Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which Hong Kong IHG hotel to stay at?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2014, 12:02 pm
Original Poster

Which Hong Kong IHG hotel to stay at?

I'll be in HKG for three nights in late July with my girlfriend which is the end of my 10 night trip to Asia. We each have a renewal night cert to use for IHG and she has a free night certificate for Hyatt that we want to use. As of now I've booked us into the Hyatt Regency for the first night and the IC HK for the second and third night. I had to book the third night on points for her since her cert doesn't post until April.

Do you all think that's the best plan? The other hotels I really considered were the Hotel Indigo on HK Island, the Crowne Plaza Causeway Bay, and the IC GS. Location wise seems that if I want to do Hyatt Regency which is really close to the IC HK I should stay where I'm at. Also FWIW we won't be arriving until late the first evening and leave early AM for a flight home from HKG at 9AM.

Thus thoughts/opinions on how the IC HK compares to the others I mentioned are appreciated! I don't think it makes sense to use points or cash for stays there as I have the free night certificates.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 4:27 pm

Programs: DL PM - IC RA - HHonors Gold - Hertz Gold - AA - US - CO - Choice Privileges
So confusing...

IHG Ambassador BOGO certificate w/ view of the harbour @ IC HK for two nights over the weekend. IC HK via Chase free night or points results in a standard room without a view of the harbour.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 9:47 pm
Original Poster

Sorry I will be using Chase free nights.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 12:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
i'm looking at a 4 night stay in a couple of months using a combination of points & the chase free night certificate....

i've read the individual property threads here on ft but am still unsure where to stay....i've been to hong kong a number of times but i'm not at all familiar with the city & where what is....

i probably won't be an ra anymore by the time my stay comes around but in any case it seems like you don't get much as an ra on award stays at either ic property in hong kong....with this in mind which property would be best in terms of room & location????i'm leaning towards indigo at the moment....

any suggestions would be appreciated....
Old Feb 22, 2014, 1:48 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, Star Alliance Gold, IHG Platinum
I would prefer the Indigo over the IC. I have to admit that I never stayed at the IC Grand Stanford but I have heard to many bad things especially about their attiude that I don´t think I will be staying there soon. The Indigo seams to be rather fresh and nice.
Old Feb 22, 2014, 6:45 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HHonors Diamond, IHG Uninspired, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, UK AMEX Plat
I haven't stayed at the Indigo, but I have stayed at the HIX Soho, CP Kowloon East and IC Grand Stanford. HIX Soho is in a fairly good spot for sightseeing, and a decent price. CP Kowloon East is a really nice property, amazing treatment for Platinums, and cheap, but you need to be happy with a 20-30 minute trip on the metro to get to most places you'll want to be. IC Grand Stanford gave me a nice room as a Platinum (no Ambasador status), seemed friendly and helpful, wasn't a bad spot for Kowloon things, and not too far from the Star Ferry (but further than the other IC).
Old Feb 22, 2014, 11:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
A lot of it depends on where you want to sightsee and how much stuff you are carrying.

Moving between hotels is a pain, but the good part is the HK transport system is very good. Taxis are cheap - so outside of rush hour, going from the Hyatt Regency to the Hotel Indigo should cost less than $10 (avoid the western tunnel)

The Hotel Indigo is my favorite. A good location on Hong Kong Island the hotel has a hip cool vibe. Interesting fixtures and details throughout. Definitely get a corner room.

The Hyatt Regency has a great central location in TST, right ontop of the subway station. the IC HK is on the water and has the views. The grand stamford is a bit further away.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 12:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
thanks for the replies....i think i'll stick with indigo for this trip....i've never stayed at an indigo property before so looking forward to trying it out....
Old Feb 23, 2014, 4:54 am
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Keyser
thanks for the replies....i think i'll stick with indigo for this trip....i've never stayed at an indigo property before so looking forward to trying it out....
I agree with ericcheung -- the Indigo is different. Color-themed throughout. I got an upgrade from the basic room category to a Deluxe, which was a corner room.

One thing that may be a bit odd, though, is the open construction of the bathroom. The sink is visible from the room and there is no door. Not a problem if you're alone, but something to consider if you are with someone.

HTB.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 5:14 am

Although the toilet and shower are in separate cubicles with frosted glass doors - fine if you're travelling with a partner. Great hotel in excellent location - Wanchai market is right beside it for a bit of local life.
Old Feb 24, 2014, 1:25 am

Programs: TK-G | Accor P | SQ-G | Marriott T
Originally Posted by htb
I agree with ericcheung -- the Indigo is different. Color-themed throughout. I got an upgrade from the basic room category to a Deluxe, which was a corner room.

One thing that may be a bit odd, though, is the open construction of the bathroom. The sink is visible from the room and there is no door. Not a problem if you're alone, but something to consider if you are with someone.

HTB.
yeah, that's my reservation also if i am not travelling alone. there is literally no partition to bath room at all.

BTW, the hotel has no lounge
Old Mar 7, 2014, 2:34 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
I'm going to be in HK right after Xmas. Since it's 3 nights, I'm not excited to pay $200/night on my corp rate at GS, and certainly not $300 at the main IC. So I'm considering booking 3 nights with points.

Does either of the two properties give proper RA benefits for points stays, or do they both go by the book and give nothing?

I'll be in GS in a week, I suppose I can ask them, hm.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 6:01 pm

Would like to piggy-back and bring up this topic again... but this time we will be traveling with a toddler. We have 2 free award nights (from Chase card) and uncertain about which HK hotel to choose - IC or Hotel Indigo? Coming straight from the airport. Read that the IC (not stanford) needs 2 transfer on the train (but cheaper), while the Indigo has only 1 transfer but further. Only have Plat status, so, no expectations on breakfast. Looking for modern features in the room and easy access for toddler traveling. Thanks in advance.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 5:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Why not try the Holiday Inn Golden Mile on Nathan Road, right in the middle of things on Kowloon side? While not top of the range I found it was pretty ok and the location is unbeatable. It's a cheap and fairly quick bus ride from and to the airport (HKD33 on number A21) and you can walk everywhere in Tsim Sha Tsui, the hotel is on top of an MTR (subway) station and the Star Ferry is a short walk away.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 6:02 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, WR, AA Gold, Friend of Dorothy
Originally Posted by mamak04
Would like to piggy-back and bring up this topic again... but this time we will be traveling with a toddler. We have 2 free award nights (from Chase card) and uncertain about which HK hotel to choose - IC or Hotel Indigo? Coming straight from the airport. Read that the IC (not stanford) needs 2 transfer on the train (but cheaper), while the Indigo has only 1 transfer but further. Only have Plat status, so, no expectations on breakfast. Looking for modern features in the room and easy access for toddler traveling. Thanks in advance.
Both ICs are not modern. The Indigo is less than a year is and is very modern.

Taking a taxi from HKG to any of the TST hotels is about the same for two people on the express train to Kaloon.

I agree with the poster above. The HI Golden Mile is a good option. Also I like the HIX Soho. It's very good value and great location.

You may want to consider the HI Coti in Macau. It's one of the best HI worldwide.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.