Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Intercontinental Double Bay Sydney (Master Thread)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2014, 8:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: *A Gold, HH dia,Hyatt plat,Sixt PLAT,QF , EY Gold
Intercontinental Double Bay Sydney (Master Thread)

I have a stay coming up next month and really looking forward to it. I should be able to report back and put up some photos. Im really interested in the club lounge there since Sydney is so wow wow.

I thought i saw the redemptions at 30k a while back but now it showing me as 50k maybe i was wrong. Also looks like only a two night min over NYE which sydney is three.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 12:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inter...-opening.html?
Old Nov 6, 2014, 6:36 am

Programs: VA, SQ, IHG, HH,ALL, Europcar
Grand Opening occured today November 6.

Looking forward to trying out what looks like a great property.

The location is excellent for atmostphere
Old Mar 7, 2015, 11:21 pm

Programs: IHG Ambassador, Air NZ lowly Jade now, Emirates
Anyone stayed and want to report back?
Old Mar 17, 2015, 6:20 am

Programs: VA Platinum, QF Lifetime silver (ex plat :(), Accor Gold, IHG Ambassador, PC Platinum, Starwood Gold
we loved it, have given feedback on another thread so you might want to run a search..
Old Nov 4, 2015, 11:32 pm

My wife and I stayed there for our anniversary last weekend. I have to say I was underwhelmed. The decor is "nice" but it has obviously been done on a budget.

Anyone familiar with the hotel in its previous life as a Ritz-Carton will instantly recognise the signature 1980s RC wood panelling has been simply painted over in white to give it a more contemporary look. While it looks fine I was expecting a little more of a change, especially considering the years it sat derelict after it closed.

I believe the original plans were to demolish the building and build an apartment tower but they were knocked-back. Hence I suppose the current situation is a second best option for the owners and they didn't want to spend too much.

We also experienced a few issues with the service during our stay. It's certainly not a bad property, but not an exceptional one either.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
This is an excellent addition to the brand. Great RA treatment as I'm guessing this hotel doesn't see many RA's. At least not in the winter. But the weather is perfect, the beach is steps away, and an upgrade to an Executive Bay View Suite makes it even better. And full size bottles of Perrier-Jouët Grand Brut in the mini-bar is the icing on the cake.

Sitting on the terrace and watching the bay is wonderful. I've seen a sea-plane take off and land, and huge battleship (probably decommissioned) steaming out to sea. And gosh this is a wealthy area. Think Brentwood if it were on the sea.

Style-wise, this appears to match the new renovations at the IC Park Lane London. Clean and bright, but not exciting or unique.

The Club is nice with great service and lots to drink. But limited on happy hour food. The Club breakfast is about the same as in the restaurant, using the same kitchen. Eggs cooked to order and done very nicely.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 5:13 am

I have stayed here twice recently as a Platinum Ambassador.

On both occasions, my status was not acknowledged, I did not get a room upgrade, and I received no other benefits (welcome gift etc).

Both followed red eye flights from Perth, so I was completely sleep deprived. On the first visit I didn't even notice the total absence of perks until I left. On the second visit I checked in at 8am, so just took the 1 room they had and said nothing in order to get some sleep asap.

On reflection I decided I would bring it to their attention as it could cause serious problems if a guest was upset about it (and I should really have said something at the time as I did pay for the Ambassador status). I emailed their feedback inbox. To my astonishment I got a 1-liner reply in broken English, "So sorry your platinum status not acknowledge. We hope to see you again."

If I was calm before that, I was not afterwards. What an utter joke. I'm done with this place.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 6:13 am

Programs: IC/AMB - Diamond Elite, AC E50K, AA, AM-Onyx, HH-Diamond, BW, Choice - Gold
Originally Posted by Marty_

On both occasions, my status was not acknowledged, I did not get a room upgrade, and I received no other benefits (welcome gift etc).

Both followed red eye flights from Perth, so I was completely sleep deprived. On the first visit I didn't even notice the total absence of perks until I left. On the second visit I checked in at 8am, so just took the 1 room they had and said nothing in order to get some sleep asap.

On reflection I decided I would bring it to their attention as it could cause serious problems if a guest was upset about it (and I should really have said something at the time as I did pay for the Ambassador status). I emailed their feedback inbox. To my astonishment I got a 1-liner reply in broken English, "So sorry your platinum status not acknowledge. We hope to see you again."

If I was calm before that, I was not afterwards. What an utter joke. I'm done with this place.
Did you book directly wth IHG (website or APP) or did you go through a third party booking site?
Old Mar 15, 2018, 6:34 am

My general rule of thumb at any hotel is to make sure all of the benefits I am entitled to are acknowledged and dealt with at check-in.
Old Mar 16, 2018, 12:17 am

Originally Posted by MXM135
Did you book directly wth IHG (website or APP) or did you go through a third party booking site?
Directly through IHG website.

Same as I always do and this is the only property where I've ever had a problem.

Originally Posted by JetAway
My general rule of thumb at any hotel is to make sure all of the benefits I am entitled to are acknowledged and dealt with at check-in.
I agree - both of these were unusual circumstances.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 3:55 am

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Marty_

Paid or points/award nights? Asking as can't complaon about no room upgrade on award nights as not an entitlement.

imo an 8am checkin foc for Ambassador (non-RA) has gotto be worth the same as an upgrade, you luckily got room at 8am instead of published 3pm, a whole 7hours extra/earlier than normal.? Thats not same as getting room at 1pm when published checkin is 3pm.

It is non unusual to be missed off fre fruit/water if you checkin that early, as the f+b team (even dedicated Amb room teams for fruits etc) won't see checkins before noon as kinda count as being the day before. Even as RA if I checkin with guaranteed RA 8am checkin, unless room is pre-prepared I won't get fruit until mybe 3pm normal time or maybe not even then.
happychic likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 6:25 am

They were paid nights. Quite expensive rates, too.

The early check-in was on the second visit, but not the first.

On both occasions they did not acknowledge my status. I don't think the upgrade and extras were sacrificed because I was early - they simply did the same thing as on the first visit and omitted it altogether.

If I go back (unlikely unless the rate is excellent), I will be proactive about it and ask what's up.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 1:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

del..
Old Sep 19, 2018, 12:15 pm

Programs: AA Exp / Marriott Titanium / Hilton Gold / Hyatt Globalist / United Silver
FYI lounge on this hotel is quite awful IMO. Staff tries to do as much as they can, but there's not much you can do when Days Inn Breakfast area looks better / bigger than executive lounge here.

Lobby bar & rooms were nice.

There was a wedding going on

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.