Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador
Reload this Page >

Ever left something in a hotel room on check out and hotel claim they don't have it?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ever left something in a hotel room on check out and hotel claim they don't have it?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2013, 10:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, HH Diamond

Hi.

As per title we stayed in an IHG hotel last weekend. On check out my wife left her purse in the open safe.

She missed it the next day and we called the hotel and they checked the room and it had gone.

They confirmed no guests checked in after us and are currently investigating.

Has this happened to anyone else? If so what was the outcome?

I must say I haven't been happy with the way it's been handled so far.

G
Old Jan 13, 2013, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
I have left 3 times swimming suits in a room after check-out (Armani, Gucci, Prada).

In all cases, I was told nothing was left in the room...
Old Jan 13, 2013, 11:44 am

Programs: Delta SM, ICH PLAT
Geoggy: What do you expect the hotel (any hotel) to do? Immediately lock down the hotel and interrogate the cleaning staff while you hold the line?

If the cleaning staff found something, they will either report it, or put it in lost-and-found. Very seldom will a hotel proactively contact the customer, and even if they do, it is not immediate (within a day or 2).

The hotel gave you the standard CYA response. They don't have any reports of anything found. They will probably make an attempt to ask the cleaning staff and look in the lost-and-found. They may or may not do it in a timely manner. I'm not saying it is good customer service, but it is within their legal obligations.

Ultimately, you have no recourse. It is your word against theirs. There are enough legal CYA verbiage in your contract to relieve the hotel of lost items.

Also, I have often "lose" items while traveling that I later find I didn't pack at all. Your wife may have left the purse in the safe, on the table, in the elevator, or maybe in the cab, the airplane. How reliable is human memory, especially after a hectic day of traveling?

Please continue to call them (if they don't call you back), and report back here. Good luck!
Old Jan 13, 2013, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Happens all the time.

Have you ever not read the find print on hotel's responsibilities on things that locked up in the safe? Let alone it is not even locked up...
Old Jan 13, 2013, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Some different experiences at luxury hotels:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...ry-hotels.html
Old Jan 13, 2013, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

At Marriott hotels:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...ost-items.html
Old Jan 13, 2013, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

At SPG property:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...-policies.html
Old Jan 13, 2013, 6:44 pm
JBa

Programs: some
Yes. Noise canceling headset. Was told housekeeping didn't find anything in room.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 7:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
You leave stuff in the room at your own peril. Period.

If they find it, they'll overnight it to you if you give them an account # or CC.

Do you have any idea how many people leave stuff in rooms every day?
Old Jan 14, 2013, 12:55 am

Programs: FB Plat, EB Gold, TK*G Elite, PC Plat, Club Carlson Concierge
Have tried leaving a macbook charger at an IHG hotel in London, called the hotel in the evening and they confirmed they had found it so had a colleage pass the hotel and pick it up the day after.

Have also left Bose noise cancelling headphones and my Omega watch in a locked safe at Radisson in Schiphol, was nervous it would be gone when I called the hotel in the afternoon. However got hold of housekeeping and they confirmed it was there, once again had a colleague pick it up for me.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 1:02 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by Geoggy
Hi.

As per title we stayed in an IHG hotel last weekend. On check out my wife left her purse in the open safe.

She missed it the next day and we called the hotel and they checked the room and it had gone.

They confirmed no guests checked in after us and are currently investigating.

Has this happened to anyone else? If so what was the outcome?

I must say I haven't been happy with the way it's been handled so far.

G
Or she left it somewhere else....
Old Jan 14, 2013, 1:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
It was George Carlin who said, "ever notice how whenever you lose something the first thing you think of is 'who stole it' "? (paraphrase)
Old Jan 14, 2013, 3:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, HH Diamond
Thanks for all the replies

I guess you can never be 100% certain where you lose something but as I saw it in there 10 minutes before we left and reminded her then I am fairly sure that's where it was left.

I don't expect much from the hotel but if I was a manager of a housekeeping team that had a "potential" dishonest member in it I would want to know if that was the case.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 5:16 am

Programs: DL DM+5MM, AAGold MM, UA 1K+2MM, BA GGL,LH Senator, SPG Plat, HH Diamond, HY Plat
Originally Posted by Geoggy
Thanks for all the replies

I guess you can never be 100% certain where you lose something but as I saw it in there 10 minutes before we left and reminded her then I am fairly sure that's where it was left.

I don't expect much from the hotel but if I was a manager of a housekeeping team that had a "potential" dishonest member in it I would want to know if that was the case.
If you were 100% certain, yes you may have a point about hotel management, but before pointing the finger 100% to the hotel staff perhaps being certain of where your wife forgot it might be more correct.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 5:36 am

Was in a mad rush and left my travel wallet with passport, some cash and plastic in IC Warsaw. Realized it was missing about an hour later, called in and picked it up from the reception deck.

My GF left some cosmetics in IC BKK a while ago, "no any item left inside your room".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.