Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador
Reload this Page >

IHG Account Terminated (after registering for several promotion codes)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 24, 2014, 2:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: soitgoes
IHG Account Termination Fact Summary

1) IHG has been terminating accounts due to abuse since approximately 2010 (#244).

2) IHG account terminations happen suddenly and without warning. If your account is terminated, you will not be able to login. You will have to call customer service, who will either reinstate your account and warn you, or refer your case to another office, in which case your account is probably permamently closed.

3) No one except for IHG knows exactly what the trigger for account cancellation is. The reason given is usually excessive use of promo codes. In the past, it was thought that most of the people who got their accounts canceled was due to either selling points or excessive point break bookings, but it appears that mere registration of promo codes now can sometimes trigger a cancellation.

Who has gotten their account terminated?

(If you, or someone you know has got their account terminated, please list your username here, and reference the post you made on this thread).

bgmike (#1)
lcpteck (#5)
DavidAL - father - (#85)
Dolphinyong - friend - (#155)
Bakkie (#180)
Tim O'Brien (#187) reinstated
chongcao - good summary, esp. of events from flyertea forum (#244)
soitgoes (#262) deactivated temporarily; reactivated after phone call
travelismylife - brother inlaw - (#329)

Also, LoyaltyLobby has a number of data points in the comment thread.

FlyerTea (a Chinese site) also has a number of data points.

What do we know about terminations

1) The usual reason IHG gives is non-targeted promo code usage. We don't know which promo codes IHG considers invalid, although IHG told Bakke (#180), that he used a code that was supposed to be for platinum members when he was not.

2) Status does not matter. Gold members, Platinum members, even RAs have all had their account terminated.

3) Credit card does not matter. Some people terminated did not have the IHG Chase card, some did, for more than 3 years (#329).

4) Stay history does not matter. Some people had their accounts terminated before any stay, some had their accounts terminated after one stay that accrued many points, and some had a history of lot of paid stays.

5) Termination usually doesn't cause a loss of booked nights. Apparently, even though your points are gone, any nights reserved stay booked in the system.

6) Some account terminations are caused by calling customer service on incorrectly credited nights. A number of people who had their accounts terminated called in on a stay that posted as non-qualifying, only to have their account cancelled shortly thereafter.

IHG Terms and Conditions downloadable PDF, including:

4. Membership Cancellation. SCH reserves the right to cancel any IHG®Rewards Club membership and revoke any and all unredeemed IHG® Rewards Club points collected by any member for reasons that include, but are not limited to: 1) violation of these Terms and Conditions; 2) misrepresentation of any information or any misuse of this Program; 3) violation of any national, state or local law or regulation in connection with the use of membership privileges; 4) failure to pay for hotel charges; 5) a check to a participating hotel brand that is returned for insufficient funds or is invalid for any reason; 6) commission of fraud or abuse involving any portion of this Program; 7) more than one active account per member; or 8) physical, verbal, or written abuse of hotel or IHG personnel; or 9) action, in any other way, to the detriment of the Program or any of its alliances; all as may be determined by SCH in its sole discretion.
Print Wikipost

IHG Account Terminated (after registering for several promotion codes)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2014, 4:57 pm

Programs: Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
I wrote last week to Mr Lawyer in response to the message I have posted previously on this thread, here is the reply I just received.

Dear Mr. Valdor,

Thank you for your email. We appreciate your concern for this matter.

After reviewing the activity on your account, we will be unable to reopen your account # XXXXXXXXX due to the ineligible promotions which you had registered, nor return the points that were issued to that account. However, as a one-time goodwill gesture, we have created a new Rewards Club account # XXXXXXXXX under your name. Your temporary PIN is XXXX. Please log into this account and change this PIN as soon as you are able.

Please note that future violations will be considered fraudulent by IHG Rewards Club. As stated in the terms and conditions of the program, this can lead up to termination of your IHG Rewards Club account, including any points accrued and any status earned on the account. Also, such transgressions can lead up to the loss of the ability to participate in the program by any means in the future.

We understand that unintended mistakes and misunderstandings can occur, and this is the reason for us sending a kind reminder. Please ensure in the future that you are only enrolling in promotions specific to your region that you are eligible for and for promotions sent specifically to you based on your eligibility. Please familiarize yourself with the terms and conditions of IHG Rewards Club atwww.ihg.com/rewardsclub, and ensure that you review the terms, conditions, and requirements of every promotion prior to your enrollment or participation.

Thank you for your loyal patronage and for continuing to comply with the terms and conditions of the IHG Rewards Club program. We look forward to meeting your future lodging needs and remaining your preferred choice in hospitality.

Best regards,

Michael Lawyer | Executive Liaison
I just logged into the new account and obviously I'm not a platinum member anymore, not very happy about this. What do you guys think?
Old Nov 29, 2014, 5:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: CX DM, SQ TPP, QF GO LIFE, OZ*G LIFE, Marriott TIT LIFE, WOH GLOBALIST LIFE, HH DM, BA GO LIFE
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by valdor
I wrote last week to Mr Lawyer in response to the message I have posted previously on this thread, here is the reply I just received.

I just logged into the new account and obviously I'm not a platinum member anymore, not very happy about this. What do you guys think?
Why do you even both with them anymore. Move on to other hotel loyalty programme if they treated you with such humiliation. This is what I think of IHG
Old Nov 29, 2014, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres

Well, in your prior post you related his earlier letter - in which he gave you his work hours and phone number to call. Did you really expect him to back down and reinstate your points or were you hoping for something smaller like Platinum status going forward?

Comes down to what you're asking for I guess.
Old Nov 29, 2014, 8:04 pm

Programs: Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by fireworksboy
Well, in your prior post you related his earlier letter - in which he gave you his work hours and phone number to call. Did you really expect him to back down and reinstate your points or were you hoping for something smaller like Platinum status going forward?

Comes down to what you're asking for I guess.
I wrote to him asking for my account to be reinstated and my legitimate points to be returned. I told him he can take away the points he feel I acquired through untargeted promos. That was reasonable or so I thought. I have no interest in staying in their hotels going forward, I just wanted to get the points I bought with actual cash days before my account was canned.
Old Nov 29, 2014, 9:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: SQ TPPS, EK Gold, IHG RA, Marriott Gold Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Gold, UA Premier Gold, TG Silver

Sounds like a magnanimous gesture on their part.
Old Nov 29, 2014, 10:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I wrote to him asking for my account to be reinstated and my legitimate points to be returned. I told him he can take away the points he feel I acquired through untargeted promos. That was reasonable or so I thought. I have no interest in staying in their hotels going forward, I just wanted to get the points I bought with actual cash days before my account was canned.
I think that your expectations were far too high. There isn't really any other avenue to address the issue other than with this person amd it seems that he has agreed to provide a new account and allow you to participate in the scheme in the future

Up to you to decide whether you want to use the account
Old Nov 30, 2014, 12:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
We understand that unintended mistakes and misunderstandings can occur, and this is the reason for us sending a kind reminder.
what reminder????
Old Nov 30, 2014, 1:06 am

Programs: Amex Centurion
this is the reason for us sending a kind reminder.
"Kind"....what's kind about it?
Old Nov 30, 2014, 1:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think that you should write a letter to someone higher-up, and explain the amount of business that you will be taking elsewhere until your points and status are re-instated. Be sure to include both the number of nights and the total cost of those nights, over the last n years.

You should also explain that you found Mr Lawyer's response to be very insulting (include a copy of it in the letter). Suggest that their customer service people be trained to understand that they are not doing you a favor by allowing you to give them business, but, rather, it's the other way around.
Old Nov 30, 2014, 1:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How many points are we talking about here?

If it's in the hundreds of thousands, you should consider a small claims court
lawsuit. Value the points at whatever they sell them for. Accuse them of acting fraudulently by accepting your payment for the points and then immediately confiscating them.
Old Nov 30, 2014, 5:52 am

I have no interest in staying in their hotels going forward, I just wanted to get the points I bought with actual cash days before my account was canned.
You could always protest the charge with your credit card. That should get ihg's attention.
Old Nov 30, 2014, 9:08 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Do not dispute the charge (if you still can). When IHG corporate security documents the activity to the CC issuer, get the CC shut down as well. No bank wants this kind of customer. Talk about making a small matter worse.

This thing is over and done with. Nobody at IHG is going to overrule Mr. Lawyer and IHG's willingness to reinstate an account (not the account) is simply a way of guaging the desperation people feel.

The simple metrics here are a judgment by IHG that it is an unprofitable relationship, so it has been terminated and then reinstated at a level which IHG believes profitable. You can bet that the new account will be monitored like a hawk.
Old Nov 30, 2014, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
I'm curious about how many of you got your accounts terminated and are willing to start over and keep staying at IHG?

IHG used to be great with the ability to earn points and get free nights. Now that stacking codes that you aren't eligible for is a big no-no, I'm not sure how much value IHG is anymore.

Their elite program still is weak compared to other properties, and I still think RA benefits have been watered down not making pushing for RA worth it anymore.
Old Nov 30, 2014, 4:36 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by VegasGambler

On the other hand, IHG did accept his payment for points, with no intention of giving him those points. That is clearly fraud.
this would be only if the dept that sells the pts and the dept that was doing the audit each made known to the other what they were up to(personally I doubt that was the case). Most likely the dept auditing the acct doesnt put any mention of what they are doing anywhere. So when a purchase for pts is made that dept has no reason not to sell them or postpone the sale

Now if say a person received 50,000 pts from inputing codes that they shouldnt have and purchased 100,000 pts then Id say they should be refunded for the price of 50k in pts. If it was viceversa and they purchased less pts then they got from using codes then they shouldnt have any refund.
Old Nov 30, 2014, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

@VegasGambler: I only had about 35000 points in the account when it was closed. All the points came from a stay in Singapore on a rate that included bonus points for every night. Not worth fighting in court for that as the rate was only a few dollars above the best flexible rate.
Yeah, I have to agree, 35k pts are not worth much and are not worth fighting for. IHG is losing a lot more in this exchange than you are. Honestly, for 35k pts, I would not even have taken this as far as you have (I thought you meant that you actually bought pts outright, not booked a bonus pts rate). Still, once you've come this far, I think it's worth sending one last letter.

In case you're wondering:

IHG USA Corporate Office Headquarters
InterContinental Hotels Group
3 Ravinia Drive Suite 100
Atlanta, GA 30346-2149 USA

Making it out to an actual person at IHG, mailed to that address, will probably get to them. From this list: http://www.ihgplc.com/index.asp?pageid=249 I'd probably address it to Ricardo Lopez, Vice President, Strategy, The Americas. I think that you were treated unreasonably and rudely, and it's important that the execs realize how poor the customer care is, and how much business it's costing them.

In the letter, I'd say how many nights per year you used to stay at IHG, and how much you spent on them. Say that your account was closed, your points (some of which you paid for) were confiscated, and you were accused of committing fraud because you used some promotional codes that you found online. Include a copy of the letter that you received from Mr Lawyer. Say that you do not feel that this is an appropriate way to treat customers, and you don't plan to stay at IHG hotels any more unless something is done to rectify the situation.

You're probably less than 50/50 to ever get a reply, but after all the time that you've put into this, you can probably do this in another 30 minutes or less, then forget about it and move on to another hotel chain.

That would be my approach, anyway.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.