New year - when does the status downgrade happen?

Old Dec 23, 2014, 6:34 am
Original Poster

Hello,

I tried searching for some info on this but did not find any - apologies if this is a very trivial question:

I'm currently IHG Plat and I have 4 stays on the last days of December to keep the status for 2015 also. I also have stays right after new years lined up.

Now my question is, when does the status downgrade happen? Does it happen overnight on Jan 1st? I mean, the stays from the last days of the year have not even registered to the account yet on Jan 1st, so IHG can't downgrade you right away? Or what is your experience on this from previous years?

Many thanks for any insight!
Old Dec 23, 2014, 11:13 am

Programs: Priority Club Platinum
On this point - has anyone received their new membership card for 2015 yet?
By this time last year I had received mine confirming Platinum status for a further 12 months.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Everything I see on the IHG site just says good until end of the calendar year.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 12:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL Gold, IHG Diamond AMB, MR Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, National EE
I think the OP is clear on when status is supposed to expire, but isn't sure when it is actually reflected in your account. He/she is afraid that they will be downgraded before their late December stays are able to post to their account.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 1:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by emurray077
I think the OP is clear on when status is supposed to expire, but isn't sure when it is actually reflected in your account. He/she is afraid that they will be downgraded before their late December stays are able to post to their account.
Yes, exactly. I tried to express myself clearly but maybe I was not that succesful.

I know that the status year ends when the year ends, but the dilemma is that the stays from end of December will be not posted by 1st of Jan to one's account - so do you go back and forth between getting downgraded and then upgraded again, or is there some kind of "grace period" where you retain status until everything from the previous year has posted?
Old Dec 23, 2014, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by justdennis
By this time last year I had received mine confirming Platinum status for a further 12 months.
Yes about six months ago out of the blue a card thru 2015 arrived. I was a bit puzzled with it but I noticed that my elite qualifying points had went over the 60k a few weeks earlier and just assumed it was an automatic generation given that I had theoretically re-qualified.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by justdennis
They send out membership cards? I don't think I've ever gotten one of those. I'm perma-plat because of the CC.
Old Dec 24, 2014, 10:15 am
Original Poster

And to add, I know the theory (you downgrade 1st of Jan) - I was looking for info on how it is in practice, since there is overlap between the date of official downgrade date and the date when the last stays from last year might actually post.

But anyway I'll find out this myself soon enough. have a good xmas
Old Dec 24, 2014, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by _fly_
Sigh. i'm not asking when I'm upgraded, but when I'm _downgraded_, which is a different thing and the thread does not answer that.
A colleague dropped a tier three or four years ago IIRC whilst they were in the middle of a stay IIRC the full stay posted at the higher tier, ie with the 50% bonus points.

I can't remember exactly what they said about the system downgrading them but I do remember that when we both arrived at a hotel together around the 8th January the front desk said they were gold rather than plat so it does happen fairly quickly as most stays will have posted by around the 5th.

Not sure if that helps you, apologies if it doesn't.
Old Dec 24, 2014, 2:21 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
IIRC, a few years ago I failed to requalify for Platinum, and yet my stays involving checking in during part of January had the hotels giving me the status benefits still. I'll try to have my records pulled to see which stay was the last one where that happened, but I'm pretty sure those stays of mine happened in January of the year before the London Olympics (2012).

Just checked and it was for a stay starting on January 8th, 2011.
Old Dec 25, 2014, 12:03 am

Programs: IHG Platinum HHonors Gold
usually around the mid of Jan...
Old Dec 25, 2014, 4:41 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold (*G), IHG Platinum & Hyatt Discoverist
Last year my (temporary) drop from Platinum to Gold happened on 18 January.
Old Dec 26, 2014, 1:43 am
Original Poster

Thank you, very useful info! Will add my own experience once it happens.
Old Jan 11, 2015, 4:56 pm

So, has anyone been downgraded yet?

(someone I know who had only 9 stays last year is still Gold)
Old Jan 19, 2015, 11:34 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold (*G), IHG Platinum & Hyatt Discoverist
Still sitting as a Platinum Ambassador.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.