RA Queries from an Unloved Plat

Old Oct 29, 13, 11:23 pm
Original Poster

RA Queries from an Unloved Plat

Hi,

It seems I have around 70 nights at one particular Intercon hotel, and have been Platinum Ambassador for a while.

I would like to get the Royal Bump. I understand all I will need to do is stay at two other IC properties. Some questions:

1. I might use the free weekend certificate for the two other IC stays. Will this count towards the "three stays". From what I have read, the stays need to be "points earning".

2. One of the guys at the front desk of my normal IC mentioned that you have to stay at 3 IC hotels on 3 different continents. Is that the case? All my IC stays will be in Australia.

3. My Ambassador membership expires in March 2014. If I qualify for RA now, and then renew Ambassador in March for the $200, will my RA status last until March 2015?

4. Anything else I need to do?

As an aside, have noticed zero difference between Ambassador and Plat Ambassador. Really surprising IC pay so little attention to people staying 70+ nights in their hotels... Never, ever get any decent upgrades, despite living in the hotel practically.

Many thanks,
Old Oct 29, 13, 11:28 pm
Original Poster

Actually, just reading some other threads, and it seems people ring up and ask for Royal Ambassador status. Any chance I'd be able to get that based on my VERY strong track record at the one IC hotel?
Old Oct 29, 13, 11:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, EK, IHG, SPG
The issue is that the '3 IC' rule is there to specifically stop people who live out of one particular IC but never visit others from getting it. This is probably because the burden of giving the benefits falls disproportionately on that particular hotel.

To be honest, if you spend that much money in one property then you should be able to negotiate similar benefits directly with them anyway.
Old Oct 30, 13, 3:55 am

Programs: AA ex Plat, IC Plat , Hilton Diamond
The longer you stay at a hotel, the less likely your are to get a big upgrade.(that my experience anyway). You do need multiple IC's but I would highly question the 3 continents comment.(there is a whole thread dedicated t speculation on the exact formula for becoming an RA.

General belief is all stays count, including rewards stays.

Plat Ambassador and Ambassador are generally treated the exact same at IC's with a few exceptions in Asia. RA is the only thing that will make a true difference.

Final comment: considering you can trade for this status..... I wouldnt spend to much time chasing the status, unless the other IC's are part of the normal vacation/travel pattern.
Old Oct 30, 13, 8:21 am

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by shawntobi View Post
The longer you stay at a hotel, the less likely your are to get a big upgrade.(that my experience anyway). You do need multiple IC's but I would highly question the 3 continents comment.(there is a whole thread dedicated t speculation on the exact formula for becoming an RA.

General belief is all stays count, including rewards stays.

Plat Ambassador and Ambassador are generally treated the exact same at IC's with a few exceptions in Asia. RA is the only thing that will make a true difference.

Final comment: considering you can trade for this status..... I wouldnt spend to much time chasing the status, unless the other IC's are part of the normal vacation/travel pattern.
I think it is any 3x different IC's, You don't need to travel to another continent. My year had only 2 continents, Europe and Asia, and stayed at ten different IC's, 3 in Asia (Bangkok, Manila, Saigon), the rest in European cities.

Personal Experience of my renewal shows Award Stays at IC's do not count.

I know because, I had 20 award nights in IC's in the 11months before my renewal date August2013, (+ a few HI. CP nights too), and I did not qualify as told I had enough IC night Stayed, but only 58 IHG Brand total stays and I needed 60 to requal as RA (IHG computers fail to recognise 5 or so missing stay nights manually corrected to qualifying).

The count check was made by an ambassador helpdesk supervisor. I was staying more nights in August anyway, so after they posted I hit the 60 target anyway.

Obviously counting just 2 of IHG award nights (IC or oter brands) would have made up to magic 60nights, let alone nearly 80nights

Basically unusually high number of award nights as i burnt my IHG points pile in summer 2013 when i read about the points thefts for amazon vouchers.

Last edited by scubaccr; Oct 30, 13 at 8:29 am
Old Oct 30, 13, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IC RA, Kimpton Inner Circle, Amex Plat
Based upon my own experience when I went well out of my way to rack up additional IC stays in the expectation of renewing RA, it is best to skip an IC stay or 2 and use the money saved on buying an RA referral. The RA referral is the only guaranteed certain way of keeping RA. I will not bother chasing earned status again when it is simpler, easier and cheaper to renew each year via a referral.
Old Oct 30, 13, 7:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles View Post
Based upon my own experience when I went well out of my way to rack up additional IC stays in the expectation of renewing RA, it is best to skip an IC stay or 2 and use the money saved on buying an RA referral. The RA referral is the only guaranteed certain way of keeping RA. I will not bother chasing earned status again when it is simpler, easier and cheaper to renew each year via a referral.
Thanks for the feedback. I think you are right, it's just not worth the trouble when I can just buy the status.
Old Dec 16, 13, 3:46 pm

Programs: IHG, RC, HH, AA, QF, UA, Aeroplan
Originally Posted by MilesDependent View Post
Thanks for the feedback. I think you are right, it's just not worth the trouble when I can just buy the status.
just call, with 70 nights they'll do it for you manually, for several years we've had very long term stays in one IC property, one year i had to phone to get it manually done, this year was at 155 nights three months prior to renewal in the middle of a six month stay, they sent the soft landing letter, i didn't worry about phoning hoping to get get both the ambassador and RA packs, then it adjusted in the system two months later without prompting.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: