FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-one-rewards-intercontinental-ambassador-426/)
-   -   Holiday Inn Bangkok Sukhumvit (Master Thread) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-one-rewards-intercontinental-ambassador/1633222-holiday-inn-bangkok-sukhumvit-master-thread.html)

Morrissey Dec 1, 2014 7:48 pm

Holiday Inn Bangkok Sukhumvit (Master Thread)

Has anyone in this forum ever stayed at this hotel? Despite my best search efforts, I was unable to find any specific posts about staying here. As a Platinum, I was wondering about what sort of treatment I might get, so I sent an e-mail to the hotel. First they responded:

Please be informed that for IHG Rewards Club Platinum members benefits in our hotel is

- Daily Newspaper

- Platinum Amenity

- Room Upgrade to next category

- Late Check-Out 4 pm. (subject to room availability)
As they have "Deluxe" and "Premier" rooms below Executive level, I then asked if I would need to book a Premier room to get upgraded to Executive (I care more about the lounge access than the room upgrade anyway). They then responded:

Please be informed that we do provide Executive Lounge Access for all IHG Rewards Club Platinum Members with any room types reserved.
As I am planning to stay for a week, I would love to know if this is really the case or not. I won't bother booking a Premier room if I don't have to, but I would hate to book the Deluxe room only to have them tell me that I must have "misunderstood" their lounge access policy.

kevino Dec 2, 2014 1:12 am

I have stayed there 4 times, but last year. The responses you received are surprising to me as before Plats. never even got a free bf. I did pay for an exec. corner room on NYE last year with lounge access. Lounge access for plats. is great, if it's true. :) Good luck.

whimike Dec 2, 2014 1:19 am

I stayed there last month for a night. I booked the base room and was upgraded to a corner room. If lounge access was included I wasn't made aware of it, as I didn't know, until reading this thread, that the hotel even had a lounge.

Morrissey Dec 2, 2014 12:54 pm

Hmmm...that doesn't sound very encouraging!

Alawyer Dec 3, 2014 12:19 am

When is your intended stay? I just booked a Premier room over the Christmas holidays and should be able to provide a full report.

Btw is everyone loving the VIP treatment we are getting in Bangkok? The CP Lumpini is another one that is reported to also give lounge/upgrades to Platinum members as well.

Morrissey Dec 3, 2014 8:23 am

Originally Posted by Alawyer (Post 23933967)
When is your intended stay? I just booked a Premier room over the Christmas holidays and should be able to provide a full report.

Btw is everyone loving the VIP treatment we are getting in Bangkok? The CP Lumpini is another one that is reported to also give lounge/upgrades to Platinum members as well.

I'm planning late February

EVA777 Dec 3, 2014 6:40 pm

I stayed here before. It was a total let down. They acted like they didn't know what Platinum status was. No upgrade, no lounge, no nothing. The buffet at the restaurant was good and my daughter liked the pool.

With so many other great choices, I will never stay here again.

The new Marriott near Sukhumvit Soi 57 is nice. Great upgrade, lounge, and good pool.

BigE Dec 17, 2015 7:09 am

I just spoke with the hotel on the phone. They said that platinum members get upgraded one level (deluxe to premium, or premium to executive), if available. HOWEVER, if you upgrade to executive you still don't get lounge access (just the room). Maybe that's normal for HI (is it?), but it seems unreasonable given that the lounge access is part of the executive room description. They said you need to pay 800 baht/day if you want to lounge access, or book an executive room. So, they don't have away anything beyond what's required according to IHG policy, and maybe not even though (upgrade to executive room, but stripping away lounge access). If anyone experiences something different, please update us.

This person asked for our account info, which seemed unnecessary. Before I was transferred to that person, another staff member said that returning guests can get upgraded to lounge access. We were returning guests, but one night only. Maybe she looked it up and knew that it wasn't "enough". But she didn't mention any policies or criteria.

The Crowne Plaza, meanwhile, gave us lounge access despite booking with points (pointbreak, even) in the lowest room category. Plus we were able to eat breakfast downstairs, which was quite good.

BigE Dec 17, 2015 7:29 am

I just saw this on tripadvisor from 6 days ago: "If you happen to be a Platinum or Spire, you get a room upgrade AND the use of the lounge all day and more importantly between 6 and 8 where there are some great food and free drinks."

And from 1 week ago: 'Platinum member and recieved upgrade to a suite, exec. lounge access and a nice box of coconut biscuits"

From a few months ago: "I'm Platinum Elite remember? I just booked a regular room and was then upgraded to the executive level which comes with all the perks including breakfast. "

Go figure. Maybe it's haphazard, or maybe they changed their policy a few days ago, or I spoke to somebody who doesn't know.

buddahas Dec 31, 2015 1:34 am

I stayed here 7-8 times in the past 2 years. I am a platinum elite. Every single time I received a lounge access and buffet breakfast by booking the cheapest room.

nvoi Dec 31, 2015 2:27 am

Originally Posted by BigE (Post 25878761)
I just saw this on tripadvisor from 6 days ago: "If you happen to be a Platinum or Spire, you get a room upgrade AND the use of the lounge all day and more importantly between 6 and 8 where there are some great food and free drinks."

And from 1 week ago: 'Platinum member and recieved upgrade to a suite, exec. lounge access and a nice box of coconut biscuits"

From a few months ago: "I'm Platinum Elite remember? I just booked a regular room and was then upgraded to the executive level which comes with all the perks including breakfast. "

Go figure. Maybe it's haphazard, or maybe they changed their policy a few days ago, or I spoke to somebody who doesn't know.

Interesting - need to stay with them again, have NEVER received an upgrade with them in the past two years, staying about 5 - 8 times per year at this property.

buddahas Dec 31, 2015 3:01 am

Hi,

Just to be clear, we are talking the new black building near Terminal 21, right? They even provide a list of platinum benefits in this hotel. It is standard.

nvoi Dec 31, 2015 9:59 am

Originally Posted by buddahas (Post 25939455)
Hi,

Just to be clear, we are talking the new black building near Terminal 21, right? They even provide a list of platinum benefits in this hotel. It is standard.

Yes, that's the one I was referring to - more near to emporium, though ;)

demue Jan 1, 2016 2:45 am

Okay, I only had one night stay here (8hrs to be exact) and was on a corp rate. I arrived around 23:30 and was upgraded to a suite from a standard room. The suite had separate living and bed rooms, a walk-in closet type and a pretty big bathroom with separate tub and shower (all done in some matt black stone). Nice, but no executive lounge access given (not that I would have been able to use it).

Overall pretty nice and not too bad a location (actually thought it was Soi 23, but splitting hairs). Terminal 21 nearby is good for food and so.

nvoi Jan 6, 2016 1:28 am

Originally Posted by demue (Post 25944558)
Okay, I only had one night stay here (8hrs to be exact) and was on a corp rate. I arrived around 23:30 and was upgraded to a suite from a standard room. The suite had separate living and bed rooms, a walk-in closet type and a pretty big bathroom with separate tub and shower (all done in some matt black stone). Nice, but no executive lounge access given (not that I would have been able to use it).

Overall pretty nice and not too bad a location (actually thought it was Soi 23, but splitting hairs). Terminal 21 nearby is good for food and so.

Due to the comments here I booked yet again. I booked deluxe room on corporate rate for a night, got a premier room and cookies without a note in the room. As my corp rate is identical at indigo, will definitely continue to stay there and not return here, except the corp rate is not available.