Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador
Reload this Page >

Please post your Royal Ambassador experiences (Archive Thread 2013)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Please post your Royal Ambassador experiences (Archive Thread 2013)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2013, 7:11 pm

Programs: American Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Starwood Gold
IC Boston

IC Boston

What is your PC Status?
Royal Ambassador

Stay Breakdown:
1st night - Paid, Ambassador BOGO (1/2)
2nd night - See above (2/2)
3rd night - Mrs. had a Chase Priority Club free night certificate. Hotel was nice enough to daisy-chain these together, never had to check-out/in, never had to change rooms.

What room did you book and what did you receive?
Booked a king superior, upgraded to king deluxe city view prior to arrival, was told I had an executive suite by front desk agent, who promptly upgraded me to an Ambassador Suite. Interesting trail to follow there, but Mrs. and I were delighted!

How are the rooms?
Ambassador Suite was fantastic. 11th floor (out of 12 for the hotel), double-door entryway, two bathrooms, spacious entertaining area including two minibars, master bathroom had dual sinks, waterfall shower, great tub. Really loved the room.

What was your welcome gift?
Fruit and water - although the consistent category upgrade was a nice gift too.

Did you receive fruit in the room?
Yes

How was the club lounge?
Lounge was great (glad to see its finally open 7 days a week), breakfast was a small hot selection with a nice cold selection, excellent coffee. Evening drinks/snacks were always stocked and plentiful. Never had to ask attendant for anything, although the one attendant on staff did seem extremely busy during all "meal" services.

What was good?
Great room, very friendly (although bare-bones) staff. Club lounge was open 7 days a week (hours change per day), always stocked, and attendant(s) very friendly. Great that the hotel was able to put two stays together for us - really made a great impression. RA minibar/movie benefits only extended for the first day, but with two minibars it was not an issue. Other typical Ambassador/Platinum "benefits" (free Internet, late-check out, etc.) extended through entire stay.

What was bad?
Didn't have a bad hotel experience at all. Location never rocked my socks for a vacation stay, but I'm not going to blame/complain about this as I was full aware of where the hotel is.

Value for money?
Oh absolutely. Paid for one night, got three (BOGO and Chase free night. Hotel really made this a great trip for us)

Additional comment
I was involved with this hotel when it was first built/opened, and I'm happy to return as a Royal Ambassador and enjoy the great facility. Met all of our needs and expectations - I'll stop gushing about this now
Old Jan 6, 2013, 7:55 pm

IC Sydney

IC Sydney

What is your Priority Club status?
Platinum Royal Ambassador

Were you happy with the hotel/stay?
Yes

Which room did you book and which upgrade did you receive?
Booked cheapest room, upgraded to 'city view room' with club access. Not sure if the room was an upgrade or not, it was pretty small with no view.

How are the rooms?
Room was small, bathroom showed age but otherwise ok. King size bed, decent size table, a couch and a window 'sitting' area..
Plenty of space for me traveling alone (so i didn't need the suite).
Internet was complimentary (otherwise its a rip off)

How is the exec. lounge?
Great view, nice service, breakfast selections not as good as other club lounges. Reasonably good selection in the evening at happy hour.

A bottle of Australian wine, no other gift

Yes. 6 small fruits in a nice setting. But no knife, no napkin (how do you eat a passion fruit and a kiwi without tools????

What was good?
- Great location
- View from the lounge
- Nice 1/2 bottle of bubbly in the minibar
- Room was ready when arriving around 8 am
- Hotel is completely non smoking

What was bad?
- Only one tiny bottle of Diet Coke in the minibar, no other diet drinks
- Inferior fruit plate
- Had to ask to remove minibar charges at checkout
- Room was small, bathroom very small, no separate shower (not really up to usual IC standards)
- Internet was very slow at times, also needed to log in every time after the PC went to sleep.

Value for $ or Priority Club Points?
With the club upgrade and the RA benefits it was ok. Otherwise it is a bit pricy.

Would you return?
Yes.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 12:21 pm

Programs: RA, Platinum PR
Ic moscow tverskaya (russia)

IC Moscow

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IC Moscow

Nope

Booked cheapest room, no upgrade.It was pretty small with no view. Looks like a cage.

How are the rooms?
Room was small, bathroom had TV set. King size bed, decent size table.
A bit of space for me traveling alone (so i didn't need the suite).
Internet was complimentary (otherwise its a rip off)

Fruits only. Also free minibar but just 2 bottle of beer and 6 bottle of soda, 2 bottles of water.

Yes. 6 small fruits in a nice setting. But no knife, no napkin

What was good?
- Great location (near from city center)
- View from the lounge

What was bad?
- Small fruit plate
- Room was small (not really up to usual IC standards)
- Internet was very slow at times, also needed to log in every time after the PC went to sleep.
-Expensive car parking rate ( $50 per 24 hours, or $4 for hour, if you use car you cann't pay for day, you need pay every time when you go to the city)

RA benefits it was ok. Otherwise it is a overpriced. Best suggestion - Holiday Inn Sokolniki - more space in room, nice mini bar, near subway

Would you return?
Nope
Old Jan 7, 2013, 12:27 pm

Programs: IHG
Originally Posted by Donald_Trump
IC Moscow

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IC Moscow

(...)
Booked cheapest room, no upgrade.It was pretty small with no view. Looks like a cage.

(..)
Did you pay for club access, or was it free?

Last edited by FLYGVA; Jan 7, 2013 at 11:25 pm Reason: no need to quote the whole post
Old Jan 7, 2013, 12:31 pm

Programs: RA, Platinum PR
I don't use it, you need pay for everything))
Club - need to pay
Breakfast - need to pay
parking - need to pay

But employees are so nice and always smile. You don't know it's a nice or it told you "Welcome to Rip off!"
Old Jan 7, 2013, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
InterContinental Frankfurt

What is your Priority Club Status?
Platinum Royal Ambassador.

Were you (or for multi-stayers are you generally) happy with the hotel/stay?
Yes

Booked the cheapest rate and received a Panoramic suite with club access.

How are the rooms?
Around 60 sqm (addition of two standard rooms)

Classic, slightly dated, but still quite elegant

Living room with sofa, elegant desk
Nespresso machine, kettle, desk. No iPhone dock
Terrace with view over the Main, the Museum opposite the River, and of course the Financial district skyline

Bedroom with comfortable bed and desk.

Two bathrooms with large bottles of Agraria products
Two minibars
Old television set in each room

Very quiet
Fast wifi

Video of the Panoramic suite

How is the exec. lounge?
Pleasant decor and atmosphere. View over the River. Terrace. Quiet
Very kind staff
Excellent selection of evening canapés. Hot meals. Drinks

Breakfast on Sunday was served on the ground floor, in a conference room (temporary choice?) with ugly lighting. Food and service which could have been better

What was good and what was bad?
Good:
- Central location (10 minutes walk to luxury shopping district, most museums, Opera). 5 minutes walk to the Central Station, with easy transfer to the airport.
- Pleasant club lounge and suite

Bad:
- Breakfast could have been better
-

Value for $ or Priority Club Points?Would you return?
No thrills at this huge business hotel, but solid product. A renovation is welcomed to make this property as attractive as IC Düsseldorf

Never understood why the building in front of the hotel - empty for years - is not transformed into a luxury InterContinental Residences.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 9:12 pm

Programs: LH HON, Discovery Black, IHG Spire, random stuff at Accor, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Hertz, Sixt
IC Bangkok

RA

As expected

Reward night, no upgrade (Hotel was full due to NYE) but Check-In was granted at 8am which was most important for me in this situation.

How are the rooms?
Still nice, awesome views from upper floors, extremely comfortable beds. Room itself was in a good condition, however the bathroom seemed to become dated.

How is the exec. lounge?
No access this time

A bottle of Australien red wine (ok'ish)

Small plate with local fruit

^
- early check-in on award stay
- nice and friendly staff

- it would not be fair to complain about a missing upgrade on an award stay...but it would have been nice anyway

good since rates were quite high at this time

Would you return?
Yes, on a good rate.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 9:31 pm

Programs: LH HON, Discovery Black, IHG Spire, random stuff at Accor, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Hertz, Sixt
IC Kuala Lumpur

RA

Not really

Lowest category booked on adv. purchase incl. breakfast, upgraded to Premier Grand which is strictly two levels. Not a really satisfying upgrade since standard rooms, 'Premier' rooms (1 level up) and 'Grand Premier' (2 level up) have the same size. However, 'Grand Premier' are renovated (see below).

How are the rooms?
Nicely renovated and fresh room, sophisticated design with an asian touch. Huge and comfortable bed. Large TV set and DVD-Player but no Pay-TV. So far so good. But the totally missed out the bathroom. Lots of black spots in the corners and especially the shower. Wooden bathroom door kind of 'rotten' on bottom.
Minibar seemed 'RA-Customized', i.e. no liquor, no wine, only three beers and about ten softdrinks incl. water.

How is the exec. lounge?
No access granted. Asked for it, also given the fact that I was alone + breakfast was included in my rate anyway. No chance.

Some strange local picture in a wooden frame. Nothing that I would like to carry when travelling.

Some basics: Apple, Pear, Orange, Banana

^
- Nicely decorated new room
- good location for KL Sentral (via Metro), KLCC and tourist areas

- RA benefits (small upgrades, no lounge, customized Minibar)
- Huge service issues (Checked In as another person even though they had my Passport, Instant Service not available for over half an hour at several times, Newspaper not delivered, some staff does not no about RA policy at all, no one at the pool for long time)
- Partly gym renovation without any prior notice, Pool area in need of refurbishment
- Breakfast in the Restaurant is incredibly annoying: Large hall, cramped, many people (had to wait for a single table for ten minutes), very noisy, strong smell of food + very slow service

Rate was not too high, nevertheless i do not consider it good since they do not really recognize RA status + service level at this property is rather 4star

Would you return?
I do not think so. Worst IC experience for a longer time. This seriously just seems to be a rebranded Hotel - no "IC Feeling" at all!
Old Jan 7, 2013, 10:17 pm

Programs: AA ex Plat, IC Plat , Hilton Diamond
Comments on KL. if you spend about 50 ringgit more, the 2 level upgrade will also bring you into complimentary club. Club is decent here, just finished the new lounge about 2 months ago. They do hold to the minimum upgrade policy, but you will also get club access.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 12:32 am

Scottsdale, Arizona IC - The Montelucia

RA

It was just OK. My 3rd trip there, having had 2 prior great stays with suite upgrades, recognition, etc. But "the stars have fallen from my eyes" -- I won't be returning.

I booked a view king and got a view king
Their rationale was that my view was of a mountain so they considered that my "upgrade."

How are the rooms?
It was a good, but not great room, and indeed the view of the mountain off the balconey was nice. But otherwise it was nothing spectacular, pretty much a standard / deluxe room. The minibar was nicely stocked, thank god, as it was a 3-day New Year's holiday stay. So I did some major damage to the mini-bar. The alcohol (and free movie) were on my bill when I checked out but they deleted the charges when I reminded them.

How is the exec. lounge?
No lounge. The resort has two restaurants on site and a nice little sundries "store."

No gift, but got 3 pieces of fruit and one bottled water.

Good -
The hotel is in the most beautiful residential area in Phoenix / Scottsdale, Arizona - "Paradise Valley" - walking distance to Camelback Mountain.
The gym & spa area are quite nice, among the best in the IC chain.
Underground self-parking is a convenient alternative to the valet.

Bad -
No upgrade at all
No RA ambassador recognition
Got the paper only one of 3 days there.
Spotty internet service.
My room was way in the back of the resort, requiring a farther walk throughout the day then I expected.

Rate wasn't too bad given it was a holiday weekend, but as there was no upgrade or recognition, it felt a mediocre value.
The resort is nice, not five star, more like a four star resort.

Would you return?
No. Scottsdale has so many nice alternative resorts like a great Marriott, a great Hyatt, and other options, I will try one of those next time.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 5:09 pm

Programs: UA 3.6MM, AF/KL Lifetime Plat, BA Gold, AA 1MM, IC Spire RA, Kimpton IC, Marriott Plat, et alia
IC New York City Times Square Manhattan

- Were you (or for multi-stayers are you generally) happy with the hotel/stay?
Yes
- Which room did you book and which upgrade did you receive?
One stay (points) for 2 nights over New Year's Eve, another paid stay.
Points stay - upgraded to a "Skyview Room" because "Avenue Rooms" were booked; with apologies the hotel sent me a free bottle of wine and a cheese platter - thank you!
Paid stay - upgraded to "Avenue Room"

- How are the rooms?
Overall, small but this is New York. Tastefully furnished. No bathtubs (!) in any of the rooms.

- How is the exec. lounge?
None.

- What was good and what was bad?
Plus:
Friendly service.
Great Ambassador desk.
Upgrades and all RA services (incl. minibar, movies, Internet, early/late checkin/out) on free stays.
Minus:
No club lounge - and no free drink or breakfast coupons to compensate.

- Value for $ or Priority Club Points? Would you return?
Over New Year's, the rates are over $800, for standing for 8 hours outside in the cold, with no toilets, no drinking in the square thanks to the Bloomberg police state, being serenaded by never-heard-of "entertainers," and a distant view of some little apple sliding down a pole. Way too crowded. It may be on your bucket list but avoid it. It really is not worth it.
Paid stay was great value for money for New York City.

Last edited by vsevolod4; Feb 19, 2013 at 6:46 pm
Old Jan 10, 2013, 1:27 am

Programs: NW Diamond, LH SEN, PC Spire - RA, TG PlatHyatt Diamond
IC Beijing Financial Street

Platinum RA

Yes

Booked King Bed Superior, received King Bed Elite Suite

How are the rooms?
Very large suite that is actually two ajoined rooms. Both rooms areas have full bathrooms.

How is the exec. lounge?
Nice offerings on breakfast, tea time and cocktail hour.
Could opt for breakfast at main restaurant.

Good
- Room was available immediately on checkin 8AM
- Wine, brownies and daily fruits platter
- Decent mini-bar with some minis

Bad
- Location is not the best option for vacation

Good value for $.

Would you return?
Yes
Old Jan 10, 2013, 4:14 pm

Programs: IHG
IC Berlin

Is your RA status earned or referred?
Earned.

What room type did you book?
Club Superior.

What room did you receive?
Club Deluxe.
I was told I must book a Club Deluxe, not Club Superior in order to have a suite.
The Club Deluxe category did not show on the IHG booking site so I didn't know it existed. Next time I'll just book the cheapest room available.

How was your room?
Well equipped and comfortable.

How was the Lounge?
Loved it. Breakfast until 1pm at weekends, hot soup all afternoon and evening. Chef introduced himself and offered to prepare special hot snacks.

What was good?
Club Lounge. Service. Very smart room. Concierge.

What was bad?
No fruit or welcome gift until day three. No welcome letter. No weekend newspaper. Questionable upgrade.

Value for money?
Not bad.

Will you return?
Yes. I enjoyed my first visit to Berlin.

Any tips?
The Block House (Steak) Restaurant chain is worth a visit.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 2:51 am

Programs: QFF P1 / OW EMERALD, VA PLATINUM, ETIHAD GUEST GOLD, IC RA, HH DIAMOND
IC SYD

IC Sydney

Yes

Booked 'City View Room', received same with Club Access

How are the rooms?
The rooms are nice, comfortable and clean, however in my opinion, they are dated.... this hotel could do with an upgrade - the bathrooms in particular. I hate showers over (old) bathtubs with a SHOWER CURTAIN!

How is the exec. lounge?
The Club Lounge is the saving grace for this IC property, and probably the only reason I keep returning.... brilliant views, AMAZING service - rare to experience in Australia (sorry to say - sad but true, I live in OZ). The staff are noticeably courteous, polite and genuine. Nothing like a twilight drink on the balcony overlooking the harbour. If it's slightly chilly, they provide knee blankets. Breakfast / evening canapes are served 'buffet' style, food is great, good selection.

A bottle of red wine and a small box of festive chocolates.

A variety of 6 fruits on a nice plate.

What was good?
- Club Lounge (all aspects of it!)
- Service in the Club Lounge - staff are amazing, very helpful, friendly
- Great selection of recent movies
- Bill upon checkout was perfect (have had problems here before - charges for mini bar, movie, internet etc.)

What was bad?
- Perhaps the dated bathroom
- Advertises Agraria toiletries, still provide Elemis toiletries (must be trying to get rid of stock)
- Location is good, but depends what you're in Sydney for

To answer honestly: without my RA benefits, I would not be staying here.... price per night is on the upper end of the scale. I'd most likely be staying at the Hilton Sydney.

Would you return?
Yes (whilst I have RA status!)
Old Jan 11, 2013, 2:59 am

Programs: Spire RA, 1865 Voyager, Bonvoy Titanium, FB LP, LH SEN.
Originally Posted by pyxis
[...]
What was bad?
[...]
- Advertises Agraria toiletries, still provide Elemis toiletries (must be trying to get rid of stock)
[...]
Agraria is certainly nothing you would have missed

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.