IHG Acquires Kimpton

Old Dec 15, 2014, 6:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan 75K, Bonvoy Titanium
IHG Acquires Kimpton

This sounds interesting. I wonder if they're keeping the Kimpton brand?

IHG agrees to acquire Kimpton Hotels & Restaurants to create the world's largest boutique hotel business
Old Dec 16, 2014, 1:04 am

Programs: AA Plt 3MM; UA 1K 2 MM; MR Lifetime Plat; HH Lifetime Diamond; HH Diamond; IGH Spire Ambas; SPG Gold
I think this is great for IHG members.

IHG is very low on having hotels with any character.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 1:09 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Amb, Bonvoy Plat (+LTP), VS Silver
Completely agree this is great news. Will be a nice complement to Hotel Indigo and some great locations (particularly in California and the west where IHG is lacking too many decent hotels). Seems that it will remain a separate brand run by the existing COO.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 1:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Are we sure these hotels will join the IHG rewards program?
Old Dec 16, 2014, 4:23 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by stimpy
They haven't said anything yet, but are there any IHG hotel brands that don't allow IHG rewards at all the hotels under a given brand? IC hotels Ambassador program may be canned at some point; and even if it weren't eliminated, I doubt that IHG is going to want to have Priority Club/Rewards, the Ambassador program and a Kimpton program.

I am pretty sure we'll see these hotels join the IHG rewards program, but I'm just guessing like I guessed earlier yesterday that it would be IHG buying Kimpton.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 5:27 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by travelexpert
I think this is great for IHG members.

IHG is very low on having hotels with any character.
Why? People chose hotel over the reasons of value, convenience, price, location, service and brand loyalty. Only a tiny small fraction of people chose hotel over character.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 5:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I like a hotels character, and thankfully many IC's have that. I think the poster was referring to the low end properties in the chain such as HIX. That said, I've even stayed at some HIX's that weren't purpose built that had a little character of their own. And of course there are several Indigo hotels that already fit this bill.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 6:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Excellent news!

Even if some Indigo hotels are pretty nice, I think that they are not exactly boutique hotels per se (ie: trendy, stylish and not only small by size).

Kimpton hotels may be more really boutique hotels (even if we are far from Hyatt's Andaz or Marriott's Edition.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 7:33 am
Suspended

Big, big, big news!

IHG will of course integrate them into IHG rewards since they want to grow the brand overseas. I expect integration probably mid to late 2015.

Also, it fills a strategic hole for them in many US cities. What IHG brand with some cachet below an Intercontinental is there in Boston? Nothing in Philly, at all. Not much in the Phoenix area, though I will give you that SF will have many. Anything in DC other than the Intercontinental and the Crowne Hamilton -- now look at it in the downtown core and the sister city suburbs! I was wondering when DC would get an Indigo and now that issue is superfluous! Look at coverage in the business areas in Chicago and LA now!

This move fills a needed hole that IHG had which many of the other major US chains did not have for it now puts an IHG flag on an upscale footprint in many US downtown city business and leisure centers.

Last edited by NJUPINTHEAIR; Dec 16, 2014 at 7:41 am
Old Dec 16, 2014, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by chongcao
Why? People chose hotel over the reasons of value, convenience, price, location, service and brand loyalty. Only a tiny small fraction of people chose hotel over character.
Not exactly the strategic move of all international chains who need to attract new GenY customers with lifestyle brands (W with Starwood, Mama Shelter and Sofitel So with Accor, Andaz with Hyatt, Edition with Marriott, etc.).

This is not a niche segment anymore as this generation of customers is expected to represent 40% of customers in the next 5 years.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
This would be great news for me on the earning side if the Kimpton properties were just a touch cheaper for work. They're about 20% too high right now in most cases, because I often don't need the great locations which Kimpton typically selects.

But for redemption... if they can put some of the smaller Kimptons at 40k, I'll be thrilled.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 8:00 am

Programs: Alaska & Hyatt
I spent my first night as a married man in a Kimpton hotel.

The Alexis Seattle.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 8:44 am

Programs: UA 1K; Hilton: Diamond;Kimpton: ?? ; Omni: Black; Avis: First; Hertz: Five Star
As a Kimpton user (albeit my second or third choice most of the time) I like this as it makes ICG more attractive to me as my alternative chain. I like the Kimpton brand as it means unique properties with very guest oriented service. Adding the expanse of the ICG properties makes them a better shot at being my go to (after Hilton).
Old Dec 16, 2014, 8:48 am

Programs: UA 1K; Hilton: Diamond;Kimpton: ?? ; Omni: Black; Avis: First; Hertz: Five Star
Originally Posted by stimpy
The email that Kimpton sent me about their Karma program says that nothing is changing yet to that program but they indicate that changes will occur and that they will ensure they respect the value of my loyalty and accumulated Karma awards.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 2:50 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by NJUPINTHEAIR
This move fills a needed hole that IHG had which many of the other major US chains did not have for it now puts an IHG flag on an upscale footprint in many US downtown city business and leisure centers.
I agree, this is a great move by IHG to increase its presence in the business hotel market in major cities.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.