HI Express Hotels - Amsterdam - Which one

Old Apr 18, 2015, 2:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Don't think it matters...
HI Express Hotels - Amsterdam - Which one

Hello,

Looking to redeem so IHG points for a 2/3 night stay in Amsterdam.. don't have much so have to choose among HI Express options

Getting HI Express Amsterdam South & HI Express Amsterdam Arena Towers as options..

Am traveling with spouse and 3 yr kid for leisure and going in and around Amsterdam. Both hotels seem to have decent reviews in TA.

Any reason you would suggest one over the other..

Appreciate advise..
Cheers
A
Old Apr 18, 2015, 3:21 pm

Stayed in Sloterdijk, Arena and Schiphol. So cannot comment on South.

I can recommend Sloterdijk, even if 5000 points more and not asked for It is next to the Sloterdijk Station. As Sloterdijk is a major station in Amsterdam it is very convenient as it connects you to the airport (10 minutes), keukenhof (from airport by bus) and the city center (less 10 minutes) and many more cities in the netherlands frequently.

For Arena, i found the walk is quite long to the station. It is a long ride to central amsterdam and other major stations. I would only stay there if you need to be in the area.

Schiphol was ok. The shuttle thing is annoying. But you can rent bikes and have a nice tour to the very nice
Beach and dunes or Keukenhof
If you are fit you can combine the two

Crowne Plaza City Center has a great location for touring the city center by foot and tram.

You could use points and cash if you do not have enough points.

Enjoy your time in Amsterdam!
Old Apr 19, 2015, 12:10 am

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by abhilife2001
Hello,

Looking to redeem so IHG points for a 2/3 night stay in Amsterdam.. don't have much so have to choose among HI Express options

Getting HI Express Amsterdam South & HI Express Amsterdam Arena Towers as options..

Am traveling with spouse and 3 yr kid for leisure and going in and around Amsterdam. Both hotels seem to have decent reviews in TA.

Any reason you would suggest one over the other..

Appreciate advise..
Cheers
A
I think you need to choose South purely for traveling convenience

At south the Metro 51 / tram 5. Stop is 150 metres from hotel door and tram 5 goes to Central Station via tourist locations Museumplein for three art museums, Leidseplein , Dam Square , floating flower market so is the one I recommend for you.

At Arena the hotel is a 1500 metre walk and the metro station (bijlmer). is just metro or train to Amstedam Central Station and then metro is not going near tourist locations so you go central station then start getting a tram etc.

Last edited by scubaccr; Apr 19, 2015 at 12:20 am
Old Apr 19, 2015, 5:20 am

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, Accor Gold, HH Diamond, Krispy Kreme Brown with chocolate sprinkles
I can't comment on the HIE options but to make the trip really special, you could stay at the IC Amstel for only 40k/night or 30k if you use points&cash. I was there last week and its a very nice hotel. Its also right next to a metro station so good for getting around.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 2:33 am

Programs: IHG Pl. Amb / Accor Gold / Hilton Gold /FB Gold / M&M SEN
IC Amstel @ 40K is excellent value - pretty sure this will increase by 1st of May, so best to book early
I've stayed myself in CP City Center (good hotel, location great) and HI Arena (shares location with HIX). Arena is about 10 minutes walk to the station, travel time into central amsterdam 20-25 minutes. While not a horrible location, if it's your first time in Amsterdam it might be a better idea to stay a bit more central.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 6:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by diederik
IC Amstel @ 40K is excellent value - pretty sure this will increase by 1st of May, so best to book early
I've stayed myself in CP City Center (good hotel, location great) and HI Arena (shares location with HIX). Arena is about 10 minutes walk to the station, travel time into central amsterdam 20-25 minutes. While not a horrible location, if it's your first time in Amsterdam it might be a better idea to stay a bit more central.
Originally Posted by davrossuk
I can't comment on the HIE options but to make the trip really special, you could stay at the IC Amstel for only 40k/night or 30k if you use points&cash. I was there last week and its a very nice hotel. Its also right next to a metro station so good for getting around.
Unfortunately i want to redeem 2 nights and would prefer and HIX property..
Appreciate your views though..
Old Apr 20, 2015, 6:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by scubaccr
I think you need to choose South purely for traveling convenience

At south the Metro 51 / tram 5. Stop is 150 metres from hotel door and tram 5 goes to Central Station via tourist locations Museumplein for three art museums, Leidseplein , Dam Square , floating flower market so is the one I recommend for you.

At Arena the hotel is a 1500 metre walk and the metro station (bijlmer). is just metro or train to Amstedam Central Station and then metro is not going near tourist locations so you go central station then start getting a tram etc.
Originally Posted by nrgetik
Stayed in Sloterdijk, Arena and Schiphol. So cannot comment on South.

I can recommend Sloterdijk, even if 5000 points more and not asked for It is next to the Sloterdijk Station. As Sloterdijk is a major station in Amsterdam it is very convenient as it connects you to the airport (10 minutes), keukenhof (from airport by bus) and the city center (less 10 minutes) and many more cities in the netherlands frequently.

For Arena, i found the walk is quite long to the station. It is a long ride to central amsterdam and other major stations. I would only stay there if you need to be in the area.

Schiphol was ok. The shuttle thing is annoying. But you can rent bikes and have a nice tour to the very nice
Beach and dunes or Keukenhof
If you are fit you can combine the two

Crowne Plaza City Center has a great location for touring the city center by foot and tram.

You could use points and cash if you do not have enough points.

Enjoy your time in Amsterdam!
Seems I will select HIX South / Schipol..
Sloterdjik is not available for the dates I am planning ..
Old Apr 20, 2015, 6:51 am

Would prefer South or Arena over Schiphol. The Schiphol one is actually in Hoofddorp, so requires a train from there into AMS. I'd pick either the South or Arena one.
The walk from Arena to the Arena train/metro stop isn't that far:
link.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 9:11 am

Programs: FB,BD,LH,EK,PC,HH,MR
HIEX Amsterdam South is a good option. Very good public transport (tram/metro) to city center. There are shops nearby on this area.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 1:53 am

Programs: MH Gold, IHG RA, SPG Gold, QF Silver, Hertz 5 star
After reading this thread, I have just changed from HI Arena to CP South for a stay next week. I would have preferred IC or CP Amsterdam but they are not available. Thanks for the info everyone.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 4:32 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Jages
After reading this thread, I have just changed from HI Arena to CP South for a stay next week. I would have preferred IC or CP Amsterdam but they are not available. Thanks for the info everyone.
Next week Monday is Kings Day (national holiday), the tram5 will be rerouted as the two main roads and thus all tram routes into centre are closed and become pedestrian only roads ... could be good choice Monday to be at Zuid Station as you can get Metro to Amsterdam CS
(Else you have to walk from tram stops getting off at Museumplein)

CP South is by the Amsterdam Zuid train station, but not like HIE South almost next to the metro51/tram5 stop

That said you can walk to either Station Zuid for metro51 to Amsterdam Central Station or walk an extra 400m through the station to catch the tram5
Old Apr 23, 2015, 1:25 am

Originally Posted by scubaccr
Next week Monday is Kings Day (national holiday), the tram5 will be rerouted as the two main roads and thus all tram routes into centre are closed and become pedestrian only roads ... could be good choice Monday to be at Zuid Station as you can get Metro to Amsterdam CS
(Else you have to walk from tram stops getting off at Museumplein)

CP South is by the Amsterdam Zuid train station, but not like HIE South almost next to the metro51/tram5 stop

That said you can walk to either Station Zuid for metro51 to Amsterdam Central Station or walk an extra 400m through the station to catch the tram5
Thanks for the update. I will be in Den Haag for King's Day and looking forward to enjoying Dutch hospitality
Old Apr 23, 2015, 2:43 am

Getting a bit off topic now, but don't forget that the night before Kings Day (Kings Night) has a big free music festival in The Hague - should be worth a visit. Enjoy
Old May 8, 2015, 3:34 am

Originally Posted by diederik
Getting a bit off topic now, but don't forget that the night before Kings Day (Kings Night) has a big free music festival in The Hague - should be worth a visit. Enjoy
Just thought I would follow up on your off-topic topic. Was a great night followed by a fantastic day in Amsterdam. Amazing to see the entire city a massive party. Awesome

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.