Which Hong Kong IHG hotel to stay at?

Old Apr 18, 2016, 5:32 am

I am a fan of the Indigo, having stayed at IC and Holiday Inn Golden Mile. Great location for bars and places to eat. Short walk to MTR. You will get a better view from the Hyatt Regency TST than the IC in TST. But if you have choice of Hyatts in HK I would go for the Grand Hyatt on the Island side and get an upgrade to Club . The lounge has amazing views and is far superior to the IC offering, which I found rather underwhelming.
Old Apr 22, 2016, 1:56 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

I will be in Hong Kong for the first time in July and I booked at the ICHK. I reserved a junior suite, but it's showing executive suite on my reservation. I am guessing I got a free upgrade because of my Ambassador status, but I thought that they don't do upgrades until you check in. Hopefully the view will be as spectacular as the videos I have seen.
Old Apr 23, 2016, 3:47 am

Programs: Flying blue
If you use your legs then the peak also has a decent view.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 6:26 pm

I'll be using the free night cert with my Plat status. What's the best choice for free lounge access?
Old Dec 8, 2017, 7:01 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Not too many recent experiences here what I can read through in this thread. I wonder which IHG would suit me best for a 1-night stay, newbie in HK never been there and only flying through, landing saturday morning at 7-ish and leaving next morning 9am. I only need a bed to get some rest, otherwise I will make a first peek in the city I don't know where.
So my objective of the hotel is: CHEAP (using IHG points then preferably, and hoping I could utilize the new Spire perk of early morning check-in) and easy to connect back to the airport next morning. No breakfast, no frills, no bennies needed, i.e. a lousy HI will do.
What's the advice then?
Old Dec 8, 2017, 10:50 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by FFlash
Not too many recent experiences here what I can read through in this thread. I wonder which IHG would suit me best for a 1-night stay, newbie in HK never been there and only flying through, landing saturday morning at 7-ish and leaving next morning 9am. I only need a bed to get some rest, otherwise I will make a first peek in the city I don't know where.
So my objective of the hotel is: CHEAP (using IHG points then preferably, and hoping I could utilize the new Spire perk of early morning check-in) and easy to connect back to the airport next morning. No breakfast, no frills, no bennies needed, i.e. a lousy HI will do.
What's the advice then?
If you have plenty of points to burn, then I would recommend InterContinental Stafford or InterContinental Hong Kong. If you want to use less points, then there are plenty of options. Holiday Inn or Holiday Inn Express on Kowloon or Hong Kong Island.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 11:42 am

Holiday Inn on Nathan Road would be my recommendation.
Easy to get to (take the airport express train to Kowloon station and then the free shuttle bus to the hotel.Expect approx 60 min from leaving customs to hotel.
TST MTR subway is just in front of the hotel, shopping, restaurants, Star Ferry (cheap and great view) in walking distance.
On the way back take free shuttle bus and check luggage at Kowloon Station.Need to be there at least 2 hours before flight to check luggage.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 7:42 pm

My advice for a first time visitor is to stay on HK island as most of the sights are there - my two favorites are The Indigo in Wanchai and the CP in Causeway Bay. There are various HIs on the island which would fine for your stay - just take the Airport Express to Central and then a taxi or I think there may busses to your hotel. Having said that the IC on Salisbury Rd is great and they're very generous even on reward nights - RAs get full benefits including 2 category upgrade free minibar and Club.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
What's the advice then?
CHEAP is not a word in Hong Kong hotels - the cheapest points redemption would be CP Kowloon East 25k/night AFAIK - it's far away from the main part of Hong Kong but there's a bus that takes you to and from the airport - it's located closed to a metro station and a mall, there are several HIXs at around the same price - there's a chance you can get your bed early at an HIX if they have rooms available. If you want somewhere in "town" and cheap then the new HIX Kowloon will be the one.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 3:22 am

Programs: IHG Spire, Accor Gold
What's the advice then?
Originally Posted by Unterwegs
Holiday Inn on Nathan Road would be my recommendation.
Easy to get to (take the airport express train to Kowloon station and then the free shuttle bus to the hotel.Expect approx 60 min from leaving customs to hotel.
TST MTR subway is just in front of the hotel, shopping, restaurants, Star Ferry (cheap and great view) in walking distance.
On the way back take free shuttle bus and check luggage at Kowloon Station.Need to be there at least 2 hours before flight to check luggage.
Originally Posted by nacho
CHEAP is not a word in Hong Kong hotels - the cheapest points redemption would be CP Kowloon East 25k/night AFAIK - it's far away from the main part of Hong Kong but there's a bus that takes you to and from the airport - it's located closed to a metro station and a mall, there are several HIXs at around the same price - there's a chance you can get your bed early at an HIX if they have rooms available. If you want somewhere in "town" and cheap then the new HIX Kowloon will be the one.
CP Kowloon East is 35k pts / night. It is located above Tseung Kwan O MTR station, but can be a bit of a trek from the airport.

In an adjacent tower to the CP is the HIX Kowloon East, 30k pts / night, with breakfast served in a function room at the CP and (on the times I have stayed) was a typical hotel buffet as opposed to the HIX express start breakfast bar.

Mid range, HI Golden Mile, 40k pts / night, is more easily accessible (as explained above) and also well positioned to get out-and-about.

The cheapest point stay is at HIX Mongkok, 25k pts / night. On the right night the rates can also be as good as HKD 550-600 (+10%). This property also has a 5,000 bonus point package as standard for HKD 50 - 100 extra. However, it is not so easy to get to though. From Airport Express - Kowloon station would need to take free shuttle bus K5, alight at stop 1 (Yau Ma Tei MTR / Cityview), from where it is a 10min walk to the property. Also, breakfast (unless it has changed recently) is a choice of around 5 simple set menus (3 local / 2 western-ish) as opposed to the HIX express start breakfast bar. With the MTR 5-10 mins away the property can be a good base for exploring Kowloon / getting over to HK Island.

On an average night all the 4 HIX (Mongkok (25k), Kowloon East (30k), Soho (30k) and Causeway Bay (40k)) sell for around HKD 800-1000 (+10%) as can CP Kowloon East (35k), though more typically is around HKD1000-1200 (+10%), with HI Golden Mile (40k) similar.

Suggest entering the actual stay date and see what is shown. To get an idea of the location use the Map view option.

www.ihg.com/destinations/gb/en/hong-kong/hong-kong-hotels

ps - One extra consideration. If there are good rates for your stay, cash may be preferable to points and until 28-Feb all HK properties are offering a 5000 bonus point package for an extra HKD 50-100 as part of HK's 20th anniversary this year.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Can't believe the TKO properties are so expensive on points!

There's an airport bus 400m from HIX Mong Kok: https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopi...Hong_Kong.html
Old Jan 4, 2018, 3:39 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, oneworld Emerald
Originally Posted by Gagravarr
I haven't stayed at the Indigo, but I have stayed at the HIX Soho, CP Kowloon East and IC Grand Stanford. HIX Soho is in a fairly good spot for sightseeing, and a decent price. CP Kowloon East is a really nice property, amazing treatment for Platinums, and cheap, but you need to be happy with a 20-30 minute trip on the metro to get to most places you'll want to be.
I have stayed at HIX Soho, HIX Mong Kong, HIX Causeway Bay, HI Golden Mile and both CPs. As expected, CP Causeway Bay is the best, but CP Kowloon East is a great hotel too (aside from remote location). It had been a great value on points back then, but not anymore, sadly. HIX Sogo had been seriously bad – to the point I cancelled next night and moved to CP Kowloon East. HIX Mong Kok and MIX CB are okay, but nothing much to remember. Poor value on points now anyway. HI Golden Miles is a place to avoid: unpleasant (though central) location, high prices, average rooms. CPs are way better.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 3:47 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, oneworld Emerald
Originally Posted by AtomicLush
Has anyone stayed in all the Holiday Inn Express hotels in Hong Kong? In terms of convenience to the MTR, which one is best? The rooms and amenities look similar to me. And they are all around the same price point (although reward points vary greatly).
It depends on whether you are better staying on the island side or Kowloon.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 10:03 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
Originally Posted by barracuda93
It depends on whether you are better staying on the island side or Kowloon.
We already had our stay (as the post was from mid-2016, and we visited HKG in December 2016. We actually don't care if we're on the island side or kowloon side if we are close to the MTR. We find it so easy to get around that it doesn't matter to us. The issue for us is when staying at hotels like the IC and you have to walk a mile just to get to the MTR...so we are always looking for hotels that are within a couple blocks of the MTR or connected by shopping centers. Our first choice is usually staying at a hotel in Pacific Place, but sometimes for longer leisure stays, we need to save some of the cash for shopping and dining and not hotel rooms! I've stayed over at the Crowne Plaza Kowloon / Popcorn Shopping Center and that's nice - although entirely too far for leisure trips.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.