Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador
Reload this Page >

IHG closed my acct. (after 25 Best Rate Claims) and noone will tell me why

IHG closed my acct. (after 25 Best Rate Claims) and noone will tell me why

Old Sep 17, 2013, 3:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
The logical consequence would have been not to accept the claim. If I ask you for something I am not entitled to you are free to say "no" but certainly not free to take my car, my wife or my points.
I am also free to say that I will do no further business with you
Old Sep 17, 2013, 3:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by notahappycamper
Let me try this again one more time, there was no such in rule in place at the time of my claims or at the time of my stays. The rule only came into existence a few weeks ago. Do I need to make that any clearer? I broke no explicit rules acc. to the t&c in place at the time.
Do you have a copy of the T&Cs of that time to substantiate this assertion. The website rules were updates on 30 July, but I haven't seen anything that shows that that was the date this rule was introduced
Old Sep 17, 2013, 5:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: SQ TPPS, EK Gold, IHG RA, Marriott Gold Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Gold, UA Premier Gold, TG Silver
Let me try this again one more time, there was no such in rule in place at the time of my claims or at the time of my stays. The rule only came into existence a few weeks ago. Do I need to make that any clearer? I broke no explicit rules acc. to the t&c in place at the time.
If I take you at face value (and I have no information which would lead me to do otherwise), I can't understand why they have done what they've done. They are not an irrational or emotional organisation. There's clearly more to this than you're prepared to disclose - which is of course your prerogative. However without that information I don't think you can expect support/empathy here.

Your easy acceptance of their decision also adds to my sense that there's something else going on. If you are adamant that you've complied with the rules you should have a good case to dispute their decision.

I can only conclude you've been caught fair and square.
Old Sep 17, 2013, 6:29 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Wan1dap
If I take you at face value (and I have no information which would lead me to do otherwise), I can't understand why they have done what they've done.
Some snippets from this thread:
"If I had to guess ( which is all that can be done here ), I would go that IHG is viewing that someone doing nearly 1 BRG a week is abusing the systems"
"I think people get tossed out when it appears as if they are using the program only for the BRGs"
"It wouldn't surprise me if someone just looked at your more than once per 7 day period BRG and the only explanation he could find how you got those approved was by cheating"
"all i can say is FINALLY! hopefully it reigns in those who have been taking advantage of the system. 25 BRGs only in one year only serves to disadvantage everyone, as IHG will realize how much money they are losing and completely revamp the system. Good on IHG"
Seems some people don't think like you (or me for that matter)
Old Sep 17, 2013, 7:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: SQ TPPS, EK Gold, IHG RA, Marriott Gold Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Gold, UA Premier Gold, TG Silver
Some snippets from this thread:
"If I had to guess ( which is all that can be done here ), I would go that IHG is viewing that someone doing nearly 1 BRG a week is abusing the systems"
"I think people get tossed out when it appears as if they are using the program only for the BRGs"
"It wouldn't surprise me if someone just looked at your more than once per 7 day period BRG and the only explanation he could find how you got those approved was by cheating"
"all i can say is FINALLY! hopefully it reigns in those who have been taking advantage of the system. 25 BRGs only in one year only serves to disadvantage everyone, as IHG will realize how much money they are losing and completely revamp the system. Good on IHG"
Seems some people don't think like you (or me for that matter)
What other people think isn't relevant ( although not sure why you included the last comment, as it doesn't support you). They have no more information than I do, because you've chosen not to provide it. Until you are prepared to disclose fully the practices (which may not be limited to BRG) you engaged in, we can't properly judge the action taken by IHG. Given that this appears to be an unusual case, based on examples quoted in the BRG thread, my view is that you are only giving us a small percentage of the story. Guilty in my opinion until you prove otherwise.
Old Sep 17, 2013, 7:57 pm

Programs: QF Gold, VA Plat, IHG Plat Amb, LCAH Gold, Hilton Diamond
I've come to acceptance quite easily, moving on with actually important things in my life. Of course now that they've treated me so poorly, anytime I can help a friend or family member I will definitely give them the BRG info. and help them make a claim. I am now motivated to get as many free nights as possible for people I care about- not everyone here on the forum. And I know a lot of sites. Of all my claims only 3 were rejected- (it was a little vague about how exactly identical the room types need to be). And that my friends is called closure.
As far as I can see, there's nothing really stopping you make BRG claims for yourself either. The BRG program is somewhat independant of the IHG Rewards program
Old Sep 17, 2013, 7:58 pm
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Wan1dap
Guilty in my opinion until you prove otherwise.
That reminds me of the USA's request that Irak proove it did not own any weapons of mass destruction.

Usually you can't prove that something does not exist. That's why most legal systems require to prove that someone is guilty and assumed innocent until being tried.

I have no doubt that the OP is telling the truth. The behavior of IHG doesn't strike me as strange at all. Their moral standards surrounding the BRG are very low to non existing.

HTB.
Old Sep 17, 2013, 8:00 pm
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by perthite
As far as I can see, there's nothing really stopping you make BRG claims for yourself either. The BRG program is somewhat independant of the IHG Rewards program
No -- they will exclude YOU from the possibility to claim BRG nights. So maybe another customer with the same name was also making claims and they assumed both are the same person? The OP would have to sue in court to find out what really went on.

HTB.
Old Sep 17, 2013, 10:08 pm

Programs: QF Gold, VA Plat, IHG Plat Amb, LCAH Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by htb
No -- they will exclude YOU from the possibility to claim BRG nights.
Yes, you are right - I missed the bit about being excluded from the BRG.
Old Sep 17, 2013, 11:00 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by htb
That reminds me of the USA's request that Irak proove it did not own any weapons of mass destruction.

Usually you can't prove that something does not exist. That's why most legal systems require to prove that someone is guilty and assumed innocent until being tried.

I have no doubt that the OP is telling the truth. The behavior of IHG doesn't strike me as strange at all. Their moral standards surrounding the BRG are very low to non existing.

HTB.
Your unsupported opinion of IHG's "moral standards" is irrelevant. It makes me think there's more to your story too. I don't doubt the OP is telling the truth, but I think he's only disclosed a small percentage of it, possibly the part not related to BRG. IHG's behaviour is not strange but it is unusual for them to take such a strong step. Based on reports here I can't recall a similar action being taken. We'll probably never hear the whole story, but until then I would take the view that IHG had good reason. These things are not done lightly or on a whim by a single indivudual. This would have needed approval several levels up the line.
Old Sep 18, 2013, 1:16 am

Programs: Who cares... status is a Red Herring.
Haven't read this entire thread but I have to ask.

1) Were all your stays BRGs? Or did you have some paid stays? Were there any points stays?

2) If you were doing points stays, did you ever use the cash & Points cancel trick?

3) Did you say that IHG ever sent a warning? Or just a cancel? And truly nothing? You just couldn't log in one day?

I ask, but I still see IHG's actions as odd. It would be nice to know if you were doing anything else abusive.

If not, this is dumbfounding and worrysome. You broke no rules. Furthermore, their own agents have to approve the dern things.

They also have a 50 nights per year rule. Perhaps they need a rule, small print saying, if you have stayed 25 nights and the majority are BRGs then you could be in trouble. But there is no such rule.

I really would like to hear IHG's take on this.
Old Sep 18, 2013, 1:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I am also free to say that I will do no further business with you
Sure. But you could not take the rebate earned away and could not refuse to deliver what you already have contracted for....
Old Sep 18, 2013, 1:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by htb

HTB.
^^

Thank you.
Old Sep 19, 2013, 10:06 pm

Programs: IC RA, KrisFlyer, Evergreen
Based on the limited facts the OP has furnished us with, I have to say that I can't really fault IHG for doing what they did. When someone makes 25 successful BRG claims but only has a single night's paid stay, the stay pattern indicates that the guest is not a revenue generator but someone out to game the system. As a small business owner, I can see why IHG put the kibosh on the OP's account.

I know a local cafe that has a no-questions-asked policy which allows customers to exchange their drinks if they don't like it in any way. If a person were to buy a drink there, drink 1/3 of it, then exchange it for a new one and repeat ad nauseam, I'm sure the cafe would revoke that customer's privilege.

Even though IHG has a notorious history of not accepting valid BRG claims, based on what the OP has told us, I see a similar pattern of abuse and therefore don't think IHG can be blamed for this one.
Old Sep 19, 2013, 10:54 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mister__big
Based on the limited facts the OP has furnished us with, I have to say that I can't really fault IHG for doing what they did. When someone makes 25 successful BRG claims but only has a single night's paid stay, the stay pattern indicates that the guest is not a revenue generator but someone out to game the system. As a small business owner, I can see why IHG put the kibosh on the OP's account.

I know a local cafe that has a no-questions-asked policy which allows customers to exchange their drinks if they don't like it in any way. If a person were to buy a drink there, drink 1/3 of it, then exchange it for a new one and repeat ad nauseam, I'm sure the cafe would revoke that customer's privilege.

Even though IHG has a notorious history of not accepting valid BRG claims, based on what the OP has told us, I see a similar pattern of abuse and therefore don't think IHG can be blamed for this one.
^ but incredibly, some here accuse THEM of having low moral standards. Low moral standards have been displayed, but not on IHG's part.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.