Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Looking for "best spend" in Dubai advice

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2013, 7:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, DAL, blah, blah, blah...The usual.
Looking for "best spend" in Dubai advice

So...here's my available resources:
280,000 PC points. One Amex free night. Two Plat Ambassador BOGO certificates. The goal is 6-10 days in Dubai....staying as comfortably as possible while saving as much currency as possible for adventure.

I've NEVER been to Dubai, and neither has my significant other. (which is why we chose Dubai). I'm happy to spend out of pocket for good value, but that's just it...I'm looking for good value for a week in Dubai.

So...let's pretend were going to throw this holiday together in the Late January/early February timeframe,

Without having ever stepped foot into Dubai, It's hard to know what's good value for redemption, and what's good value for cash.
So I submit to you, you sandy travelers of such places...
Give me a nudge in the right direction, please!

Last edited by airmotive; Nov 29, 2013 at 2:01 pm
Old Nov 28, 2013, 9:12 am

Given your ambassador status I would suggest you put the ihg points and bogo vouchers to use at the Intercontinental Festival City. It is a highly rated property. I have never stayed there myself though. I have a 4 night stay planned at the Crowne Plaza Deira in December if you would like a report on that property at a later date?

This will be my first trip to Dubai, but I have spoken to a few people who have been and from what I understand the city is pretty spread out so there is not one central area that will put you in close distance to all the sights. That being said though, I have been told that taxis are plentiful and very cheap. So you should be fine in any location you choose.
Old Nov 28, 2013, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Festival City is a no brainer.

However ... you need to know that Dubai does not have huge amounts of public beach. If beach is your goal, paying for a beach resort is better. IC doesn't have any of those.

Everything is so spread out, and cabs so cheap, that once off the beach you should simply pick hotels on quality grounds. Festival City is the clear winner on that score.
Old Nov 28, 2013, 10:11 pm

Programs: IC Royal Ambassador, Hyatt Diamond
I got in on the Wideroe deal and I'm going to Dubai as well. We however have 16 days. If you have 10 days I would think about going to Abu Dhabi too. IC there is 35k a night. We are also heading out to the Liwa Oasis and staying at Qasar Al Sarab resort for a few days.
Old Nov 29, 2013, 2:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
16 is substantially too long in Dubai, unless in a beach resort! Imagine 16 days in Vegas ....

However, get a map out. the Maldives is a modest flight, as is India. Even Thailand is only 6 hours from Dubai. Various options available.
Old Nov 29, 2013, 6:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Raffles
16 is substantially too long in Dubai, unless in a beach resort! Imagine 16 days in Vegas ....

However, get a map out. the Maldives is a modest flight, as is India. Even Thailand is only 6 hours from Dubai. Various options available.
Completely agree a week is plenty in DXB. You might try other locations nearby though e.g. MCT.
Old Nov 29, 2013, 2:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, DAL, blah, blah, blah...The usual.
6, up to 10 days. Not 6 plus 10. ;-)
Probably looking at stopovers in Amsterdam and Paris going to/from. So 6 days max in Dubai. When it's February in Indianapolis, a cold beer under a warm sun is welcome anywhere! So even if it's mostly poolside on a rooftop, it's time well-spent.

Oops...edited to add...just saw Stinger's post. My bad.
Old Nov 29, 2013, 8:38 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by airmotive
6, up to 10 days. Not 6 plus 10. ;-)
Probably looking at stopovers in Amsterdam and Paris going to/from. So 6 days max in Dubai. When it's February in Indianapolis, a cold beer under a warm sun is welcome anywhere! So even if it's mostly poolside on a rooftop, it's time well-spent.

Oops...edited to add...just saw Stinger's post. My bad.

IC Amsterdam. 40K points (ie us$280) is always cheaper than lowest starting rates for cheapest room *Executive City View). Either use Bogo on weekend or points.

Similarly IC Paris Le Grand, 50k points = us350 (say 260 euros) when cheapest rooms are 350+ euros.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.