No Hot Water - Standard Compensation?

Old Feb 19, 2013, 3:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver
No Hot Water - Standard Compensation?

Hi all,

I'm currently staying at a Crowne Plaza, this morning there was no hot water and I had to take a cold shower. I was wondering what other people have received in compensation for this occurance?
I am paying myself, so I would rather have a cash discount from the bill rather than reward points, especially as the reward points would be unlikely to count towards status.
Does 50% off that night's stay seem reasonable? (It is only 60 per night).

After I had my shower this morning I went to the front desk to inform them that I was without hot water.
The first response was that they are aware of the problem as lots of people have reported it, no apology though.
I then said I hoped there would be a discount made to my bill, to which the clerk said that I should have called to report the problem and they would have provided me with another room!
Obviously this was a ridiculous thing to say, I didn't have time to be moving rooms in the morning before work, and it sounded like most other rooms were without hot water anyway!
Old Feb 19, 2013, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inter...d-shower.html?
Old Feb 19, 2013, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inter...t-cp-sin.html?
Old Feb 19, 2013, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inter...ight-5am.html?
Old Feb 19, 2013, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inter...-too-much.html
Old Feb 19, 2013, 4:09 pm
Original Poster

Thanks nicolas
Old Feb 19, 2013, 7:33 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by britbronco22
Thanks nicolas
Hmm if you only paid 60 for room you can not expect a credit, even if in points to exceed your room cost. 25K points equate to us$180 or 117 or double your room price.

Any compensation will relate to room price paid by you. eg Paris Le Grand messed up both nights of my birthday stay last Octiber 2012 due to room issues, and without asking, Paris LG gave me 2x 10K points vouchers.

As you might imagine IC Paris LG for 2nights is well over 60, so the in effect I got compo of $70/night x2 nights which I was happy with. My Paris LG inconvenience is to my mind, far more worse just a cold shower first thing in the norning.

With such a low room cost maybe a 50%b reduction/saving is a fairer offer, or 5000 points equating to us$40/night.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 7:45 am

Programs: FB Plat, EB Gold, TK*G Elite, PC Plat, Club Carlson Concierge
Originally Posted by scubaccr
With such a low room cost maybe a 50%b reduction/saving is a fairer offer, or 5000 points equating to us$40/night.
I disagree that "no credit should be expected due to the low cost" (as mentioned in the beginning of scubaccr post.

I agree that a 50 % discount or at least some sort of compensation (E.g. indeed 5k points) is reasonable.

Also I would put in a complain to hotel management about the front staff as based on your description they handled this extremelly poorly! I have only experienced a situation like this once (no hot water) and front staff was trying their best to apologies and received a discount on my room rate - though I don't remember the amount.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 7:44 am

Programs: AS MVPG 100k
Originally Posted by Banko
I disagree that "no credit should be expected due to the low cost" (as mentioned in the beginning of scubaccr post.

I agree that a 50 % discount or at least some sort of compensation (E.g. indeed 5k points) is reasonable.
+1
Old Feb 21, 2013, 1:55 pm

Programs: UA *S , MR LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
If I do not get hot water in the morning my demand would be the full refund of that night's rate - for me it is a cardinal requirement to provide hot water. In fact I have received 50% of for luke-warm water...which was a tolerable yet not a nice shower experience.

Greetings - Dirk
Old Feb 23, 2013, 11:43 am

Programs: WN peon (was A+), IHG Plat Hilton HHonors Gold DL SkyPesos PM (still a peon) US Chmn, Hawaiian Haole
I was offered and accepted 25,000 points for no hot water at a HIX in Pasco WA, last year. The hot water was out for the entire hotel. I thought 25K was acceptable compensation for my cold shower.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 3:28 am
Original Poster

When I checked out I asked again for a discount, I was told that none of rooms had hot water so nobody was getting anything. So the person that told me I could change rooms was lying.
I have now written to guest relations stating the facts and asking for at least 50% refund or 10k points.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 4:06 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors Diamond; A3 *Nothing ; BA Exec. Club Gold
Originally Posted by britbronco22
When I checked out I asked again for a discount, I was told that none of rooms had hot water so nobody was getting anything. So the person that told me I could change rooms was lying.
I have now written to guest relations stating the facts and asking for at least 50% refund or 10k points.
No one had hot water so no one was getting anything? What kind of twisted logic is that? If no one has hot water e eryone should be compensated.

I think you are too reasonable, i would go for the number of points you need for a free night stay or a 1 night 100% monetary refund. A cold shower is like others have said a major event in a hotel.

Globalist
Old Feb 24, 2013, 9:58 am

Programs: IHG
How about NO water at all for 6.5 hours? That's what's happening tomorrow, here at IC Berchtesgaden. Not even in the middle of the night either..
Old Feb 24, 2013, 4:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Globalist
No one had hot water so no one was getting anything? What kind of twisted logic is that? If no one has hot water e eryone should be compensated.

I think you are too reasonable, i would go for the number of points you need for a free night stay or a 1 night 100% monetary refund. A cold shower is like others have said a major event in a hotel.

Globalist
I just got a reply from guest relations, they agreed to award me 10k points compensation.
You are probably correct that I could have asked for more points, but it is 25k per night, so not far off 50% of a night, and considering the stay was only 57 for that night, I think 10k points is ok and probably better than a 30 refund.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.