Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is Intercontinental really a luxury hotel brand?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2013, 8:42 pm
Original Poster

Is Intercontinental really a luxury hotel brand?

Marriott and Starwood have clear luxury brands. Hotels that are five star rated, yet IHG claims that Intercontinental is a luxury brand, but none of the hotels within that brand have a Five Star Mobil rating. Is Intercontinental supposed to compete with Ritz-Carlton, Four Seasons, and St. Regis? IHG seems to do a good job with the economy level lodgings but part of the reason I am not loyal to IHG is because I find that the Intercontinental hotels I have stayed at to be no different than a Marriott, maybe JW Marriott hotel.

Did IHG lose their focus or are they not interested in luxury?
Old Dec 10, 2013, 10:04 pm

Programs: PC Plat, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt plat,...
In certain areas there are some great intercontinental hotels. The one in Hong Kong (regular not Grand Stanford) was an over the top property.

Each brand has their own strengths and weaknesses.

Have you ever been to Four Seasons Westlake Village???
Old Dec 11, 2013, 12:35 am
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by Puppenstein
Marriott and Starwood have clear luxury brands. Hotels that are five star rated, yet IHG claims that Intercontinental is a luxury brand, but none of the hotels within that brand have a Five Star Mobil rating. Is Intercontinental supposed to compete with Ritz-Carlton, Four Seasons, and St. Regis?
Quite obviously not.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 12:45 am

Unfortunately their hotels are quite inconsistent. Some of the ICs are in the same league as the top brands (many of the properties in China for example), some are clearly not but still relatively good and some are nowhere near.

It still shows that in the past IC was a stand alone brand and was combined with the other brands via an acquisition. They just glued the loyalty programs together. That is wht you have the Ambassador program for the ICs and the Gold/Platinum program for the other brands.
Unfortunately they never re-branded the weaker ICs and never completely integrated the loyalty programs.

I believe it would be about time for a more consistent brand experience. Personally I am usually pretty satisfied with what ICs offer, but especially many their Resorts and some of the older properties need either a major overhaul or a rebrand.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 12:51 am

Programs: UA-lifetime Platinum (2MM), IHG-Amb, HH-Diamond, Hertz-PC, Marriott-Gold, CX-AM
Originally Posted by Puppenstein
Is Intercontinental supposed to compete with Ritz-Carlton, Four Seasons, and St. Regis?
IC hotels are not really luxury hotels but couple of IC properties are probably up to the luxury level you mentioned, for example, IC Hong Kong and IC Dubai Festival City. IC should be grouped together with Westin, JW Mariott, Grand Hyatt and Conrad, not 4 Seasons, St. Regis and RC.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 1:23 am
Suspended

InterContinental is certainly a luxury brand but in the lower level. It is a luxury brand aimed at mass rather than the luxury brands aimed at the exclusive groups. It is like Lexus VS Porsche. Both can be considered as luxury but Lexus is more accessible to the general public whereas Porsche is for the ultra-level. St. Regis and Four Seasons are what we call Ultra-luxury sector. So it is unfair to compare the mass luxury and ultra-luxury and say InterContinental is not luxury. It is luxury but not that much as St. Regis.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 4:02 am

Programs: DL GM and so on
Originally Posted by GordonGordon
IC hotels are not really luxury hotels but couple of IC properties are probably up to the luxury level you mentioned, for example, IC Hong Kong and IC Dubai Festival City.
Have they recently refurbished the IC Hong Kong? I truly hate their "luxury" lifted straight from the '70s. My hotel room is the last place on Earth where I need a setting like some ancient bureaucratic office.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 4:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by paulmoscow
Have they recently refurbished the IC Hong Kong? I truly hate their "luxury" lifted straight from the '70s. My hotel room is the last place on Earth where I need a setting like some ancient bureaucratic office.
Yeah. I could have mistaken the IC HKG (not Grand Stanford) for a good Crowne Plaza.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 4:13 am

Programs: Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
To be honest I wouldn't consider most St. Regis, Ritz and ICs to be luxury. I concider them high end hotels. Aman, Taj, Chedi, Mandarin, Peninsula... Those are real luxury brands.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 4:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
I would put IC on a par with Ritz Carlton. Clearly not Four Seasons or MO though.

They should look to Park Hyatt as an example. PH does now sit - alone - inbetween the Four Seasons /MO tier and the IC / Ritz Carlton tier. Achieving this within the confines of a chain / multibrand environment is impressive.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 4:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by Raffles
I would put IC on a par with Ritz Carlton. Clearly not Four Seasons or MO though.

They should look to Park Hyatt as an example. PH does now sit - alone - inbetween the Four Seasons /MO tier and the IC / Ritz Carlton tier. Achieving this within the confines of a chain / multibrand environment is impressive.
Ritz Carlton is step above IC's.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 6:25 am

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Maybe using top end watch brand analogy Luxury top end but different target markets. You can definitely say Rolex and Patek Philippe are both high luxury brands, but one brand is definitely more rarefied, considerably more desirable, and less obtainable.

My analogy would be that, IC Hotel's are positioned as 'Rolex' , whilst the Four Seasons positioned as Patek Philippe.

Whilst there may be a some overlap between higher end Rolex and lower end Patek Philippe, as a whole, Patek Philippe has the higher level of Luxury within a Luxury level, much as the same overlap exists when comparing our hotel brands.
Old Dec 11, 2013, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
I think you can call out examples of MO, SR, 4S and Waldorf Astoria properties which are far from luxurious. To me IC seems on a par with Starwoods SR and/or Luxury Collection chains, with WA, 4S and similar to with Starwood for Marriott some sort if hybrid of JW and RC.

I think the individual IC's are far more variable than perhaps their near cousins in other chains which makes direct comparison somewhat variable. Looking at the IC London Park Lane I would happily put it on a par with almost all other Mayfair luxury hotels. The IC Westminster in the same city Is less luxurious and could equally be a JW Marriott or Conrad.

IC does however tend to offer more relevant luxury to my needs with more emphasis on discreet attentive service and less on pointless "butler" services.
Old Dec 28, 2016, 10:05 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
I think you can call out examples of MO, SR, 4S and Waldorf Astoria properties which are far from luxurious. To me IC seems on a par with Starwoods SR and/or Luxury Collection chains, with WA, 4S and similar to with Starwood for Marriott some sort if hybrid of JW and RC.

I think the individual IC's are far more variable than perhaps their near cousins in other chains which makes direct comparison somewhat variable. Looking at the IC London Park Lane I would happily put it on a par with almost all other Mayfair luxury hotels. The IC Westminster in the same city Is less luxurious and could equally be a JW Marriott or Conrad.

IC does however tend to offer more relevant luxury to my needs with more emphasis on discreet attentive service and less on pointless "butler" services.

No,from exclusivity point, I would say Conrad > IC. There are handful Conrad in the world, every each one is one of the best in their location. there are also only 75 JW in the world, however 180 IC hotels.

Even the most exclusivity IC properties such as Hong Kong as you mentioned, is still a hustle and bustle big hotel like Grand hyatt, IC never reaches to the Four Seasons/ St regis tier. However there are some JW is very top-notch ranked as 5 star in US,such as Miami, Houston downtown one which competes with MO /FS in those locations.

The whole IHG group like Accord, is aimed at lower price market, so I don't put IHG with SPG, Marriott, Hyatt even Hilton in the same segment.

My rank would be, generally, Conrad>JW Marriott>= IC
Old Dec 28, 2016, 11:29 pm

In Thailand starwood is probably a luxury brand.....In Canada it's like sleeping in a ghetto.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.