"Into The Nights" 2014 Master Thread

Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 16, 15, 2:23 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Spiff
Wiki Link
Frequently Asked Questions
Please read these before asking your question in the thread.
  1. Q. If I book a stay using IHG points, does that count as a "stay" towards my Into The Nights offers?
    A. No.

2. Q. If I book a stay using a cash and points rate, does that count as a "stay" towards my Into The Nights offers?
    A. No.

3. Q. Will stays booked via a consolidator (like TravelPony) or other public travel portal or points portal count towards this promo?
    A. No. Your stays must be booked directly with IHG on their website or on their app. However, if you are booking through your corporate portal at work, this may post if such stays usually earn you base points.

4. Q. How long will it take for my points to post?
    A. Normally they post within a week or two.

5. Q. How long after stay points post to my IHG account is it until my personal Into the Nights dashboard is updated showing progress in my offers?
    A. The Tuesday after the stay points post to account. (edit: has been Thursday lately, November)

6. Q. Where can I find the Bonus Point package with Breakfast rate?
    A. Click here to book Bonus Points Package with (or without) Breakfast rate.

NOTE: Make sure that your email confirmation states something like this:

Rate Description: Exclusive to IHG Rewards Club members. Earn Faster with this package offer plus breakfast - Earn 5,000 bonus IHG Rewards Club points per stay when you book the 5,000 Bonus Point Package plus breakfast each day (breakfast for up to 2 adults sharing a room). Membership in IHG® Rewards Club is free! Points can be redeemed at any time for a variety of rewards, including free hotel stays starting at just 10,000 points, airline miles, name-brand merchandise and more. Book now to take advantage of this special offer!

Otherwise you booked the wrong rate type. This type of rate also comes in a 1000 point version.

7. Q. I registered for this promotion before 10/20/2014 and my tasks changed! (E.g., "book a stay with the app" became "book 9 stays with the app").
    A. See this post from IHG's FlyerTalk representative.

8. Q. Does a Holiday Inn Express stay count as a Holiday Inn stay?
    A. No

9. Q. What are the conditions for the free nights being awarded?
    A. Free nights must be redeemed by December 31st, 2015 and must be claimed by January 31st, 2015 or members will automatically be awarded applicable points. Free Nights can only be used in participating IHG hotels and may not be transferred. A Free Night is valid only for one standard room night rate and applicable taxes (not including breakfast). Redemption is subject to availability of the rooms of hotels specially provided for this promotion. The hotel rooms hotels specially provided for this promotion shall be determined at IHG’s discretion.

10. Q.I chose the 2 free nights award, how do I book them?
    A. Go to your My Account page on ihg.com (after logging in). On the left hand masthead you will see an option labeled "Free Night Status". The page will show how many free nights you have available and provides a way to book the nights. Note that it's a bit clumsy -- an initial search will show that the lowest price is Free, but until you click thru you won't know if it's really available for your preferred nights.

11. Q. Can I trade the free nights?
    A. Not on FlyerTalk. They are specifically designated non-transferable.

Post #2585 has a link to the Dashboard. You can "Claim" free nights there.

Please update the FAQ as seems expedient.
Print Wikipost

Old Oct 25, 14, 3:17 am

Originally Posted by jms_uk View Post
For any UK members, have you managed to complete this offer [if you have it on your dashboard]:

3 stays already - all paid with the said card - still shows as not complete.
Yes, stay was 18th September and the points posted on 15th October.
Old Oct 25, 14, 5:43 am
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: AA EXP (3MM), UA PLT, DL PM, MR PLT PREM, HH DIAMOND, IHG SPIRE AMB, OTHERS
As of this morning, my IHG App promo is back down to the original 1 booking requirement.

Unfortunately, it still doesn't indicate complete despite being well outside of the "2 to 3 weeks" of posting time mentioned in the T&Cs.

-FlyerBeek
Old Oct 25, 14, 5:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by graeylin View Post
How big is the issue? Only IHG knows, and they aren't talking. Literally.

You can't base it on facebooks posts or FT rants, because many people may HAVE the problem, but never be inclined to post. Others may be so inclined, and actually post (like me), and then when either an answer is given (oops, we will fix it, give us time), we retreat and give the company time (it doesn't help to keep beating the slaves, they are rowing as fast as they can), OR, when issues are raised (like mine with the app) and IHG Customer care never replies or answers in any channels, we may just give up and think "I don't care anymore. I'll stay at Marriotts from now on."

I don't know the PR rule, but one complaint is typically equal to some much larger percentage of unhappy customers, but only 1 in a 100 will say something.
And, of course, people don't post when there's no problem.

So I will.

• My promo showed up right at the start, no delays.
  • It's reasonable - 4 tasks that can be done in 4 nights total, no geographic restrictions.
  • It's remained unchanged since it first appeared.
  • I have one 2-night stay completed so far, and it showed up on my tracker correctly shortly after my stay.

I still need 2 Saturday nights, and those will be mattress runs, so I'm confident enough to be committing ~$150 out of pocket to earn the points & stays.

I'm only aware of the mess because of this lengthy thread, and because a few bloggers have written about it. But the typical member probably doesn't read any of that, and would be blissfully unaware..
Old Oct 25, 14, 6:36 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Hilton Honors Gold
That would work wonderful, except here's how it works for me.

1) Call IHG Customer (don't) Care
2) Talk to Kendall, or Shakira
3) They tell me my previous app was a web browser, and I need to download the app
4) I give them my cell phone, and voila, there appears a text with a link to the app
5) Download the app
6) Cancel all the reservations I just made with it
7) make new ones
8) they tell me "that's a web browser, not the app. Use the app."
9) Rinse, repeat, ad infinitum.

Why don't you take screenshots on your phone when you make the booking on the App and then send them to IHG?
Old Oct 25, 14, 7:10 am

Here is my experience with this program:

1) I received offer (50K or 2 free nights)
2) I immediately registered (9/7/14)
3) I adjusted business travel accordingly (away from competing chain), and after a few weeks was 1 Saturday night away from completion. The tracker page was never correct (missing one stay and missing download of app and booking through app, which I completed)
4) I checked tracker page 2 days ago, and for some reason my qualifications were increased- I now needed another online booking through the app. But it was still 50K or 2 free nights. I called customer service to try to get the tracker corrected, and try to get my original offer back. She stated original offer was a mistake, and the new offer is the correct offer. She also insisted my enrollment date was 9/11/14, hence why my tracker was not showing some of my stays. I unfortunately did not have the dated registration confirmation email with me proving otherwise. After putting me on hold for awhile, she finally stated she fixed everything, would be keeping the NEW offer, and the tracker would be updated and reflected within 7-10 days.
5) I checked today, and for some reason my offer REQUIREMENTS are back to the original offer. But they lowered AWARD to 26,900 or 2 free nights! And the tracker is still not correct.

Summary: I have wasted enough time on this. I was one night away from meeting the requirements, and they lowered my award from 50,000 or 2 free nights to 26,900 or 2 free nights.

Perhaps this program is designed as a test of loyalty, not a reward for loyalty...

Last edited by WannaTheater; Oct 25, 14 at 7:18 am
Old Oct 25, 14, 8:32 am

Originally Posted by swag View Post
And, of course, people don't post when there's no problem.
I'm only aware of the mess because of this lengthy thread, and because a few bloggers have written about it. But the typical member probably doesn't read any of that, and would be blissfully unaware..
We'll never know how many people were effected, but I suspect it's a pretty decent percentage. I know my requirements changed and the two people I know who were also participating also had their requirements changed.

Of course it is a minority of people who read this thread or follow points bloggers and because of that there are probably many people who did not even realize their requirements had changed. Some likely looked, saw what they needed to do and began doing in. It might be some time later - perhaps after completion, that they would finally check and see a bait and switch.

But no matter how many people are effected no company wants to target involved customers just to piss them off, so this had to be a real issue for IHG. But rather than just pile on, lets take a look at the bright side -

People complained, the company took notice, having a rep come to this thread and promise to fix things. Then they largely followed up, it seems, doing exactly what they said they would do to fix this.

Anyone who flies and travels frequently comes across screw-ups and puzzling management decisions with alarming regularity. How refreshing that in this case customers had a voice that was heard, and company reps have tried, and are trying, to fix things. Yes, shame on them for how this was rolled out, but at least a hat tip to for trying to correct it.
Old Oct 25, 14, 9:13 am

My dashboard has now been rolled back to the previous (and incorrect) one from 2 weeks ago. It would have been nice to have included the one stay that had already posted this week.

I am unsure why my first stay of the promo posted as being booked on the app, but the second one did not??? I will have 7 stays booked on the app by the middle of November so hopefully at least three of those will have posted correctly so I satisfy the app booking task. For some reason not thinking this is guaranteed.
Old Oct 25, 14, 10:54 am

Programs: UA 1k 1MM, AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Accor ?????
My Into The Nights status finally updated. It's nice to actually to see the results.
Old Oct 25, 14, 11:57 am

Programs: IHG Plat,*A Gold, US CP
Originally Posted by WannaTheater View Post
Here is my experience with this program:

1) I received offer (50K or 2 free nights)
2) I immediately registered (9/7/14)
3) I adjusted business travel accordingly (away from competing chain), and after a few weeks was 1 Saturday night away from completion. The tracker page was never correct (missing one stay and missing download of app and booking through app, which I completed)
4) I checked tracker page 2 days ago, and for some reason my qualifications were increased- I now needed another online booking through the app. But it was still 50K or 2 free nights. I called customer service to try to get the tracker corrected, and try to get my original offer back. She stated original offer was a mistake, and the new offer is the correct offer. She also insisted my enrollment date was 9/11/14, hence why my tracker was not showing some of my stays. I unfortunately did not have the dated registration confirmation email with me proving otherwise. After putting me on hold for awhile, she finally stated she fixed everything, would be keeping the NEW offer, and the tracker would be updated and reflected within 7-10 days.
5) I checked today, and for some reason my offer REQUIREMENTS are back to the original offer. But they lowered AWARD to 26,900 or 2 free nights! And the tracker is still not correct.

Summary: I have wasted enough time on this. I was one night away from meeting the requirements, and they lowered my award from 50,000 or 2 free nights to 26,900 or 2 free nights.

Perhaps this program is designed as a test of loyalty, not a reward for loyalty...
I believe you are interpreting the offers incorrectly.

here is mine.

Offer Points
Bonus Points
Total Points

you get points for completing each task. and once you complete the required amount of tasks you get the bonus points. So in total you will get the 50k. so actually the choice, in my example, is between 26,200 bonus points or 2 free nights when I complete the required tasks. Since I already completed 3/4 required tasks I have gotten those offer points (9200,2400,8000) already in my account.
Old Oct 25, 14, 4:16 pm

Well, I figured out my problem with the IHG app.

There are multiple "apps" out there for IHG and holiday inn. However, it appears that only the IHG App for Android (available from the google play store) is the one that counts.

I do not have an android phone, so I can't download that app (and neither can Nokia phone owners, Blackberry owners, etc..) (and, thanks for the ideas to use someone else's phone, but android apps require syncing your google accounts to the device, and I don't really know anyone well enough to give them my google passwords, emails, contacts, etc.).

So... no go for me, I will have to let that one pass me by.

My advice for IHG Promo is to make it more clear in their initial offers that this is a very specific item, rather than use the generic word "app". "Download the Android App from Google and book a stay", rather than "Download the app".

I'll see if I can find a hotel on my travel route now that has a breakfast rate I can book, to complete that one. That's even harder, given the remote locations I tend to stay (mostly HIE locations only). But, there's a chance, perhaps, to find one and complete that instead.
Old Oct 25, 14, 5:02 pm
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: DL FO 1.4MM, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM.

There are multiple "apps" out there for IHG and holiday inn. However, it appears that only the IHG App for Android (available from the google play store) is the one that counts.
Well, my stay booked via the Ipad app appears to have finally posted, and I have completed all of the initial 5 offers. I now get the choice of the 27K points or 2 nights.

And I now have six more offers with a potential bonus of 20K points. One of those offers is to redeem points for an award night or merchandise. I don't think I will complete those offers (unless I can find a really cheap night or merchandise.) Not sure if the cheap magazine subscriptions count.

I am thankful that the into the nights journey seems to be at an end!

David
Old Oct 25, 14, 7:12 pm

And then the very next post says booked from an Ipad.....

I do not have an android phone, so I can't download that app (and neither can Nokia phone owners, Blackberry owners, etc..) (and, thanks for the ideas to use someone else's phone, but android apps require syncing your google accounts to the device, and I don't really know anyone well enough to give them my google passwords, emails, contacts, etc.).

So... no go for me, I will have to let that one pass me by.

My advice for IHG Promo is to make it more clear in their initial offers that this is a very specific item, rather than use the generic word "app". "Download the Android App from Google and book a stay", rather than "Download the app".

I'll see if I can find a hotel on my travel route now that has a breakfast rate I can book, to complete that one. That's even harder, given the remote locations I tend to stay (mostly HIE locations only). But, there's a chance, perhaps, to find one and complete that instead.
Old Oct 25, 14, 7:20 pm

I booked my ihg stays using my wife's . No Google sync required, you log into the app separately
Old Oct 25, 14, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fabulous on one of the US carriers..
Originally Posted by DiverDave View Post
Well, my stay booked via the Ipad app appears to have finally posted, and I have completed all of the initial 5 offers. I now get the choice of the 27K points or 2 nights.

And I now have six more offers with a potential bonus of 20K points. One of those offers is to redeem points for an award night or merchandise. I don't think I will complete those offers (unless I can find a really cheap night or merchandise.) Not sure if the cheap magazine subscriptions count.

I am thankful that the into the nights journey seems to be at an end!

David

I downloaded the app (ipad) and still no love - not even recognized that the app was downloaded. Caveat though - I had to change hotels last minute by phone since my original booking was in HKG the night of the tear gassing. So we will see what happens there. Regardless, it shouldn't be an issue since they reset the required nights back to one (I was one of those who had the app stays bumped way up). Perhaps I'm being optimistic.

However - I had received by email an offer for an 80k bonus on the credit card, so I signed up for that vs the 60k in the into the nights offer. Got full credit for that with Into the Nights with no issue whatsoever.

So who knows how they work.
Old Oct 25, 14, 7:33 pm

Programs: TK-G | Accor G | Marriott P | SPG P| Hilton S
Sounds like a mess. Lucikly i dont even bother with this promo. They still owed me some points from last year promo which they said IT glitch and will get rectified and until now no news about that.

IHG is my personal least favourite program next to Best Western. Lucikly i have no Biz trip on IHG property also this year

Search this Thread