FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-one-rewards-intercontinental-ambassador-426/)
-   -   IHG Properties with Bonus Point Package higher than 5,000 points (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-one-rewards-intercontinental-ambassador/1514493-ihg-properties-bonus-point-package-higher-than-5-000-points.html)

Marriott15 Feb 26, 2019 11:50 pm

Again did the same thing. Emailed IHG let them know I made a 10k bonus point package. They had to subtract the 10k package that was posted as Hotel Promotion Points and then added as Loyalty Goodwill so they would be qualifying.

I now have around 70k elite qualifying points for 9 stays. Just need one more and I will be spire.

This is the 4th different agent this year that has done this for me. So again I know people want to say on here that they are not supposed to be but like I have stated on here many times the 10k packages need to get reversed to elite qualifying and you shouldn't have a issue. I have never ever been told in years that the 10k packages were not qualifying.

lwildernorva Feb 27, 2019 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by Marriott15 (Post 30826287)
Again did the same thing. Emailed IHG let them know I made a 10k bonus point package. They had to subtract the 10k package that was posted as Hotel Promotion Points and then added as Loyalty Goodwill so they would be qualifying.

I now have around 70k elite qualifying points for 9 stays. Just need one more and I will be spire.

This is the 4th different agent this year that has done this for me. So again I know people want to say on here that they are not supposed to be but like I have stated on here many times the 10k packages need to get reversed to elite qualifying and you shouldn't have a issue. I have never ever been told in years that the 10k packages were not qualifying.

I'm awaiting resolution of a claim for the 25K package at the Hotel Indigo in Brooklyn, but I agree that there is no particular reason these points aren't qualifying. For instance, with the 25K package, the cost on top of the BAR was $100 for the points which is in line with charges made at other hotels with packages at 5K or less. In fact, there's one hotel I use in Williamsburg, Virginia where the 5K package actually costs a bit less than a 4K package they also offer with no other discernible benefit difference. I don't understand the logic, but I also don't waste my time buying the 4K package.

Marriott15 Feb 27, 2019 11:21 pm

Originally Posted by lwildernorva (Post 30828780)
I'm awaiting resolution of a claim for the 25K package at the Hotel Indigo in Brooklyn, but I agree that there is no particular reason these points aren't qualifying. For instance, with the 25K package, the cost on top of the BAR was $100 for the points which is in line with charges made at other hotels with packages at 5K or less. In fact, there's one hotel I use in Williamsburg, Virginia where the 5K package actually costs a bit less than a 4K package they also offer with no other discernible benefit difference. I don't understand the logic, but I also don't waste my time buying the 4K package.

How long have you been waiting? Have they ever said they aren't qualifying? Also no where in the terms and conditions does it say its not qualifying!

lwildernorva Feb 28, 2019 6:21 am

Originally Posted by Marriott15 (Post 30830136)
How long have you been waiting? Have they ever said they aren't qualifying? Also no where in the terms and conditions does it say its not qualifying!

We're an email exchange or two in. I've had to provide the confirmation email I received from the Indigo which was no problem. I should hear something in the next 24 hours.

lwildernorva Feb 28, 2019 2:36 pm

And the claim has been resolved fully in my favor. Not only did I get credit for the 25K points from the Indigo, all 25K were credited as qualifying points for elite status. Since I still have two stays to do with an elite bonus package as part of my tasks under the current promo, I'll requalify as Spire with no more than 7 stays and 8 nights this year.

Marriott15 Feb 28, 2019 10:52 pm

Originally Posted by lwildernorva (Post 30832863)
And the claim has been resolved fully in my favor. Not only did I get credit for the 25K points from the Indigo, all 25K were credited as qualifying points for elite status. Since I still have two stays to do with an elite bonus package as part of my tasks under the current promo, I'll requalify as Spire with no more than 7 stays and 8 nights this year.

Great! End of the day what does spire really get you lol...

lwildernorva Mar 1, 2019 6:42 am

Originally Posted by Marriott15 (Post 30834146)
Great! End of the day what does spire really get you lol...

I think it depends on the property. I was at the Crowne Plaza Herndon near Dulles Airport in Northern Virginia last weekend and got a very nice upgrade to a suite on their club floor. Other places I've gotten virtually nothing. The points earning is higher, however, and if I can buy points as I did at the Indigo for about $4 per 1000 that also count for elite status, I think it's worth the minimal effort.

Marriott15 Mar 1, 2019 11:41 pm

Originally Posted by lwildernorva (Post 30835026)
I think it depends on the property. I was at the Crowne Plaza Herndon near Dulles Airport in Northern Virginia last weekend and got a very nice upgrade to a suite on their club floor. Other places I've gotten virtually nothing. The points earning is higher, however, and if I can buy points as I did at the Indigo for about $4 per 1000 that also count for elite status, I think it's worth the minimal effort.

I was just joking. I always try to press for free breakfast saying that I am spire.

enox5 Mar 9, 2019 4:58 am

I never check the bonus points packages at IHG as I assumed that they are not good value. Is this correct?

synergistic Mar 9, 2019 6:31 am

It depends, sometimes they're a great value. Sometimes they aren't a great deal outright, but they're required for a promotion that tips the balance. Sometimes it's not worth considering unless you're close to the end of the year and need the points to make status. The math is crazy simple, just run the numbers next time you're booking.

lwildernorva Mar 9, 2019 10:30 am

Originally Posted by enox5 (Post 30865390)
I never check the bonus points packages at IHG as I assumed that they are not good value. Is this correct?

Maybe worth it if you're interested in earning Spire status, and at most of the hotels where I've stayed, buying a points package comes at a price cheaper than any other method of buying points. Given that points with no discount cost $13.50 per thousand, even at a 100% bonus, you're paying $6.75. I've found plenty of points packages where the rate works out to purchasing $4 per thousand above a nonrefundable rate (at some hotels, purchasing a 5000 point package isn't much more expensive than purchasing a 1000 point package). Given that points packages are based on a refundable rate, that the points are elite qualifying, and that the cost can be much lower than any other avenue for purchasing points, I think it can be worthwhile. As part of one of the goals I need to meet the terms of a promotion, such as the current Rewards Nights Faster, I'll definitely buy.

Steven NH/BOS Mar 9, 2019 3:39 pm

HIE Memphis 10,000 bonus point rate in effect:

Memphis airport/Elvis Presley Blvd

Concerto Jul 14, 2019 8:52 am

I notice that the IC Malta is offering a bonus points package of 5,000 points on their Best Flexible Rate (€207.05) which costs only €7.05. In fact, if you take the 1,000 bonus points package it would cost -€6.45, which represents a reduction on the BFR, bring it to €201.60! Thought I would signal this extremely odd bonus points anomaly.

Actually, thinking about it, that would represent about €28 for 5,000 bonus points if you compare it to the Advance Saver Rate of €187.25. Seems an ok price for scooping up 5,000 points (although I personally have enough of them). If you don't take the points then breakfast would cost €11.55, which seems a good rate for an IC. Not sure why you can't take the extra points and the breakfast!

lwildernorva Jul 14, 2019 12:34 pm

Holiday Inn Downtown Dover, Delaware, 561 North Dupont Highway, is offering a 10K per stay promotion. I looked at a mid-August, mid-week stay, and the refundable rate was $129 before tax. Lowest nonrefundable rate without points for the same date was $79 with the lowest refundable rate at $94.

Sweet Willie Nov 6, 2019 6:12 pm

Holiday Inn Express : Chicago NW - Arlington Heights, IL
Holiday Inn Express: Largo-Clearwater FL
Holiday Inn Express: Clearwater East/Icot Ctr, Clearwater FL

are all offering a 10,000 bonus point package.

I've added this to the Wiki
-