Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > InterContinental Hotels | IHG Rewards Club and Intercontinental Ambassador
Reload this Page >

IHG Account Terminated (after registering for several promotion codes)

IHG Account Terminated (after registering for several promotion codes)

Hide Wikipost
Old Mar 8, 15, 5:34 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: soitgoes
Wiki Link
IHG Account Termination Fact Summary

1) IHG has been terminating accounts due to abuse since approximately 2010 (#244).

2) IHG account terminations happen suddenly and without warning. If your account is terminated, you will not be able to login. You will have to call customer service, who will either reinstate your account and warn you, or refer your case to another office, in which case your account is probably permamently closed.

3) No one except for IHG knows exactly what the trigger for account cancellation is. The reason given is usually excessive use of promo codes. In the past, it was thought that most of the people who got their accounts canceled was due to either selling points or excessive point break bookings, but it appears that mere registration of promo codes now can sometimes trigger a cancellation.

Who has gotten their account terminated?

(If you, or someone you know has got their account terminated, please list your username here, and reference the post you made on this thread).

bgmike (#1)
lcpteck (#5)
DavidAL - father - (#85)
Dolphinyong - friend - (#155)
Bakkie (#180)
Tim O'Brien (#187) reinstated
chongcao - good summary, esp. of events from flyertea forum (#244)
soitgoes (#262) deactivated temporarily; reactivated after phone call
travelismylife - brother inlaw - (#329)

Also, LoyaltyLobby has a number of data points in the comment thread.

FlyerTea (a Chinese site) also has a number of data points.

What do we know about terminations

1) The usual reason IHG gives is non-targeted promo code usage. We don't know which promo codes IHG considers invalid, although IHG told Bakke (#180), that he used a code that was supposed to be for platinum members when he was not.

2) Status does not matter. Gold members, Platinum members, even RAs have all had their account terminated.

3) Credit card does not matter. Some people terminated did not have the IHG Chase card, some did, for more than 3 years (#329).

4) Stay history does not matter. Some people had their accounts terminated before any stay, some had their accounts terminated after one stay that accrued many points, and some had a history of lot of paid stays.

5) Termination usually doesn't cause a loss of booked nights. Apparently, even though your points are gone, any nights reserved stay booked in the system.

6) Some account terminations are caused by calling customer service on incorrectly credited nights. A number of people who had their accounts terminated called in on a stay that posted as non-qualifying, only to have their account cancelled shortly thereafter.

IHG Terms and Conditions downloadable PDF, including:

4. Membership Cancellation. SCH reserves the right to cancel any IHG®Rewards Club membership and revoke any and all unredeemed IHG® Rewards Club points collected by any member for reasons that include, but are not limited to: 1) violation of these Terms and Conditions; 2) misrepresentation of any information or any misuse of this Program; 3) violation of any national, state or local law or regulation in connection with the use of membership privileges; 4) failure to pay for hotel charges; 5) a check to a participating hotel brand that is returned for insufficient funds or is invalid for any reason; 6) commission of fraud or abuse involving any portion of this Program; 7) more than one active account per member; or 8) physical, verbal, or written abuse of hotel or IHG personnel; or 9) action, in any other way, to the detriment of the Program or any of its alliances; all as may be determined by SCH in its sole discretion.
Print Wikipost

Old Sep 25, 14, 11:14 am

Programs: Priority Club Platinum
Is this termination still happening?

Ive got 2 missing stays, one is down as non qualifying, one is down as "overlapping stay" which I havent seen before and im a bit wary of ringing up to get the points / nights for into the nights promo if they then cancel my account. I had three nights in Holiday Inn Birmingham CC, but they were seperate reservations as my work plans changed. I challenged the hotel and they said it was an error but they couldnt fix it only customer service could

I havent used a code not sent to me for at least six months because id seen this thread
Old Sep 25, 14, 12:24 pm

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott P, IHG P
Originally Posted by JMC2 View Post
No idea. Maybe IHG Care can comment on this
Old Sep 25, 14, 6:13 pm

Programs: IHG, RC, HH, AA, QF, UA, Aeroplan
Originally Posted by JMC2 View Post

Ive got 2 missing stays, one is down as non qualifying, one is down as "overlapping stay" which I havent seen before and im a bit wary of ringing up to get the points / nights for into the nights promo if they then cancel my account. I had three nights in Holiday Inn Birmingham CC, but they were seperate reservations as my work plans changed. I challenged the hotel and they said it was an error but they couldnt fix it only customer service could

I havent used a code not sent to me for at least six months because id seen this thread
i think you'd be fine, i wouldn't be concerned with calling IHG
Old Oct 19, 14, 3:37 am

sooo i just made an IHG account and then signed up for these...and then i saw this thread! should i just scrap this IHG account and make a new one? i have a stay coming up on nov 10 and was about to apply for the IHG chase card.

if i make a new account, can i use any codes at all or just dont risk it?

New Stay Bonus – 4040 (1500 points)
Anniversary Bonus – 8000 (1000 points)
New Member Bonus – 9944 (3000 points)
Gold Bonus - 8301 (1000 points)
Platinum Bonus - 8317 (5000 points) <-- if i get the chase IHG card that puts me at platinum elite status, will i get these 5k points too?
Weekend Stay Bonus - 6796 (? points)
Book With Us - 5147 (4000 points)
Old Oct 19, 14, 3:47 am

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by deyainrdy4ds View Post
sooo i just made an IHG account and then signed up for these...and then i saw this thread! should i just scrap this IHG account and make a new one? i have a stay coming up on nov 10 and was about to apply for the IHG chase card.

Platinum Bonus - 8317 (5000 points) <-- if i get the chase IHG card that puts me at platinum elite status, will i get these 5k points too?
scrapit. reports of people even being killed off before a first stay. And IHG updated t+c's in 3Q14 to state all this along with the prmo code entry page warnings.

Saying abandon (there is no cancel option) because if you will load with points from elsewhere, eg CC offer, you'll lose both account and CC points.
Doesn't really matter if you lose account with a few K's points earned from a)paid stay b)unentitled promos

And no, if loading with CC points, don't try the codes, it looks like IHG have something in place to spot new accounts earning multiple unentirled/non-targetted promo bonus's on a first (or early) stay.

You should sign up for more nights 4Q14 promo though as a new account you should have easy track to 2x free nights. That promo is generalised open to all, but with requirements tailored to stay history, the more stay, the worse the promo targets IHG sets for you.

Last edited by scubaccr; Oct 19, 14 at 3:53 am
Old Oct 19, 14, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres

I understand how you could sign up for a new acct and not seen this thread. I get that. But after reading the thread, you still feel the need to ask? I don't get it. Currently, you've got nothing at risk and there's zero penalty to starting over - that's the safe way and only way to protect any earning your about to put together.

Bottom line is only risk (register for codes that weren't specifically sent to you) a point balance you're willing to lose.

After all that, you still want to register for new codes with a second acct? Really? Just feel lucky that you're timing couldn't have been better and move on. As someone said above, register for the national promo, you should get some pretty easy hurdles and point earning.

Skirting the system and earning points thru gaming the lack of controls at ihg are over. Unfortunately.
Old Oct 19, 14, 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by scubaccr View Post
scrapit. reports of people even being killed off before a first stay. And IHG updated t+c's in 3Q14 to state all this along with the prmo code entry page warnings.

Saying abandon (there is no cancel option) because if you will load with points from elsewhere, eg CC offer, you'll lose both account and CC points.
Doesn't really matter if you lose account with a few K's points earned from a)paid stay b)unentitled promos

And no, if loading with CC points, don't try the codes, it looks like IHG have something in place to spot new accounts earning multiple unentirled/non-targetted promo bonus's on a first (or early) stay.

You should sign up for more nights 4Q14 promo though as a new account you should have easy track to 2x free nights. That promo is generalised open to all, but with requirements tailored to stay history, the more stay, the worse the promo targets IHG sets for you.
thanks decided to just scrap that account and make a new one...applied and approved for the card with the new IHG number in the application and not gunna try messing with the promo codes lol so tempting though!
Old Oct 19, 14, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres
lol so tempting though!
It's only tempting until you have something worth losing in your acct.
Old Oct 20, 14, 4:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
i think my cousin may be in the same boat as others who have had their accounts terminated....

he is not a frequent traveler & probably ends up spending 4-5 nights a year in hotels....earlier this month he had a work trip & needed a hotel for one night....i told him to open up an ihg account & to sign up for all the promos here on ft....he did so & completed his one night stay a couple of weeks ago....

last week he found out that he needs to travel again to the same location for another night so he tried to log on to his account to book at the same hotel again but he kept getting an error message....he thought there may be some problem with his computer so he asked me to book the stay for him....i tried logging on to his account & it gave me the following error message:

Your IHG® Rewards Club account status is currently unavailable.
a few days with the same problem & i asked his to write to customer service....this is the response he got yesterday:

Dear Mr. ________,

Thank you for contacting IHG Rewards Club regarding your account. We appreciate the opportunity to assist you.

Please be advised that your account is in random audit. IHG Rewards Club conducts random audits every now and then to all IHG Rewards Club Accounts on the system. This is to ensure maximum system efficiency. Random audit is just like the usual check on IHG Rewards Club accounts chosen by the system randomly. During the audit, accounts being checked are set aside and studied, meaning, no activities should be made in the account for a specified period of time. At that time, we cannot activate the account until further notice from our Fraud team. We hope this clarifies your query.

We apologize for any inconvenience this issue may have caused you as we value your patronage. Should you require further assistance, please feel free to contact the IHG Rewards Club Service Center again.

Sincerely,
they haven't told him that his account is closed....just that its being audited for fraud....the only reason i can think of is that he signed up for all the codes here on ft....either way, it doesn't make a difference to him since his travel is extremely limited & he doesn't care much about frequent flyer programs....he said he is not even going to write to them again....but now i'm really interested to see how this plays out....
Old Oct 21, 14, 4:57 am

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott P, IHG P
That's ridiculous, I can't believe that they 'freeze' your account just like that.
Old Oct 22, 14, 2:02 am

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
I've only read the first and last pages of this thread, so apologies if I've missed a crucial point...

As far as I understand it, the whole point of a loyalty program is to keep customers buying your product or service.

I also completely get suspending or closing loyalty accounts where there is clear evidence of fraud (as it would be understood in the legal sense) or a flagrant breach of the scheme rules (e.g. selling points etc.).

However, I am not at all comfortable with the concept of penalising people for taking advantage of promotions where the terms don't explicitly exclude them. It smacks of sharp practice, especially as the points total has an explicit Euro value.

And short of hitting customers with a stick as they walk into the hotel, I can't think of any action more likely to put customers off ever staying in an Accor property again !
Old Oct 22, 14, 2:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by njf63 View Post

I also completely get suspending or closing loyalty accounts where there is clear evidence of fraud (as it would be understood in the legal sense) or a flagrant breach of the scheme rules (e.g. selling points etc.).
It is clearly in the T&Cs now that it is a breach

Originally Posted by T&C
POINTS FROM PROMOTIONS

1.IHG® Rewards Club may offer limited-time promotions that offer bonus points and/or partner credits. These promotions are governed by Membership Terms & Conditions but may have additional Terms & Conditions specific to the individual promotion. Many of these promotions are only available to IHG® Rewards Club members who receive a specific, targeted communication from IHG. Registration for a targeted offer for which you are not invited to participate is not permitted. Doing so is a program violation and may result in the freezing of your account, the forfeiture of all of your point transfers, rewards, vouchers, or merchandise issued pursuant to point redemptions and any accrued points or miles in your account, as well as cancellation of the account and your future participation in the Program.
How could IHG make it any more clear?
Old Oct 22, 14, 2:16 am

Programs: QF Gold, VA Plat, IHG Plat Amb, LCAH Gold, Hilton Diamond
However, I am not at all comfortable with the concept of penalising people for taking advantage of promotions where the terms don't explicitly exclude them. It smacks of sharp practice, especially as the points total has an explicit Euro value.
Having had a look at emails from a couple of years ago, most of them included a term similar to "This exclusive offer is valid for original recipient only."

And short of hitting customers with a stick as they walk into the hotel, I can't think of any action more likely to put customers off ever staying in an Accor property again !

What's it got to do with Accor?
Old Oct 22, 14, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nacho View Post
That's ridiculous, I can't believe that they 'freeze' your account just like that.
What would convince you? You could always enter the promo codes yourself...
Old Oct 22, 14, 10:07 am

Programs: IHG, RC, HH, AA, QF, UA, Aeroplan
Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post
It is clearly in the T&Cs now that it is a breach

How could IHG make it any more clear?
it's just a pity, they didn't stop disseminating their bonus codes so widely (as a long held marketing strategy), including on their own websites, and announce their change in strategy and T&C before doing what they did, unilaterally closing accounts with no communication etc, IHG has a history of this type of behavior, and again just recently over their stuff up of the app bookings in their ITN promo. The apologies and reversal of policy in the latter example took time.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: