Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador
Reload this Page >

IHG closed my acct. (after 25 Best Rate Claims) and noone will tell me why

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IHG closed my acct. (after 25 Best Rate Claims) and noone will tell me why

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2013, 1:06 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hertz Plat, Centurion, too many airlines
all i can say is FINALLY! hopefully it reigns in those who have been taking advantage of the system. 25 BRGs only in one year only serves to disadvantage everyone, as IHG will realize how much money they are losing and completely revamp the system. Good on IHG!
Old Sep 15, 2013, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by htb
.. in most countries would be reason for legal action as well -- no matter what is written in the T&Cs. It's pretty much like your bank telling you that they won't do business with you any more and confiscate your money.

HTB.
No its not like this at all.
Old Sep 15, 2013, 6:59 pm
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by azepine00
No its not like this at all.
Actually it is. I don't see this style of arguing leading anywhere, though. The sun revolves around the earth and the earth is flat.

HTB.

Last edited by htb; Sep 17, 2013 at 6:59 am Reason: correction: added "leading"
Old Sep 15, 2013, 7:00 pm
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by scubaccr
BUT he did not earn his points fair and square, but received mostly due to his BRG nights requiring paymenr later refunded by IHG.
Wrong. He earned most points through a credit card signup and only a few to BRG mistakes.

HTB.
Old Sep 15, 2013, 7:59 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 100k
If the OP followed the rules, and they took away only things that he had earned legitimately then I would advise suing in small claims court. It's minimal hassle to do, and a lot of hassle for them to deal with - and most likely they will make a settlement offer to avoid the hassle and expense of dealing with it.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 1:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by taipeiflyer
all i can say is FINALLY! hopefully it reigns in those who have been taking advantage of the system. 25 BRGs only in one year only serves to disadvantage everyone, as IHG will realize how much money they are losing and completely revamp the system. Good on IHG!
The BRG has been introduced for marketing reasons (convince clients to book on ihg, with higher margins for the group and better understanding of customers choices) and to monitor the pricing policy (important for a franchise group).

Still, it is obvious that OP has played with the limits of the system. It is therefore not so suprising that ihg does want to lose money with him/her (by the way, I always find pathetic that kind of behaviour: if you can't/do not want to spend money, don't book a hotel).
Old Sep 16, 2013, 4:55 am

I know it is probably an unpopular sentiment on here, but i genuinely think he got what he deserved - he didn't go in with a good faith intention to purchase a hotel room for the night - he went in with the intent of getting free nights
Old Sep 16, 2013, 5:03 am

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Well 25 free nights at somewhere in range $100-300 means a saving of somewhere between $2500-7500.

Value of confiscated 100K points is (based on points+cash 10k=$70) nominally $700, although free points from C/card + BRG Stays where Op had to pay upfront.

all in all that is a saving to Op of $1800 - 6700, so I don't feel sorry for the OP, as he had a very good run, and was never interested in giving IHG any paid business.

I also suspect the 1x Paid night mentioned was a failed BRG attempt by Op?

If too many OPs do exactly this stay pattern, BRGs only, no paid nights unless a failed BRG attempt, then IHG would need to reduce or limit claims allowed.
Maybe IHG should anyway, set a reasonable number of BRG's per calendar (or rolling 12month) year , say 18 BRG nights. I think 3-4 BRG t+c revisions ago, there was some yearly limit? Then the more frequent single night BRG'ers would know where they stood.

Last edited by scubaccr; Sep 16, 2013 at 5:09 am
Old Sep 16, 2013, 5:28 am

Programs: IHG
Originally Posted by dmw144
I know it is probably an unpopular sentiment on here, but i genuinely think he got what he deserved - he didn't go in with a good faith intention to purchase a hotel room for the night - he went in with the intent of getting free nights
I agree with your view.

This guy ran a mini business operation intent on bagging as many free nights as possible.

The shutters came down and not too soon in my opinion.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 5:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dmw144
As does pretty much every single person who applies for the BRG. Given that, in common with virtually all rate guarantees programmes, the BRG asks you to make your claim within 24 hours of booking, you already have to know that there is a better competing rate at the time you make the booking. The odds of somebody booking a room and then coming across haphazardly for a cheaper rate elsewhere within 24 hrs are extremely remote.

In effect, a "best rate guarantee" programme is an (implicit or explicit) advertising claim that the cheapest rates are virtually always on the hotel's chain's own proprietary distribution channels rather than those of third parties and the BRG is a mechanism to give some credence to the claim. If an individual routinely invokes the BRG successfully, the individual shows the claim to be a sham.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 6:26 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by htb
Wrong. He earned most points through a credit card signup and only a few to BRG mistakes.

HTB.
So, if he "earned" them, they are income and he's reporting the fair market value of those points as income?

Can't have it both ways. Either freebies are an asset in which case they are income when earned or they aren't an asset and there's no tax consequence.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 7:17 am

Programs: *A Gold, HH dia,Hyatt plat,Sixt PLAT,QF , EY Gold
Has the OP received all the funds back from the Brg's that were AP ? If not I wonder if they are still going to pay him out
Old Sep 16, 2013, 8:50 am

Programs: SK Gold, ITA Executive, Sixt Diamond, Hertz PC, Avis PC, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by htb
1) anaihghotels.co.jp (an exclusively Japanese site) has lower rates than ihg.com. When you book in ihg.com and find a lower rate elsewhere, they'll compare that rate to anaihghotels.co.jp and refuse the BRG claim because you didn't check ALL IHG sites in ALL languages before making your booking on ihg.com. That's utterly dishonest.

Got stung by this about a week ago
Old Sep 16, 2013, 10:08 am

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Originally Posted by dgwright99
If the OP followed the rules, and they took away only things that he had earned legitimately then I would advise suing in small claims court. It's minimal hassle to do, and a lot of hassle for them to deal with - and most likely they will make a settlement offer to avoid the hassle and expense of dealing with it.
^ That would be my course of action. While some may say that the OP abused the BRG, it was set up by IHG and as long as he followed all of the T&C in place at the time, there's no justification for IHG's actions. It sounds like IHG changed the rules recently to tighten up the program.

Notahappycamper, this thread outlines my suing of BMW in small claims court. My car was under warranty when the battery died. They charged me $384 to replace the battery, saying that my 'driving profile' (driving too many short trips) caused the battery to die.
I followed all of the steps to sue them in small claims court, suing them for $784 and they settled out of court. It's easy to sue in small claims court and IHG will almost certainly settle rather than go through the legal expenses. http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=446367
Old Sep 16, 2013, 10:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by Often1
It could also be that OP's BRG conduct caused an audit of his account and that revealed something else entirely. Thus, the account was closed.

Nobody here, including OP knows.

Bottom line is that he was fired as a customer.
I don't take it as the OP was fired as a customer, just that they were fired as a loyalty customer. I doubt that if the OP booked a room for $150 as a non-member, that they'd cancel the reservation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.