Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador
Reload this Page >

IHG closed my acct. (after 25 Best Rate Claims) and noone will tell me why

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IHG closed my acct. (after 25 Best Rate Claims) and noone will tell me why

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2013, 10:15 pm
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
If I were to summarize this thread: IHG decided to proudly guarantee the lowest rate if booked through one of their sites (which one may vary and it is up to you to find out which one provides the lowest rate). However, they don't seem to like people who only book with them when a lower rate is available and will kick these people out of the (completely unrelated to the BRG program) IHG Reward program, voiding all points in that program.

About half of the people here seem to think that this is standard business practice. No wonder courts are overrun these days.

HTB.
Old Sep 21, 2013, 11:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: SQ TPPS, EK Gold, IHG RA, Marriott Gold Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Gold, UA Premier Gold, TG Silver
Originally Posted by htb
Good luck to you -- and no reason to get personal.

HTB.
Ditto
Old Sep 21, 2013, 11:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: SQ TPPS, EK Gold, IHG RA, Marriott Gold Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Gold, UA Premier Gold, TG Silver
Originally Posted by htb
If I were to summarize this thread: IHG decided to proudly guarantee the lowest rate if booked through one of their sites (which one may vary and it is up to you to find out which one provides the lowest rate). However, they don't seem to like people who only book with them when a lower rate is available and will kick these people out of the (completely unrelated to the BRG program) IHG Reward program, voiding all points in that program.

About half of the people here seem to think that this is standard business practice. No wonder courts are overrun these days.

HTB.
No, the thread is about one individual's case. He admitted that he gamed the system and then complained when IHG acted according to the T&C of the system, which he agreed to simply by using it.
Old Sep 21, 2013, 11:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by htb
No, can see that in a specific case where a person did 26 stays without paying and 1 where a payment was made, that the hotel group decided that this person was abusing the offer

This does not correlate that anyone who uses the scheme will be disliked
Old Sep 22, 2013, 12:40 am
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by htb
Actually, IHG would have to explain why they had the right to kick him out, not the other way round. However, IHG "conveniently" refuses to even talk to the OP. Go figure.
Correct.

The way this would be expected to be "played out" if put before a UK court is that IHG would be told that it is for IHG to frame a set of rules that is both fair and achieves exactly what it desires -as long as that is fair and clear. It isn't impossible or difficult. That could be a simple statement like IHG will only consider 5 claims per year per person or something else that is both clear and not unfair.

The truth is that IHG wants it's cake and wants to eat it. They wish to grandstand a claim of offering unbeatable value of which they are so confident they make a great offer, but when the value is illusory and beaten they wish to dishonour the promise and the person benefitting from it.

It is for IHG to make a clear and fair set of rules and it is for their customers to gain as much benefit from them as they can.

To simply confiscate points earned that have both a value and belong to the customer is plainly unfair.
Old Sep 22, 2013, 2:39 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by uk1
Correct.

The way this would be expected to be "played out" if put before a UK court is that IHG would be told that it is for IHG to frame a set of rules that is both fair and achieves exactly what it desires -as long as that is fair and clear. It isn't impossible or difficult. That could be a simple statement like IHG will only consider 5 claims per year per person or something else that is both clear and not unfair.

The truth is that IHG wants it's cake and wants to eat it. They wish to grandstand a claim of offering unbeatable value of which they are so confident they make a great offer, but when the value is illusory and beaten they wish to dishonour the promise and the person benefitting from it.

It is for IHG to make a clear and fair set of rules and it is for their customers to gain as much benefit from them as they can.

To simply confiscate points earned that have both a value and belong to the customer is plainly unfair.
What has a UK court got to do with it? He won't risk taking it anywhere near one. Read the list of tricks and cheats he's admitted to further up the thread. How "fair" would a court find that? Check the whole story before pontificating.
Old Sep 22, 2013, 6:34 am
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Wan1dap
What has a UK court got to do with it? He won't risk taking it anywhere near one. Read the list of tricks and cheats he's admitted to further up the thread. How "fair" would a court find that? Check the whole story before pontificating.
Could you please point out that place or tell us what "list of tricks and cheats he's admitted to"? I remember that he stated that he followed the T&C in place at the time of his claims to the letter. Please stay with the facts.

HTB.
Old Sep 22, 2013, 6:53 am

Programs: VA, SQ, IHG, HH,ALL, Europcar
From what I can see - IHG has been underhanded and immoral in the way they have treated this customer

If they offer a BRG they need to honor it. Maybe shut down the program if people can find a better rate for all of there stays.

I have to say as an Ambassador I am finding that my dealings with IHG are not all they should be, and while you have the right to query your account or bills - I have done this twice this year - and each time no reply - I am about to follow up.

There are lots of hotels out there that I can stay at - if I am going to be loyal to one brand - I want something back. Otherwise why would I be loyal.

I know when I worked in the travel business there was a saying that a customer stopped shopping around for price after 3 transactions - not sure if I believe that
Old Sep 22, 2013, 7:28 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by htb
Could you please point out that place or tell us what "list of tricks and cheats he's admitted to"? I remember that he stated that he followed the T&C in place at the time of his claims to the letter. Please stay with the facts.

HTB.
Post#147. Classes himself with all those who cheat and trick. Please don't deny the admitted facts.
Old Sep 22, 2013, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by Wan1dap
Classes himself with all those who cheat and trick.
NONSENSE: He wrote he "gamed the system" with "a number of BRGs and some bonus promo codes" and I thought most of us are here to learn more about these tricks (and similar tricks)?

Last edited by Marevna; Sep 22, 2013 at 10:01 am
Old Sep 22, 2013, 9:59 am

Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
The logical consequence would have been not to accept the claim. If I ask you for something I am not entitled to you are free to say "no" but certainly not free to take my car, my wife or my points.
Well written.
Old Sep 22, 2013, 10:07 am

Programs: PC Platinum, CC Gold Elite, VS Red
Originally Posted by Marevna
NONSENSE: He wrote he "gamed the system" with "a number of BRGs and some bonus promo codes" and I thought most of us are here to learn more about these tricks (and similar tricks)?
Indeed. May he who has not used any codes found on this forum throw the first stone.
Old Sep 22, 2013, 2:11 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by uk1
It isn't rubbish at all.

I only step in temporarily to tell you that amongst others, the UK and Australia have specific laws that invalidates clauses and terms and conditions in consumer contracts that are unfair.

Basically no consumer terms and conditions however clear and even when customers agree to them in the UK are enforceable if unfair.

You can debate with others your personal opinions about what is unfair or not but in the UK I am pretty certain that whilst it may or may not be deemed to be fair or unfair to do no further business with a customer exploiting a programme like this, it would almost certainly be seen that confiscating points already earned would be.

It is clearly nonsense to state that points have no value, and that once earned or purchased that they are not the property of the customer.

The points aren't declarable as income but are considered to be either purchased or a discount on previous stays to be taken on future stays. They are not income and therefore not taxable.
How can OP have a contract with IHG for BRG nights when he has not actually paid for them?

I think OP may have gotten off very lightly, as it sounds like IHG instead of simply canceling the BRG for the night, could (and I think should have) charged the OP for the IHG brand reservations he booked and BRG'd against, basically reversing the BRG acceptance.

OP would obviously have had the option to still use nights he was now paying for.
Old Sep 22, 2013, 2:21 pm
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by scubaccr
How can OP have a contract with IHG for BRG nights when he has not actually paid for them?

I think OP may have gotten off very lightly, as it sounds like IHG instead of simply canceling the BRG for the night, could (and I think should have) charged the OP for the IHG brand reservations he booked and BRG'd against, basically reversing the BRG acceptance.

OP would obviously have had the option to still use nights he was now paying for.
If you re- read my post it was wholly about the confiscation of his points.
Old Sep 22, 2013, 2:27 pm

Programs: MR Gold, IHG Gold AMB
Originally Posted by scubaccr
They entered into contract when the reservation was made. Afterwards they mutually agreed to adjust the rate to zero (OP by submitting the claim, IHG by accepting it as a valid one). What's so difficult about that?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.