FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   InterContinental Hotels | IHG Rewards Club and Intercontinental Ambassador (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-rewards-club-intercontinental-ambassador-426/)
-   -   Holiday Inn Bangkok Sukhumvit (Master Thread) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-rewards-club-intercontinental-ambassador/1633222-holiday-inn-bangkok-sukhumvit-master-thread.html)

Morrissey Dec 1, 14 7:48 pm

Holiday Inn Bangkok Sukhumvit (Master Thread)
 
Has anyone in this forum ever stayed at this hotel? Despite my best search efforts, I was unable to find any specific posts about staying here. As a Platinum, I was wondering about what sort of treatment I might get, so I sent an e-mail to the hotel. First they responded:

Please be informed that for IHG Rewards Club Platinum members benefits in our hotel is

- Daily Newspaper

- Platinum Amenity

- Room Upgrade to next category

- Late Check-Out 4 pm. (subject to room availability)
As they have "Deluxe" and "Premier" rooms below Executive level, I then asked if I would need to book a Premier room to get upgraded to Executive (I care more about the lounge access than the room upgrade anyway). They then responded:

Please be informed that we do provide Executive Lounge Access for all IHG Rewards Club Platinum Members with any room types reserved.
As I am planning to stay for a week, I would love to know if this is really the case or not. I won't bother booking a Premier room if I don't have to, but I would hate to book the Deluxe room only to have them tell me that I must have "misunderstood" their lounge access policy.

kevino Dec 2, 14 1:12 am

I have stayed there 4 times, but last year. The responses you received are surprising to me as before Plats. never even got a free bf. I did pay for an exec. corner room on NYE last year with lounge access. Lounge access for plats. is great, if it's true. :) Good luck.

whimike Dec 2, 14 1:19 am

I stayed there last month for a night. I booked the base room and was upgraded to a corner room. If lounge access was included I wasn't made aware of it, as I didn't know, until reading this thread, that the hotel even had a lounge.

Morrissey Dec 2, 14 12:54 pm

Hmmm...that doesn't sound very encouraging!

Alawyer Dec 3, 14 12:19 am

When is your intended stay? I just booked a Premier room over the Christmas holidays and should be able to provide a full report.

Btw is everyone loving the VIP treatment we are getting in Bangkok? The CP Lumpini is another one that is reported to also give lounge/upgrades to Platinum members as well.

Morrissey Dec 3, 14 8:23 am


Originally Posted by Alawyer (Post 23933967)
When is your intended stay? I just booked a Premier room over the Christmas holidays and should be able to provide a full report.

Btw is everyone loving the VIP treatment we are getting in Bangkok? The CP Lumpini is another one that is reported to also give lounge/upgrades to Platinum members as well.

I'm planning late February

EVA777 Dec 3, 14 6:40 pm

I stayed here before. It was a total let down. They acted like they didn't know what Platinum status was. No upgrade, no lounge, no nothing. The buffet at the restaurant was good and my daughter liked the pool.

With so many other great choices, I will never stay here again.

The new Marriott near Sukhumvit Soi 57 is nice. Great upgrade, lounge, and good pool.

BigE Dec 17, 15 7:09 am

I just spoke with the hotel on the phone. They said that platinum members get upgraded one level (deluxe to premium, or premium to executive), if available. HOWEVER, if you upgrade to executive you still don't get lounge access (just the room). Maybe that's normal for HI (is it?), but it seems unreasonable given that the lounge access is part of the executive room description. They said you need to pay 800 baht/day if you want to lounge access, or book an executive room. So, they don't have away anything beyond what's required according to IHG policy, and maybe not even though (upgrade to executive room, but stripping away lounge access). If anyone experiences something different, please update us.

This person asked for our account info, which seemed unnecessary. Before I was transferred to that person, another staff member said that returning guests can get upgraded to lounge access. We were returning guests, but one night only. Maybe she looked it up and knew that it wasn't "enough". But she didn't mention any policies or criteria.

The Crowne Plaza, meanwhile, gave us lounge access despite booking with points (pointbreak, even) in the lowest room category. Plus we were able to eat breakfast downstairs, which was quite good.

BigE Dec 17, 15 7:29 am

I just saw this on tripadvisor from 6 days ago: "If you happen to be a Platinum or Spire, you get a room upgrade AND the use of the lounge all day and more importantly between 6 and 8 where there are some great food and free drinks."

And from 1 week ago: 'Platinum member and recieved upgrade to a suite, exec. lounge access and a nice box of coconut biscuits"

From a few months ago: "I'm Platinum Elite remember? I just booked a regular room and was then upgraded to the executive level which comes with all the perks including breakfast. "

Go figure. Maybe it's haphazard, or maybe they changed their policy a few days ago, or I spoke to somebody who doesn't know.

buddahas Dec 31, 15 1:34 am

I stayed here 7-8 times in the past 2 years. I am a platinum elite. Every single time I received a lounge access and buffet breakfast by booking the cheapest room.

nvoi Dec 31, 15 2:27 am


Originally Posted by BigE (Post 25878761)
I just saw this on tripadvisor from 6 days ago: "If you happen to be a Platinum or Spire, you get a room upgrade AND the use of the lounge all day and more importantly between 6 and 8 where there are some great food and free drinks."

And from 1 week ago: 'Platinum member and recieved upgrade to a suite, exec. lounge access and a nice box of coconut biscuits"

From a few months ago: "I'm Platinum Elite remember? I just booked a regular room and was then upgraded to the executive level which comes with all the perks including breakfast. "

Go figure. Maybe it's haphazard, or maybe they changed their policy a few days ago, or I spoke to somebody who doesn't know.

Interesting - need to stay with them again, have NEVER received an upgrade with them in the past two years, staying about 5 - 8 times per year at this property.

buddahas Dec 31, 15 3:01 am

Hi,

Just to be clear, we are talking the new black building near Terminal 21, right? They even provide a list of platinum benefits in this hotel. It is standard.

nvoi Dec 31, 15 9:59 am


Originally Posted by buddahas (Post 25939455)
Hi,

Just to be clear, we are talking the new black building near Terminal 21, right? They even provide a list of platinum benefits in this hotel. It is standard.

Yes, that's the one I was referring to - more near to emporium, though ;)

demue Jan 1, 16 2:45 am

Okay, I only had one night stay here (8hrs to be exact) and was on a corp rate. I arrived around 23:30 and was upgraded to a suite from a standard room. The suite had separate living and bed rooms, a walk-in closet type and a pretty big bathroom with separate tub and shower (all done in some matt black stone). Nice, but no executive lounge access given (not that I would have been able to use it).

Overall pretty nice and not too bad a location (actually thought it was Soi 23, but splitting hairs). Terminal 21 nearby is good for food and so.

nvoi Jan 6, 16 1:28 am


Originally Posted by demue (Post 25944558)
Okay, I only had one night stay here (8hrs to be exact) and was on a corp rate. I arrived around 23:30 and was upgraded to a suite from a standard room. The suite had separate living and bed rooms, a walk-in closet type and a pretty big bathroom with separate tub and shower (all done in some matt black stone). Nice, but no executive lounge access given (not that I would have been able to use it).

Overall pretty nice and not too bad a location (actually thought it was Soi 23, but splitting hairs). Terminal 21 nearby is good for food and so.

Due to the comments here I booked yet again. I booked deluxe room on corporate rate for a night, got a premier room and cookies without a note in the room. As my corp rate is identical at indigo, will definitely continue to stay there and not return here, except the corp rate is not available.

demue Jan 6, 16 8:42 am

If your corp rate is the same at Indigo then definitely stay there. Our rate is over 1k THB lower at HI and that night (Chinese New Year) Bangkok was super booked out and this HI was only one with rooms on a corp rate.

Alawyer Jan 6, 16 9:20 pm

The big problem with this hotel now is that the pool is always in the shade. I never thought I would need a wetsuit for Bangkok

rebadc Jan 7, 16 12:01 am


Originally Posted by Alawyer (Post 25975719)
The big problem with this hotel now is that the pool is always in the shade. I never thought I would need a wetsuit for Bangkok

The pool is also in full view of anyone eating in the restaurant.

Eskimoboy Jan 7, 16 9:22 am


Originally Posted by Alawyer (Post 25975719)
The big problem with this hotel now is that the pool is always in the shade. I never thought I would need a wetsuit for Bangkok

Yes it's by far the coldest pool I've ever been in, it gets no sun at all, hypothermia is a risk if you spend too long in there!

BigE Jan 9, 16 9:24 am

Just stayed here. No upgrade to club lounge as plat (or bkfst), but did get a double room upgrade and a box of coconut rolls. I like the location, even if it is in-between two skytrain stations that are spaced far apart. The comments about the pool were right on - it's a very nice pool for this level of hotel (super-long, large day beds, not crowded), but the water was very cold. I almost didn't go in, but it was ok after a few seconds of terror.

rebadc Jan 10, 16 12:18 am


Originally Posted by BigE (Post 25989933)
Just stayed here. No upgrade to club lounge as plat (or bkfst), but did get a double room upgrade and a box of coconut rolls. I like the location, even if it is in-between two skytrain stations that are spaced far apart. The comments about the pool were right on - it's a very nice pool for this level of hotel (super-long, large day beds, not crowded), but the water was very cold. I almost didn't go in, but it was ok after a few seconds of terror.

Are you saying as a Plat you did not receive bkfst in the lounge or restaurant?
Does not sound right.

nvoi Jan 10, 16 2:12 am


Originally Posted by rebadc (Post 25993001)
Are you saying as a Plat you did not receive bkfst in the lounge or restaurant?
Does not sound right.

BigE's experience matches mine - one room type upgrade, coconut rolls without note, that's it.

dsquared37 Jun 22, 16 10:06 pm


Originally Posted by nvoi (Post 25993180)
BigE's experience matches mine - one room type upgrade, coconut rolls without note, that's it.

This is exactly what I got last month as a Plat.

nvoi Jun 22, 16 11:44 pm

Actually am spire ambassador - stayed there again and this time got nothing :/ the other properties really offer more but location and price are selling points for me.

hockeystl Jun 30, 16 11:46 am

These reports of elite treatment are all over the place. Gonna roll the dice and hope for lounge access and an upgrade next week. I'll report back on my success/failure!

scubaccr Jul 2, 16 4:29 am


Originally Posted by hockeystl (Post 26853128)
These reports of elite treatment are all over the place. Gonna roll the dice and hope for lounge access and an upgrade next week. I'll report back on my success/failure!

I stayed a night in Feb2016, but booked room whilst in reception asking what upgrade I'd get for different room categories.

Told 1-cat upgrade on lower cat room BUT booking 1-cat below Exec with Lounge access will not upgrade to include Lounge access.

So sweet spot was book room cat 2-levels below exec and get 1-cat upgade for me. I was happy with my room, good size+condition, the hotel is only 3year old.

denkigroove Dec 20, 16 7:55 am

How is the breakfast choice there?

Sisyphus1carus Nov 6, 17 9:32 am

It is very disappointing that Plats don't get lounge access here. The times I've been (and booked suite with lounge access) its nearly always empty or only one or 2 people in it and the staff look bored ! They could do with a few more people being given access.

And yes, the pool is arctic temperatures !
It is good sport to watch people go out there for a swim, dip a leg in and run off never to be seen out there again !!


Weighing up a stay here next week but probably won't bother purely on the basis of not getting lounge access as a Plat. and there are better hotels for the money. Plat access to the lounge might have swung it for me & I expect many others who eventually go elsewhere.

scubaccr Nov 6, 17 3:01 pm


Originally Posted by Sisyphus1carus (Post 29025794)
It is very disappointing that Plats don't get lounge access here. The times I've been (and booked suite with lounge access) its nearly always empty or only one or 2 people in it and the staff look bored ! They could do with a few more people being given access.

And yes, the pool is arctic temperatures !
It is good sport to watch people go out there for a swim, dip a leg in and run off never to be seen out there again !!


Weighing up a stay here next week but probably won't bother purely on the basis of not getting lounge access as a Plat. and there are better hotels for the money. Plat access to the lounge might have swung it for me & I expect many others who eventually go elsewhere.

Yes per standard IHG t+c's Lounge access is not a benefit for as IHG Elites , Spire or Platinum level

I moved a poor Hilton Sukhumvit night here (I saw allocated Hilton room, rejected it and walked as had cancel upto 4pm to on day flex). As such I booked my night whilst standing in reception after checking on Spire treatment first.

As I expected no lounge foc, even if book 1-cat below, then upgrade w/o lounge access happens (or no upgrade) , so I booked 2cats below a club room.

The 2x Bangkok IHG hotels that previously gave Spire (and if lucky Plats) lounge access, CP and Indigo stopped foc lounge acces.

HI Silom , post July2016 trial, now gives Spires (not Plats) lounge/club access if booking 1cat below a club room, quite a nice lounge as it goes.

SLGO Nov 24, 17 11:37 pm

Understanding there is no lounge access for room upgrade via status, I have booked an executive room with lounge access. Any chance that I can get further room upgrade? Will share after staying in Feb.

rbAA Nov 25, 17 6:14 pm


Originally Posted by scubaccr (Post 29027543)
HI Silom , post July2016 trial, now gives Spires (not Plats) lounge/club access if booking 1cat below a club room, quite a nice lounge as it goes.

Silom has one of the better lounges, I think it's much better than the more expensive Westin on Sukhumvit, as the F+B selection is good at Silom and just so-so at the Westin. Careful booking one cat down and expecting no fight about lounge access though as they also have their unpublished room categories they trot out to avoid giving lounge access. If you call them on it, they will always do the "make an exception this time" explanation, especially if you checkin at the lounge.

sleuth Nov 26, 17 10:32 am


Originally Posted by scubaccr (Post 29027543)
Yes per standard IHG t+c's Lounge access is not a benefit for as IHG Elites , Spire or Platinum level

I moved a poor Hilton Sukhumvit night here (I saw allocated Hilton room, rejected it and walked as had cancel upto 4pm to on day flex). As such I booked my night whilst standing in reception after checking on Spire treatment first.

As I expected no lounge foc, even if book 1-cat below, then upgrade w/o lounge access happens (or no upgrade) , so I booked 2cats below a club room.

The 2x Bangkok IHG hotels that previously gave Spire (and if lucky Plats) lounge access, CP and Indigo stopped foc lounge acces.

HI Silom , post July2016 trial, now gives Spires (not Plats) lounge/club access if booking 1cat below a club room, quite a nice lounge as it goes.


Hotel Indigo in Bangkok has a club lounge?

cln Nov 26, 17 12:03 pm


Originally Posted by rbAA (Post 29099783)
Silom has one of the better lounges, I think it's much better than the more expensive Westin on Sukhumvit, as the F+B selection is good at Silom and just so-so at the Westin. Careful booking one cat down and expecting no fight about lounge access though as they also have their unpublished room categories they trot out to avoid giving lounge access. If you call them on it, they will always do the "make an exception this time" explanation, especially if you checkin at the lounge.

i have never been to Holiday Inn Silom but i have seen most 5 Star Lounges in Bangkok and the one at the Westin is one of the best in Bangkok.... It's maybe not the largest spacewise but they have a selection of imported premium cheese. They also have a soup and 2/3 hot dishes and high quality breadrolls, antipasti, etc not to talk about the deserts.. The lounge has no cocktails but foodwise i consider the best.
I am surprised to hear what HI Siloms lounge has to offer as i considered a stay there to complete an accelerate task :)

rbAA Nov 26, 17 4:17 pm


Originally Posted by cln (Post 29101769)
The lounge has no cocktails but foodwise i consider the best. :)

I remember having cocktails at the Westin lounge: Johnney Walker Red and a cheap gin vs JW Black and Bombay Sapphire gin at the HI Silom. Maybe it's changed in the past year. While it's not the IC BKK lounge offerings, but it's pretty good for the price you're paying.

broadwayboy Nov 26, 17 5:18 pm

Is breakfast served in the main restaurant or lounge for those who book Exec Room?

cln Dec 4, 17 4:57 pm


Originally Posted by rbAA (Post 29102483)
I remember having cocktails at the Westin lounge: Johnney Walker Red and a cheap gin vs JW Black and Bombay Sapphire gin at the HI Silom. Maybe it's changed in the past year. While it's not the IC BKK lounge offerings, but it's pretty good for the price you're paying.

i meant real cocktails like Tequila Sunrise, etc yeah they have some hard liquor

robnc35 Mar 26, 19 6:16 am

Has anyone stayed here recently? I'm Spire Ambassador. Im guessing Spire's do not get lounge but i was thinking of just getting a club room. Is the hotel and lounge any good?

thanks

rebadc Mar 27, 19 9:45 am


Originally Posted by robnc35 (Post 30930877)
Has anyone stayed here recently? I'm Spire Ambassador. Im guessing Spire's do not get lounge but i was thinking of just getting a club room. Is the hotel and lounge any good?

thanks

Stayed here last year and was given lounge access as a Spire.
email them and ask.

robnc35 Mar 27, 19 9:38 pm

Thanks Rebabc

robnc35 Mar 28, 19 6:14 am

emailed them. They gave me a link to buy club room lol. Was not expecting anything anyway.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 5:06 am.


This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.