the points even before checking out.

Now, the process is changed. From an HX in Germany:

There has been a small change in the system for the welcome amenity. A few month it was the reception desk who gave the welcome amenity directly on your IHG account. But now we just chose the welcome amenity and then after a few days the will have to appear on your IHG account.

I see now in our system that the welcome amenity has initiated, so it should appear in a few days on your account.

If it will not appear in about one week, please feel free to contact us again, so that we can check. Usually after Check-out it takes about one week to appear.
But although the points for my stay itself posted, the welcome points have not yet.

Even more frustrating than before, where I had to follow up about 1/3 of the time with various hotels.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 11:16 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, IHG Plat., former LH HON (now Silver), Bonvoy Titanium
So far always chose the points over the snacks and always received them much before the actual hotel points appeared on my account.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
They can appear anywhere from the time I get to my room, to a couple of days after checkout (some places batch them later). Of all the stays I've had since the scheme started, I've only had to chase them down at one joint when it first started, and one place more recently when the points failed to post after two followup calls; I stayed at the latter joint after that, mentioning my frustration at check out, with the missing points coming through that day, and the ones for the stay a day or so later. I have only stayed outside the States once since this started (Indigo Madrid award stay), and they posted quickly, after being specifically told at check-in I was entitled to them.
Old Jul 1, 2016, 8:18 am

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
This is funny... 3 stays this year... first two posted with no welcome bonus, 3rd posted a welcome bonus and no points. Life is funny, some days...

Welcome Bonus Points| 500 pts.
Old Jul 3, 2016, 11:09 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, DL SkClub LT, Marr LT Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diam
It's been getting better but it's frustrating having to keep track of these.

An email via IHG website always results in the problem getting resolved but it shouldn't require follow-up.
Old Jul 3, 2016, 1:04 pm

Programs: A handful of shiny cards
At the Intercontinental Warsaw I was just given the voucher but it was only for 200 points.
Old Jul 15, 2016, 11:57 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: UA Silver - IHG Spire AMB - Hilton Gold - Choice Hotels Platinum - Hertz Gold FiveStar
Agreed some hotels are better than others at the "Welcome Points". Some hotels put them in almost instantly as you check in, while others post days after check out. Ive also had to follow up on a few stays and have always had success doing so via email or phone, sometime even extra points awarded for the delay.
Old Jul 15, 2016, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

HI DUS posted the welcome points but not the stay, causing me to miss a stay needed for a bonus.

A call to the Philippines got that taken care of, and for no other reason she also said I was missing pts on an IC stay and suddenly my account had a few Ks extra.
Old Jul 15, 2016, 9:57 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Checked into the Holiday Inn Chicago-Matteson (South Suburbs) this week and the agent just said "did you want the 500 points?". Maybe if I'd pressed I'd have learned what the other option was.
Old Jul 16, 2016, 12:55 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
HIX Dundee gave me the points before I had even arrived at the hotel (so there was still a possibility of no-show)

UK HIXs seem to have improved since last year, so far this year have been offered the points at every stay and they usually arrive within 2 days. Last year there was a lot of talk "we don't do paper vouchers anymore" but the points rarely posted. It was better in 2014 when you had control over the process

Germany is a bit hit and miss, wasn't offered anything at HIX Singen and only drinks were available at HI Schoenefeld.
Old Jul 16, 2016, 1:07 am

Programs: Priority Club
I always go for the drink and snack. Can't recall the last time I didnt get the points as well.
Old Jul 16, 2016, 10:54 am

Programs: Delta 1MM/SM, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Choice Hotels Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
After complaining about points not posting about half the time, I have to acknowledge the last 3 hotels I've stayed in:
Holiday Inn Express Naples, FL Downtown
Crowne Plaza Memphis Downtown
HI Express Chattanooga Downtown.

All posted day of check-in. The HIE Naples was 4 days paid and 1 on a free IHG Mastercard night. Received points for both.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 8:45 am

Programs: Southwest RR, SPG... still getting my feet wet in this game!
I'm a very infrequent traveler (last hotel stay was July 2015) so I didn't know a welcome amenity existed. I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express in Encinitas, CA a few nights ago and got an email yesterday stating that I received 500 points. (I wasn't asked if I wanted points or a snack/drink) Logged into my IHG acct and saw that I got 500 points...twice. I had made two separate reservations because I booked one with my Chase free night and the other on points. So...are these points based per stay or per night that you're at the hotel?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.