Wiki Posts
Search

New IHG Elite Benefits for 2014 - Discussion of benefits

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2014, 3:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat
New IHG Elite Benefits for 2014 - Discussion of benefits

Apologize if this has already been posted, BUT.....
This is from the manager at a HI near my home, where we stayed for a couple nights last weekend. Wasn't happy with no Plat recognition, and he sent me this tidbit

"As of March 1, 2014, the Reward perks will be changed and Gold and Platinum members will have a choice of a "free drink" voucher, a "welcome treat bag" or bonus points. As a Platinum member you will get to choose two items and Gold members will get to choose one item."

"The Reward Club perks will be a change for all IHG properties effective March 1. After a period of studies and surveying Reward Club members, IHG decided to make the change and have all hotels offer the same items."
Old Feb 19, 2014, 4:00 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 75K, Bonvoy Titanium
I think I like this change. The free drinks I get at some properties usually go to waste. Getting to choose a welcome gift bag and bonus points would be way more valuable and appreciated.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 4:03 pm

Programs: IC/AMB - Diamond Elite, AC E50K, AA, AM-Onyx, HH-Diamond, BW, Choice - Gold
Several hotels in the US have already been offering 500 IHG Reward points or the choice of a 'treats bag' to platinum members.

The managers were somewhat apologetic about this, as in one case, they used to offer free breakfast to gold and platinum members.

mxm135
Old Feb 19, 2014, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I predict that the properties that currently offer Platinums only one option will need to be re-educated that we get two.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 7:38 pm

Can you just skip the drink and gift bag and just get points x 2 as an option
Old Feb 19, 2014, 7:51 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Stayed at Crown Plaza Newark Airport due to the snowstorm, and they gave 600 points or drink voucher for Platinum, plus 5,000 points if you filled out a review after staying there, and 5,000 points if IHG sent you a survey (which they did). Also get 10% back from IHG credit card. All in all the night cost 7,400 points instead of 20,000.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by yoshapman
Stayed at Crown Plaza Newark Airport due to the snowstorm, and they gave 600 points or drink voucher for Platinum, plus 5,000 points if you filled out a review after staying there, and 5,000 points if IHG sent you a survey (which they did). Also get 10% back from IHG credit card. All in all the night cost 7,400 points instead of 20,000.
I'd definitely count that as a win
Old Feb 19, 2014, 8:19 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by MXM135
Several hotels in the US have already been offering 500 IHG Reward points or the choice of a 'treats bag' to platinum members.
I had stays in Madrid and Vienna the last month and was offered my choice of 500 point vouchers or a free drink. Took the vouchers and entered the info when I got home. Points have posted.
Old Feb 19, 2014, 9:27 pm

Programs: IHG Plat Amb, Accor Plat, Hilton HHonors Gold, Best Western Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, GHA Black
would welcome the change too. The welcome drink varies at locations, some are any selection from the bar menu, whereas others are just juices. Welcome treat Bag and Points voucher seems good =)
Old Feb 19, 2014, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by tom911
I had stays in Madrid and Vienna the last month and was offered my choice of 500 point vouchers or a free drink. Took the vouchers and entered the info when I got home. Points have posted.
I've had a couple of these newfangled stays (although only the points, no drink, too) and the points posted prior to checkout. Clerk at LAX CP said basically, "Just don't go log on in your room now expecting to see them." I had assumed they'd post along with the stay ... if at all.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 4:31 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Am Elite, Best Western Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Rewards Gold
Got several "Bonus Point Vouchers" last year as a platinum, always seemed to be 500 points.

Dropped to Gold and the last voucher issued was only for 300 points!

Anyone else have a similar experience?
Old Feb 20, 2014, 7:02 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
it's based on brand. 600 points at crowne plaza and indigo, 500 at HI and 300 at HIX as far as I am aware.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 7:06 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by BBxCoreb
would welcome the change too. The welcome drink varies at locations, some are any selection from the bar menu, whereas others are just juices. Welcome treat Bag and Points voucher seems good =)
I've often tried to use my voucher for a coffee at the bar and been refused on the basis a coffee wasn't a "soft drink". I could happily have a pint or a spirit, glass of wine... but not a black coffee... normally fixed in a flash via duty manager.

It's nice to have a good coffee from a proper machine rather than the sachets in your room so would also like to see them clarify you can use it for hot drinks too as that would be a far greater benefit for me and avoid the hassle of seeking a manager to overrule the bar staff.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 7:13 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Am Elite, Best Western Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Rewards Gold
Originally Posted by usually sat at the back
it's based on brand. 600 points at crowne plaza and indigo, 500 at HI and 300 at HIX as far as I am aware.
Bonus points vouchers were issued at the same Hotel, so clearly not because of different brands!
Old Feb 20, 2014, 7:16 am

Originally Posted by adobbing
Bonus points vouchers were issued at the same Hotel, so clearly not because of different brands!
Gold/Plat

CP & HI 400/600
HI 300/500
HIX 200/300

I'm in the UK and haven't been to an IC or SB for about a year so can't comment on those two but those are the points vouchers handed out at those four brands if that helps.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.