Priority Check-in, Personalised service and private check-in

Old Jan 19, 2014, 8:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Dia, IHG Plat, Le Club All Plat, Accor Plus, BW Dia, Millennium Gold, Sixt Plat, Hertz PC
Priority Check-in, Personalised service and private check-in

Being a Platinum member with IHG for some time, I've never experienced the mentioned Priority/ private Check-in benefit, this also happens even if I booked a suite that includes the so called Priority/ private Check-in. Everytime I check-in, I would head to the front desk, but isn't Priority/ private Check-in be at the Executive lounge? But then, how would you get up there without a key card? Usually there is also a "priority counter" at the front desk which on most occasions is unmanned.

Is there some method to initiate this process or everyone simply gets in line at the front desk despite having this benefit?
Old Jan 19, 2014, 11:19 pm

Have you noticed when you check in the front desk person just grabs a little folder? I remember somone saying that is considered priority check in. The have your paperwork done before you get there. Although I could be wrong on that.
Old Jan 19, 2014, 11:19 pm

Location: MEL, PER, PBO, occasionally ships, oil rigs and other places that no sane human being should ever find themselves
Programs: IHG RA, PC Plat, QF Plat/LTS
I'm an RA and stay mostly at IC's but in my experience your mileage may vary... GREATLY! Some places (IC Manila for example) have check in at the Club Lounge and it's accessed simply by taking the lifts up there but you wouldn't know unless you've been there before. IC Dubai Festival City have a dedicated Club/VIP check-in room. IC Hong Kong Stanford Plaza has a separate counter in the main lobby that seems to always be manned. Other places have a separate area of the same counter that may/may not be manned and if you walk up to the empty counter someone may/may not come over. They generally won't if there's no line at the regular counter, but then again, why should they? There's no wait at the "normal" counter so what's the difference. Crowne Plaza Lumpini Park Bangkok directs you from the main check in floor to a the Club floor where you're offered a seat, drink, towel, etc while they check you in. Once in awhile at the places that know me well I'm greeted by the GM or Duty Manager as soon as I walk in the door and then directed to a special area or am checked in while sitting in the lobby. This is especially true if I've taken their car service to the hotel. The rare times that I stay at a HIX or HI I usually don't get any special attention. So, after that long winded reply, there doesn't seem to be any specific rule that applies across the board and each property does what they want for who they want in my experience.
Old Jan 19, 2014, 11:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Dia, IHG Plat, Le Club All Plat, Accor Plus, BW Dia, Millennium Gold, Sixt Plat, Hertz PC
Exactly, there does not seem to be a protocol or procedure that applies across the board, each property does as they deem fit. Usually I'll write to the hotel's management either the FO Manager or GM for requests/ benefits that Elite member are entitled to. The only probable private check-in I've experienced would be at Pullman Phuket where I had a villa reservation.

As for that little folder, I think all reservations are contained in individual folders, except that the forms of loyalty members are pre-filled in since the hotel already has our details when we signed up for loyalty.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 4:52 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by InHere
Have you noticed when you check in the front desk person just grabs a little folder? I remember somone saying that is considered priority check in. The have your paperwork done before you get there. Although I could be wrong on that.
I get this as a status-less member...
Old Jan 20, 2014, 5:04 am
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by InHere
Yep. Happened to me in China the other day. Almost.

I arrived late at the hotel, show my IHG Platinum card, and the front desk clerk couldn't find my reservation. I pull out my laptop and show him the reservation including reservation number. The then keeps on looking and finally discovers that my reservation had already been prepared ahead of time in a little folder...

HTB.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 1:01 pm

Programs: IHG RA; Avis First
Its a pseudo benefit! CP Niagara has a dedicated desk there for Priority members but its always empty, I go there about 3 times a year for the past 5 years and never seen anyone there. Mind you usually when I check in there is no line up or only couple of people ahead of me so not a big deal to wait.

I remember going to HIX when I was Gold I think and they even had my key ready already, but it seems like they had a bunch of keys ready. In the end makes it easier for the staff to get it going as it will be quicker for them to process it.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 11:57 pm

HI Maldives gave us personal checkin. Took us aside to the lounge. Tagged out bags for delivery and gave us a free drink and cool towel whilst they copied passports etc.

What a great way to check in.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 6:22 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
This is much more likely to happen in Asia, where customer service is paramount and status is more iconic (even if it's IHG Plat ).

Almost certainly in every Asian hotel at HI standard and above you'll find a permanently manned Elite desk.

Thailand, in particular, goes heavy on the status entitlement. My experience is limited, but certainly the most welcoming check-in I've had occurred in Bangkok where we were taken to a separate desk and brought what would have been limitless drinks and snacks whilst the process was completed.

Would be interesting if a US or European hotel adopted the same policy - would we be more likely to return for the service, or are we all just encouraging bottom-feeding by always looking for the cheapest price?
Old Jan 22, 2014, 5:59 pm

In the US I love the checkin machines at some Marriotts and Hyatts, esp for lower end hotels. No fuss and they print the keycards without having to wait in long or slow lines.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 12:43 am
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Reminded me of this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inter...ueue-jump.html
Old Jan 23, 2014, 11:05 pm

Programs: KF Gold | IHG Amb | SPG LTG | HH Gold
Originally Posted by :D!
I get this as a status-less member...
Originally Posted by htb
Yep. Happened to me in China the other day. Almost.

I arrived late at the hotel, show my IHG Platinum card, and the front desk clerk couldn't find my reservation. I pull out my laptop and show him the reservation including reservation number. The then keeps on looking and finally discovers that my reservation had already been prepared ahead of time in a little folder...

HTB.
Well, all members should have this little folder (esp. for platinums) as according to protocol they are supposed to check you in and assign you a room before you arrive

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.