Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I found it really hard to stick only to IHG

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2013, 9:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Qantas Platinum, United S

I have been using IHG exclusively for almost 5 years. I've maintained Plat Amb during this time.
The reason I came to IHG is its expansiveness and diversity. But now I found that its points are less valuable than that of SPG and Marriott, and the status quite means nothing except in Asia. When I wanna do road trips in US, many of the Marriott's properties like Fairfields Inn and Residence Inn are better than HIXs and Staybridges in the same region. Besides, Marriott points can be used for elite room types in nicer locations, but IHG points can only be used to get the basic room anywhere.
SPG usually has the best top properties when you are going for the most expensive ones in prime locations like NYC and those world famous islands like Bali, and Marriott's everyday-use level is generally better than that of IHG's.
Sometimes IHG have some really good properties, mainly ICs. Therefore I just buy the Amb status, and use my Chase credit card to maintain my Plat status.
It is really hard to keep in one program. I am now in three, and if I wanna try Four Seasons when I see the always good reviews of its properties, it is gonna be four for me...
Old Dec 1, 2013, 10:29 am

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by zyxlsy
The reason I came to IHG is its expansiveness and diversity. But now I found that its points are less valuable than that of SPG and Marriott, and the status quite means nothing except in Asia.
On a point-for-point basis, MR points do go a bit farther than IHG points. For example, in my local area the MR hotels go for 25-30k points and the IHGs go for 35k+. But points are not equal across programs. To make a fair comparison you must also consider how quickly you earn the points.

IHG and MR points both accrue at a basic rate of 10/dollar at most hotels, 5/dollar at a few brands. IHG Platinum status, which you can get simply by holding a credit card, adds a 50% bonus. MR Platinum also pays a 50% bonus but is only available by spending a considerable number of nights in their hotels. IHG tends to run slightly easier promos than MR. On the whole this brings the value of the two programs' points a bit closer together.

I do agree that IHG Platinum status means little, aside from the 50% bonus. The room upgrades I've gotten have never impressed me. Then again, the same is largely true of MR Plat status-- except, as you note, in Asia.

When I wanna do road trips in US, many of the Marriott's properties like Fairfields Inn and Residence Inn are better than HIXs and Staybridges in the same region.
For me, HIXs are the most compelling reason to stick with IHG. They are very consistent and generally slightly nicer than Fairfields and even Courtyards. They are cheaper than Residence Inns. They are also present in many smaller towns where there are no MR properties.
Old Dec 1, 2013, 12:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Qantas Platinum, United S
Originally Posted by darthbimmer
On a point-for-point basis, MR points do go a bit farther than IHG points. For example, in my local area the MR hotels go for 25-30k points and the IHGs go for 35k+. But points are not equal across programs. To make a fair comparison you must also consider how quickly you earn the points.

IHG and MR points both accrue at a basic rate of 10/dollar at most hotels, 5/dollar at a few brands. IHG Platinum status, which you can get simply by holding a credit card, adds a 50% bonus. MR Platinum also pays a 50% bonus but is only available by spending a considerable number of nights in their hotels. IHG tends to run slightly easier promos than MR. On the whole this brings the value of the two programs' points a bit closer together.

I do agree that IHG Platinum status means little, aside from the 50% bonus. The room upgrades I've gotten have never impressed me. Then again, the same is largely true of MR Plat status-- except, as you note, in Asia.

For me, HIXs are the most compelling reason to stick with IHG. They are very consistent and generally slightly nicer than Fairfields and even Courtyards. They are cheaper than Residence Inns. They are also present in many smaller towns where there are no MR properties.
I totally agree with your points. In fact, the reason MR and IHG points are the same to me is that I have this Ritz Carlton card and with $10000 annual spending, I get Gold status with Marriott. This gives me lounge access across the whole brands, although in US there is nothing in the lounges and booze costs extra. Last trip to JW Marriott Hong Kong, the lounge blew me away...

I like HIXs as well, and personally I think they are nice enough for road trips. Although I did notice that on Tripadvisor usually Marriott low level properties rank higher than that of IHG. I do love the idea that all HIXs are almost the same, but I often feel that the buildings housing HIXs usually have problems here and there, usually thin ceiling related noise issues and loud ACs. But in recent 4-5 times with Residence Inns I experienced no building quality issues. Maybe this is the reason Residence Inns run a little more expensive.

When I get MR gold and IHG plat, I just compare price and Tripadvisor ranking. If the prices are similar, I usually go for MR, especially in Asia. Last time in Shanghai, I got upgraded from the most basic fare to the club level, just because I have the status (only gold). IHGs in Asia would just get you one level up max. The exception is that in HIs in China, IHG Plat means upgrading to club level, free breakfast, free laundry (with a cap), free mini-bar (with a cap), etc. Sounds weird, right? One time I got all of these benefits in Shanghai with a HI, and my fare was $50 a night.

But since I got IHG Plat and MR Gold both through credit cards, I am actually shifting towards SPG and see whether I can work that out. It's My 24 is quite amazing, but it only has expensive properties in most part of the world, and four points in US are almost useless...

Man, looks like there is just no such thing as a silver bullet in this.
Old Dec 1, 2013, 12:11 pm

Holiday Inn Express is definitely the strongest brand within that group and I agree that it is tough to be loyal, especially considering that the point of earning all of those points is to use them for top notch vacations. Of which, there aren't many great resort options in my opinion to use them either. SPG and Marriott are tied in my book and if I can help it, I try to be most loyal to them.
Old Dec 1, 2013, 1:35 pm

Programs: Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
I use IHG and Marriott for most of my solo stays. Both chains offer good value, consistency and decent coverage. When I travel with my girlfriend or family I stick with LHW as their hotels are much nicer than what IHG, Marriott, SPG... have to offer.

As for the points, I usually am very flexible with my travels so I can redeem at point breaks rate most of them time so I get an incredible value out of the IHG program.
Old Dec 1, 2013, 2:13 pm
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
IHGs in Asia would just get you one level up max. The exception is that in HIs in China, IHG Plat means upgrading to club level, free breakfast, free laundry (with a cap), free mini-bar (with a cap), etc. Sounds weird, right?
Are you sure all HI in China do this? I know for a CP in Beijing that they only upgrade to Club from Deluxe, but not from the entry-level Superior rooms.

I made the mistake to book Superior with breakfast instead of Deluxe with breakfast one time. Both were the same price, but I wasn't upgraded to Club (which includes breakfast) because I didn't book a Deluxe room. Lesson learned and consistent Club access from thereon. That's why I also always booked a Deluxe room in the HIs I've stayed in in China.

HTB.
Old Dec 2, 2013, 8:24 am

Programs: Oneworld, Avios and IHG Spire Ambassador
....... but IHG points can only be used to get the basic room anywhere.
S
I used Points to book a room in London in the summer and was able to select a Suite.

I also almost always get upgraded so Platinum is good for me
Old Dec 3, 2013, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Ease of points (i.e. free nights) and PB is what keeps me here. No longer an RA which though I miss, don't miss much for what I get being Hyatt Diamond.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 3:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
PB is the main reason I stay with them. They also have flash sales that looks very attractive.

Mind you, when I was in the US, I use both MR and IHG, I was treated way better with my IHG Plat vs MR Plat. This happens even in the very low end Candlewood suites. I often score upgrade with IHG rather than MR (especially for those without a club floor).
Old Dec 4, 2013, 6:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Puppenstein
Holiday Inn Express is definitely the strongest brand within that group and I agree that it is tough to be loyal, especially considering that the point of earning all of those points is to use them for top notch vacations. Of which, there aren't many great resort options in my opinion to use them either. SPG and Marriott are tied in my book and if I can help it, I try to be most loyal to them.
The InterContinental Bora Bora is said to be nice. Amb's guaranteed upgrade quite works in top IC resorts. But last month I switched from InterContinental in Jimbaran to St. Regis in Nusa Dua at the last minute. I totally liked the St. Regis, but I figured IC in Jimbaran wouldn't let me down either. There are some nice ICs, and go there with Plat Amb is the thing. I have never been a RA. Would like to know how they treat RAs.

Originally Posted by htb
Are you sure all HI in China do this? I know for a CP in Beijing that they only upgrade to Club from Deluxe, but not from the entry-level Superior rooms.

I made the mistake to book Superior with breakfast instead of Deluxe with breakfast one time. Both were the same price, but I wasn't upgraded to Club (which includes breakfast) because I didn't book a Deluxe room. Lesson learned and consistent Club access from thereon. That's why I also always booked a Deluxe room in the HIs I've stayed in in China.

HTB.
Don't mention CPs... Last time I got upgraded from superior room in a CP in Beijing to a club room without the club benefits! Come on, what is that??? I stay only in HIs and HIXs (US) or ICs when with my wife.

Originally Posted by Bloobell
I used Points to book a room in London in the summer and was able to select a Suite.

I also almost always get upgraded so Platinum is good for me
Never experienced this... Maybe because I have never been to London...
Old Dec 4, 2013, 9:05 am

Programs: RA, UA MM 1k, AA EXP, Marriott LTP, Hyatt Plat, SPG100

I'm an RA and plat in both MR and SPG and I hands down get better treatment with IHG. IHG, in my experience, delivers on its promises of benefits and without asking. I rarely get upgraded at MR and SPG and often have to ask for minimum benefits. I wish I could keep all of my business at IHG, but with the amount I travel, I need and appreciate having options across chains.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
I primarily stay with IHG for IC's. I am (usually) RA but also Plat with SPG and Hilton Diamond.

I am not a huge fan of other IHG brands as I find the quality too variable. I have been staying in a few CP's recently which are broadly decent enough but HI's and HIX's range from truly awful to very high quality with no easy way to tell in advance of a stay.

I have had some very good HI stays recently but the chain is just too volatile for me. I will almost always pick a Starwood or Hilton property where available over a non IC, IHG property wherever there is a choice in a location. I make an exception though for CP's and HI's I know to be of high quality, but I wouldn't rely upon the brand alone, whereas I do do this with IC's.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 7:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kit125
I'm an RA and plat in both MR and SPG and I hands down get better treatment with IHG. IHG, in my experience, delivers on its promises of benefits and without asking. I rarely get upgraded at MR and SPG and often have to ask for minimum benefits. I wish I could keep all of my business at IHG, but with the amount I travel, I need and appreciate having options across chains.
I admire you... How many days do you stay at home a year...

Basically what I found is that all these chains in Asia deliver better benefits to elite members. Marriotts in China always treat me so greatly and get me to club levels with lowest rate. SPGs however tend not to be so proactive in upgrading.

In USA however, you always have to ask for things like upgrade... And other benefits like late checkout, it varies so greatly on different hotels. My experience is that SPGs are quite consistent with their promises, and IHGs (HIs and HIXs, lower end) are the worst.

Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
I primarily stay with IHG for IC's. I am (usually) RA but also Plat with SPG and Hilton Diamond.

I am not a huge fan of other IHG brands as I find the quality too variable. I have been staying in a few CP's recently which are broadly decent enough but HI's and HIX's range from truly awful to very high quality with no easy way to tell in advance of a stay.

I have had some very good HI stays recently but the chain is just too volatile for me. I will almost always pick a Starwood or Hilton property where available over a non IC, IHG property wherever there is a choice in a location. I make an exception though for CP's and HI's I know to be of high quality, but I wouldn't rely upon the brand alone, whereas I do do this with IC's.
The same question to you, how many days do you stay at home each year... I admire you too...

ICs with RA is non-beatable I think (never experienced), and Hiltons have very complicated but developed rules and protocols in treating elite members (SPG is following in developing similar systematic rules IMO). HIXs I mainly use them for road trips for sleep at night only, so no treatment doesn't really matter.

It is always better to have options so standing in multiple chains is a must these days it seems...
Old Dec 5, 2013, 1:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Not all points are created equal. IMO IHG points accrue much easier/faster than Marriott (or Hilton) due to the promotions, so a 35k room is probably cheaper than a 25k Marriott room.

I have so far been very satisfied with my IC stays (EMEA + APAC)
CP/HI/HIX are a different bunch but also there I think you get what you pay for. I also think it's hard to beat IHG on their ubiquity - you'll find them most anywhere you end up. In Tokyo the only Marriott property is a mediocre Courtyard, while there are 3 ICs there (4 if you count Yokohama)

I was RA for 3 years (note past tense ) and the bennies are super duper. As Amb it's also nice, but after RA... In EMEA and APAC the Plat treatment is also quite nice at the other brands.

All in all my choice of primary chain is overall availability and quality. All things being equal the loyalty programme tips the scale.
Old Dec 5, 2013, 3:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: RIP
I see no point in staying loyal to one program. Vote with your wallet. Consider all promos. Aim for status. Especially via CCs or matches/trials.

That said IHG is my favourite. But they just dont have hotels everywhere either.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.