Recommendations for Houston IHG hotels?

Old Feb 27, 2014, 7:24 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
Recommendations for Houston IHG hotels?

Any recommendations for Houston IHG hotels? I'll be there on a weekend in May. I am hoping for a place with an executive lounge and/or free breakfast, and is conveniently located in the heart of the city.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 11:48 am

Programs: BA Silver, ICH Plat, Club Carlson G, SAS S
Originally Posted by agp423
Any recommendations for Houston IHG hotels? I'll be there on a weekend in May. I am hoping for a place with an executive lounge and/or free breakfast, and is conveniently located in the heart of the city.
we stayed at hi-ex bell street for last otc, and had free breakfast, Jacuzzi and pool, with fitness centre all on site, and right across road from Hilton and Sheraton four points so bang central if that helps
Old Feb 27, 2014, 7:16 pm

Houston is huge and sprawling. Knowing what you would like to be near would make a big difference in any suggestion. Also what type of hotel are you looking for? For the size of the city it's kind of surprising that Houston doesn't have an IC if you are a fan that brand.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 7:54 pm

I just glanced at your first post, so I missed some important information. The Crowne Plaza Suites on the southwest freeway is pretty nice and it has some good bonus packages with a 5k bonus points plus breakfast package and a 10k bonus point package. It's inside the beltway and depending where downtown, you can can get there in 15 to 20 mins. For the most part, I have never considered Houston a walking friendly city, although that's probably because I spend so much time outside of the beltway when I visit.

Last edited by InHere; Feb 27, 2014 at 8:12 pm
Old Feb 28, 2014, 1:07 am

Programs: VA Plat, QF LTS, UA MM, Hilton Diamond, Rydges Black, ,Le-Club Gold
Originally Posted by agp423
in the heart of the city.
Hmm, Houston hasn't really got a heart. The Galleria is perhaps better than downtown for leisure. However, IHG doesn't have a good offering there - the IC is ok but it's a tricky location with an almost permanent traffic-jam on the approach road. [Oops- the IC is closed down now that Dick Cheyney is no longer filling it with political functions.]

The CP Southwest is nice enough but it's a rough area, don't go walking around there at night.

Bear in mind it may be close to 100 degrees in May, you might want to drive out of town for the weekend - San Antonio or Austin perhaps?

Last edited by harryhv; Feb 28, 2014 at 8:15 pm
Old Feb 28, 2014, 1:43 am

Originally Posted by harryhv
the IC is ok but it's a tricky location with an almost permanent traffic-jam on the approach road.
Where's the IC
Old Feb 28, 2014, 4:52 am

Programs: DL PM - IC RA - HHonors Gold - Hertz Gold - AA - US - CO - Choice Privileges
Originally Posted by InHere
Where's the IC
IC Houston, closed!

Hotel Indigo Houston At The Galleria

The original poster has never visited Houston as the word "convenient" is not used to describe Houston...
Old Mar 1, 2014, 10:16 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, 2MM; Hilton Diamond; IC Spire Ambassador
I agree with the posters who said that guidance on where in Houston the OP wishes to be near would be helpful. I also agree that the Galleria area is a good place to stay if you're looking for the best place in general.

Sadly, I can confirm that the IC Houston has been closed for a while now. I really liked it despite the traffic on I-610 West at times. I've not stayed at the Hotel Indigo Galleria, but I have stayed at the Crowne Plaza on I-10 near the Galleria. I believe it comes up as Crowne Plaza Galleria on a search. It's a decent hotel with typical comfortable CP rooms. I'm always there over Christmas when the lounge is closed, so I can't comment. The hotel has a new feel, is comfortable and clean, and the location is convenient to the major highways in town.

Good luck!
Old Mar 2, 2014, 5:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Downtown CP is just ok regarding the rooms (small and not that well maintained).
Still service is smiling and restaurant pretty good.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inter...n#post20779566
Old Jan 8, 2015, 3:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by drspear
we stayed at hi-ex bell street for last otc, and had free breakfast, Jacuzzi and pool, with fitness centre all on site, and right across road from Hilton and Sheraton four points so bang central if that helps
which four points????

any recent stays at the holiday inn????i need to be downtown near the harris county courts & this seems to be the closest property....
Old May 9, 2019, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Apologies for digging up this old thread, but I really couldn't find anything property-specific or newer. Does anyone have any experiences with the HIX Downtown/Convention Centre? It's arguably one of the closest hotels to it and definitely the cheapest (much cheaper than the JW or Hilton that are adjacent to the conference centre). I'll try to swing my budget towards those 2, but might be forced to a cheaper choice.

For reference, I'm talking about this property: https://www.ihg.com/holidayinnexpres...cw.ma.ul.ki.va
Old May 10, 2019, 6:06 am

Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat.,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
I stayed there in February.

Pro's
  • Staff is very friendly and try to be helpful
  • Free Managers Reception in the evening including beer.
  • The Rustic restaurant is within walking distance and an okay place for dinner.
Con's
  • Rooms are tired and have a damp musty smell. My colleague went through three different rooms before finding one that was okay. I accepted my first room but it definitely was damp and musty.
  • Area feels a bit depressed and seedy. Take that with a grain of salt. It was my first trip to Houston and I don't know the area well.

Bottom line, for me if I needed to stay in the area again, I would probably try the Marriott Marquis instead. I don't have an alternate IHG suggestion.

--Jon
Old Nov 19, 2023, 11:06 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Stena Gold
Pulling this one from the vaults

I need to be at a conference at Galleria next May, and had booked the Indigo. Unfortunately the hotel has left IHG, which leaves me with the HIE or Staybridge which are nearby, or a couple of Crowne Plazas which are 3 miles away or so. I was not planning to have a car

Anyone stayed at these hotels recently?

Thank you

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.