Wiki Posts
Search

Even Hotel Rockville Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2014, 1:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
Even Hotel Rockville Master Thread

I'm just back from my first stay at the Even Hotel in Rockville, Maryland. The grand opening was last week and it was a lot of fun to be there when the Even staff rolled out the huge yoga welcome mat (instead of a traditional ribbon cutting).

I wrote a review for Frequent Business Traveler but let me summarize my experience here. Happy to answer any questions about Even that I can.

I arrived on the day of the grand opening and everyone was focused on that. Nonetheless, front desk staff ("Keep Active Hosts") checked me in, gave me my wristband key, and off I was to my room.

My room was a standard queen-size room but there's very little "standard" about it. It's a large room with significant space set aside for the in-room mini gym/workout area. That has a cork floor while the bedroom side has carpeting.

Even Hotels don't use the standard hotel television setup with menus - you can turn it on and go to a channel, or watch some of the hundreds of hours of suggested in-room workouts with a trainer.

The restaurant serves breakfast and dinner. Almost everything is served on a board and, if it's not on a board, it's in a bowl. Kale is big here. Desserts max out around 400 calories. Great bar, too.

The hotel has a very happy group of employees and that shows in how guests are treated. They encourage healthy behavior (take the stairs up to your room? - one staircase is designed specifically for guest use, complete with cute slogans) and the gym is great. The GM and other senior staff host a sunrise rise for guests and, well, I'm sure you get the picture by now.

I'd sum it up as boutique hotel meets spa in many respects but this is priced as a mid-tier property.

If you want to see my review, it's online and has 4 virtual tours of different aspects of the property on the last page.

Even Hotel Rockville, Maryland – Review
New Wellness-Focused Brand Pushes Guests to be Healthy
If someone had told me a few weeks ago that I would be on a mat on a sidewalk of a busy street doing yoga, I would have thought that person a bit odd. Yet, there I was, on a yoga mat, outside the brand new Even Hotel in Rockville, Maryland, participating in my first-ever class.

But I’m getting ahead of myself. Allow me to first describe the hotel.

What we have here is a mid-sized boutique hotel where each room has a private mini gym/workout area. Staff actively promote wellness, the general manager and others lead a sunrise run in the morning for guests, and instead of a ribbon cutting, the hotel rolled out a giant yoga welcome mat on opening day. Think boutique meets spa and you’ll have the concept down. All of the food is healthy (think “kale” among other items) and even the luscious desserts at dinner don’t exceed 400 calories. This may all sound pricey, but it’s masquerading as a mid-tier hotel that will fit your budget....
<SNIP>
Old Sep 8, 2014, 1:29 pm

Programs: UA 1P, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Since many of us will need to stay at EVEN Hotels in the future thanks to "Into the Nights" 2014, why not have a EVEN DO 2014?
Old Sep 8, 2014, 1:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by mediator
Since many of us will need to stay at EVEN Hotels in the future thanks to BW2014, why not have a EVEN DO 2014?

No idea what BW2014 is but I'm sure the Even folks would love it.
Old Sep 8, 2014, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by jspira
No idea what BW2014 is but I'm sure the Even folks would love it.
Opps, I meant to say the into the nights promotion. Anyway I already booked a night at this property. I'm still debating if I should switch to the Norwalk one.
Old Sep 9, 2014, 3:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Basically, it is a renovated Holiday Inn Express with a mat in the room ...
Old Sep 9, 2014, 7:55 am

my issue with staying at the Even hotels is that the IHG M/C doesn't recognize the brand, and doesn't give me 5x points on the bill. I'm afraid to take it up with customer service and they see all the registered promo codes in my account history

That said, the hotel in Norwalk is very clean, nice people, and I actually end up using the rubber bands/yoga ball for inroom workouts. Only drawback, is morning coffee is not free (unless you sue your free drink voucher for that...instead of evening alcohol)
Old Sep 9, 2014, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I take it they don't provide any in-room coffee?

I really wouldn't worry too much about promotions, unless you have a lot of current ones, or very recent stays with a ton of them accrued. I'd ask for the credit card points you've legitimately earned.
Old Sep 9, 2014, 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
I take it they don't provide any in-room coffee?

I really wouldn't worry too much about promotions, unless you have a lot of current ones, or very recent stays with a ton of them accrued. I'd ask for the credit card points you've legitimately earned.
If there's in-room coffee, i've yet to find it on my 4 stays. That said, the lobby coffee for sale is superb....different choice of beans, and bean-to-cup...meaning the machine grounds the beans when you choose it and makes the coffee immediately.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 12:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
If it's a self-serve machine, how do you pay - via a slot to insert money/card?

They had such a device (free) at a Hilton lounge this past weekend, including a cocoa option, but no decaf available.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 5:24 am

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
If it's a self-serve machine, how do you pay - via a slot to insert money/card?

They had such a device (free) at a Hilton lounge this past weekend, including a cocoa option, but no decaf available.
There are Ipads that you can use to check out. As far as I can tell much of the day the pantry area operates on something close to the honor system.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 5:29 am

I recently stayed at this hotel on a mattress run for the Into the Nights promotion (I received the stay at 3 Even hotels offer). I took a lot of pictures and posted them on my website with a trip report. All and all, I could see it as a nice alternative for road warriors who would like to exercise and eat healthy.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 6:18 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by humanoid94
I recently stayed at this hotel on a mattress run for the Into the Nights promotion (I received the stay at 3 Even hotels offer). I took a lot of pictures and posted them on my website with a trip report. All and all, I could see it as a nice alternative for road warriors who would like to exercise and eat healthy.
Thanks for the link! Wow, 3 stays? I only need to do one, but then again, I don't stay often at IHG properties -- now, perhaps, I will!
Old Nov 10, 2014, 12:43 pm

Just finished my stay at this hotel. Overall it is OK but I do feel the management is trying hard to improve.
-During check-in, the front desk is not familiar with the rate I booked, had to call management to confirm.
-Plat welcome is a drink at the bar. Selection is OK. Not all cocktails are available though.
-The water in the lobby is not replenished at night.
-The shampoo bottle in my room is empty. Also the dispenser is hard to use.

I addressed my concerns at checkout and the front desk noted my concerns and promise the manager will response. Surprisingly, I received a call from the manager a few hours later. The manger apologized for the inconvenience during my stay and offered compensation to me. That was a really welcoming gesture and I'll try to stay at this place again if I'm in the area next time.

Other points:
Hotel offers free shuttle to Twinbrook metro station. The ride to DCA is about 90 minutes. There is a Chinese restaurant on the Rollins Ave and it is quite good.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 12:51 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by tdaley77

That said, the hotel in Norwalk is very clean, nice people, and I actually end up using the rubber bands/yoga ball for inroom workouts. Only drawback, is morning coffee is not free (unless you sue your free drink voucher for that...instead of evening alcohol)
The Norwalk location is the old Four Points that deflagged awhile ago. Nothing special when it was a 4P (no pool etc) Im sure nothing has changed except having to pay 2x to stay there. Which Im doing this coming Sat night to knock off my Into the Nights where 1 item is to stay at either Even. I need to be in Stamford anyways so its not that bad and paying alittle more then had I stayed in Stamford
Old Dec 2, 2014, 11:40 am

Anyone want a free Saturday night stay in Dec. here? I am doing the IHG Into the Nights promotion and must stay a Saturday at either the Even in Rockville or Connecticut but am located 4+ hours away from both locations. I will book and pay for room and add you as a guest, you just have to check in. PM me if interested.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.