Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador
Reload this Page >

Please post your Royal Ambassador experiences (Archive Thread 2013)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Please post your Royal Ambassador experiences (Archive Thread 2013)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2013, 7:37 am

Intercontinental Berchtesgaden

InterContinental Berchtesgaden

What is your Priority Club status?
Platinum Royal Ambassador

Were you (or for multi-stayers are you generally) happy with the hotel/stay?
Yes

Which room did you book and which upgrade did you receive?
Booked cheapest room with BOGO, received: Penthouse Suite

How are the rooms?

Here some pictures:
http://youhavebeenupgraded.boardinga...berchtesgaden/

How is the exec. lounge?
No Lounge

What was your welcome gift?
Bottle red wine

Did you receive fruit in the room?
Yes

What was good and what was bad?
Good
  • Upgrade
  • Huge Suite
  • Free healthy Minibar (for everyone)
  • Changed their upgrade policy for RAs

Value for $ or Priority Club Points?
Yes, rate was 200 Euro with BOGO (=100 Euro per night)

Would you return?
Yes

Last edited by youhavebeenupgraded; Mar 12, 2014 at 1:22 pm
Old Feb 20, 2013, 4:32 pm

When I was in Madrid last summer the service was excellent - mind you it was a special occassion why I visited and the hotel were aware of it. However there were a few things that I was disappointed with.

I booked a club room using my ambassador weekend and was told I have been upgraded to a junior suite. Was hoping for a but more but could not complain - until I saw the room. Until this day I am convinced that I was not upgraded. The room was pretty big - but not what I consider to be a junior suite - more of a large bedroom. There was no separate living area - just a sofa and a coffee table in the room. The Deluxe rooms at the IC Berlin was more like a suite then the room I had in Madrid.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by heer84
When I was in Madrid last summer the service was excellent - mind you it was a special occassion why I visited and the hotel were aware of it. However there were a few things that I was disappointed with.

I booked a club room using my ambassador weekend and was told I have been upgraded to a junior suite. Was hoping for a but more but could not complain - until I saw the room. Until this day I am convinced that I was not upgraded. The room was pretty big - but not what I consider to be a junior suite - more of a large bedroom. There was no separate living area - just a sofa and a coffee table in the room. The Deluxe rooms at the IC Berlin was more like a suite then the room I had in Madrid.
Not too familiar with Madrid, but the junior suites in the IC SF (Howard St) are similar to what you describe. Basically a large oversized king bedroom in the corner of the hotel. No separate living/bedroom area. Just two single couches and an ottoman - no coffee table either. So I'm not sure I'd expect junior suites to have separate living room and bedroom like a full suite would.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by Apieinthesky
Not too familiar with Madrid, but the junior suites in the IC SF (Howard St) are similar to what you describe. Basically a large oversized king bedroom in the corner of the hotel. No separate living/bedroom area. Just two single couches and an ottoman - no coffee table either. So I'm not sure I'd expect junior suites to have separate living room and bedroom like a full suite would.
I had a similar room in Rome, I think it depends on the hotel. The IC Toronto Centre has some pretty nice junior suites club level with a view of the CN Tower but yeah its more of a divider verses a separate room. I was disappointed with the room in Rome, it was cluttered and dark.

Last edited by the_commish3; Feb 20, 2013 at 11:21 pm
Old Feb 21, 2013, 12:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by the_commish3
I had a similar room in Rome, I think it depends on the hotel. The IC Toronto Centre has some pretty nice junior suites club level with a view of the CN Tower but yeah its more of a divider verses a separate room. I was disappointed with the room in Rome, it was cluttered and dark.
It depends not only on the hotel, it depends on the actual suite. I've been in several very different "junior suites" in Rome. One was spectacularly good. The same sort of thing exists in Paris and several other Euro hotels.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 2:37 am

Intercontinental Bali

InterContinental Bali

Yes

Booked Club Room with Best Price Guarantee, received Club Duplex Suite.

How are the rooms?

Here some pictures:
http://youhavebeenupgraded.boardinga...tinental-bali/

How is the exec. lounge?

Here some pictures:
http://youhavebeenupgraded.boardinga...nental-bali-2/

Box of chocolates

Yes

Good
  • Club Breakfast
  • Club Lounge
  • Drinks at the Club Lounge
  • Butler service

Bad
  • Evening spread

Best Price Guarantee?

Would you return?
Yes

Last edited by youhavebeenupgraded; Mar 12, 2014 at 1:21 pm
Old Feb 21, 2013, 12:29 pm

Programs: IHG
To Youhavebeen upgraded RE IC Berchtesgaden..

Changed their upgrade policy for RAs

Was this verbally confirmed, or did you assume that to be the case based on your upgrade?
Old Feb 21, 2013, 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by turner32
To Youhavebeen upgraded RE IC Berchtesgaden..

Changed their upgrade policy for RAs

Was this verbally confirmed, or did you assume that to be the case based on your upgrade?
2011: Stayed with Bogo and received a one time upgrade
2013: Stayed with Bogo and received a penthouse suite. Yes, I assume that they changed their upgrade policy.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 1:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by youhavebeenupgraded
2011: Stayed with Bogo and received a one time upgrade
2013: Stayed with Bogo and received a penthouse suite. Yes, I assume that they changed their upgrade policy.
... or you simpply got lucky.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 3:07 am

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
... or you simpply got lucky.
onemileatatime received the same upgrade twice
Old Feb 22, 2013, 10:38 am

Location: District of Columbia, Maryland- AA 2M Life Platinum, UA 1K, TK Gold, BA Silver, IC RA, Fairmont/Marriott Platinum, SPG/Hilton/Omni Gold, Wynn/Makers Mark Ambassador, Hertz Presidents Circle, Avis Chairmans, National Executive
Intercontinental Bangkok

Yes

Deluxe Room, received a Business Class Room?

How are the rooms?
Black and gold, great desk for work space, separate shower and tub. Room still felt averaged size despite being "upgraded".

How is the exec. lounge?
Wonderful, huge fan of Thai food but also had great Western food as well. Breakfasts in Bangkok hotels are the culinary highlight of my day with the fine selection of fruit juices and smoothies.

Teddy bear wearing a black Intercontinental Bangkok shirt, water and fruit

Yes

Hate haggling over top tier benefits, end result I had to choose between suite or Club. As food is wonderful and cheap in Thailand, lounge seemed like a waste but after seeing junior suite, seemed better choice.
Had trouble using my weekend BOGO, got 2nd night taken off bill but instructed twice to pay higher rate. I approved it twice as it was something low like $23. Kept asking me and I kept saying yes, final bill never got charged higher amount as was charged in full after first night.
Also, rooftop pool had limited view and felt more like a dog bowl on top of a roof. It was deep and small but having to climb up to it makes it feel temporary and tacky, like an above ground pool is.

Bad
If this hotel were in a US city like Chicago or Pittsburgh, it would have wowed me. Being in Thailand and having great IC stays in other parts of Asia, I expected a little more. First, very high rate due to Asian business travelers and its great location in Siam. For the money, I would prefer to splurge on a hotel I normally would not go to like Shangri-La or book 2 nights at nearby Renaissance.

Only good value because of mini bar (free drinks in lounge although that might have changed) and use of free weekend night.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 9:58 pm

Programs: TK/SQ Gold, QR Plat, Marriott/Accor Plat, IC Dia Amb, HH Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by idealflyer
Breakfasts in Bangkok hotels are the culinary highlight of my day with the fine selection of fruit juices and smoothies.
You know their secret is just extra sugar in their fruit juices right?
Old Feb 22, 2013, 10:22 pm

Programs: TK E+
Originally Posted by idealflyer
Intercontinental Bangkok

Had trouble using my weekend BOGO, got 2nd night taken off bill but instructed twice to pay higher rate. I approved it twice as it was something low like $23. Kept asking me and I kept saying yes, final bill never got charged higher amount as was charged in full after first night.
Also, rooftop pool had limited view and felt more like a dog bowl on top of a roof. It was deep and small but having to climb up to it makes it feel temporary and tacky, like an above ground pool is.

Bad
If this hotel were in a US city like Chicago or Pittsburgh, it would have wowed me. Being in Thailand and having great IC stays in other parts of Asia, I expected a little more. First, very high rate due to Asian business travelers and its great location in Siam. For the money, I would prefer to splurge on a hotel I normally would not go to like Shangri-La or book 2 nights at nearby Renaissance.

Only good value because of mini bar (free drinks in lounge although that might have changed) and use of free weekend night.
What is going on at IC BKK. Several here, including myself, have reported similar experiences; Lot's of issues that seems to be due to a lack of proper training of the staff. This hotel used to be one of the best IC's around, and now it's nothing more than average. Have they had a change in management lately?
Old Feb 23, 2013, 2:01 am

Location: District of Columbia, Maryland- AA 2M Life Platinum, UA 1K, TK Gold, BA Silver, IC RA, Fairmont/Marriott Platinum, SPG/Hilton/Omni Gold, Wynn/Makers Mark Ambassador, Hertz Presidents Circle, Avis Chairmans, National Executive
I was wondering if they changed management as well. My impression is they are too busy and sell out to deal with demanding RAs!
Old Feb 23, 2013, 3:01 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
IC London Park Lane

IC London Park Lane

Yes

- Booked cheapest room for 175GBP Advance Rate for a Friday night, 4weeks in advance
- Modified next morning = Executive room
- Modified circa 9pm day before arrival = 1 bedroom suite (was courtyard, not park view)

How are the rooms?
Nice, I still think TV screens could be bigger though
Double size bottles of Agraria toiletries

How is the exec. lounge?
78gbp per room, great value if 9am checkin, 4pm deparure

5oz box of Choc Chip cookies, welcome card, no letter outlining RA benefits

4x Mandarins

Good

Upgrade
Free well stocked minibar, (refilled 10am, so I consumed 3 bottle of bubbly. )
Free Internet was fast (no 2speeds where RA can only have slow non-business speed ! )
Free Movie
Early checkin, late Checkout
TV channel choice includes sky sports , espn etc .

Bad
Nothing

Yes Great at this advance rate,
IC-PL Advance rate cheaper than my usual CP-St James and CP London City

Would you return?
Yes, one of the best IC's in Europe.
Next week returning for 2nights on 40Kpoints + $70cash, booked IC-PL late due to changed travel plans.

Last edited by scubaccr; Feb 24, 2013 at 12:18 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.