Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Room Occupancy changed by hotel in booking?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2013, 2:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver
Question Room Occupancy changed by hotel in booking?

I made an award booking over NYE at the Crowne Plaza in Glasgow. I booked the room for 2 adults.
Shortly after I received an updated from Award Wallet showing that my booking had been changed to 3 adults.

During the flash sale this week, I managed to book one of the nights at £45 and I then made a new award booking for the other 2 nights and cancelled the original booking. Both bookings were made for 2 adults.
Lo and behold, I received another Award Wallet notification that the booking has been changed to 3 adults again.

Any idea why this would happen? Is the hotel trying to bump up their occupancy rates or something? Should I be bothered about the change? I'm worried it could a prevent an upgrade if the better room has a 2 adult max occupancy.
Old Nov 27, 2013, 3:09 am

Programs: QF Emerald EY Plat HH D
This has been happening for years ,
Do a search and you will see hundreds of posts on this.
Old Nov 27, 2013, 4:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver
Ok thanks, I did try a search but clearly not the right key words, I persisted and see some examples now. Still no clear reason why it happens though.
Old Dec 1, 2013, 2:49 am

Programs: FB,BD,LH,EK,PC,HH,MR
Room Occupancy changed by hotel in booking?

Why not contact the hotel itself?
Old Dec 1, 2013, 3:49 am
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by jexelot
Why not contact the hotel itself?
Why not just ignore the change? Semms to be a much simpler solution.

HTB.
Old Dec 1, 2013, 10:40 am

Programs: UA-lifetime Platinum (2MM), IHG-Amb, HH-Diamond, Hertz-PC, Marriott-Gold, CX-AM
It usually happens after the hotel has modified your reservation, for example, room upgrade or any special request on your reservation. You can just ignore the number of guest on your reservation.
Old Dec 1, 2013, 10:58 am

Programs: BA BD SA
This happened to me after I had corresponded with the IC Westminster about the somewhat Spartan furnishings of certain rooms. When the number of guests changed on my booking I was baffled. Later it occurred to me that they did this to ensure that a more spacious room was blocked out for me. Pure conjecture, though.

OTOH maybe they think you are going to get lucky this new year's eve!
Old Dec 1, 2013, 11:01 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Gold, Virgin FC Red
Recently I had this happen, which then caused the estimated total price to more than double because the property concerned charged a high fee for the 3rd person!

A quick email confirmed the original price, but pretty sloppy on the IT side.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 2:45 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Plat, SPG & Marriott Gold, CC Silver
Originally Posted by britbronco22
I made an award booking over NYE at the Crowne Plaza in Glasgow. I booked the room for 2 adults.
Shortly after I received an updated from Award Wallet showing that my booking had been changed to 3 adults.

During the flash sale this week, I managed to book one of the nights at £45 and I then made a new award booking for the other 2 nights and cancelled the original booking. Both bookings were made for 2 adults.
Lo and behold, I received another Award Wallet notification that the booking has been changed to 3 adults again.

Any idea why this would happen? Is the hotel trying to bump up their occupancy rates or something? Should I be bothered about the change? I'm worried it could a prevent an upgrade if the better room has a 2 adult max occupancy.
I had this happen earlier this year - I had a booking in Paris that went from 2 people to 3 and the bed type changed to twin (over max occupancy for that room type).

I contacted Priority Club - they changed it back to the original reservation, then it switched again. People here told me not to worry because I had probably been upgraded. I hadn't and they did try to give us the twin bed room, so be prepared for that possibility.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 3:49 pm

Britbronco I have sent you a pm with some contact details for the hotel.
Old Dec 5, 2013, 1:02 am

Programs: F
Don't bother. The hotel will probably not have a clue about it. It will not affect your original booking and you will not get charged a third person fee.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.