Wiki Posts
Search

Kimpton SurfComber Miami Beach - Master Review Thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2013, 8:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: US CP, AA Plat, DL Silver, EY Gold, Kimpton IC, SPG Plat
Kimpton SurfComber Miami Beach - Master Review Thread

I spent the weekend at the Surfcomber. Although it's the building is vintage Miami Beach, the hotel itself is wonderfully renovated.

The deluxe ocean view room I received was a bright corner room with a big balcony and loungers for sunning overlooking the pool and beach. Unlike many of neighboring hotel pools, the pool area receives sun until relatively late and is open all night.

The beach offers complimentary loungers but an umbrella is $20.

Definitely will stay again.
Old Sep 24, 2013, 8:17 am

Programs: AA Ex Plt
Thanks for the Miami Kimpton reviews. If you had one weekend to spend in MIA, which Kimpton would you choose, The SurfComber or EPIC? Possibly up at the Vero Beach Kimpton?

Cheers
Old Sep 24, 2013, 9:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US CP, AA Plat, DL Silver, EY Gold, Kimpton IC, SPG Plat
What are the priorities of your trip?

Vero: Quiet beach side with large rooms (great LMD at the moment)

EPIC: Downtown Miami with great restaurant on site and plenty within walking distance

Surfcomber: Heart of South Beach across from Lincoln Road. Walk to Jackie Gleason or New World Symphony or any of the trendy clubs or dive bars. Most importantly, walk to La Sandwicherie for a late night snack
Old Sep 25, 2013, 9:53 pm

Programs: AA Ex Plt
Great info. Thank you!!!

It has to be either Vero of Surfcomber. I am one for peace and quiet on a beach but I lived in FL for 8 yrs in a former life and really do miss Cuban food. Tough choice

Cheers

Originally Posted by tangel
What are the priorities of your trip?

Vero: Quiet beach side with large rooms (great LMD at the moment)

EPIC: Downtown Miami with great restaurant on site and plenty within walking distance

Surfcomber: Heart of South Beach across from Lincoln Road. Walk to Jackie Gleason or New World Symphony or any of the trendy clubs or dive bars. Most importantly, walk to La Sandwicherie for a late night snack
Old Oct 6, 2013, 10:44 pm

Programs: DL 2.8 MM/PM, AA MM/GLD, Marriott LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by thegrailer
Great info. Thank you!!!

It has to be either Vero of Surfcomber. I am one for peace and quiet on a beach but I lived in FL for 8 yrs in a former life and really do miss Cuban food. Tough choice

Cheers
The Vero Beach Hotel is just down the street from Gloria Estefan's hotel -you can get great Cuban food in her restaurant while enjoying the wonderful beach at the Kimpton Vero.

Last edited by pbjag; Oct 22, 2013 at 8:16 am
Old Oct 20, 2013, 10:51 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by tangel
I spent the weekend at the Surfcomber. Although it's the building is vintage Miami Beach, the hotel itself is wonderfully renovated.

The deluxe ocean view room I received was a bright corner room with a big balcony and loungers for sunning overlooking the pool and beach. Unlike many of neighboring hotel pools, the pool area receives sun until relatively late and is open all night.

The beach offers complimentary loungers but an umbrella is $20.

Definitely will stay again.
Nice to hear. I used to Stay at this property when it was a Doubletree(Hilton). A lot of money was spent to fix it up, when it became a Hilton.

Looks like it's even nicer now.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 7:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Just booked the Epic and the Surfcomber for April. Any recent stay/experiences? New Properties for us. Thought we would try something different from the house in Boca and certainly wasn't going to spend +$900 a night for the RC South Beach, LOL.
Old May 14, 2018, 2:44 pm

Programs: Priority Club Platinum & Ambassdor, Hilton Honors Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Has anyone stayed at this hotel on points? If so, is the resort fee waived? Considering this hotel over the Z...
Old Jul 2, 2018, 6:27 am
Suspended

Programs: RIP
Impossible to book this via ihg.com?
A bummer as my CB site doesnt support kimpton.com

Edit: same issue with Anglers up the street.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 8:28 am

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
I've had no issues booking Kimpton properties through IHG.com. I'm looking at IHG.com right now and see both properties for tonight and tomorrow.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 4:05 pm

Any insight on how the Kimpton Surfcomber compares to the Kimpton Angler?
Old Oct 18, 2018, 7:30 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Two very different properties. The Surfcomber is very old school Miami Beach (and is on the beach) with smallish rooms. The Angler's is at the bottom of South Beach about four blocks from the beach and on a busy street with some road noise. There's a mix of interesting rooms there (I stayed in a two-story villa with a private hot tub).

FYI for anyone reading this thread; there's no longer a Kimpton Vero Beach property.
wotan2525 and mo270 like this.
Old Oct 18, 2018, 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
Two very different properties. The Surfcomber is very old school Miami Beach (and is on the beach) with smallish rooms. The Angler's is at the bottom of South Beach about four blocks from the beach and on a busy street with some road noise. There's a mix of interesting rooms there (I stayed in a two-story villa with a private hot tub).
Care to make NYE recommendation based on the properties I've stayed at in the past? I'll be using award nights so very unlikely I would be upgraded. I'm not concerned with dining or nightlife options. Those are always arranged by my friend (the one that pays for the tables lol.)

Fontainebleau - Love it for the pool and beach access. Rooms are ok.
EDITION - Love it for the spectacle. Rooms are fantastic.
ONE - Everything about it is fantastic. Except the cost.
Hyatt Centric - Mediocre at best. Forgettable at worst.
Crowne Plaza Z Hotel - Fine. Above average anywhere else but Miami. Average in Miami.

Thanks!
Old Oct 19, 2018, 7:03 am

Programs: HH Diamond; Marriott Tit, LTP;Omni Black;IHG Spire; Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
FYI for anyone reading this thread; there's no longer a Kimpton Vero Beach property.
Huh?
I just made an annual sale reservation for Feb. for the Vero Beach hotel.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 10:18 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Oops; my bad. I was thinking of the St. Petersburg (Zamora) location. Sorry!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.