Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador
Reload this Page >

Please post your Royal Ambassador experiences (Archive Thread 2013)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Please post your Royal Ambassador experiences (Archive Thread 2013)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2013, 12:38 am

Programs: RA
Makkah IC Saudia Arabia

- Which room did you book and which upgrade did you receive?
I booked view haram room
and uprade to delux suite haram view.

- How are the rooms?
Tasteful. very great. Good view on haram view.

- How is the exec. lounge?
you have to pay !.

What was your welcome gift?
Box of dates or chocolates (a bigger one for RAs)
Cashews and pistachios (a bigger plate for RAs)
Water, 4 bottles per day (3 every 2 days for Amb)

- What was good and what was bad?
up gread . nice smile in all the hotel
huge break fast i never saw any hotel same
Parking is expensive.

- Value for $ or Priority Club Points? Would you return?

sure . and i every year stay in this hotel

this is some pic

This is was the welcome gift

Old Jan 26, 2013, 2:38 am

IC Asiana Saigon

IC Asiana Saigon

What is your Priority Club status?
Platinum Royal Ambassador

Were you (or for multi-stayers are you generally) happy with the hotel/stay?
Very much. This is one of the nicest hotels in the system with great RA recognition

Which room did you book and which upgrade did you receive?
Had two stays recently, booked cheapest and received Deluxe Suite with Club on one stay and some bigger Suite (size of 3 normal rooms) at second stau, also with club

How are the rooms?
Very nice, modern, clean

How is the exec. lounge?
One of the best. They even had a chef preparing sushi one night.

A bottle of red, box with 6 pralines, also they have different kinds of welcome gifts (typically Vietnamese lacquer items like bowls, casters etc), which are actually nice enough to take

Did you receive fruit in the room?
Nice selection, also some kind of food (canapees or cheese etc) every evening

What was good and what was bad?
Good
Location, service, rooms, club

Bad
The big suite has the work area in the bedroom, the smaller in the living room (which I prefer) - but that is minor

Value for $ or Priority Club Points? Would you return?
Great value, absolutely
Old Jan 26, 2013, 2:48 am

IC Sydney

IC Sydney

Were you happy with the hotel/stay?
Yes, but....

Booked cheapest and received same with Club

How are the rooms?
The rooms are very small for a 5 star. This time my room had a renovated bathroom which only had a shower and was so small that only one person could be in the room at one time. This is not acceptable for a 5 star hotel. They also did not warn that there is no bathtub at check in.
The average Novotel in Asia has bigger rooms and better bathrooms.

How is the exec. lounge?
If not for the lounge I would not come back there. View, Service - even after they were cutting back somewhat on the food especially in the evening.

A bottle of red wine

6 small fruits, this time they proviced even a fork and a knife.

What was good?
- Club Lounge
What was bad?
- Room
- Bathroom

Value for $ or Priority Club Points?
With club upgrade it was ok. Without RA status i would not stay in the hotel - especially considering their outrageous internet charges (free with club) and phone charges (8 AU$ for a 5 min call to a suburb less than 20 km away)

Would you return?
I will contact the hotel and ask if they have rooms with modern, reasonable size bathrooms first and then decide.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 3:03 am

IC Bangkok

Intercontinental Bangkok

What is your Ambassador Status?
RA

Two more stays after my stay in early an (see #1106)

Better than last time, but still not completely happy.
Not sure what is going on with that hotel, it seems they have too many new people whicht did not receive proper training.

Booked cheapest and received same with club on first stay, suite with club on second - not the usual 'corner' suite at the end of the floor but a suite the size of two regular rooms

How are the rooms?
Regular room has good size, modern, clean, good size bathroom.
Suite was nice, separate living room and bedroom, nicely decorated

How is the exec. lounge?
Nice setting on the top floor. Service on the second stay this year was better, but they were severely understaffed. She was trying her best but there were just too many guests for one person.
Third stay this year service was good.

What was good?
What was bad?
- Inconsistency. Out of the three stays this year:
- Welcome gift (teddy bear) only after asking for it at the first stay, no welcome gift (other than a bottle of red) the next two stays
- No welcome letter at any of the three stays
- Drink vouchers for the lobby bar only at second visit, not on the other two
- Spa voucher only at second visit
- On the last visit they did not even have the paper holders for the keycards
- lots of situation where employees did not know what to do or where unsure, example was one of the check in agents who greeted me thankingf or beeing an RA, but then had no clue how to check an RA in and had to call a few times for support....

Looks like the hotel is at the upper end of the price range for similar hotels in Bangkok. As an RA I will most likely stay there again next time, but if they don't improve their service(training) and consistency I will most likely try something different in the future.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by nicolas75
Were you (or for multi-stayers are you generally) happy with the hotel/stay
Yes, very much as always

Booked cheapast advance rate, and received a junior suite on club floor with club access. At check-in, I had a very nice: "Welcome back Mr. Nicolas75, you have been upgraded as always to a suite with club access!"

How are the rooms?
Around 45sqm
Elegantly decorated.
Seating area and desk. Flat screen television.
Large closet with minibar, kettle and safebox.
Bedroom with comfortable bed. Flat screen television with large selection of international channels.
Bathroom with bathtub, seperate toilets and walk-in shower. Large bottles of Agraria products.
No wifi on 11th floor. But you can ask for a device to be plugged into the wired internet to get wifi in your room.
Very quiet. Very efficient heating system.
View over the Stadtpark, Cathedral.
Bottle of wine and chocolates offered

How is the exec. lounge?
Quite large. Nice view over Vienna.
Very good breakfast, nice evening spread, drinks
2 PCs with printer
Lovely staff

Good
Very friendly and professional staff, smiling and attentive service.
Great location, close to the best contemporary art galleries (Mario Mauronner and others), exclusive shops, design museum and Steirereck, certainly one of Vienna best restaurants.
Very pleasant club lounge
My flight back home was cancelled because of snow. I was offered the same room at same best advance rate without even asking for it.^^

Bad
Simply nothing

Definitely, for location, service and upgrade
Vienna is, with Berlin and Amstel, one of my favourite ICs in Europe.

video of the junior suite
Congrats, I know for most this place is choice of club or suite, so must be because of your past stays here.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 7:37 am

Programs: HH Gold, GHA Titanium, Iprefer Elite, EI Concierge
InterContinental Düsseldorf

InterContinental Düsseldorf

Yes as usual

I booked a club room on BOGO rate which was the cheapest available option and ended up in a nice executive suite which for change was not the one with French doors but a large open plan living space with a TV Case separating bed and living room.

How are the rooms?
Excellent room, very big with loads of space. Big Bed with ample space to walk around it.
Massive walk in wardrobe on the way to the bath which however is rather small but still offering shower and bath tube separated.
There is massive space in the wardrobe with an additional one available near the entry door.
On oversized work desk is also provided.

How is the exec. lounge?
Good as usual, Anthony on duty and being his usual great host. Saturday was empty but Sunday there was an invasion from the east filling every available space. While the food offering might be limited it gives loads of different items including fresh eggs for breakfast.

This chocolate ball they give since month which is too rich for my taste.

Yes

Good
• Nice upgrade
• Club Lounge
• Staff as usual
• Offered very late checkout (1900 due to cancelled flights on a bogo)
• Individual treatment with title/name throughout

Bad
• I really wish they had bigger TV's

Absolutely.

Would you return?
Yes for sure, great location, staff that treats an individual as individual with even remembering that I like the white chocolate mocha.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 7:44 am

Programs: HH Gold, GHA Titanium, Iprefer Elite, EI Concierge
InterContinental Frankfurt

InterContinental Frankfurt

Yes as usual

I booked a standard room and received a panorama suite (non renovated) with club access

How are the rooms?
While the rooms are having a charm from the last century they are big, the bed is comfortable and the separate living room with big desk and seating area is great. There are 2 bathrooms and I'm sure these rooms are reviewed several times.

How is the exec. lounge?
Good as usual, this is really the key service for the IC Frankfurt. Great food and offerings through the day with staff taking their time to talk to the guest individually treating them as guest rather than number.

A regional speciality food item I ignored.

Yes, was also refreshed twice.

Good
• Club Lounge
• Staff as usual
• Individual treatment with title/name throughout
• Mentioned room was to warm, engineer showed up within 5 minutes to fix.

Bad
• I really wish they had modern TV's
• Check-in was a Zoo but Manager spotted me and asked me to check in at the club

Absolutely, where else can one get a suite with club access for so little € a night in Frankfurt?

Would you return?
Yes for sure on my next trip I will be there again.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 2:00 am

Programs: LH HON, Discovery Black, IHG Spire, random stuff at Accor, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Hertz, Sixt
IC Bahrain (Manama City)

RA

absolutely pleased

Not willing to spend a lot of money for a stopover hotel I booked the lowest category on points (30K at the time of booking).
Upgraded to Deluxe Suite (highest category that is available online) incl. access to the Club Lounge.

How are the rooms?
Rooms on higher floors are soft-refurbished only, i.e. new carpet, new bed etc. but still the old style (light wood instead of dark). However, the suite was in a very good condition. It basically consists of two standard rooms, one serving as living room with a full bathroom attached and the other one as bedroom, again with a full bathroom.

How is the exec. lounge?
Full breakfast with egg-station, sandwiches and cakes in the afternoon and a 'dinner-replacing' food selection in the evening incl. some hot options. Staff is friendly and very attentive.

a package with chocolate covered dates

Selection of ten items

^
- exceptional service in all areas
- luxurious atmosphere (feeling that this is one of the best hotels in Bahrain)
- good Club Lounge
- generous upgrade on reward stay, incl. complementary minibar

- actually there is nothing to say...

Overwhelming. Rates for standard rooms were >EUR250 at the time of booking.

Would you return?
Even though the hotel was great I hope I do not have to return to this country. Did not like it at all for several reasons.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 3:47 am

IC Boston

Extremely.

Booked 1 King Bed Deluxe Cityside. Received an upgrade to the North Penthouse suite. I called the front desk the day of arrival, and inquired about an upgrade to the Ambassador suite (They originally had me in a superior suite). The lady told me the Amb suite was not available, but offered a penthouse instead. I gladly accepted.

How are the rooms?
The room is fantastic. It's on the 12th (highest) floor of the hotel. Double door entryway with guest bathroom, 8 seat dining table, living room with TV and minibar, pantry with full size fridge that is stocked as a minibar, a library/study (not really a separate room, but a part of the living room), a large bedroom, and a huge master bathroom with two sinks, toilet, bidet, large tub, and rainfall shower. This is the best room in the hotel (or so I was told), even though there is a listing of the Presidential suite on the sign on the door where the rate of the suites are listed.

How is the exec. lounge?
Unimpressive. Decent breakfast selection, decent desserts, but not much else worth mentioning. Staff was often nowhere to be seen. However, I was told at check-in that club lounge access is now given complimentary to all Royal Ambassadors. That is the current policy, at least, and may change. This was nice to hear, as there are varied reports in this thread about club access for RAs at this hotel.

Fruit and water.

Good:
-Amazing upgrade. I mentioned to the front desk when I was calling that I was on a weekend getaway kind of thing with my SO. Maybe that was a factor. The lady friend was certainly impressed.
-Front desk staff immediately recognized my status, and I had no trouble getting all benefits honored. By the end of my 2 night stay, they recognized me by name and room number.

Bad:
-For some reason, the sinks in the master bathroom take a long time for the hot water to kick in. It doesn't happen with the tub, shower, or any other sink in the suite, so I'm a bit puzzled here.
-On the second night of my stay, I discovered the smell of marijuana in the bathroom. i immediately called down, and a security officer came up to my room to check it out. He verified that the smell was there, and said he would inform the front desk. After some investigation, it seemed that the most likely cause was someone below me sneaking a smoke in the shower, as the smell seemed to come from the drain. After the security officer left, I realized that I was offered no solution, and was probably not going to be. So I called again, and asked to be transferred to the front desk this time. This is when I was told that the suite I was in was the best in the hotel. And I didn't really want to move, so the agent sent up housekeeping to deodorize. It worked well enough. By this time, the smell was much lighter than it was when I first discovered it. I realize that there's not much the hotel can do about someone having smoked, but their response seemed a little lackluster.

Really, overall the stay was great. Just pointed out the only two things that actually bothered me during the stay.

The lowest rate available was a bit pricey, at a little over $200 a night. Still, considering the upgrade, it's still a great value.

Last edited by Apieinthesky; Jan 28, 2013 at 4:07 am
Old Jan 28, 2013, 12:38 pm
Zol
Moderator: Emirates Skywards and Qatar Airways Privilege Club

Programs: EK Gold|EY Gold|Bonvoy Ambassador| IHG Plat|HHonors Diamond
IC Cairo Citystars

Yes

Booked a standard basic room and received an upgrade to an Executive Suite. I asked to be downgraded to a Club Room as they are the newly renovated ones.

How are the rooms?

The room was nice (14th floor) but a little small especially for a Club room. Bathrooms were modern with rain shower but again a bit tight to manouver.

How is the exec. lounge?
Initially denied access but after insisting it was granted.
Large, it occupies half a floor. Decent but limited breakfast selection, hot and cold canapes in the evening. Limited selection of beverages but decent. Staff a bit overwhelming, hovering over you and removing your plate as soon as you have taken your last bite. Attentative but over the top.

Fruit, local sweets and water.

Good:

- Upgrade to suite
- Front desk manager greeted me and called in the Director of Housekeeping to ask which room on each floor was best !
- Granted lounge access
- Good RA treatment, they will do it if you insist

Bad:
- I had to remind them that I am RA and entitled to certain benefits
- Was told minibar including snacks are free then they tried to charge me for the food items (manager comped them)
- A friend staying at the hotel on a B&B rate wasn't allowed to have breakfast with me in the lounge (I guess fair enough)

A bit pricey at around USD 250 a night but one of the best in the city and great upgrade.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 8:29 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM; IC Plat; SPG Gold
InterContinental Miami

Yes

Booked a standard basic room and received an upgrade to a King Bi-Level Suite.

How are the rooms?
The room was nice (33rd and 34th floors). Living room and guest bath on 33 and bedroom and bathroom on 34.

How is the exec. lounge?
Very nice. Decent selection of beer, wine and spirits. Some snacks in the evening.

Fruit and water.

Good:
- Upgrade to suite
- Granted lounge access
- Good RA treatment

Bad:
Nothing

Absolutely. I paid $279 for standard room during January in Miami and upgraded to very nice suite. No complaint whatsoever.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 11:02 pm

IC Barclay

Meh... a bit frustrated..

Book a 1 king 1 bedroom suite... got a 1 king 1 bedroom suite.

**I lucked out here and the night was free. The morning after I booked expedia launched a sale and I made a best rate guarantee claim. Regardless, this should not have had any impact on my RA treatment (i.e. it was not an award booking). It seemed to...

How are the rooms?

The room was fine (11th floor). Living room with kitchenette and kind bed. Small bathrooms at this hotel, but this was not a surprised.

How is the exec. lounge?
None

Fruit, water, chocolate, and some yogurt or smoothie type shooter things (it was not delivered in the first 2 hours we were there--though we were told it would be delivered "promptly." We left for dinner and by the time we got back it was room temperature, so we passed on the yogurt smoothie shooter type thing...)

Good:
- Minibar, refilled promptly when asked.**
- Free internet for RA
- Late checkout offered without asking

Bad:
*No Upgrade. I pushed them at check-in, agent went to talk to a manager came back and told me the hotel only had 3 suites above what I booked and that they were all occupied. The fact that she went to talk to a manager had me dubious about this, but I did not push this too hard. I suggested maybe they could offer breakfast or something similar, but they did not budge. The lack of care on this matter was frustrating, and it was generally very clear to me from the first moment at check-in they were slighting me because my night was "complimentary."

- No Club Lounge at this hotel. No other offering (i.e. breakfast in restaurant) for RA (not required or expected, but always nice when offered).
- The majority of minibar did not get billed, but 2 days after the stay received a small additional charge on my CC from what I'm certain is a minibar request that got billed as room service. Later in the evening I had asked for a particular refill (just 2 more whiskeys was all i need) and a room service attendant brought them up with a receipt. I mentioned to him it was for the minibar, and not room service. Still dealing with getting this refunded....

Obviously, with the stay being free, very few complaints. But for the $299 rate I booked hoping for an upgrade to one of their bigtime suites and getting no upgrade or other significant RA treatment, not sure I would book again.

Have stayed at this hotel a few times now and its always a wash.... there are some nice weekend rates available though worth considering. I've certainly seen sub $200 rates not infrequently.

Last edited by Surgee; Jan 29, 2013 at 5:40 pm Reason: clarifying club lounge
Old Jan 29, 2013, 9:13 am

Programs: DL Diamond, 2MM; Hilton Diamond; IC Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by awpeters

Meh... a bit frustrated..

Book a 1 king 1 bedroom suite... got a 1 king 1 bedroom suite.

**I lucked out here and the night was free. The morning after I booked expedia launched a sale and I made a best rate guarantee claim. Regardless, this should not have had any impact on my RA treatment (i.e. it was not an award booking). It seemed to...

How are the rooms?

The room was fine (11th floor). Living room with kitchenette and kind bed. Small bathrooms at this hotel, but this was not a surprised.

How is the exec. lounge?
None

Fruit, water, chocolate, and some yogurt or smoothie type shooter things (it was not delivered in the first 2 hours we were there--though we were told it would be delivered "promptly." We left for dinner and by the time we got back it was room temperature, so we passed on the yogurt smoothie shooter type thing...)

Good:
- Minibar, refilled promptly when asked.**
- Free internet for RA
- Late checkout offered without asking

Bad:
*No Upgrade. I pushed them at check-in, agent went to talk to a manager came back and told me the hotel only had 3 suites above what I booked and that they were all occupied. The fact that she went to talk to a manager had me dubious about this, but I did not push this too hard. I suggested maybe they could offer breakfast or something similar, but they did not budge. The lack of care on this matter was frustrating, and it was generally very clear to me from the first moment at check-in they were slighting me because my night was "complimentary."

- No Lounge or other offering for RA.
- The majority of minibar did not get billed, but 2 days after the stay received a small additional charge on my CC from what I'm certain is a minibar request that got billed as room service. Later in the evening I had asked for a particular refill (just 2 more whiskeys was all i need) and a room service attendant brought them up with a receipt. I mentioned to him it was for the minibar, and not room service. Still dealing with getting this refunded....

Obviously, with the stay being free, very few complaints. But for the $299 rate I booked hoping for an upgrade to one of their bigtime suites and getting no upgrade or other significant RA treatment, not sure I would book again.

Have stayed at this hotel a few times now and its always a wash.... there are some nice weekend rates available though worth considering. I've certainly seen sub $200 rates not infrequently.

Of course, the T&C make very clear that there is NO RA upgrade when the original room booked is a suite. Also, it is ambiguous whether you realize that there is no club at the Barclay. If you do, I'm just posting that fact so nobody is misled.

The Barclay is running great rates on their suites in recent months. I've noticed two things when booking a suite. First, there is a kitchenette with a microwave, and second the minibar seems to contain alot more choice and volume of liquor than in the past. I don't stay there enough to know -- have all suites been upgraded in this fashion, or are there different suites for upgrades as opposed to straight booking?
Old Jan 29, 2013, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by Casimir
Of course, the T&C make very clear that there is NO RA upgrade when the original room booked is a suite.
Where do they say that exactly?

A room one category higher than purchased will be assigned to InterContinental Ambassadors
RA is still Ambassador - you are still entitled to a one level upgrade. If you booked the highest available room on that day, the hotel should reduce the rate to the level below the one you booked.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 9:27 am

Programs: IHG
Perhaps not the right time to say that I got the "Barclay Suite" on points last year. Some thing like 6 rooms and 3 bathrooms!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.