Wiki Posts
Search

Non-Refundable Reservations

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2020, 2:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
Non-Refundable Reservations

Has anyone had any luck getting non-refundable reservations refunded because of the Virus? We where supposed to go to Philadelphia in July but we canceled our trip and I can't get the one night we booked at the Kimpton refunded on the website since it was a nonrefundable rate.
Old Jun 10, 2020, 3:55 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by hi55us
Has anyone had any luck getting non-refundable reservations refunded because of the Virus? We where supposed to go to Philadelphia in July but we canceled our trip and I can't get the one night we booked at the Kimpton refunded on the website since it was a nonrefundable rate.
Yes, I had an advanced purchase (non-refundable) booking at IC Osaka, which I cancelled and requested a refund via the IHG Call Centre. Hadn't received the funds after a month, so emailed the hotel directly, and the refund was back on my card within a week.
Old Jun 10, 2020, 4:54 pm

Programs: IC Amb.,FB,Hertz,Sixt
You need to call IHG, they will then contact the hotel to arrange it, it means hanging on the phone a few mins while they do it
Old Jun 10, 2020, 7:13 pm

Programs: NZ
Originally Posted by ninjalad
You need to call IHG, they will then contact the hotel to arrange it, it means hanging on the phone a few mins while they do it
Alternatively you could contact the hotel directly - that was what I did for a couple of bookings in April/May and got a refund quite quickly.

However ... I am not sure that IHG's current Travel Advisory allows for cancellation of bookings in July. It states:

"Existing bookings (bookings made through April 6, 2020) at all IHG hotels* can be changed or cancelled for stays up to June 30, 2020"

For bookings made after 6 April you were recommneded to book a "Book Now, Pay Later" or "Best Flexible Rate" if there was a possibility you would need to cancel.

Having said that I would contact the hotel anyway.

Last edited by minz56; Jun 11, 2020 at 2:20 am
Old Jun 11, 2020, 2:23 am

Programs: BA Gold
We had a nonrefundable booking for May. I just cancelled it online and the money was automatically refunded to my card soon after,
Old Jun 11, 2020, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by berkshirebound
Yes, I had an advanced purchase (non-refundable) booking at IC Osaka, which I cancelled and requested a refund via the IHG Call Centre. Hadn't received the funds after a month, so emailed the hotel directly, and the refund was back on my card within a week.
Whilst I welcome you to Flyer Talk when issues like this arise the context always matters and that includes the date of intended stay, date the booking was made and the refund policy for non refundable stays.at the time. Local laws and regulations may also be a factor and those will override hotel policies.

Curent policy on the website is that stays up until 30th June 2020 can be refunded even if it was a non refundable rate - and that aligns with the experiences others are reporting.

OP is due to stay in July which it outside of the current policy so I wouldn't hold out much hope but I would at least contact the hotel. They may be amenable to changing the dates of the stay rather than give a refund for example
Old Jun 11, 2020, 7:53 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
I had one for Hilton Head. It took them a month for cash flow reasons apparently, but I received the full refund.
Old Jun 16, 2020, 6:38 am

Programs: BA silver, AC *s p, A3, EI, KL, & UA nobody!
central reservation team do not do the refund.

Thanks for the comments and advice from others. I had cancelled a Non-Refundable Reservation under the COVD-19 arrangements 2 months ago with Central reservations, and as of 15 June had received no further communication with IHG. I Contacted Hotel at YVR direct with an immediate reply as follows:-
'Good day edinv,We will refund the following reservation right now. The reservation was cancelled by the central reservation team and they do not do the refund. The property needs to refund the following manually.
Sorry for the inconvenience we will send you the folio once the refund has been done.'
Now completed OK!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.