FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-one-rewards-intercontinental-ambassador-426/)
-   -   IHG signs up for a US Mastercard (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/intercontinental-hotels-ihg-one-rewards-intercontinental-ambassador/1433732-ihg-signs-up-us-mastercard.html)

NJUPINTHEAIR Jan 31, 2013 8:36 am

IHG signs up for a US Mastercard

http://www.pymnts.com/news/businessw...20130130005304

Unknown what bank will offer it and when.

Also, could this signal the end of the PC Visa?

See:

naming MasterCard as the exclusive co-branded card for IHG’s hotel loyalty rewards consumer credit card portfolio.

mrredskin Jan 31, 2013 11:53 am

this could equate to another 80k churn if thru chase

NJUPINTHEAIR Jan 31, 2013 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by mrredskin (Post 20160727)
this could equate to another 80k churn if thru chase

Well, Chase I believe issues the Amtrak M/C so I guess it is possible and I would prefer to have a M/C over a Visa since my wallet is Visa heavy, but I am not at all sure that the new card would repeat the $49 annual fee for the free night, not to mention automatic Platinum elite status in the P/C program.

mnredfox Jan 31, 2013 11:08 pm

I can't imagine this being "exclusive" as they claim. I don't see PC Chase going away.

kanerf Feb 1, 2013 5:19 am

I hope it is not Chase. They have too many loyalty cards as it is and as I currently have 4 from them, they won't let me apply for another. Understand that some of these cards were not Chase when I got them and were merged over when Chase bought other banks. I could dump some, but there is no guarantee that Chase would let me get others.

mia Feb 1, 2013 8:45 am

Most of Chase's own branded cards (Slate, Freedom, Sapphire, Ink) are available in both MasterCard and VISA versions. There is no reason IHG would need to split with Chase to move their affinity cards to MasterCard network.

fozziedoggie Feb 1, 2013 12:16 pm

Not obvious to me

Not the sharpest tool in the shed, so I'm going to ask the question. What difference does it matter whether you have a Visa or MC? Aren't they both accepted at the same exact places equally? Does one have better offerings/benefits over the other?

Please enlighten me.
:confused:

NJUPINTHEAIR Feb 1, 2013 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by fozziedoggie (Post 20167379)
Not the sharpest tool in the shed, so I'm going to ask the question. What difference does it matter whether you have a Visa or MC? Aren't they both accepted at the same exact places equally? Does one have better offerings/benefits over the other?

Please enlighten me.

Sometimes there are deals only for MC users and vice vers for Visa users. As I have the Marriott and P/C Visas, I could use a MC of some sort.

fozziedoggie Feb 1, 2013 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by NJUPINTHEAIR (Post 20167427)
Sometimes there are deals only for MC users and vice vers for Visa users. As I have the Marriott and P/C Visas, I could use a MC of some sort.

Seems as I suspected. Banks partner with either Visa or MC based on their contracted perks/percentage/other, and the consumer must choose that card if they wish to do business with the bank...kind of "take it or leave it" I suppose. I never understood why there just wasn't one or the other since they're basically identical in world-wide acceptance. Doesn't really bother me, I have one of each. ^

mnredfox Feb 1, 2013 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by kanerf (Post 20165027)
I hope it is not Chase. They have too many loyalty cards as it is and as I currently have 4 from them, they won't let me apply for another. Understand that some of these cards were not Chase when I got them and were merged over when Chase bought other banks. I could dump some, but there is no guarantee that Chase would let me get others.

Rather be Chase than BOA or Citi.

lycidas1 Jul 9, 2013 3:10 pm

No more Chase IHG Visa?

Don't know if it's just me/my computer, but I can't find an app for the Chase IHG visa anywhere. App pages either don't load, or I get redirected to Chase's main CC page. Maybe the card died?

soitgoes Jul 9, 2013 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by lycidas1 (Post 21068895)
Don't know if it's just me/my computer, but I can't find an app for the Chase IHG visa anywhere. App pages either don't load, or I get redirected to Chase's main CC page. Maybe the card died?

No, it didn't die. However, with the PCR-->IHGRC branding change, some links died.
https://creditcards.chase.com/a1/ihg/pcrredemption60k

sanFF Jul 11, 2013 5:07 am

I agree

`

Originally Posted by NJUPINTHEAIR (Post 20167427)

I had to get a AA MC just to join in the $50 weekend stay with PCR. It is actually hard to find a MC branded with any travel rewards entity. I only hope they do not increase the fee above $50 as I will probably will ditch the card if they try to increase it to $100 annual fee or more.

I have had my Priority Visa for 5 years now and am very happy if it remains.

martinp13 Jul 11, 2013 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by fozziedoggie (Post 20167379)

Please enlighten me.

Generally, yes, they are both accepted, but there are exceptions. Sam's Club in-store accepts MasterCard (and Discover), not VISA (nor AmEx). And as NJUP said there are MasterCard-specific and VISA-specific deals/coupons/offers.