Community
Wiki Posts
Search

InterContinental Lisbon - Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2016, 7:06 am

Programs: United Silver and HH Diamond
I am planning to stay here for 5 nights and see the sights in Lisbon. If I book an executive room as an Ambassador, will I be upgraded to a club room? I think that would be the one-category upgrade.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 10:51 am

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by ChinaShrek
I am planning to stay here for 5 nights and see the sights in Lisbon. If I book an executive room as an Ambassador, will I be upgraded to a club room? I think that would be the one-category upgrade.
I think you really mean to ask, will you be upgraded to club room with the associated club lounge access

As per Ambassador t&c's hotel can upgrade you to a Club Room. and hotel does not need give you associated lounge access with said upgrade.
The ICs can usually say that club rooms are better in some respects than exec so room upgrade fulfills Ambassador upgrade obligations.

You need to find an Ambassador who already made the stay to see if thus IC exceeds requirements. Very few give Ambassadors free lounge accesss
Or you can email the hotel to ask
Old Mar 14, 2016, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by scubaccr
I think you really mean to ask, will you be upgraded to club room with the associated club lounge access

As per Ambassador t&c's hotel can upgrade you to a Club Room. and hotel does not need give you associated lounge access with said upgrade.
The ICs can usually say that club rooms are better in some respects than exec so room upgrade fulfills Ambassador upgrade obligations.

You need to find an Ambassador who already made the stay to see if thus IC exceeds requirements. Very few give Ambassadors free lounge accesss
That's crazy, what kind of bait and switch scheme is this? I will be cancelling hotel stay if any hotel said this...
Old Mar 14, 2016, 2:19 pm

Programs: United Silver and HH Diamond
Originally Posted by scubaccr

Yes, you are right. I want lounge access. I could also book the lowest priced room and ask how much it would cost to upgrade to lounge access when I arrive at the hotel.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 3:09 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Flying Blue (KLM) Platinum, Oneworld (BA) Sapphire, *A (Aegean) Gold, IHG Spire RA,
I had lounge access (and it's a good lounge!!) but must say i'm a Royal Ambassador. They have suites but not many, so probably more quick upgrade to Club?

The hotel is very nice. With the common areas just renovated and they are doing the rooms too (started already? or going to start? not sure). But to me the rooms can still go for some years. But renovated rooms always better.

I stayed 2 weeks ago.

if you want to see picture. see my photo report here.

enjoy your stay in Lisbon! it's a nice city.

oh, if you are int he old town and want lunch, go to Restaurante Alpendre.
when i was there only locals. on the outside it looks not so tempting for tourists maybe. but it's just 100% great. Just near the cathedral. Rua Augusta Rosa 34/4

take the meat on a hot stone!
Old Mar 27, 2016, 9:12 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Flying Blue (KLM) Platinum, Oneworld (BA) Sapphire, *A (Aegean) Gold, IHG Spire RA,
For those interested a video report:

Old Apr 16, 2016, 2:16 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I posted information on our stay at this property April 14 - 17 2016:

Originally Posted by JDiver
Intercontinental Lisboa (Rua Castilho 149, Lisbon 1099-034, Portugal)

What is your Status?
Ambassador Gold

Which room did you book and which upgrade did you receive?

Booked the cheapest Executive room available, was assigned a Junior Suite.

How are the rooms?

The spacious room offered a king bed, two extended seats that resembled modern fainting couches, desk, minibar in a dresser like cabinet, spacious walk through closet with safe, marble bath with two sinks, tub, toilet and bidet and very small shower (the glass door opened inward, to boot!) with rain, hand and side nozzles showers. A bit noisy facing the Parque Eduardo VII with window partially open for ventilation due to airport landing pattern and traffic, ok closed with double pane windows (edited since HK left window open).

How is the Executive Lounge?

Club Intercontinental lounge is new, and is comfortable, and was never crowded (though the hotel was nearly sold out). Fee for those not entitled to lounge access is 45€ per person per day. Extended breakfast is offered with buffet and eggs cooked to order including Ovos cozidos - Portuguese baked eggs (American breakfast is 25€ in room or restaurant). Happy hour 5 - 7 pm offers n/v Taittinger, wines, beers, cocktails and small hot canapés and sweets and biscuits (designed as a tea, given dinner for Portuguese begins at 9 pm most commonly). One can also order anything from the room service menu (same prices, but no 9€ room service fee).

What was good and what was bad?

Staff here went above and beyond with service attitude and benefits. The GM, Giuseppe Vincelli, stopped by to chat and inquire about our stay when we were in the lounge, and Rita T., the Club Intercontinental manager, was extremely attentive as well. All staff attempted to be helpful and attentive - though occasionally a gesture was short of action (partial laundry delivery, misunderstood order, etc.)

Property provided fruit and water in the room on the first day, and large bottle of still water every day. Housekeeping was thorough and great.

Bad: the refurbishment of this property since the 2015 rebranding is very nice, but still in progress. There is considerable noise from hammering and machinery during daytime hours six days a week.

Value for $ or Priority Club Points? Would you return?

This is our second stay here, and we have been treated very well; I'd not hesitate to stay here or recommend the property.
The REALLY bad: the separate showe dribbles water at which ever setting (rain, telephone or side nozzles) and it's truly tiny. One can barely move about - it's telephone box size, and the glass door swings inward. You have to wedge into a corner to open or close the shower door. Designed by an architect who weighed it at 50 kg.

Courtesy Internet was 12 Ms ping, 8.38 Mbps down, 10.02 Mbps up.

Location is super (unless you can't handle or don't like climbing hills), service is tops and refurbishment goes on.

Last edited by JDiver; Apr 16, 2016 at 11:48 pm Reason: Add as we're departing
Old May 1, 2016, 11:32 am

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum, Senior Railcard & Bus Pass
When is a guaranteed upgrade not a guaranteed upgrade?

Checked in about an hour ago. My husband is Spire Abassador. I had written to the hotel when we first made the reservation and got an email saying "I am very pleased to reconfirm your husband's Spire Ambassador status will give you a guaranteed upgrade to one of our Club Rooms with Club Lounge Access." (We booked a Deluxe Park View room.)

On arrival we were told we had Club Lounge access, but no guaranteed room upgrade because the hotel is full. We were offered dinner in the hotel on one night as an apology. On the IHG website I can see 5 club rooms available, but the young man at reception who checked us in tells me that their system shows no availabilty. Interesting. We are waiting for him to come back with an explanation after he checks with his colleague....

This is our first time at the hotel so we don't know how a Club Room compares with our Deluxe Park View on 7th floor.
Old May 1, 2016, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by WickedStepMother
Checked in about an hour ago. My husband is Spire Abassador. I had written to the hotel when we first made the reservation and got an email saying "I am very pleased to reconfirm your husband's Spire Ambassador status will give you a guaranteed upgrade to one of our Club Rooms with Club Lounge Access." (We booked a Deluxe Park View room.)

On arrival we were told we had Club Lounge access, but no guaranteed room upgrade because the hotel is full. We were offered dinner in the hotel on one night as an apology. On the IHG website I can see 5 club rooms available, but the young man at reception who checked us in tells me that their system shows no availabilty. Interesting. We are waiting for him to come back with an explanation after he checks with his colleague....

This is our first time at the hotel so we don't know how a Club Room compares with our Deluxe Park View on 7th floor.

This is how look club room:

I am sorry to hear that you did not get an upgrade.
But I do believe that dinner is a Nice compensation.
Enjoy your stay in wonderful Lisbon and at great IC.
Old May 1, 2016, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by nicolas75
I am sorry to hear that you did not get an upgrade.
But I do believe that dinner is a Nice compensation.
Enjoy your stay in wonderful Lisbon and at great IC.
Thank you nicolas75.

The room in the video looks pretty much the same as ours, which is very comfortable, but the view from the higher floor looks stunning. We will enjoy that view when they move us to a Club room tomorrow and we still get to have the complimentary dinner (tomorrow - we are too tired to do it justice this evening).

It appears that the website was showing availabilty incorrectly, but reception did admit that the Club room should have been reserved for us back in February when we first had confirmation of the guaranteed upgrade.
Old May 2, 2016, 9:23 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
This property does seem to have some hiccups with AMB upgrades, but it sounds like they do try to make it right. When I stayed here a few months ago, at check-in I had already been pre-blocked into a Club Level room, which was the room category I had booked. When I mentioned this, there was quite a bit of scrambling as they tried to find an upgraded room for me... and asked me to come back in a few hours (it was not check-in time yet)... but in the end they placed me in a very nice one-bedroom suite on a high floor with a great view.
Old May 11, 2016, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Does anyone have any sense of when the renovations are supposed to end? My wife and I are considering a stay there in early September.

In addition, does any one have a contact email at the hotel in order to ask about this and other matters?

Finally, any experience with upgrades, club access, etc. for Platinum Ambassadors, beyond the helpful posts already here in the thread?

Thanks for any help!

Last edited by Thunderroad; May 11, 2016 at 7:46 pm
Old Jun 8, 2016, 10:44 pm

Does anyone have the hotel e-mail address? It used to be so easy to find it on the hotel webpage, now it's always hidden or not available. Or is it just me?
Old Jun 9, 2016, 12:55 am

Try [email protected]
Old Jun 9, 2016, 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by WickedStepMother
Will try that. Much obliged^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.