Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 15, 2014, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Spiff
Frequently Asked Questions
Please read these before asking your question in the thread.
  1. Q. If I book a stay using IHG points, does that count as a "stay" towards my Into The Nights offers?
    A. No.

2. Q. If I book a stay using a cash and points rate, does that count as a "stay" towards my Into The Nights offers?
    A. No.

3. Q. Will stays booked via a consolidator (like TravelPony) or other public travel portal or points portal count towards this promo?
    A. No. Your stays must be booked directly with IHG on their website or on their app. However, if you are booking through your corporate portal at work, this may post if such stays usually earn you base points.

4. Q. How long will it take for my points to post?
    A. Normally they post within a week or two.

5. Q. How long after stay points post to my IHG account is it until my personal Into the Nights dashboard is updated showing progress in my offers?
    A. The Tuesday after the stay points post to account. (edit: has been Thursday lately, November)

6. Q. Where can I find the Bonus Point package with Breakfast rate?
    A. Click here to book Bonus Points Package with (or without) Breakfast rate.

NOTE: Make sure that your email confirmation states something like this:

Rate Description: Exclusive to IHG Rewards Club members. Earn Faster with this package offer plus breakfast - Earn 5,000 bonus IHG Rewards Club points per stay when you book the 5,000 Bonus Point Package plus breakfast each day (breakfast for up to 2 adults sharing a room). Membership in IHG® Rewards Club is free! Points can be redeemed at any time for a variety of rewards, including free hotel stays starting at just 10,000 points, airline miles, name-brand merchandise and more. Book now to take advantage of this special offer!

Otherwise you booked the wrong rate type. This type of rate also comes in a 1000 point version.

7. Q. I registered for this promotion before 10/20/2014 and my tasks changed! (E.g., "book a stay with the app" became "book 9 stays with the app").
    A. See this post from IHG's FlyerTalk representative.

8. Q. Does a Holiday Inn Express stay count as a Holiday Inn stay?
    A. No

9. Q. What are the conditions for the free nights being awarded?
    A. Free nights must be redeemed by December 31st, 2015 and must be claimed by January 31st, 2015 or members will automatically be awarded applicable points. Free Nights can only be used in participating IHG hotels and may not be transferred. A Free Night is valid only for one standard room night rate and applicable taxes (not including breakfast). Redemption is subject to availability of the rooms of hotels specially provided for this promotion. The hotel rooms hotels specially provided for this promotion shall be determined at IHG’s discretion.

10. Q.I chose the 2 free nights award, how do I book them?
    A. Go to your My Account page on ihg.com (after logging in). On the left hand masthead you will see an option labeled "Free Night Status". The page will show how many free nights you have available and provides a way to book the nights. Note that it's a bit clumsy -- an initial search will show that the lowest price is Free, but until you click thru you won't know if it's really available for your preferred nights.

11. Q. Can I trade the free nights?
    A. Not on FlyerTalk. They are specifically designated non-transferable.

Post #2585 has a link to the Dashboard. You can "Claim" free nights there.

Please update the FAQ as seems expedient.
Print Wikipost

"Into The Nights" 2014 Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2014, 8:23 am

Programs: IHG Spire, Club Carlson & Hilton HHonors Gold, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by strayersong
Any one knows if the ongoing 48H Flash Sale in UK and Europe count towards the tasks?
IHG agent told me on the phone that all points-earning rates are eligible for the Into The Nights promotion.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by kinglobjaw
Any news regarding stays/nights booked prior to the promotion?

I booked my #ChicagoSeminars HI Elk Grove back in the first half of 2014 with the special FlyerTalk discount code and while all my stay credit/points posted to my IHG account (for a stay checking out on 10/19), nothing has changed on my Into The Nights page and two Tuesdays have already passed.

Wondering if anyone has any insight regarding stays booked prior to the promotion. According to post #858 inside this thread, it has for one person. Any other feedback?
They seem to be a bit backed up in updating the dashboard these days. My first stay (that has been credited for this promo) posted correctly as a valid night towards my required eleven needed; I booked it last summer.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 9:39 am

Programs: BA Exec Blue, IHG Spire, HHonor Gold, Accor Platinum.
Originally Posted by AaronD23
IHG agent told me on the phone that all points-earning rates are eligible for the Into The Nights promotion.
I asked this Q and another about if the 21 Super Saver rates qualify for ITN to ihgcare () and ihgrewards via email.

No answer so far after 3 days

So I rang the UK centre today 0871 942 9292

The lady there contacted the IHGrewards centre (she had no clue) and they came back with:-

48 hr "Flash" sale--NO -becasue they were heavily discounted rates

21 Supersaver rate YES.

Which TBHO is total bo**ocks IMHO

Both rates earn points.
Both rates "can be heavily discounted" BUT they can also be only marginally cheaper-depends on the property.

e.g
21 day super saver is £38 rather than BF at £69 at one property.
Wheras 48 Flash sale is £78 as opposed to £98 so not exactly heavily discounted.

IHG confusion yet again.

Update
I rang 0871 226 1111 Total waste of space-passed around then hung up on.
Rang UK call centre again and asked for the information given over the phone to be emailed to me.

Once I have it in black and white I will probably book a 21 Super save rate

Last edited by blindman; Oct 31, 2014 at 11:00 am
Old Oct 31, 2014, 10:35 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by blindman
I asked this Q and another about if the 21 Super Saver rates qualify for ITN to ihgcare () and ihgrewards via email.

No answer so far after 3 days

So I rang the UK centre today 0871 942 9292

The lady there contacted the IHGrewards centre (she had no clue) and they came back with:-

48 hr "Flash" sale--NO -becasue they were heavily diso....ed rates

21 Supersaver rate YES.

Which TBHO is total bo**ocks IMHO

Both rates earn points.
Both rates "can be heavily discounted" BUT they can also be only marginally cheaper-depends on the property.

e.g
21 day super saver is £38 rather than BF at £69 at one property.
Wheras 48 Flash sale is £78 as opposed to £98 so not exactly heavily discounted.

IHG confusion yet again.
Oh well, this issue has been for a long while since very early days of IHG.

Let us say this problem has been for a decade now. But recently it is slowly showing improvement. Let me try my best to explain why.

Before IHG Rewards Club forms today's structure, (i.e. in the old PC days), all rates are given points as long as it is no more than 30% discount of the Best Flexible Rate. But this creates a problem: the Best Flexible Rate is always fluctuate. When someone booked Advance Purchase rate at $80 while the Flexible rate was $100. By the time he checks in the Flexible rate was $130. So the poor customer could not get any points as the discount is more than 30%...Doesn't make sense, right?

So in the new IHG Rewards Club, they made things very clear, as long as you book any public bookable rate on IHG.com in Advance booking rate, members will get points regardless how much discount it is. That is an improvement. In your example, if you have booked 21 days Advance at £38 while the Best Flexible is £69, you would not get any points...But now such rate is guaranteed points.

However, 24 hours flash sale is a trick. Many hotels are selling the room at a huge discount. For example, Holiday Inn Express Bristol, normally at £59 plus, currently for £29 in the sale. IHG decided not to award points. But there is unfairness in this promotion. Your example is £78 VS £98 is a classic sample!

Obviously IHG seems to be confused, and let customer confused too. Here is my suggestion on how to avoid this confusion:

1>, Always book publicly available rate on IHG. By means of publicly available, it means the rate is displayed without clicking on any promotion page or type in any rate code. These rates are all good.
2>, For any promotional rate that customers need to book through a specified page (i.e. Flash Sale), make sure there is following wording available in terms and conditions: IHG Rewards Club points apply. Without this wording, such promotion is 99% likely excluded from awarding member points.

Following above rules one would expect to get points when book on IHG.com. Hope that helps.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by chongcao
Following above rules one would expect to get points when book on IHG.com. Hope that helps.
Thanks for the description-Doesn't hold water for the Flash Sale though which can be booked direct on the IHG web-site no need for a special page.

Flash sale earns points •You will earn 460 points for this stay
Its' £29 as opposed to ADV at £44 and BF of £60.99
Neither of whose T&C's differ from the Flash sale (below)They all earn points

T&C's are:

Rate Description and Rate Rules
Rate Type: FLASH SALE Rate Description: EXCLUSIVE SALE FOR IHG® REWARDS CLUB MEMBERS. MUST BE AN IHG REWARDS CLUB MEMBER TO BOOK. RESERVATIONS REQUIRE FULL PREPAYMENT FOR ENTIRE STAY AT TIME OF BOOKING. PAYMENT IS CHARGED TO CREDIT CARD BETWEEN TIME OF BOOKING AND ARRIVAL. PREPAYMENT IS NON REFUNDABLE. PLEASE BRING CREDIT CARD USED FOR BOOKING TO CHECK IN. Rate Rules:
ADVANCE PURCHASE REQUIRED
Must purchase at least 7 days in advance. Deposit Required: A deposit for the entire stay is due at time of booking. Cancellation Policy: Canceling your reservation or failing to arrive will result in forfeiture of your deposit. Taxes may apply. Average Nightly Rate £ 29.00 GBP per room, per night
Sat 27 Dec 2014 £ 29.00 GBP per night (1 room(s))

Estimated Total Price £ 29.00 GBP
Tax: 20% per guest night included in rate effective December 27, 2014 thru 28 December, 2014 VAT Additional Charges
The following fees will be added to your total hotel bill only if they apply to your stay.
Early Departure Fee: £ 50.00 GBP
VAT: Rate Includes VAT Parking : Free on-site parking for residents.
Pet Policy : Dogs and small pets allowed. Guide Dogs allowed at all times on premises. There is a

Last edited by blindman; Oct 31, 2014 at 11:05 am
Old Oct 31, 2014, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by AaronD23
Thanks! I'm one night short and booked a stay on Dec 20. If it doesn't count I will be screwed :P

Anyway, on the reservation page it clears states that I will be earning points
Old Oct 31, 2014, 11:47 am
Suspended

Well, I get as well as give and I appreciate you guys punching holes in my theories esp. remark!

Remark, given the additional information, I would try to again contact an IHG account rep with a detailed letter of just what happened, and I also would send the same to the rep(s) on this board, as you truly believed you were qualifying and indeed, you paid the same as you would have qualified.

Now, upon reflection instead of the heat of the moment posting, I would admit that a Thursday & Friday stay under one confirm would satisfy this promotion; so too, would a Friday & Saturday Stay, as would a Saturday & Sunday stay, as well as a Sunday & Monday stay -- all under one confirmation.

In instances where a different result obtained, like remark's, a rationale explanation would seem to permit others to agree with your point of view -- as I have with respect to remark's situation and I hope that IHG personnel would be as open-minded.

With respect to nightmare fantasies and the like, first, I was not the only one to question the narrative upon the bare-bones and still later barely fleshed story.

Second, I admit that I have become jaded with respect to some of the excuses given by FT people over the years with respect to their outright failure to follow commonsense rules, or their unmitigated outright greed and rationalizing to keep same whatever the rules state, and regardless of their moral compass.

I recently encountered the reverse of this when some long time Royal Ambassador and Ambassador posters state that the rules on awards clearly state that one is only to receive a standard room and that is it -- despite the fact that the hotels routinely put up higher room types.

They contended -- with some justification -- that the rules are clear and that is that. However, anyone with a legal background or some sort of training or having taken course on same, would know that is often not the end of the story when it comes to contracts and what is euphemistically known as meeting of the minds, and if there is a mistake, one can' just sit on one's hands and do nothing and not notify the other party of such mistake -- especially if that "mistake" is repeated quite often.

They took the position -- and some even said as much -- that they were sick and tired of people claiming a "mistake" rate would entitle them to the world -- like a $5.00 Presidential suite or a R/T USA - Europe for $10.00 in business class.

Now, I am one who agrees with such views up to a point as there is a continuum where a mistake that is plain to both sides becomes a mistake of only one side and an uneven degree of naked greed as to the other.

In my point of view, putting a better class of room up for any sort of reward, does not rise to ill-gotten gains.

Nor, does a rationale explanation in this case given remark's, well now, more full remarks.

It is not a situation where someone blindly decides not to follow clear rules or decides not to ask believing that they would get a reasonable explanation from IHG for same -- and many of you doubt that could ever happen.

Fortunately, I have had good success getting responses from IHG in writing but I know others have not. That is why I say try again, except with greater detail.

There is a point where too good to be true is too good to be true, and regardless of mistake rates, the company has the option not to honor them and risk the bad press -- but on some mistakes, I would say bad press be damned, as those seeking something for nothing should pound sand and let others see them for what they are -- greedy.

Then one comes to the other side where I just read a story of Hampton telling guests who lost their personal items in a hotel fire that it was an act of God and denying any and all responsibility for the loss.

There is a happy medium and it says a lot about a person if he has made an innocent mistake and others who had initially judged him perhaps too harshly have had the guts to admit their mistake and accept their error.

So too, it demonstrates a great deal of someone who continues to try to get an angle despite a clear reading or intentional mis-reading of the rules so as to try to game the system and get a hard task accomplished by instead trying to cut corners and do an easy task -- for example, stay at 2 Holiday Inns gets converted to 2 stays at the same HI, when a more reasonable interpretation and one that could easily be found out by contacting IHG in writing, would be that it must be at 2 separate HIs.

So, too, was my and others beliefs that there was an effort to game the system that resulted in the downfall of remark and a we told you so, or too smart by half, or a fool and his money are easily parted syndrome taking effect.

Anyway, I will continue to call them as I see them and call others out when they are being greedy IMHO, but I am man enough to admit my mistakes or gracious enough to permit exceptions when the intent was to comply with the rules of the game. I just hope IHG feels likewise in remark's situation and that is why I hope he tries again and reports back with his results.

Last edited by NJUPINTHEAIR; Oct 31, 2014 at 11:54 am
Old Oct 31, 2014, 12:01 pm
Suspended

Thanks for the description-Doesn't hold water for the Flash Sale though which can be booked direct on the IHG web-site no need for a special page.

Does the same header also appear when one books an Entertainment Rate? If so, then you are misleading yourself and more importantly others for it is well established that Entertainment rates do not earn points despite what a heading on the booking page might state and therefore do not qualify for promotions.

If it does state as much, then you are setting yourself up for a potential fight and more importantly setting others up for same who might not have the stomach for a fight -- and therefore, the anecdotal oral reports that Flash sale rates do not earn points and count for promotion purposes may actually be true. Therefore, you would be doing a disservice not only to yourself but more importantly to others who take what you have written above as gospel and are consequentially potentially led astray by same.

Of course, I have written a countervailing argument, that they can choose to believe or not, but they certainly should not complain if at some point in the future these rates are proven to be not qualifying for although you may have reproduced the booking page, nothing in the terms and conditions that you have reproduced above has convinced me that such rates are definitely qualifying rates -- indeed, the terms above are silent on that specific issue.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by NJUPINTHEAIR
Does the same header also appear when one books an Entertainment Rate?

...?
I have never ever seen in my life an "Entertainment rate " on the IHG website

So no as it doesn't appear

Not sure what you're smoking this weekend but all I'm trying to do is to determine by some definite means if the Flash sale and 21 day Saver actually are Qualifying rates.

TBHO I do not think ANYONE knows.
The CS at ihgrewards look like they get paid on every response they "close" so they turn out garbage to achieve this.
UK staff have no clue to this so have to contact said ihgrewards people who give the same garabage answer so they can close the call.

Got this classic "cut and paste" from IHG rewards today:
I have formatted to make it easier to read-but it is straight from the web-site.

Please be advised that points are not issued for stays at the following reduced room rates (Non-Qualifying Room Rates; Non-Qualifying Stay):
net wholesale individual and group rate,
certain package rates,
employee discount rate,
friends and family rate,
crew rate,
special discounted contract rates,
seasonal worker/crew rate,
50% travel club discount rate,
distressed passenger rate,
IHG® Rewards Club Reward Nights/Airline Hotel Reward rate,
most rates booked through most third-party web sites,
complimentary hotel stays
and any other rates not defined as a Qualifying Room Rate.
My questions was specific about the 48 hour sale rate and the 21 day Super saver rate.

Now where in that cut and paste does it say they are not\ or ARE qualifiying rates.

and WHAT is QUALIFYING ROOM RATE? If you get points is it QUALIFYING?

What is the definition of QUALIFYING??

Total mess.

I'm still waiting for my email from the UK call centre from the oral confirmation that 21 Super saver rates arre "Qualifying"

I notice the IHGCARE rep has not dared to show his\her face again.

I'd be embarrassed to work for this CS too

Last edited by blindman; Oct 31, 2014 at 12:58 pm
Old Oct 31, 2014, 12:58 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by htb

I'm sorry, but I think you lost me somewhere. Where did you say do the T&Cs state that you are not allowed to think about shortening a two night stay into a one night stay if you want to qualify for this promotion?

HTB.
I hope I have clarified myself to your exactitude above, but I would maintain, although I never said as such, that if one were to book 2 nights but actually stayed 1 weekend night, and therefore, had not extended their weekend, there would be no way in hell that I would consider that as qualifying for the promotion, unless they actually paid for the second night.

So, if they paid for 2 nights and stayed for either 1 or 2 nights, that is enough for me, but if they paid for only one night and sought credit for a second night that they had not paid for and therefore also sought to have been considered as completing the promotion -- regardless of any explanation that they may later put forth, I would be against granting them completion of the requirements, as that smacks me as gross overreaching and contrary to the clear intent of the rules.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 1:05 pm
Suspended

Not sure what you're smoking this weekend but all I'm trying to do is to determine by some definite means if the Flash sale and 21 day Saver actually are Qualifying rates.

TBHO I do not think ANYONE knows.
The CS at ihgrewards look like they get paid on every response they "close" so they turn out garbage to achieve this.
UK staff have no clue to this so have to contact said ihgrewards people who give the same garabage answer so they can close the call.

Got this classic "cut and paste" from IHG rewards today:
I have formatted to make it easier to read-but it is straight from the web-site.

My questions was specific about the 48 hour sale rate and the 21 day Super saver rate.

Now where in that cut and paste does it say they are not\ or ARE qualifiying rates.

and WHAT is QUALIFYING ROOM RATE? If you get points is it QUALIFYING?

What is the definition of QUALIFYING??

Total mess.

I'm still waiting for my email from the UK call centre from the oral confirmation that 21 Super saver rates arre "Qualifying"

I notice the IHGCARE rep has not dared to show his\her face again.

I'd be embarrassed to work for this CS too

Blindman --

Am smoking nothing cause I don't smoke!

However, as an American pol well known the world over once said -- I feel your pain.

I really do!

And, I would wait and hope for an answer and also post to IHG community and their twitter accounts for an explanation.

However, you did not answer me my query -- Did the statement that you posted indicate that the rates were qualifying -- was that taken from the heading of your booking page?

If so, I would copy and paste and point blank ask that question to IHG care and the several other sources I think you should try to contact to get an answer.

Not saying you will get one soon, and therefore, hopefully you won't book same, but hopefully persistence will pay off.

Don't blame me -- IHG is not my primary lodging choice -- and their handling of this promotion seems that they are intent on not changing my mind on that matter -- but I am generally risk averse, and if something is not quite right, I will not look before I leap if there seems a great deal of doubt that my efforts will not be rewarded. May I suggest that you follow a similar set of guidelines, regardless of what you may smoke or drink or eat this weekend?
Old Oct 31, 2014, 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by NJUPINTHEAIR

However, you did not answer me my query -- Did the statement that you posted indicate that the rates were qualifying -- was that taken from the heading of your booking page?

it was

If so, I would copy and paste and point blank ask that question to IHG care and the several other sources I think you should try to contact to get an answer.

I have done they are totally useless for reasons given above

Not saying you will get one soon, and therefore, hopefully you won't book same, but hopefully persistence will pay off.

Don't blame me -- IHG is not my primary lodging choice -- and their handling of this promotion seems that they are intent on not changing my mind on that matter -- but I am generally risk averse, and if something is not quite right, I will not look before I leap if there seems a great deal of doubt that my efforts will not be rewarded. May I suggest that you follow a similar set of guidelines, regardless of what you may smoke or drink or eat this weekend?
It's not just this promotion that's the problem it's the vague T&C's as posted earlier.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 1:30 pm

If it helps I had a 21 day supersaver for £31 and BFR of £73 where the 21DSS qualified and loaded to the dashboard.

Can't help with the flash sale though, however last years £25 promo specifically said they did not qualify - Sad I know but I've still got the email.
Old Oct 31, 2014, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by chrism20
If it helps I had a 21 day supersaver for £31 and BFR of £73 where the 21DSS qualified and loaded to the dashboard.

Can't help with the flash sale though, however last years £25 promo specifically said they did not qualify - Sad I know but I've still got the email.
That helps a lot ^

The problem with the "Flash Sale" is that some rates are barely cheaper than BFlex rate, whilstl others are about 50% cheaper.
and there are no specifics about "qualifying"

Anothere marketing c*ck up for IHG.

So IHGCare where the hell are you?
Old Oct 31, 2014, 3:38 pm
Suspended

T&C's are:
Oh well. Can not debate any further. Blame IHG.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.