Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ambassador Programme Information

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2016, 2:01 am

Originally Posted by Lotfi070
Can anyone confirm me that if we are Spire member and we renew our Ambassador membership we automatically keep Spire status until the following year without having to spend 75 nights/75k ?
Yes, but Im not sure if it is a general rule. More then 10y ago when the merger 6cc/Ambassador and PC happened, I remember a CR clerk promising me to keep the elite status in PC as long as I retain Ambassador. This worked out not long ago, when I wasn't active with IHG for two years in a row and kept Platinum.

Im curious if this rule is now working for everybody (including non former 6cc).
Old Dec 12, 2016, 12:08 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: UA Silver - IHG Spire AMB - Hilton Gold - Choice Hotels Platinum - Hertz Gold FiveStar
Originally Posted by gobears293
If I have plenty of points and the IHG Mastercard... is there any reason to pay for Ambassador? Seems like redeeming points is the better option.

At least two IC stays next year. (Hanoi and Park Lane London). Would love to use the BOGO certificate (and the Mastercard free night) at Park Lane.
I don't see any reason for the cash option. I would bet it's mainly there for those who don't stay often enough to rack up enough points through stays and/or IHG promotions but still want the perks of the exclusive IC club.

I just rolled the the last Accelerate promo point into an AMB membership myself, got my 3,200 back for the IHG CC and life is good. ^ Plus the renewals are less points, so even easier to maintain.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 1:24 pm

Upon checking the terms I found this :
" Upon purchase of InterContinental Ambassador status, IHG® Rewards Club members who are Club or Gold Elite members will receive Gold Ambassador status upon enrolment. All InterContinental Ambassador members can earn Platinum Ambassador or Spire Ambassador or be invited to Royal Ambassador status. "

So maybe if we are already spire then just renew it? ...
What happens if somene is a Spire member now but has had very few stays in 2016? If that person buys Ambassador (by paying cash or points) now, will his Spire status be renewed for 2017?
Old Dec 13, 2016, 2:06 pm

Programs: Gold Star Alliance,IHG Spire Ambassador, Starwood, Hilton Honor Diamond, Silver Accor, Diamond Hyatt
From the IHG rewards club they told me it is a one time only ...
Anyway I achieved Spire again this year so I'm waiting to see if I will have it util 2018 or if it will be 2017 as I got during my ambassador renewal.
Old Dec 14, 2016, 8:58 am

If I cancel (within the cancellation rights) an AMB Weekend Stay, am I able to use the certificate on a different booking?

I have a Friday to Sunday booking this weekend, cancellable until arrival, but since I booked the prices have dropped significantly and I'm tempted to cancel and rebook but of course only if the voucher can be honoured for the rebooked stay.

I couldn't find an explicit answer anywhere.
Old Dec 14, 2016, 9:02 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, TK Gold
Originally Posted by SwissBritMiss
If I cancel (within the cancellation rights) an AMB Weekend Stay, am I able to use the certificate on a different booking?

I have a Friday to Sunday booking this weekend, cancellable until arrival, but since I booked the prices have dropped significantly and I'm tempted to cancel and rebook but of course only if the voucher can be honoured for the rebooked stay.

I couldn't find an explicit answer anywhere.
As no where in the booking process you are filling in any information about the voucher (and you can even book that rate if you are not Ambassador), and what is needed is the physical BOGO voucher at the hotel - you can cancel and rebook as many times as you want - as long you have the physical voucher to present at the hotel.
Old Dec 14, 2016, 8:39 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Avis Prefered Plus, Hertz Gold Plus Rewards® Five Star®, & Rapid Rewards
Originally Posted by Tony300S
I don't see any reason for the cash option. I would bet it's mainly there for those who don't stay often enough to rack up enough points through stays and/or IHG promotions but still want the perks of the exclusive IC club.

I just rolled the the last Accelerate promo point into an AMB membership myself, got my 3,200 back for the IHG CC and life is good. ^ Plus the renewals are less points, so even easier to maintain.
The Cash option is a great way to buy points for cheap. With the 10% back you will get 15k points plus 10% back on all reward stays. That's another 20k points if you book 200k in reward rooms for the year. At that rate, 5k points run very cheep. And then if you stay on the 20k points you get back 2k points... With that, you are getting 37k points for $200 usd plus Ambassador. That is a better price than buying points when they go on sale with a 100% bonus points. Plus Ambassador, The BOGO, and the locked in Status (that they do not advertise, but an IHG agent confirmed to me exists.)

Last edited by ChimarraoMate; Dec 14, 2016 at 8:45 pm
Old Dec 25, 2016, 6:52 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Newbie question re Elite status upgrades

Having read through the Wiki and thread I'm still a little unsure of the situation regarding being upgraded to a higher tier upon purchasing Ambassador.

The wiki states that when you join the scheme you become Gold, so my questions are:

(1) If you are already Gold do you get upgraded to Platinum (and from Platinum to Spire, etc.)?
(2) if (1) is true (eg Gold -> Platinum) what happens to your status in the next year (assuming Ambassador is maintained)?

For example, if I would have ordinarily dropped down from Gold to Club (not counting the Ambassador) due to too few stays would my status remain Gold, and if I had done enough to remain Gold (10 stays) would the status with Ambassador be/remain Platinum?

I ask because I'm new to the scheme and while Gold doesn't seem to offer much it is at least relatively easy to hit, and the combo of Platinum Ambassador may be more worthwhile.

Last edited by yurtripper; Dec 25, 2016 at 9:42 am Reason: Fixed incorrect numbering and wording
Old Dec 25, 2016, 7:30 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, ALL Silver,, Miles&More
Originally Posted by yurtripper
Having read through the Wiki and thread I'm still a little unsure of the situation regarding being upgraded to a higher tier upon purchasing Ambassador.

The wiki states that when you join the scheme you become Gold, so my questions are:

(1) If you are already Gold do you get upgraded to Platinum (and from Platinum to Spire, etc.)?
(2) if (1) is true (eg Gold -> Platinum) what happens to your status in the next year (assuming Ambassador is maintained)?

For example, if I would have ordinarily dropped down from Gold to Preferred (not counting the Ambassador) due to too few stays would my status remain Gold, and if I had done enough to remain Gold (10 stays) would the status with Ambassador be/remain Platinum?

I ask because I'm new to the scheme and while SPG Gold doesn't seem to offer much it is at least relatively easy to hit, and the combo of Platinum Ambassador may be more worthwhile.
With purchase of Ambassador membership you get IHG Rewards Club Gold Elite (if you register new or have not reached Elite status yet - upgrade from Club to Gold Elite). There is no automatic upgrade to Platinum if you are Gold already, you have to earn your status above Gold Elite.

If your Ambassodor status has expired and you have not reached what is needed to remain Gold Elite you drop to Club (not to "Preferred", this the basic SPG status). But it is very quick and easy to get Gold status with bonus points rates.

Ambassador might be interesting for you if you visit sometimes IC properties (benefits see wiki). IHG Gold is applicable for Holiday Inns etc. but I am used only to be top tier in the past years (Platinum and then Spire) so I can´t say anything about it. I estimate SPG Gold to be worth more, itself alone for SPG properties, and for sure much more through linking SPG account with Marriott to Rewards Gold.

I would recommend if you have a good footprint available with IHG hotels and sometimes stay at ICs you buy Amb membership and go for Platinum Elite at least.

Last edited by submonte; Dec 25, 2016 at 7:35 am
Old Dec 25, 2016, 9:37 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, IC Plat Amb, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by yurtripper

For example, if I would have ordinarily dropped down from Gold to Preferred (not counting the Ambassador) due to too few stays would my status remain Gold, and if I had done enough to remain Gold (10 stays) would the status with Ambassador be/remain Platinum?

I ask because I'm new to the scheme and while SPG Gold doesn't seem to offer much it is at least relatively easy to hit, and the combo of Platinum Ambassador may be more worthwhile.
You can get IHG platinum with the chase IHG credit card. The card is awesome because for $49 you get a free night in any IHG hotel in the world. I have the IHG card and Ambassador and I really like it. I dont stay in the US as much but in Europe and Latin America not only IC would give me upgrades but Holiday inns and Indigos too. It is really nice.
Old Dec 25, 2016, 9:49 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Thank you, submonte. It seems I got a bit confused with the wording in my original post (confusing IHG with SPG terms). I've now fixed this in the edit.

lotrbfme, unfortunately I can't get the Chase IHG CC as I don't reside in the US (home base = WAW so no worthwhile credit cards for anything, alas).
Old Jan 1, 2017, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by ChimarraoMate
The Cash option is a great way to buy points for cheap. With the 10% back you will get 15k points plus 10% back on all reward stays. That's another 20k points if you book 200k in reward rooms for the year. At that rate, 5k points run very cheep. And then if you stay on the 20k points you get back 2k points... With that, you are getting 37k points for $200 usd plus Ambassador. That is a better price than buying points when they go on sale with a 100% bonus points. Plus Ambassador, The BOGO, and the locked in Status (that they do not advertise, but an IHG agent confirmed to me exists.)
Thank you for the post. Did you mean one would receive 5000 instead of 15000? Not sure where you are getting the 15000 points from? Happy New Year everyone.
Old Jan 1, 2017, 12:43 pm

From the IHG rewards club they told me it is a one time only ...
Anyway I achieved Spire again this year so I'm waiting to see if I will have it util 2018 or if it will be 2017 as I got during my ambassador renewal.
If you achieved Spire Status by December 31st 2016 it will expire Dec 31 2017. May I ask why it would expire in 2018?
Old Jan 1, 2017, 1:38 pm

Programs: Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, AA Platinum Pro
Quick question about Ambassador: I realize that officially, Ambassador benefits are only guaranteed at ICs.

But in practice, do CPs and HIs tend to also respect this status and make an effort to provide additional benefits to guests? (I.e. would a Platinum Ambassador have a greater chance of receiving more upgrades and benefits than a regular Platinum?)

Does the hotel see or know that you're an Ambassador?
Old Jan 1, 2017, 4:02 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum (3 Million Miler), IHG Spire Royal Amdassador
Originally Posted by moe8555
Quick question about Ambassador: I realize that officially, Ambassador benefits are only guaranteed at ICs.

But in practice, do CPs and HIs tend to also respect this status and make an effort to provide additional benefits to guests? (I.e. would a Platinum Ambassador have a greater chance of receiving more upgrades and benefits than a regular Platinum?)

Does the hotel see or know that you're an Ambassador?
Some CPs have commented on my RA Spire status, but I have never received additional benefits at non I Cs. I don't recall any His, HIX commenting on RA

​​​​​

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.