Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Secure payment link: is it a hoax?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2017, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Exclamation The Secure payment link: is it a hoax?

Very surprised to have received this email (all the more surprised that I have stayed at this property last weekend and have not received such request

Dear Mr Nicolas75,

Thank you for booking at InterContinental London Park Lane.

We are contacting you since you have reserved a room under an Advance Saver rate for arrival on the Xth February, which requires full pre-payment.

For security reasons, we do not take payments directly from the card. Please follow the secure link in order to make the payment; the link will be valid for 48 hours.

Should you require any further assistance or information, please feel free to contact our Reservations Department on [email protected] or call us on +44 (0) 20 7409 3131.
The "secure payment link" that you have received in this e-mail is intended for the purpose of paying for products or services detailed in the attachment, and which you have previously agreed to purchase.

Please read the attached documents including the General Business Conditions before using the "secure payment link". Should there be any discrepancies, please immediately contact the sender of the offer and do not make any payment. Request a new offer with a new "secure payment link".

Only when you specifically acknowledge that you have agreed to purchase these services and that you have agreed to the General Business Conditions should you use the "secure payment link". Through your use of this link you confirm that you have received, read, understood and accepted the offer and the General Business Conditions attached to this e-mail.

The secure payment link

XX | Groups Co-Ordinator
InterContinental London Park Lane One Hamilton Place Park Lane, London, W1J 7QY

Do you think it is a hoax ?
Is it a new process?
If so, what is the interest to have to give again credit card details if they are one IHG Rewards file?
Old Jan 27, 2017, 1:22 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeBanyan Contributor Badge

Programs: We love to Fly, Hotels and Discovery
Thanks the info nicolas75, interesting e-mail, have you called the hotel and what do they say about this, is it real?

Cheers & Safe Travels. ^
Old Jan 27, 2017, 2:26 pm

Great way to welcome a returning RA.

At IC Osaka they dont even take a deposit for a first time customer (AMB), and provide best room.
Old Jan 28, 2017, 1:31 am
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
I think I'd forward the email to the hotel and inform them that you believe this must be an attempt at scamming.

After all you have already provided your credit card details during the booking process and no further negotiations about terms and conditions are necessary.

HTB.
Old Jan 28, 2017, 2:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by 336
Great way to welcome a returning RA.

At IC Osaka they dont even take a deposit for a first time customer (AMB), and provide best room.
It's a prepaid rate.

Sounds to me as if the property has lost out from disputed charges etc. I have never had that before at the PL but I can understand the change in policy. All reads too specifically to be a scam but I would double check.
Old Jan 28, 2017, 8:42 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
While at first glance it seems like a scam, it sounds like the reservation details are correct (property and check-in date, and the fact that you did in fact book an advance purchase rate), so I'm inclined to believe it's legitimate. That being said, I wouldn't provide my payment details before calling the hotel and verifying that this is their new process for advance purchase reservations.
Old Jan 28, 2017, 10:14 am

Programs: IHG Rewards Club Spire Elite, Hilton HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by dw
While at first glance it seems like a scam, it sounds like the reservation details are correct (property and check-in date, and the fact that you did in fact book an advance purchase rate), so I'm inclined to believe it's legitimate. That being said, I wouldn't provide my payment details before calling the hotel and verifying that this is their new process for advance purchase reservations.
Even if it is their new process, where in the IHG booking process does it say that despite giving your credit card details during the booking the hotel may still contact you and request them again? Something just doesn't sound right here, even if it has come from the hotel and isn't a scam as such.

How would it work for a flexible rate? Hotel unable to take credit card pre-authorisation at check-in or payment when you check-out? What would happen if you no-show and they can't then charge you? Why isn't every IHG hotel doing the same thing?
Old Jan 28, 2017, 12:39 pm
htb

Originally Posted by olympian
Even if it is their new process, where in the IHG booking process does it say that despite giving your credit card details during the booking the hotel may still contact you and request them again? Something just doesn't sound right here, even if it has come from the hotel and isn't a scam as such.
Exactly that!

I'm pretty sure this is not a scam. However, I'd be upset if I received a mail like that, and that's why I would bother the hotel with it, claiming to worry that it's a scam.

That should probably also be escalated to IHG -- after all they are implying that the IHG reservation process is not safe.

HTB.
Old Jan 28, 2017, 6:19 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by htb
Exactly that!

I'm pretty sure this is not a scam. However, I'd be upset if I received a mail like that, and that's why I would bother the hotel with it, claiming to worry that it's a scam.

That should probably also be escalated to IHG -- after all they are implying that the IHG reservation process is not safe.

HTB.
but remember it is IHG themselves who are managing the IC-PL post selling it 2years ago
Old Jan 29, 2017, 12:41 am

Programs: IHG Rewards Club Spire Elite, Hilton HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by scubaccr
but remember it is IHG themselves who are managing the IC-PL post selling it 2years ago
Yes, which makes it even more surprising that they'd be deviating from their own standard booking processes.
Old Jan 29, 2017, 1:12 am
htb

Originally Posted by olympian
Yes, which makes it even more surprising that they'd be deviating from their own standard booking processes.
Exactly. They are sending out reservation confirmations when making the booking. Unless your credit card is not valid (in which case I was contacted once by a hotel) there's no reason for the hotel to follow up on the reservation and demand additional steps to secure the room.

HTB.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
I had a call with in-house reservation services, which confirmed that this is a new procedure to prevent fraud.

When I said that I was surprised with such a procedure, the answer was: "oh, if you don't reply, your card will be charged anyway."
Old Jan 31, 2017, 5:06 am

Dear Mr Nicolas75,

I have replied separately to your e-mail address provided at booking stage, confirming that SaferPay is a new secure payment link system which was introduced at InterContinental Hotel Park Lane back in November to ensure that online payments are more secure.

I am happy to discuss this further should you require any further information.

Kind Regards,

Jurgita Juknaite
Reservations Manager
Old Jan 31, 2017, 11:37 am

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Jurgita
Dear Mr Nicolas75,

I have replied separately to your e-mail address provided at booking stage, confirming that SaferPay is a new secure payment link system which was introduced at InterContinental Hotel Park Lane back in November to ensure that online payments are more secure.

I am happy to discuss this further should you require any further information.

Kind Regards,

Jurgita Juknaite
Reservations Manager
Jurgita you should contact the threads moderator (FLYGVA) to be authenticated as a bona-fide IHG/IC-PL employee.

Reason anyone can spoof/pretend to be an official employee.

The moderator can then flag your userid is "real/legitimate"
Old Jan 31, 2017, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by scubaccr
Jurgita you should contact the threads moderator (FLYGVA) to be authenticated as a bona-fide IHG/IC-PL employee.

Reason anyone can spoof/pretend to be an official employee.

The moderator can then flag your userid is "real/legitimate"
I can confirm that I received an email from InterContinental Park Lane London from the same person.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.