Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador
Reload this Page >

IHG Account Terminated (after registering for several promotion codes)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 24, 2014, 2:19 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: soitgoes
IHG Account Termination Fact Summary

1) IHG has been terminating accounts due to abuse since approximately 2010 (#244).

2) IHG account terminations happen suddenly and without warning. If your account is terminated, you will not be able to login. You will have to call customer service, who will either reinstate your account and warn you, or refer your case to another office, in which case your account is probably permamently closed.

3) No one except for IHG knows exactly what the trigger for account cancellation is. The reason given is usually excessive use of promo codes. In the past, it was thought that most of the people who got their accounts canceled was due to either selling points or excessive point break bookings, but it appears that mere registration of promo codes now can sometimes trigger a cancellation.

Who has gotten their account terminated?

(If you, or someone you know has got their account terminated, please list your username here, and reference the post you made on this thread).

bgmike (#1)
lcpteck (#5)
DavidAL - father - (#85)
Dolphinyong - friend - (#155)
Bakkie (#180)
Tim O'Brien (#187) reinstated
chongcao - good summary, esp. of events from flyertea forum (#244)
soitgoes (#262) deactivated temporarily; reactivated after phone call
travelismylife - brother inlaw - (#329)

Also, LoyaltyLobby has a number of data points in the comment thread.

FlyerTea (a Chinese site) also has a number of data points.

What do we know about terminations

1) The usual reason IHG gives is non-targeted promo code usage. We don't know which promo codes IHG considers invalid, although IHG told Bakke (#180), that he used a code that was supposed to be for platinum members when he was not.

2) Status does not matter. Gold members, Platinum members, even RAs have all had their account terminated.

3) Credit card does not matter. Some people terminated did not have the IHG Chase card, some did, for more than 3 years (#329).

4) Stay history does not matter. Some people had their accounts terminated before any stay, some had their accounts terminated after one stay that accrued many points, and some had a history of lot of paid stays.

5) Termination usually doesn't cause a loss of booked nights. Apparently, even though your points are gone, any nights reserved stay booked in the system.

6) Some account terminations are caused by calling customer service on incorrectly credited nights. A number of people who had their accounts terminated called in on a stay that posted as non-qualifying, only to have their account cancelled shortly thereafter.

IHG Terms and Conditions downloadable PDF, including:

4. Membership Cancellation. SCH reserves the right to cancel any IHG®Rewards Club membership and revoke any and all unredeemed IHG® Rewards Club points collected by any member for reasons that include, but are not limited to: 1) violation of these Terms and Conditions; 2) misrepresentation of any information or any misuse of this Program; 3) violation of any national, state or local law or regulation in connection with the use of membership privileges; 4) failure to pay for hotel charges; 5) a check to a participating hotel brand that is returned for insufficient funds or is invalid for any reason; 6) commission of fraud or abuse involving any portion of this Program; 7) more than one active account per member; or 8) physical, verbal, or written abuse of hotel or IHG personnel; or 9) action, in any other way, to the detriment of the Program or any of its alliances; all as may be determined by SCH in its sole discretion.
Print Wikipost

IHG Account Terminated (after registering for several promotion codes)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2014, 9:25 am

Programs: UA 1k, AA Exec Plt 2MM, HH Diamond, *wood Gold, disgruntled Amex Ex-Centurion
Wow. After going through about half the thread, I do not feel encouraged in investing any more money and nights into IHG. There are alternatives. My personal situation: I am Platinum, have not received a single promotion email since 2011 and not entered any Promo codes. Since I do not show any of the other "high risk" behaviors, I should be fairly safe.

But why should I do business with a company that acts as capriciously and unfairly as IHG?

I currently hold Hilton Diamond, Best Western Diamond, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum (to expire), Starwood Gold and Choice Gold. IHG used to be number 2 on my booking preference list - it will certainly go towards the end of that list now.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 10:14 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by colonius
But why should I do business with a company that acts as capriciously and unfairly as IHG?
+ 1 million
Not until they reinstate everyone's accounts and apologize and promise to behave better should anyone consider taking this as a serious loyalty program.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 2:41 pm

Programs: IHG, RC, HH, AA, QF, UA, Aeroplan
Originally Posted by notahappycamper
+ 1 million
Not until they reinstate everyone's accounts and apologize and promise to behave better should anyone consider taking this as a serious loyalty program.
i think there are a lot of unhappy campers no longer camping at IHG properties
Old Jul 21, 2014, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by Tim O'Brien
i think there are a lot of unhappy campers no longer camping at IHG properties
Well, I happily camp at IHG properties for weeks at a time whenever they're included in the 5,000/night lollapaloozas. But not in suites.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 3:20 pm

My personal situation: I am Platinum, have not received a single promotion email since 2011
I was platinum for 4 years before receiving any emails, now I get 2 per week. I think I have been emailed most of the codes I already used this year.

About to start many points stays, hope it all works out.

My rural US work travel only suits IHG, Carlson, Best Western and Choice. Don't want to switch, IHG works best.

Last edited by short_black; Jul 21, 2014 at 3:26 pm
Old Jul 21, 2014, 5:30 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
+1 SEAfarer #541 & Tim O'Brien #543! It is idiotically contradictory to sell points for cash while the T&Cs state that they have no cash value AND that "earning" points is a figure of speech where we do not "earn" them in the Standard English meaning of the word "earn!"
Old Jul 22, 2014, 3:53 am

Programs: SPG,HH,IHG
did you lose many points, what did they have to say when you contacted them?
I didn't lose my points.

IMO, I will not make account at risk and terminate.
I am always worried when entering promo code is not funny.

Poor customer service and Poor BRG system have always been a weak point of IHG while promo code is strong point.
Now the good thing has gone, only the bad thing is available for us.
Choosing IHG is totally illogical.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 3:57 am

Programs: SPG,HH,IHG
Thumbs up

I currently hold Hilton Diamond, Best Western Diamond, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum (to expire), Starwood Gold and Choice Gold. IHG used to be number 2 on my booking preference list - it will certainly go towards the end of that list now.
Totally agree
Old Jul 22, 2014, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by nacho
It depends on how 'clean' your are and how many points you have in your account IMO. If you haven't done any BRG, booked PB excessively, stack/used promo code that you are not entitled to, and that you don't have many points in your account, then you have the 'ground' to ask for your missing points.
What exactly does "booked PB excessively" mean? I book a lot of PointBreaks because they are a tremendous value and really my main reason for participating in IHG Rewards.

Plus using them is not "illegal" or even as questionable as using non-targeted codes. So why are accounts being cancelled for excessive PointBreaks use? I don't get it!
Old Jul 22, 2014, 10:32 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
The PointBreak problem seems to have largely been in China where some people were allegedly using scripts to book out the whole PB inventory at a property when the list went live and then reselling those rooms to others.

So PB list before last, a whole bunch of people, including some innocent bystanders, got banned for trying to book PB hotels in China because IHG assumed they were going to resell the rooms after booking.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by nacho
If it was me, I'll try whatever to cancel them, since they don't want me as a customer I don't have to pay $ to them.
I'd send them a snailmail certified letter canceling all upcoming reservations and notifying them that any attempt to charge me for no-show would be considered fraudulent. (But it wouldn't matter, because I'd also have canceled the Chase IHG credit card that I used to hold the reservations with, so there's nothing they could charge to.)

Originally Posted by George8052
Exactly!

Problem is a lot of the time they already have it, if pre paid,
I'd demand a refund, on the grounds that I pre-paid for a reservation that included the benefits of my IHG status, and they weren't going to provide those.

Last edited by FLYGVA; Jul 22, 2014 at 11:20 pm Reason: not need for two posts
Old Jul 22, 2014, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by macbravery
What exactly does "booked PB excessively" mean? I book a lot of PointBreaks because they are a tremendous value and really my main reason for participating in IHG Rewards.

Plus using them is not "illegal" or even as questionable as using non-targeted codes. So why are accounts being cancelled for excessive PointBreaks use? I don't get it!
because they have an overly officious audit department, that doesn't understand what their maketing department is doing, really just pathetic management.

Originally Posted by beachmouse
The PointBreak problem seems to have largely been in China where some people were allegedly using scripts to book out the whole PB inventory at a property when the list went live and then reselling those rooms to others.

So PB list before last, a whole bunch of people, including some innocent bystanders, got banned for trying to book PB hotels in China because IHG assumed they were going to resell the rooms after booking.
IHG management has been doing a lot of assuming, and really offending many of their loyal customers, just crazy stuff, they cancelled my adult daughter's and son's account just because they reside at the same address

and they punish customers because of the decisions their properties make, and are in control of.

Last edited by Tim O'Brien; Jul 22, 2014 at 11:34 pm Reason: no need for two posts, we have multiquote
Old Jul 22, 2014, 2:19 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
and they punish customers because of the decisions their properties make, and are in control of.
I beg to disagree, but IHG Rewards club have no control over the franchised properties they operate. That they cannot even get the hotel operators to agree a basic level of commitment to honouring published benefits is testament to that.

The inconsistencies in reward club benefits is matched only by the inconsistencies of their customer service department.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by HarryHolden68
I beg to disagree, but IHG Rewards club have no control over the franchised properties they operate. That they cannot even get the hotel operators to agree a basic level of commitment to honouring published benefits is testament to that.

The inconsistencies in reward club benefits is matched only by the inconsistencies of their customer service department.
they have extensive contractual obligations to each other, from the customer's perspective, their franchised properties are IHG, their employees are IHG employees, when say for example, they process a BOGO, that is IHG in control of accepting and processing the BOGO.

+1^
Old Jul 22, 2014, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by carpentry4thought
I suppose pretension could be tied to a state of mind as well. What's your point?
My point is that your doubts about other people's future behavior, which even they have not yet decided on (and, in some cases, not yet seen any basis on which to act) are completely irrelevant to the reality of their actions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.