Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Busted, Uh... Roll of honor for busted Plats

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2014, 11:47 am
In memoriam
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Spire, UA Silver, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
Busted, Uh... Roll of honor for busted Plats

And in other news today, IHG has commenced its maiden Platbusting project to the sound of lengthy sighs as the Flyertalk PointPlats, having finally been tried and found guilty of insufficient stays, were busted to Gold.

Flyertalker BrightlyBob commented "ARGHHHH! Noooooo, not my Plat card so hard earned by signing up to loads of promo codes. You'll never take my Platcard alive IHGcopper" as he was thrown kicking and screaming (with considerable dignity, ahem) into the Gold cell...

Oh, the ignomy!

Let the rollcall commence...
Old Jan 14, 2014, 4:20 pm
WAS

Programs: National Parks Annual Pass
Add my name

Add my name to the list. Finally thought about it dispassionately and decided it was not worth it to chase. This year I will stay with Hyatt whenever I can and if I ever need more coverage than Hyatt offers, I will enjoy a free breakfast with Hilton or Marriott.
Old Jan 14, 2014, 5:58 pm

Include me. I was short 4 nights...
Old Jan 14, 2014, 6:16 pm

Programs: TK-G | Accor P | SQ-G | Marriott T
Well, I think in my case, because I am pressing them for Book and stay of the big win that not been credited properly.

I guess because of that they have realized I do not have enough night to qualify as Plat. So what can I do, since I am holding physical card that stated platinum until 2014?

I guess lesson learn, never make any enquiry to them. But I think I will put IHG as my less prefer program from now on and concentrate more on my Le Club
Old Jan 14, 2014, 8:25 pm

Programs: HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Gold; Club Carlson - Gold; Marriott - Silver; AA - Platinum
Yup, me too. Been Platinum for about 6 years and now down to Gold following the rule changes. I was one Saturday night stay of achieving the Big Win, but I just ran out of Saturdays.
And to complete this year's Big Win, I need to apply for their credit card, so I'm pretty much giving up on IHG apart from using up my points, probably on Point Breaks.

Edit: Just checked and my account is still showing Platinum. Have they not updated them yet, or have I somehow been given it?

Last edited by LotusSooty; Jan 14, 2014 at 8:55 pm
Old Jan 14, 2014, 11:07 pm

Programs: QFF, Velocity, USDM, PC, HH, SPG,
Mine's gone too. No big deal as I didn't have any stays planned anyway
Old Jan 15, 2014, 12:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.

I thought elite status is good through the end of February. Why are people being downgraded now?
Old Jan 15, 2014, 1:25 am
In memoriam
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Spire, UA Silver, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
Originally Posted by Fanjet

I thought elite status is good through the end of February. Why are people being downgraded now?
I know Marriott is end Feb to give themselves time to consider some of the busts, and of course for tardy hotels to get their stays in, but I'm sure IHG is straight year end. Since hotels at IHG can also be slow in crediting stays we have this delay, with my bust only coming yesterday.

In reality I doubt this was ever a subject with PC as the status was so easy to retain, anyone staying 10 or so nights could make plat, so platbusting only occurred to those (on this board) who'd stopped staying and hence weren't interested.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 5:52 am

Programs: BA S, VS S, SQ G, HH D, IHG D/A, Marriott G, Radisson G, Hertz PC
Down to Gold now too - I was actually surprised it lasted for 2/52 into 2014, I was expecting it to reset on New Year's Day! Have now taken out the Black VISA as part of the latest Big Win so should be back up to Plat once I've given them a call!
Old Jan 15, 2014, 8:30 am

Here's the email from October (waited until after the Oct 1 supposed cutoff point.) Guess 2014 has been downgraded to a very short year?

"We are pleased to inform you that your IHG Rewards Club membership level has been upgraded to Platinum. For your reference, below are the benefits accorded for Platinum members:

• All Club level member benefits, plus
• 50% point bonus on base points
• Priority Check-In
• Complimentary room upgrades available at check-in
• Guaranteed room availability (72 hours in advance)
• Access to the exclusive Platinum Elite Phone Number

We have ordered a new Platinum membership kit for you, which you shall receive within the next 2 to 4 weeks. Your membership level will be valid through the end of 2014. Please be informed that in order for you to retain your Platinum status, you have to accumulate at least 50 qualifying nights or earn 60,000 points in a calendar year. Otherwise, you will be downgraded to the next level of membership which will correspond to the amount of points or nights you have accumulated in 2014.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 8:37 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by BrightlyBob
I know Marriott is end Feb to give themselves time to consider some of the busts, and of course for tardy hotels to get their stays in, but I'm sure IHG is straight year end. Since hotels at IHG can also be slow in crediting stays we have this delay, with my bust only coming yesterday.

In reality I doubt this was ever a subject with PC as the status was so easy to retain, anyone staying 10 or so nights could make plat, so platbusting only occurred to those (on this board) who'd stopped staying and hence weren't interested.
In previous years IHG had downgraded my elite status in early January.

I'm not sure what happened this year, but I'm still showing as Platinum. Could it be that I re-qualified somehow? I'm rather shocked given I had so few regular paid stays last year at IHG hotels.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 9:19 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), Hilton (Diamond), Hyatt (Globalist)
i was a freebie plat but managed gold myself so that's fine. prob get the credit card tho next to get that bump up!
Old Jan 15, 2014, 10:46 am

Programs: SW Rapid Rewards - Companion Pass, HHonors - Diamond, IHG Rewards - Platinum Elite
I got dropped down as well. I was expecting it, although I'm a little bummed. I was only 3 nights short.

I did a status match from Hilton in September last year. I believe if I'd waited till October, they would have kept me at platinum through 2014.

I'm debating whether or not to sign up for the IHG Visa.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 11:32 am

Programs: FB Silver, QR Silver, LeClub Accor Silver, PC Plat
on the list too. now apart from the odd one-off massive bonuses stay, I guess I will just stay elsewhere!
Old Jan 15, 2014, 12:28 pm

I am pretty sure I will lose my status soon too, but to be honest its likely a good thing. IHG platinum means very little at most of their properties and the upgrades almost never happen (and now hotels have learned to just move you to higher floor of the same room so its even less valuable).

I have been staying at Marriott's more and am very impressed with their service. Even as a lowly silver member I often get room upgrades. On a whole it sucks to lose Platinum, but now that the program has changed I am not going to chase it. I will however, keep my ambassador status with IC as the free weekend night is pretty useful and the room upgrades are decent.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.