Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Platinum recognition hits a low - downgraded!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2014, 7:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL, LTG & CCR; IC RA; Hilton D (free from BA)
Platinum recognition hits a low - downgraded!

Hi
Never really been that fussed by upgrades at Holiday Inns as I book what I want. Yesterday booked into the HI Brent Cross, UK. Booked and advanced paid for an Exec Room and got a message during the day that for 'unforeseen circumstances' I had been downgraded to an ordinary room. On check in the rate had gone down to the standard rate and the room had a bath robe and bottle of water as the receptionist said something about amenities put into the room. I assumed the 'unforeseen circumstance' was a problem with a floor or something. However checking out this morning I innocently asked why I was downgraded, I was a bit surprised that it was because of oversell and the hotel was full.

I booked the room 10 days in advance, anyone experience of this? I would have hoped that as a Plat RA I would be amongst the last to be downgraded - but apparently not.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 7:25 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL Gold, IHG Diamond AMB, MR Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, National EE
Pretty pathetic on the part of the hotel. I would request compensation in the form of points.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 7:29 am

Originally Posted by IThink
Hi
Never really been that fussed by upgrades at Holiday Inns as I book what I want. Yesterday booked into the HI Brent Cross, UK. Booked and advanced paid for an Exec Room and got a message during the day that for 'unforeseen circumstances' I had been downgraded to an ordinary room. On check in the rate had gone down to the standard rate and the room had a bath robe and bottle of water as the receptionist said something about amenities put into the room. I assumed the 'unforeseen circumstance' was a problem with a floor or something. However checking out this morning I innocently asked why I was downgraded, I was a bit surprised that it was because of oversell and the hotel was full.

I booked the room 10 days in advance, anyone experience of this? I would have hoped that as a Plat RA I would be amongst the last to be downgraded - but apparently not.
It shouldn't happen unless everyone with a reservation is plat. I'm sure there are thirty exec rooms in the hotel and the chances of them all being occupied by Plats?

I'd definitely follow it up with the GM
Old Dec 30, 2014, 7:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Was there a higher category room to which the OP could instead have been upgraded, even if such upgrade would not normally be available on the basis of status?
Old Dec 30, 2014, 8:14 am
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
The reservation was not honored and you should get the first night free.

HTB.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 8:15 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Was there a higher category room to which the OP could instead have been upgraded, even if such upgrade would not normally be available on the basis of status?
IIRC there are only Standard and Exec here. They sell a superior room which is priced midway between Standard and Exec however it essentially a standard room with water and dressing gown which sounds like what OP has been given.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 8:47 am

Programs: AA EXP & 3MM, Priority Club Plat since 1984
Originally Posted by htb

HTB.
Agreed.

More often than not, when changes like tha occur, it is a front desk clerk making the call. And that often entails a cute person checking in he/she is trying to impress.

When employee training and customer service are job 9 versus job1 this is what we get.

(By the way, did you know they are not trained to say,"You're numbers in there already."? I was surprised too.)
Old Dec 30, 2014, 9:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Maybe you checked in later than everyone else who had booked an Exec room? What is the difference in the standard/executive rooms anyway bar the extra frills which you received anyway?

Worth following up for some points nonetheless.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 9:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL, LTG & CCR; IC RA; Hilton D (free from BA)
Thanks guys, I will try and follow it up
Old Jan 4, 2015, 5:13 am
BP3

Originally Posted by htb

HTB.

Is that the official policy? CP Reading downgraded me as a plat, made no mention of it at checkin and kept the rate the same. After I got to the room and complained, all they gave me was a rate adjustment and 5000 points.

I'm thinking that they got off lightly?
Old Jan 4, 2015, 5:17 am
uk1
Suspended

I think "the guarantee" guarantees "a room" not necessarily the room you booked, and further only appears to relate to bookings made via IHG® Rewards Club Service Centre and not in any other way.

Guaranteed Room Availability for Platinum Members: When contacting the IHG® Rewards Club Service Centre directly and guaranteeing the reservation with a valid credit card, each Platinum level member will be guaranteed one room for personal use, for reservations made at least 72 hours prior to the date of arrival, except during special events that result in extraordinary room demand, as determined solely by the hotel. The member will not be charged more than the prevailing rate for the accommodation requested, and the member is not entitled to a rate less than the prevailing rate. Once made, Platinum Guarantees may not be dishonoured for any reason. If the member does not arrive and has not obtained a cancellation number prior to 6 p.m. (4 p.m. in ), the credit card may be billed for one night's room and tax. Platinum Guarantees do not apply to Reward Nights. A minimum stay duration requirement may apply at select Holiday Inn Club Vacations locations.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 5:43 am
htb

Originally Posted by BP3
Is that the official policy? CP Reading downgraded me as a plat, made no mention of it at checkin and kept the rate the same. After I got to the room and complained, all they gave me was a rate adjustment and 5000 points.

I'm thinking that they got off lightly?
They probably have "a" room in mind, but they don't really say so. I think with a bit of disussion you should get it applied to downgrades, one bed instead of two etc: https://www.ihg.com/hotels/us/en/cus...ith-confidence. Or do they mean "you can be confident that we find the worst available room available for your stay"?

Originally Posted by uk1
I think "the guarantee" guarantees "a room" not necessarily the room you booked, and further only appears to relate to bookings made via IHG® Rewards Club Service Centre and not in any other way.
That's another guarantee, which sometimes works, if it's in the interest of the hotel.

HTB.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 6:33 am
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by htb
They probably have "a" room in mind, but they don't really say so. I think with a bit of disussion you should get it applied to downgrades, one bed instead of two etc: https://www.ihg.com/hotels/us/en/cus...ith-confidence. Or do they mean "you can be confident that we find the worst available room available for your stay"?

That's another guarantee, which sometimes works, if it's in the interest of the hotel.

HTB.
But your post also links to a different guarantee and is nothing to do with the preservation of exact rooms types. It is intended to ensure you have some sort of accommodation if the property overbooks. I'm not clear what greater guarantee you think that the link you provided gives over the one in the one I cited. Whilst it says "If your reservation cannot be honoured" it doesn't mention anything about room grade booked as it clearly says it will find "a room" at another hotel which is a guarantee of a basic room nothing more nothing less. It seems solely intended to reassure you when they have overbooked that you will have some sort of roof over your head and not abandoned.

Basically, as I said, I see no guarantee anywhere of a particular room or suite type with any compensation if they don't provide it.

Old Jan 4, 2015, 8:57 am
htb

Originally Posted by uk1
But your post also links to a different guarantee and is nothing to do with the preservation of exact rooms types. It is intended to ensure you have some sort of accommodation if the property overbooks. I'm not clear what greater guarantee you think that the link you provided gives over the one in the one I cited.
I don't see how the Platinum Availability Guarantee and the Online Reservation Guarantee can be confused with each other. I don't see how the Platinum Availability Guarantee is even remotely relevant in this case.

Originally Posted by uk1
...it doesn't mention anything about room grade booked as it clearly says it will find "a room" at another hotel which is a guarantee of a basic room nothing more nothing less. It seems solely intended to reassure you when they have overbooked that you will have some sort of roof over your head and not abandoned.
And it says that the first night will then be free of charge. My booking isn't beeing honored and I don't care if they drive me to a different hotel and give me a room I didn't reserve or if they provide me with a room I didn't reserve in their own hotel. I would claim a free night or the equivalent in points. I'm sure they had a financially sound reason to give my room away or otherwise get their money from the guest who devastated it the night before.

HTB.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by htb
+1, according to T&C (if you have booked your stay through ihg.com)

Even if the hotel informed you about the situation before your arrival (which is the minimum but not all properties would have done that).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.