New year - when does the status downgrade happen?

Old Jan 20, 2015, 12:35 am

Programs: IHG, CC, HH, AF, AA, UA
Now down to Gold, unfortunately.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 12:43 pm

Programs: IHG Plat, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by yann
Same here because I stayed mostly at Marriott properties last year, re-qualifying for Platinum there.

Does anyone know if IHG offers any status match? Will this year be staying in several countries where I would prefer IHG, actually, but Gold won't get me anything I guess but Platinum would because these counties are in Asia.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 2:30 pm

Programs: BA - Silver, IHG Platinum, Flying Blue Silver
Was about 4000 points short last year but still Platinum^ fingers crossed they have overlooked the shortfall, been platinum for about 8 years would consider moving my loyalty to Club Carlson if I am downgraded.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 3:48 am

Also been downgraded to gold today, even though they sent me a 2015 platinum card which I didn't qualify for.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 3:57 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold (*G), IHG Platinum & Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Gojoglobal
Was about 4000 points short last year but still Platinum^ fingers crossed they have overlooked the shortfall, been platinum for about 8 years
I would have only qualified for Gold so assume it's the Ambassador program kicking in to preserve status at signup until end of the AMB year, which in my case is October.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 7:22 am

Programs: BAEC Flying Blue
New cards

I received 2 new platinum cards today (in separate envelopes)
One with expiry date 2015 and the other 2016

I think I must have qualified twice - once with 40 stays and 4 brands and 2nd time with 3 nights in December

All adds to the confusion!
Old Jan 23, 2015, 6:19 am

Programs: not a lot
Ah well - after 10 years of plat I'm now back to nothing. Was good whilst it lasted.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 2:21 am
Original Poster

to answer my own question, I was downgraded on the 20th of January from Plat to Gold. luckily also upgraded back to Plat couple of days after
Old Jan 28, 2015, 4:23 am

@:-)
Originally Posted by _fly_
to answer my own question, I was downgraded on the 20th of January from Plat to Gold. luckily also upgraded back to Plat couple of days after
Hi,

Did you fall short of the automatic plat renewal criteria?

Was your upgrade processed automatically or did you ask for it to be reviewed?
Old Jan 28, 2015, 12:38 pm

Programs: IHG Spire for what its worth
I'm back to gold, first time in about a decade. I'm just going to enjoy staying in different properties now on.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 6:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LiviLion
@:-)

Hi,

Did you fall short of the automatic plat renewal criteria?

Was your upgrade processed automatically or did you ask for it to be reviewed?
I did fall short after all for last year. I did not ask to for a review - I actually already qualified this year with points - I had two bonus package stays in New York, one for 30k points and one for 25k points. Those two stays plus the base points from the same stays already gave me over 60k points to qualify for plat this year.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 8:54 am

Originally Posted by Lorian
I'm back to gold, first time in about a decade. I'm just going to enjoy staying in different properties now on.
I emailed asking if they would consider reinstating my plat status for a year based on the fact I'd been a plat for 10 continuous years previously and the majority of those years had (well) in excess of 50 paid nights so I wasn't just qualifying by 60k points (the easy way). Got a reply a few hours later saying no it could not be done.

Will take my pounds elsewhere this year I think.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 8:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by Coathanger
I would have only qualified for Gold so assume it's the Ambassador program kicking in to preserve status at signup until end of the AMB year, which in my case is October.
I think I'm in the same situation. I've been Ambassador for a few years now. And I think 2012 was the last year which I had enough points (and nights) earned to re-qualify for Platinum (meaning 2013 was my last "real" Platinum year). But last year, and so far this year, my status is Platinum Ambassador. And my Ambassador status ends each year at the end of September.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 12:21 am

Programs: IHG, CC, HH, AF, AA, UA
Originally Posted by Fanjet
I think I'm in the same situation. I've been Ambassador for a few years now. And I think 2012 was the last year which I had enough points (and nights) earned to re-qualify for Platinum (meaning 2013 was my last "real" Platinum year). But last year, and so far this year, my status is Platinum Ambassador. And my Ambassador status ends each year at the end of September.
This is a huge unpublished benefit of Ambassador status. I wish I knew before I gave it up.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 1:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
This is a huge unpublished benefit of Ambassador status. I wish I knew before I gave it up.
I'm not complaining.

I do the $200 Ambassador renewal. So point-wise, I get the 15K point bonus for doing so, 10% point rebate on award redemptions, and the 50% base point bonus plus the 500 "welcome" points per stay for being Platinum (which I wouldn't get otherwise). Doing the math on all of these cumulative points, and placing a value of $35 per 5K points (doing the roundabout redemption method), the membership pays for itself that way. The benefits while staying at an IC and the BOGO free weekend night is just an added plus!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.