Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HIX Frankfurt City Hauptbahnhof (Master Thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2014, 6:25 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Bonvoy Titanium
HIX Frankfurt City Hauptbahnhof (Master Thread)

Has anyone stayed at this property? Couldn't find any reports in this forum. Going to be in Frankfurt for one night on a layover. Could also stay at other HIX vs. IC vs. Meridien with SPG points. Never been to Frankfurt so looking for something conveniently located. Thanks.
Old Jun 6, 2014, 10:20 pm
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by AirD0c
Has anyone stayed at this property? Couldn't find any reports in this forum. Going to be in Frankfurt for one night on a layover. Could also stay at other HIX vs. IC vs. Meridien with SPG points. Never been to Frankfurt so looking for something conveniently located. Thanks.
I have stayed there for a night and found it perfectly adequate. They gave me one of the somewhat larger rooms as a Platinum member.

It's about a 5 minutes walk from the main station. There are closer hotels but not IHG hotels.

HTB.
Old Jun 7, 2014, 1:04 am

Nice place, extremely convenient. Minutes to walk to the main train station ( Hauptbahnhof ) and catch transportation to anywhere, downtown or airport.
Stayed there for three nights a couple of years ago, got upgraded to a huge room and would return anytime. Besides the access to public transportation,
you can easily walk downtown without any problems and it's safe. Of course it's not he IC, where the rooms are much smaller, it is a HIX and the breakfast is good. Have fun!
Old Jun 7, 2014, 1:39 am
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by EXLEFTSEAT
Stayed there for three nights a couple of years ago, got upgraded to a huge room and would return anytime. Besides the access to public transportation,
you can easily walk downtown without any problems and it's safe.
And not to forget: the redlight district is only one block away

HTB.
Old Jun 7, 2014, 1:42 am

Originally Posted by htb
And not to forget: the redlight district is only one block away

HTB.
When I was a kid, it was sort of interesting yet never dangerous. Today it's just boring. It is quite safe around this hotel, just follow your instincts as you would do in any other place.
Old Jun 7, 2014, 4:37 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, ALL Silver,, Miles&More
I have staid there many times, last time end of April. As Plat you usually get a bigger room on an upper floor. You exit the elevator in the staircase, and access the corridor to the rooms only by using your key card. The rates are moderate for Frankfurt/Main mostly. Breakfast is very ok as usual in HIXs. The interiour is in good condition. Better guests class in the hotel tourists and business men and many women. The place is safe and you feel safe (Don´t worry FFM is a safe and high class city if you don´t do business with the local gangsters ). Car parking at the public street in front of the hotel is allowed and free night time. Control bill at checkout e.g. if you booked for two rooms. Last time they issued the invoice on my collegue´s name and I have seen this later at home and had to write to hotel and IHG to get my stay, points and remaining Big Win promotions credited.

I am HIX fan ^

Last edited by submonte; Jun 7, 2014 at 5:04 am
Old Jun 7, 2014, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
I've stayed at this HIX several times, often at Messe time, and agree with the comments above.

I'm not sure I'd recommend it for a one night stay to somebody new to Frankfurt. OP has other possibilities. Other things being equal, I'd also be considering Le Meridien - opposite the station - or even the IC - slightly further away but still walkable from the station.

But certainly nothing wrong with this HIX.
Old Jun 7, 2014, 6:58 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Bonvoy Titanium
Thanks the thoughtful replies. I'll book a room here. Costs 90 EUR (123 USD), 25k points (.49 cents/point), or 15k points + 70 USD (.35 cents/point). So while I usually like cash & points redemption, using points alone appears to be the better deal here.
Old Jul 5, 2014, 9:40 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
I'm going to be in town for two nights then taking the train down to MUC so I wanted to be near the train station. I can stay at this hotel for 89.50EUR/night. (Thu,Fri). I'm a little confused by the location, when I use google maps street view I can't seem to find it. Also, its a few blocks from the station, I'm wondering if I'll have trouble with my bags. They have wheels though.

Alternatively, I can stay at the HIX Messe 80EUR/night. I think there's a bus.
I could stay at the intercontinental, but thats 114.50EUR/night. Alot more expensive. I don't need anything too fancy, just clean, not too old.
Old Jul 5, 2014, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by eng3
I'm going to be in town for two nights then taking the train down to MUC so I wanted to be near the train station. I can stay at this hotel for 89.50EUR/night. (Thu,Fri). I'm a little confused by the location, when I use google maps street view I can't seem to find it. Also, its a few blocks from the station, I'm wondering if I'll have trouble with my bags. They have wheels though.

Alternatively, I can stay at the HIX Messe 80EUR/night. I think there's a bus.
I could stay at the intercontinental, but thats 114.50EUR/night. Alot more expensive. I don't need anything too fancy, just clean, not too old.
It is extremely easy to find and very convenient to walk. We had four pieces of Rimowa luggage and they rolled wonderfully through the Muenchener Strasse to the escalator that brought us down into the subway station and shopping mall before going up again and entering Hauptbahnhof. Nothing to worry, we recommend it. Maximum 10 minutes walk, if that long. We had also stayed at Messe once, much more complicated, further away and the rooms are not as nice.
Old Jul 5, 2014, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by eng3
I'm a little confused by the location, when I use google maps street view I can't seem to find it.
The reason you cannot find it is because Google mapped this location in 2008.
It will pop up as "Elb-Hof", a hotel that was situated at the HIX location before.
The HIX looks the same from the outside and now their name is on the building.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 5:48 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by EXLEFTSEAT
The reason you cannot find it is because Google mapped this location in 2008.
It will pop up as "Elb-Hof", a hotel that was situated at the HIX location before.
The HIX looks the same from the outside and now their name is on the building.
Ah, that explains it, Thanks!
Old May 31, 2017, 3:19 am
Marriott 10+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LT Gold, IHG Gold, BAEC Silver, TP Silver
Nothing wrong but there are better options around

Holiday Inn Express Frankfurt City Hauptbahnhof

Elbestrasse 7 Frankfurt, DE 60329

Nothing wrong but there are better options around (11 Photos)

Holiday Inn Express Frankfurt City Hauptbahnhof

On a missiong for my Q2 2017 Accelerate challenges so I booked a night at the Holiday Inn Express Frankfurt City because the location suited me. I stayed the previous night at the nearby Le Meridien and for almost the same rate, I'd pick Le Meridien without hesitations!

Just going to repeat what has already been said. Near the main station, walking distance to all the city center spots (I never took public transport), in a very mixed neighborhood with Asian Oriental Middle Eastern shops and reastaurants as well as the so called Red Light District. Not dangerous or seedy at all though. It's perfectly safe and nice. Try those nearby restaurants, good and cheap!

3_FullSizeRender.jpg

4_FullSizeRender_1.jpg

Check In

Checked-in in the afternoon. The staff was friendly but to be honest, they displayed a bit of a "I don't really care about you" attitude. Nothing bad but a bit more attention would be appreciated, even if it's "just" an HIX  :)

They told me the WiFi was not working very well that weekend and that they were doing their best to fix it. Well it was not fixed. It was on and off... and not that fast.

You need the keycard to call the elevator. And once on your floor, you need to waive your card once again at the main door to enter the room section, so it's pretty safe.

2_FullSizeRender_2.jpg

IMG_0072.JPG

3_FullSizeRender_8.jpg

1_FullSizeRender_9.jpg

You can see that these IHG Rewards Club rooms are bigger when looking at the floor plan. Must be those rooms that they "upgrade" their Plat members into.

Room

Overall size of the room is good for one person or even two. Big bed but it was way too soft. Not sure if it was the mattress or the frame.... but I don't like beds that "sink" when you sit on them.

Room is a bit on a dark side with those huge dark blue curtains running from floor to ceiling. Strange enough, I was on the 2nd floor only but it seems that the window wall is slanted as you can see on the picture. I would expect this kind of slanted roofs when located on top floors.

Small flat screen TV, kettle with coffee powder and teas, nice bathroom that looks clean and new.

Only one plug on the bed side though. Wish there was one on each side.

2_FullSizeRender_3.jpg

3_FullSizeRender_4.jpg

2_FullSizeRender_7.jpg

3_FullSizeRender_5.jpg

3_FullSizeRender_6.jpg

Dining

As usual breakfast was included in the rate but I didn't take it there. The breakfast area is right next to the lobby. It was quite busy at 7AM when I checked out. The seats were so uncomfortable there... used a seat for a few minutes while waiting for a friend and they were hard as rocks, despite them being covered with fabric.

Overall

As said at the beginning, it's a good hotel, good location but for the rate I paid, I would stay at the nearby Le Meridien instead which runs for similar rates.

Nothing wrong but there are better options around

Would you like to write a review on the Holiday Inn Express Frankfurt City Hauptbahnhof?

No, thank you.
Yes

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.