FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sarahluv
Crowne Plaza London King's Cross

1 King's Cross Rd,
London WC1X 9HX, United Kingdom

direct link to hotel:
https://www.ihg.com/crowneplaza/hotels/gb/en/london/lonkc/hoteldetail

Next tube / subway station
King's Cross / St. Pancras served by the Circle Line, Piccadilly Line, Hammersmith & City Line, Metropolitan Line, Northern Line and Victoria Line

The hotel was rebranded from a Holiday Inn in late 2016 / early 2017 (see this thread about Holiday Inn London Kings Cross.

Hotel offers a pool, sauna and steam room and gym. (Ł3.50 per day charge for guests)

Club Lounge available, but no reports about upgrades for Spire Members so far. Edit: Gold member upgraded to club room with access on 3rd Nov 2017

There are no upgrade provided on award stays to club lounge

Close to Holiday Inn London Bloomsbury.
Print Wikipost

Crowne Plaza London Kings Cross Master Thread

Old Apr 15, 2017, 9:31 am

Programs: Etihad Gold, IHG Platinum, SPG Gold
Stayed there in February 2 nights before the changeover.
As platinum got offered the usual points or free drink. Told we had got an upgrade, the room was long and narrow not enough space for 2 adults and a teen.
But the best bit wa being told that as Platinum we had a free minibar in the room, total contents? A bottle of orange juice a bottle of water and a chocolate bar!
We were not allowed to take the 16 year old into the bar area, and finally the on site restaurant Belgo was serving what appeared to be frozen chips!
We will not stay there again it is not a patch on CP the City,
Old Apr 27, 2017, 6:10 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Rewards Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by nikkiw60
Stayed there in February 2 nights before the changeover.
As platinum got offered the usual points or free drink. Told we had got an upgrade, the room was long and narrow not enough space for 2 adults and a teen.
But the best bit wa being told that as Platinum we had a free minibar in the room, total contents? A bottle of orange juice a bottle of water and a chocolate bar!
We were not allowed to take the 16 year old into the bar area, and finally the on site restaurant Belgo was serving what appeared to be frozen chips!
We will not stay there again it is not a patch on CP the City,
Don't most restaurants use "pre-cut" chips? I seem to remember a story about a Conran restaurant serving them a few years ago...

The service in Belgo is a bit ropey - assume it is a staff training issue due to recent opening. I haven't been to an original Belgo for a while but I didn't think the food offerings were too bad - though for some reason they don't seem to be able to make a decent coffee in the CP one (and serve it in the hideous cups the hotel uses at breakfast time).
Old May 3, 2017, 1:18 pm

My experience on a one night reward booking (35,000 points - Spire member).

Check in was fine, maybe a 5 minute queue. The person checking me in made a point to tell me that they don't upgrade Reward bookings or provide breakfast (I didn't ask about either of these). Was offered advance purchase breakfast at Ł14.95 instead of Ł17.95, which I declined.

I did get a drinks voucher. I was a given an old one - a gold voucher for the Holiday Inn (no real difference, although the Spire version in the UK usually includes a snack as well). Decent range of beers in the bar, so the voucher is worth it, particularly considering London price.

The room, even without being upgraded, was relatively large London standards. Good view into the local gardens, opposite flats and a trampoline. One bottle of still water in the room. Was surprised that there was no bathrobe or slippers - for some reason I'd assumed they were standard in Crowne Plazas (this is probably the first time in years I've not been upgraded or given lounge access).

The TV also claimed there was no one checked into the room, so they didn't bother setting the entertainment package etc up (could access the free TV channels).

Still, perfectly adequate for a one-night stay, based on the points value (particularly for a weeknight in London).

There isn't much in the local area (some takeaways and corner shops, but mostly industry and flats). You're generally looking at a 15 minute walk to get somewhere reasonable. 30 minute walk to the West End. The tube isn't all that close, so in a lot of cases you're better off walking. Of course, taxis and Uber are around too.

I would go back on points. As a late booking, this was good value. The cash prices didn't look worthwhile to me, but I guess these rates vary a lot.
Old May 4, 2017, 2:41 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, HH Diamond, Radisson Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold, Shangri La Jade
some of the best restaurants in London are a five min walk away at Exmouth market
Old Nov 3, 2017, 7:40 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, HH Diamond, Radisson Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold, Shangri La Jade
Updated the wiki a little. I'm only Gold, but I somehow scored an upgrade to a club room with access to the lounge. The lounge appears to have no refreshments available at all outside of breakfast and the evening "pre dinner" period of 5pm-7pm.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 11:47 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Rewards Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by sarahluv
Updated the wiki a little. I'm only Gold, but I somehow scored an upgrade to a club room with access to the lounge. The lounge appears to have no refreshments available at all outside of breakfast and the evening "pre dinner" period of 5pm-7pm.
And it's all downhill from there. The lounge is never that busy - more than half the available seats are currently unoccupied (I stay here a lot...). They offer no service between breakfast and happy hour, but when I came in almost 40 minutes into service last night they still didn't have stuff out. They've cut back on the few food offerings they used to have - presumably justified by the fact they weren't being eaten. The stuff they have on offer is a bit of a joke. But why would they be eaten when hardly anyone gets access to the lounge due to their weird policy of not giving Exec Rooms access. I've been trying to work in the lounge during the day (enjoying whatever is left of the bottle of water they put out at breakfast time but don't bother replenishing...) on more than one occasion because they use it for events. And staff appraisals. And interviews. They also have tiny glasses for wine - 1st world problem but annoying. If you want anything stronger then you have to know to ask (they occasionally put out menus - but somedays they don't appear at all) but that only works if the lounge is staffed. There hasn't been a member of staff here for over half an hour at least. This hotel should be really good, but the cheapness of the management and poor staff training mean it isn't.

Last edited by seat1C; Sep 12, 2018 at 11:39 am Reason: Correcting schoolboy error...
Old Nov 26, 2021, 8:35 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Any recent stays? Thanks!
Old Nov 29, 2021, 10:55 am

Programs: BA Blue, IC Diamond Ambassador, Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Gold, Hilton Gold
Hi, I stayed here just over a week ago. I was told I was upgraded from a Standard Room to an Executive Room, though trying to look online I'm not sure the difference. I was also offered an extra free drink voucher as I was staying during my birthday weekend (I was burning my 40k points ambassador free night certificate).

Staff were very friendly, free drinks were a rather potent fruit beer or house wine.

Whilst not super close to a specific tube station it was a relatively short walk to Kings Cross and a rather pleasant walk to Angel or Russel Square.

We didn't have breakfast but if you are after coffee and pastries the excellent Aux Pains du Papy is not far away at all. I'll post a couple of pics when I get the chance.
chrism20 and Adam1222 like this.
Old May 5, 2022, 1:31 pm

Programs: Ihg diamond ambassador hilton gold
Been staying here a couple of times over the last couple of weeks with work based in Moorgate. It's a bed for the night. Just not sure why, but I just find it a really depressing place.
​​
Old Jun 25, 2023, 10:27 am

Programs: AA PLAT 2MM, MR TITANIUM 2M, HH DIA, Hyatt EXP, BW DIA, IC AMB, IHG PLAT, UA GLD
Any recent reports? (I am diamond ambassador)
Best transit via tube to Heathrow?
Old Jun 25, 2023, 3:32 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Plat, M&M FTL, BA Blue, QR Gold
Originally Posted by fmkgb
Best transit via tube to Heathrow?
Elizabeth Line to Farringdon and walk (or Bus #63) up King's Cross road. Faster, roomier, and with a/c.
Old Jun 26, 2023, 9:00 am

Programs: AA PLAT 2MM, MR TITANIUM 2M, HH DIA, Hyatt EXP, BW DIA, IC AMB, IHG PLAT, UA GLD
Originally Posted by tom tulpe
Elizabeth Line to Farringdon and walk (or Bus #63) up King's Cross road. Faster, roomier, and with a/c.
Thanks.
Anyone know if hotel provides a hot water kettle in all the rooms?
Old Jul 10, 2023, 12:55 pm

Anyone know if Farringdon station has elevator/escalator for luggage to Lhr? Russel sq station has stairs part way.

also any recommendations for great pub near crown plaza?
Old Jul 11, 2023, 11:48 am

Programs: Ihg diamond ambassador hilton gold
Originally Posted by fmkgb
Anyone know if Farringdon station has elevator/escalator for luggage to Lhr? Russel sq station has stairs part way.

also any recommendations for great pub near crown plaza?
This station has step-free access to all platforms including level boarding to Thameslink trains from Zone C on both platforms.

Just to note it's a good ten minutes walk from Farringdon up to the CP.

In terms of pubs, there are lots a short walk from the hotel in a trendy area. Turn left once you pass the Post Office building.
Old Jul 12, 2023, 1:51 am

Originally Posted by tom tulpe
note,, taking Elizabeth line to Heathrow costs 13.30 pounds versus 5.60 pounds via Piccadilly. At least according to journey planner. Saves 10-15 minutes.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.